The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-20-2016, 11:09 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Well, Althouth is is annoying, it has always been like this. Younger royals get more coverage than the rest of the family. Not fair, not right, but not news.
A lot of folks don't understand this. It's always been this way. The funny part is, the older royals don't seem to mind. They enjoy going about their duties without all the fuss.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-20-2016, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
A lot of folks don't understand this. It's always been this way. The funny part is, the older royals don't seem to mind. They enjoy going about their duties without all the fuss.
Yes, I wonder why someone is still surprised... What should Princess Anne say then? And yet she does a brilliant job

Old 03-22-2016, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

To get back to my original post, Richard Palmer has had an interesting discussion on his Twitter page with various posters.

He commented that there seems to have been a sea change happening with reference to the British public and the Cambridges and Kate in particular. He commented on the Express (and other papers) publicising Kate's causes and putting her on the front page, only to see 'plummeting sales when Kate is on the front, rapidly falling online hits for stories (on her) and readers comments tell the tale'.

Palmer has noted that Kate's public speaking has become better. He hasn't been all criticism of Kate by any means. However, he states, and I think he is correct, that 'after squandering so much goodwill from the public (at the time of the wedding) radical action is needed by her and William' (to get it back.)
Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM
Imperial Majesty

Catherine is a very popular member of the royal family. The Cambridge's recent bad PR problems haven't affected her popularity.

The more official responsibility that's past down to Catherine, and folks see her on the job, the media will calm down. Kensington Palace need to continue publishing the young royals conducting meetings, and just giving the media and public more insight into the royals job.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-22-2016, 10:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't know whether she is hugely popular though, Dman. She doesn't seem to draw large crowds to her engagements, the comments below articles are rather cutting, and there aren't recent polls to draw conclusions from. And if people are very popular then there is usually a small jump in sales of newspapers and magazines featuring that person. The reverse seems to be true for Kate recently. I think since the wedding the popularity of this couple may have dropped, even if not to a disastrous extent. I do believe the bad PR may have affected public perceptions.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't know whether she is hugely popular though, Dman. She doesn't seem to draw large crowds to her engagements, the comments below articles are rather cutting, and there aren't recent polls to draw conclusions from. And if people are very popular then there is usually a small jump in sales of newspapers and magazines featuring that person. The reverse seems to be true for Kate recently. I think since the wedding the popularity of this couple may have dropped, even if not to a disastrous extent. I do believe the bad PR may have affected public perceptions.
Trust me when I say, the young royals remain very popular. The crowds do come out when Catherine is on her engagements. We just get to see the large crowds well, because it's become rare for the royals to conduct a walkabout.

With the change in technology, newspaper sells won't be the same as before. People are getting their news on their phones, IPads, Twitter, etc. Also, very naturally Catherine front page covers on newspapers won't sell as it did after the wedding. Although she remains the it girl, after a while the sells won't be that high. The media really don't write many exciting articles these days anyway.

Don't be fooled, Catherine remains the it girl and a very popular it girl at that. Her popularity will only grow once she she's the Princess of Wales and even Queen. Naturally, the attention will turn to the children too.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-22-2016, 11:34 AM
Heir Apparent

Well, let's hope so Dman, because I keep a close eye and ear on reactions to the royals from my large extended family in England, ex work colleagues, friends and others, in the north of England, Norfolk my birth county and the Home Counties and London.

And the word I've been getting from them, especially the younger people in their teens and twenties is that the gilt is off the gingerbread as far as William and Kate are concerned.

Fewer and fewer of the people I know there under thirty care about the royals much at all with the exception of the Queen, and what I hear from many (and I'm in regular contact) about the Cambridges are criticisms of expense, dull behaviour at engagements, hiding themselves and their children away and their work ethic.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

My eyes and ears in Britain tell me just the opposite. I have lots of family there and they all adore Catherine. Same for my former work colleagues. (I lived there for 15 years)

Catherine easily and by far receives the most coverage of any royal. Just today she and the Queen are on the front page of the Express. Either the editors at the Express are trying to bankrupt the paper or she indeed does sell newspapers.

As a proud monarchist, I have to say Catherine is going to be a lovely Queen of Canada
Old 03-22-2016, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

I know here in the U.S. those who are into the royals (at least the UK royals) ...can't get enough of William and Kate...and the children.

