The Duke and Duchess of Kent News and Events 1: October 2003- Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing wrong with being country gentry, just it means you are not as rich as the average duke and dont have a title...
And I think Marina was aiming at the moon. The Kents weren't that well off and George was a younger son.. plus, I think that her children wnated to marry people they cared for, and not be pushed into an alliance with some royal.....
I never said that there was something wrong with being country gentry. Many members of the gentry are far richer than the "average duke" since titles and fortunes doesn't always go hand in hand. The Worsleys with their grand Hovington Hall might not be billionaires, but they're hardly paupers either.
To most monarchs ruling in the sixties a prince or princess without a large fortune would have been much more preferable than a billionaire as the spouse of their successor. It had to do with breeding, tradition and also, not to be forgotten, a matter of adhering to the constitution of some monarchies.

I never said that there was something wrong with being country gentry. Many members of the gentry are far richer than the "average duke" since titles and fortunes doesn't always go hand in hand. The Worsleys with their grand Hovington Hall might not be billionaires, but they're hardly paupers either.
To most monarchs ruling in the sixties a prince or princess without a large fortune would have been much more preferable than a billionaire as the spouse of their successor. It had to do with breeding, tradition and also, not to be forgotten, a matter of adhering to the constitution of some monarchies.

It doesn't seem as if anyone in RFs was lining up to marry the Kents. Harold of Norway insisted on marrying the woman he loved, though she was a commoner. Juan Carlos married a Princess and well, it hasn't been a great marriage...

But all her children in-law are of noble origin, aren't they?

Depending how you look at it...If one presumes that hereditary Baronets are noble...than yes.

Princess Marina looked down on the Queen Mother, the daughter of an earl, and the Duchess of Gloucester, the daughter of a duke: she's supposed to have called them "those common little Scottish girls". She may have had many good qualities, but she was also a terrible snob. I don't think she had any personal dislike of Katharine, but, if she looked down on the daughters of earls and dukes, she certainly wasn't going to be very keen on having the daughter of a baronet as a daughter-in-law.

Depending how you look at it...If one presumes that hereditary Baronets are noble...than yes.

But they are not. Nobles are the holders of a peerage title. Katherine's family had a baronetcy.. not a peerage.

Princess Marina looked down on the Queen Mother, the daughter of an earl, and the Duchess of Gloucester, the daughter of a duke: she's supposed to have called them "those common little Scottish girls". She may have had many good qualities, but she was also a terrible snob. I don't think she had any personal dislike of Katharine, but, if she looked down on the daughters of earls and dukes, she certainly wasn't going to be very keen on having the daughter of a baronet as a daughter-in-law.
Honestly I dont think she comes across very well. The Greek monarchy wasn't exactly long lasting and they were not well off. George married her for love, not for a dynastic alliance..
I think that by the 1960s, she was out of touch with the way things were going in the UK after WWII, in wanting her family to marry other royals..

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke of Kent's stepping down as President of the All England Club after this year's Wimbledon finals. That's the end of an era! I've always associated him so closely with Wimbledon. I wonder if Kate'll take over.

The Duke of Kent's stepping down as President of the All England Club after this year's Wimbledon finals. That's the end of an era! I've always associated him so closely with Wimbledon. I wonder if Kate'll take over.

Wow. End of an era.

His wife Katherine and his mother Marina were very popular at Wimbledon. PResenting trophies.

Catherine is the Patron. She won't also be the President. She would have to give up being Patron.

The Duke of Kent has written an opinion piece in The Telegraph reflecting his time at Wimbledon tournaments, as he steps down from president of the All England Lawn Tennis Club.

Sharing the triumphant highs and agonising lows of Wimbledon’s competitors has been a privilege
As he prepares to step down as president of the All England Lawn Tennis Club, the Duke of Kent reflects on his time at the tournament
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...-highs-agonising-lows-wimbledons-competitors/
Archived link: https://archive.ph/JCdHW

What a lovely tribute to the duke of Kent.

Do we know who's taking over from him?

In one of the articles posted here it said that nobody will be taking over but that it will be 'merged' (somewhat/somehow) with the role of patron - occupied by avid tennis fan The Duchess of Cambridge.

Lovely gesture for the Duke of Kent. He seems rather fragile when moving forward to receive the replica, so it makes sense to retire this position. Hopefully he will be able to enjoy many more Wimbledons to come in a private capacity.

Last edited:
That was a lovely, thoughtful gesture. 52 years is quite a long time.

It was a good way to part ways in style. A lovely recognition.

The Duke of Kent attended service in the garden of the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh to mark the 50th anniversary of the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards today, September 3:

** gtresnews gallery **

Last edited:
On September 23, the Duke of Kent as Patron of the Hanover Band attended a garden party and concert in South Stoke for The Hanover Band 40th Season Celebration:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

The Duke of Kent as Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England signed the Armed Forces Covenant today, October 20. The „promise ensures that those who serve or who have served in the armed forces, and their families, are treated fairly“:

** Pic **

The Duke of Kent attended a reception held by the Association of the Polish Knights of Malta UK at the Polish Institute and Sikorski Museum in London yesterday, October 25:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Yesterday, November 16, the Duke of Kent travelled to Belgium. As Colonel-in-Chief of The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers he attended a Remembrance Service at the Chapel, Talbot House, Poperinge and as President of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission he attended a Last Post Ceremony and laid a wreath at the Menin Gate, Ieper, followed by a dinner with the 1st Battalion at Hotel Ariane, Ieper (Ypres).

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

** hln.be article: Prins Edward (87), neef van koningin Elizabeth, brengt bezoek aan Talbot House **

Today, November 17, he attended the funeral service of nine British soldiers who served and died in battle of Passchendaele during the First World War, as they are laid to rest more than a century after their deaths with full military honours at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission's (CWGC) Tyne Cot Cemetery near Ypres:

** gtresnews gallery **

Last edited:
On December 1 the Duke of Kent as Patron of St. Mungo's visited the Bristol Wing, Bristol:

** Pic **

The Duke of Kent presented The Queen's Award for Enterprise to Ashley Community and Housing Limited earlier this month:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Interesting. I guess he is so very senior now that Cousin Lilibet believes he won't write anything too inflammatory. Has anyone in the BRF done memoirs since Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester?

Interesting. I guess he is so very senior now that Cousin Lilibet believes he won't write anything too inflammatory. Has anyone in the BRF done memoirs since Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester?

As far as I remember, HERS were way far from inflammatory. I imagine these are the memoirs all RFs love!

The tiny issue of this style working nowadays, though...

I can't imagine for one minute these memoirs will be inflammatory at all. That said I do think they'll be quite interesting.

As far as I remember, HERS were way far from inflammatory. I imagine these are the memoirs all RFs love!

The tiny issue of this style working nowadays, though...

Yes, the connection was memoirs, not inflammatory. So I'm really not sure if there have been any memoirs in the past thirty years. Although I can only imagine it will be HRH Prince Edward, the Duke of Kent.

I wonder how the subject of his father's death will go.

I can't imagine for one minute these memoirs will be inflammatory at all. That said I do think they'll be quite interesting.

I agree and this is a set of royal memoirs that I'd be interested in reading. He's part of the inner circle but not in the main spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom