The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

The hereditary peers no longer have the automatic right to sit in the House of Lords, and can in fact run for seats in the House of Commons. They could also, on their own merit, be appointed as life peers. Life Peers are largely party political appointments and sit for their lifetimes. While their children are accorded the courtesy stylings of children of Barons they do not inherit their parents peerages.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Marchioness of Worcester: organic diet helped me beat breast cancer - Telegraph

To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 01-01-2013, 12:40 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
The hereditary peers no longer have the automatic right to sit in the House of Lords, and can in fact run for seats in the House of Commons. They could also, on their own merit, be appointed as life peers. Life Peers are largely party political appointments and sit for their lifetimes. While their children are accorded the courtesy stylings of children of Barons they do not inherit their parents peerages.
Is this the case in Canada as well as the UK?
Old 01-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Gentry

What would the House of Lords in the UK have to do with the upper house of any other Commonwealth member country?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Nobility

I don't know how the Canadian government functions. I know they have a Prime Minister, and I was under the impression they have a parliament, so I wondered if they have life peers as well; I don't know how similar their government is to the UK's, that's why I'm asking. I never said the upper house in the UK has anything to do with that of Canada, but am wondering if they're similar.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:39 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
I don't know how the Canadian government functions. I know they have a Prime Minister, and I was under the impression they have a parliament, so I wondered if they have life peers as well; I don't know how similar their government is to the UK's, that's why I'm asking. I never said the upper house in the UK has anything to do with that of Canada, but am wondering if they're similar.
I don't believe Canada's honors system allows for the creation of knights or peers.

This link is to the Governor General's website. It seems that Canada, like Australia, took the decision to create an honor system that stops short of creating titles.

http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=67
Old 01-01-2013, 02:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
I don't believe Canada's honors system allows for the creation of knights or peers.

This link is to the Governor General's website. It seems that Canada, like Australia, took the decision to create an honor system that stops short of creating titles.

The Governor General of Canada > Canadian Honours System
Thank you for the link, it's very informative.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:54 AM
Nobility

On the proposals for equal primogeniture thread I've been very forthright in my opinion that men and women should be treated equally. I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of other forum members about the way in which the honours system treats men and women.

For example when Paul McCartney became Sir Paul, Linda automatically became Lady McCartney yet when Judi Dench became Dame Judi, the female equivalent, her husband remained plain Michael Williams.

Should the husband of a Dame be entitled to an honorary title? Should wives of knights continue to be known by an honorary title?

Except for the response of its always been done that way, why treat the spouses differently?

Britain is proposing to introduce same-sex marriages. What should be the position of, for example, David Furnish (Sir Elton John's partner)?

I'm honestly not looking to pick a fight, I'm genuinely interested in hearing people's views. My preference (nobody will be surprised to hear) would be to end the practice of giving an honorary title to wives.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post
On the proposals for equal primogeniture thread I've been very forthright in my opinion that men and women should be treated equally. I'd be interested in hearing the opinions of other forum members about the way in which the honours system treats men and women.

For example when Paul McCartney became Sir Paul, Linda automatically became Lady McCartney yet when Judi Dench became Dame Judi, the female equivalent, her husband remained plain Michael Williams.

Should the husband of a Dame be entitled to an honorary title? Should wives of knights continue to be known by an honorary title?

Except for the response of its always been done that way, why treat the spouses differently?

Britain is proposing to introduce same-sex marriages. What should be the position of, for example, David Furnish (Sir Elton John's partner)?

I'm honestly not looking to pick a fight, I'm genuinely interested in hearing people's views. My preference (nobody will be surprised to hear) would be to end the practice of giving an honorary title to wives.
It's a good question. I guess that despite having always been strongly in favor of equal rights, I see the titles as traditional and charming the way they are. But I'm an American and not familiar with how titles really play out in daily life.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Serene Highness

It is a little bit weird, that women can share their husband's title, but a man can't share his wife's title. But I guess it's hard to change that tradition, especially when it comes to Paul McCartney, Judi Drench and Elton John, whose titles aren't hereditary.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
Is this the case in Canada as well as the UK?
The Canadian parliament is similar to the British model except our upper house is called the senate, it's members are senators who are appointed to terms of office limited to eight years and who are chosen based on political affiliation, territorial representation and perceived merit. The positions are well paid and usually considered a gift for service to the current prime minister, conservative Stephen harper, although many senators are still appointees of the previous liberal administrations.. All new federal laws in canada must be read and agreed upon in both parliamentary chambers, before being signed into law by the Governor General, queen Elizabeth's Canadian representative. Hope this helps understand how Canadian government works
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Heir Apparent

^^^^
Actually I believe Senators in Canada serve until they are 75 years of age. It used to be for life. Alberta has tinkered with the idea of electing Senators but in reality they do have to be appointed by the GG on the advice of the PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM
Nobility

not 50 years ago the wife of a doctor or professor had been called 'Frau Doktor Soundo' bzw. 'Frau Professor Soundso'; a woman took the female form of her husbands name and title; nowadays women do have their own opportunities and chances to have a carrier - so they prefer do be called by their own achievements.

I also chose to keep my name, when we married. From this year, that is also the new 'norm' in Switzerland. I'm happy with that idea.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 PM
Serene Highness

Is it because a woman takes her husband's status and can be elevated (or lowered) when she marries? What I mean is when the daughter of a peer marries someone below her rank, doesn't she automatically take his rank? If so, then when a man is knighted, his wife takes his rank, but when a woman is made a dame, her husband cannot share in the rank. I am not saying I am in favor of this, but it is probably why Judi Dench's husband did not become Sir whatever. It is tradition.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Heir Apparent

A real-life Downton dilemma: Baron with eight daughters but no sons faces his title passing to a distant cousin | Mail Online
Quote:
Undoubtedly the Earl of Grantham would sympathise with his predicament.
An elderly baron with eight daughters and a 6,000-acre estate faces his title being passed to a distant cousin – because he has no sons.
The dilemma echoes the plot of ITV series Downton Abbey, where the Earl of Grantham grapples with the problem of having three daughters but no male heir.
But in the real-life drama, the case of the 10th Baron Braybrooke has prompted a campaign to change the ancient law that stops daughters from inheriting titles.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 AM
Heir Apparent

The laws on Entailed Estates were changed in 1925. While the barony will pass to the cousin I can see no reason why the estate and private fortune could not pass according to the terms of the fathers will. It has certainly happened on other families where one branch got a title and the other kept the estate and the fortune (Lady Anne Cavendish Bentinck of the Portlands comes to mind).
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 AM
Serene Highness

I still think his eldest daughter should be able to inherit the barony too. It's weird that it wasn't so even back in the days of "Downton Abbey".
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Earl of Cardigan cleared of assaulting estate trustee following row over ancestral portraits at country home | Mail Online
Old 01-27-2013, 11:04 AM
Aristocracy

They are getting married in one month, but Zac Goldsmith and Alice Rothschild are expecting their first child together in July.

MoS Diary: Zac and Alice expecting a baby as their big day looms | Mail Online
Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

The baron with eight daughters, his angry wife and a drama that makes Downton look tame | Mail Online

Tags
aristocracy, british nobility