LaRae
Old 03-22-2016, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

No, the Queen sells, according to Richard, who mentioned that she and Kate would be on the front page Well, Ingrid Seward, the editor of Majesty and devout monarchist, echoed Palmer's criticisms. Odd that a Royal author such as she would do so if something untoward wasn't happening. And we will look out for Diana size crowds at Kate's next engagement, then, if you are correct.

I believe several US posters have said in the past that royals aren't really followed in the States and I think that's true, whether it's BRF or the Spanish, or Monaco royals.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
No, the Queen sells, according to Richard, who mentioned that she and Kate would be on the front page Well, Ingrid Seward, the editor of Majesty and devout monarchist, echoed Palmer's criticisms. Odd that a Royal author such as she would do so if something untoward wasn't happening. And we will look out for Diana size crowds at Kate's next engagement, then, if you are correct.

I believe several US posters have said in the past that royals aren't really followed in the States and I think that's true, whether it's BRF or the Spanish, or Monaco royals.
Regarding Ingrid Seward, I did think she was a devout monarchist - do people on here think she's just a tabloid shill like some of the others, and if so, why? Can her statements be as readily discounted as say Richard Palmer's seem to be?

Most people in the US don't care about royalty -they have a small following. That might account for 5% of the population. Out of everyone I know, I have perhaps one friend who follows them with any regularity and this is out of a wide swath of people. The royal wedding of course drew viewers, as do things like births, christenings. Most people don't know what Will or Kate do or what they are up to.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I know here in the U.S. those who are into the royals (at least the UK royals) ...can't get enough of William and Kate...and the children.

LaRae
That's true. I know people may think Americans aren't interested the the British royals, but they are. Whenever the popular and we'll known British royals come over to the US, there's a massive turn out to greet them.

Catherine's popularity with the people hasn't been hurt, but there's a battle going on between the young royals, palace and media though. There's some bad attitudes going on.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-22-2016, 02:17 PM
Heir Apparent

What is odd is why editors keep putting Kate on front pages if she doesn't sell. Are they trying to lose their jobs?

In the last six days Catherine's interview about the Queen has been on Australian breakfast television, It's been on Canadian breakfast television. In the US it's been on the Today Show and Good Morning America and in Britain, even with Harry on tour Catherine's interview has made two front pages. How much coverage is enough?

As for Ingrid Seward, you'll have to ask her why Catherine makes so many covers of her Majesty Magazine if she doesn't sell

This week's Hello magazine has Catherine on the cover
Old 03-22-2016, 02:28 PM
Heir Apparent

That was Kate's first interview which was why it was shown in Britain and Commonwealth countries. Her next one will be less of a novelty, and her next less still, just like the rest of the royals. Ingrid Seward could see a breach developing between the Cambridges and the Press and public and sought to address it. One would have thought she would have been taken seriously with this, as she is when she lavishly praises the Cambridges. This couple and KP misjudged the mood of the British press on this and there are some bridges to mend.

I know there are many US citizens on Royal forums but I've visited several times and never found huge enthusiasm for the BRF or any other royals for that matter among people I spoke to.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:44 PM
Heir Apparent

In no other line of reporting do the views of reporters suddenly translate into 'public opinion'

The Express sells less than 500.000 papers a day and yet Palmer thinks he speaks for a nation of almost 70 million people?

The next time opinion polls come out about the royal family, it will be as popular as ever and the younger royals will be near the top.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Catherine's face on the cover of magazines and newspapers still sell, but one can't expect the sells to be still high as it was before and after the wedding. At the time, Britian and Commonwealth and even the world Was getting a new princess. Of course her introduction sold like crazy. She, William and the the kids still generate big sells though.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 03-23-2016, 04:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Is Prince Harry Ready To Get Serious? - The Daily Beast
Old 03-26-2016, 05:51 AM
Heir Apparent

How Kate Middleton got more regal than the royals | Daily Mail Online
Old 03-26-2016, 06:54 AM
Heir Apparent

"Duchess Do-little"... The vitriol dripping from the Daily Mail is beyond belief.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Majesty

Wow! That's a pretty harsh article!

But what do our resident Britons say? What's the word on the street?
Because I don't trust Daily Mail to represent the average Briton and as for those who comment... well, IMO half of them ought to be euthanized for having such a negative view on life - It would be an act of mercy - for all...

What is the general perception of Kate if I were to stand in say York and Cardiff at noon and ask people who walked by?
I ask out of genuine curiosity and not to start a row, pro or against Kate.
So if you prefer to PM me to keep the peace, please do.

Tags
british royal family, caricatures, cartoons, fleet street, newspapers, tabloid press