The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > British Royal Residences

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
I don't get it. Why hire a professional decorater for a house you are only renting? Much less one you are only going to be living in for another 2 years. Unless they are secretly purchasing the property I don't see the point. Professional decorators are extremely expensive.
Why not? It really depends on how much work you do with the decorator, and what the work might be. If they largely confine the scope to moveable pieces of furniture and soft furnishings, they will be able to move with their things.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Nobility

As an interior designer, more than once I have been called upon to help make a rental property more appealing and enjoyable by suggesting paint colors, advising on fabrics and other furnishings that could later be moved to another home. It's all about creating a welcoming environment, even in a rental.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:09 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
As an interior designer, more than once I have been called upon to help make a rental property more appealing and enjoyable by suggesting paint colors, advising on fabrics and other furnishings that could later be moved to another home. It's all about creating a welcoming environment, even in a rental.
Okay, I get that. It just struck me as rather strange at first until I read the responses and got a different picture of what they may be trying to accomplish. I imagine they will be doing more entertaining once they are married as well which would explain having someone come in to help make their temporary home more inviting.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat View Post
Okay, I get that. It just struck me as rather strange at first until I read the responses and got a different picture of what they may be trying to accomplish. I imagine they will be doing more entertaining once they are married as well which would explain having someone come in to help make their temporary home more inviting.
It really wouldn't surprise me one bit if that after renting the place in Wales as a temporary residence while William serves in the RAF there, they've found a special attachment to the place and have worked it out to actually buy the place for a permanent home in the country. With that in mind, they would most certainly want to change things around to suit their taste and make it "theirs". I was just wondering something. In time should William be created the Prince of Wales and actually resides in Wales, how long since a previous PoW has actually resided in Wales? Anyone know?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by texankitcat
. Unless they are secretly purchasing the property I don't see the point. Professional decorators are extremely expensive.
Let's be honest, they can very well afford it regardless of how long they rent/live there.....And can you imagine how much renter the owner could charge once they move out? Live where William and Kate lived!
Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 PM
Royal Highness

Per RoyalReporter

Likewise, every time since Nov it's been reported that Will and Kate were to set up home in BP or KP, courtiers have said StJP for moment.
web • 4/9/11 4:55 AM

So St James Palace it is for now, I suppose
Old 04-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Courtier

What about Lancaster House when they start their own family?
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Apparently it's currently used for government recpetions, but they could move
Old 04-13-2011, 03:52 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdm View Post
What about Lancaster House when they start their own family?
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Apparently it's currently used for government recpetions, but they could move
Lancaster is managed by the FCO, so not very likely!
Old 04-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSJ View Post
Per RoyalReporter

Likewise, every time since Nov it's been reported that Will and Kate were to set up home in BP or KP, courtiers have said StJP for moment.
web • 4/9/11 4:55 AM

So St James Palace it is for now, I suppose
It seems to me that St James Palace has virtually no controversy associated with it. BP would afford them no privacy. I think a lot of people would like to see KP turned over to the government like Marlborough House. It doesn't address the issues of expense if they were to purchase a top flight apartment. Apartments in Windsor Castle would probably not be convenient. I don't know if there are any estates available in Windsor Park.

I am curious as to what the apartments look like in StJP. I know that Prince Charles lived there when he separated. I've heard that Princess Anne has a place where she can change clothes and use as an office. Can someone point out a floor plan?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacomartin View Post
It seems to me that St James Palace has virtually no controversy associated with it. BP would afford them no privacy. I think a lot of people would like to see KP turned over to the government like Marlborough House. It doesn't address the issues of expense if they were to purchase a top flight apartment. Apartments in Windsor Castle would probably not be convenient. I don't know if there are any estates available in Windsor Park.

I am curious as to what the apartments look like in StJP. I know that Prince Charles lived there when he separated. I've heard that Princess Anne has a place where she can change clothes and use as an office. Can someone point out a floor plan?
There are some floor plans here

st james's palace.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Aristocracy

That's awesome! Thanks KristineML for the floorplans!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 AM
Aristocracy

If I understand this map correctly, the red squares are Clarence House, currently the home of Prince Charles and the Duchess of Gloucester, and the former home of Prince Charles and family when he was a boy, and the home of the Queen Mother.

The light blue squares are York House, (built 1736) where Prince Charles and William and Harry lived for a while when the Queen Mother died, before moving into Clarence House.

Would York House be refurnished into a home for Catherine and William?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Aristocracy

Buck Palace news story

Here is a news article that says the Queen has offered up a flat in Buckingham Palace but that they are more likely to move to St. James.

Do you suppose they will procure a small private helicopter to fly back and forth the 200 miles from Anglesy to London?
Old 04-23-2011, 08:02 PM

Apologies if this has been said already, but my understanding is that William and Kate will continue to live at Clarence House while in London. Is this everyone's understanding?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker99 View Post
Apologies if this has been said already, but my understanding is that William and Kate will continue to live at Clarence House while in London. Is this everyone's understanding?

My understanding is that to begin with they will continue to live in the suite in CH that they have shared with Harry for years. In time though they will need their own London base but... with the Queen's advancing years it may also make sense for them to establish themselves there for the long haul as no doubt when Charles succeeds they will take over all of CH.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunseeker99
The palace continues to say St James palace as their residence after the wedding in London, and that's what Richard (royalreporter) wad reporting but mostly they'll remain in their home while William served out the rest of his RAF duties i believe
Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
The palace continues to say St James palace as their residence after the wedding in London, and that's what Richard (royalreporter) wad reporting but mostly they'll remain in their home while William served out the rest of his RAF duties i believe

CH is part of St James Palace.

There was a report some weeks ago that they would continue to live in the apartment they currently use at CH and share it with Harry.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie

CH is part of St James Palace.
Oh- thank you for letting me know, I hadno idea! Ok- sounds good then :)
Old 04-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Oh- thank you for letting me know, I hadno idea! Ok- sounds good then :)

If you look at the plan posted in #112 you can see the section of St James' Palace marked in red. That is Clarence House.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM
Aristocracy

It was just reported on Good Morning America not sure how reliable they are but they said that William and Kate have decided to move into Kensington Palace to Princess Margaret's old apartments. They said they had toured them again recently and that is where they decided to make a new home. I guess we will have to wait and see. I personally think it is a great idea for them to have a house to themselves and not share with the in-law's LOL