The British Nobility thread 1: Ending 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Dancing Marquess of Anglesey

:star: .Too good to pass up! .:star:

From the MailOnline - England's Lost Downtons

The Dancing Marquess of Anglesey

The 5th Marquess died in Monte Carlo in 1904, aged 30, with debts of £544,000 (the equivalent of over £30 million today), leaving a wardrobe that featured, among other items, 260 pairs of kid gloves, 200 gold ‘scarf pins’ and 100 dressing gowns.

Image not subject to copyright

Attachments

• The Dancing Marquess of Anglesey.jpg
    The Dancing Marquess of Anglesey.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:
The engagement was announced on 20 February 2012 between Ruaridh C. M. Hook and Lady Charlotte Rose FitzRoy.

Mr. Hook is the only son of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Hook.
Lady Charlotte is the third daughter of the late James FitzRoy, Earl of Euston (son of the late 11th Duke of Grafton) and his wife Clare, Countess of Euston (daughter of the 12th Marquess of Lothian).

Peerage News: Hook/Fitzroy engagement

The Duke of Devonshire at war with villagers on Chatsworth Estate over plans to turn a quarter of the homes into holiday rentals

It could be the storyline to one of the many period dramas played out in the surrounds of nearby Chatsworth House.The Duke of Devonshire, who owns the historic property in Derbyshire, is locked in a feudal row with villagers on his vast estate over plans to turn yet more homes in their community into holiday rentals. Tenants in the 'tied' hamlet of Beeley are fighting an application by the Chatsworth Estate to convert three small, stone-built cottages into hotel rooms for well-heeled visitors to the Peak District.

My spiralling mess of drugs and drink... by the Earl's girl who is starring on The Voice
The aristocrat who triumphed on last night’s edition of The Voice spent years battling an addiction to drugs and drink – and is currently dividing her time between the show and the hospital bedside of her very ill mother. Lady Catherine Anna Brudenell-Bruce, 27 – the daughter of the Earl of Cardigan – who appeared on the hit BBC1 show under her stage name Bo Bruce, has revealed how her life was a ‘spiralling mess of drugs and alcohol’.

It is rather puzzling to see another upper class child trying to be a cheap celebrity. Lady Catherine Anna's attempts to show her human side are futile.

It is rather puzzling to see another upper class child trying to be a cheap celebrity. Lady Catherine Anna's attempts to show her human side are futile.

I don't think it's got anything to do with her "human side", I just watched this girl from last nights show and she has an amazing voice. This is a show to get your voice noticed on, that is simply what Bo wanted to do. At least she didn't go on The X Factor.

Has Lady Catherine Anna Brudenell-Bruce got a formal education in music? I always thought that one has to graduate from a conservatoire to actually sing. I guess I am very old fashioned.

Last edited:
I don't think that's true at all. A formal music education might teach you some technics, but the most important thing is that you can sing in the first place.

Al_bina said:
Has Lady Catherine Anna Brudenell-Bruce got a formal education in music? I always though that one has to graduate from a conservatoire to actually sing. I guess I am very old fashioned.

She didn't say anything on the show about being educated in music, but IMO you don't have to have graduated like you say. Many amazing singers teach themselves.

She has right to fulfill her dreams, like everyone of us. If she is talented in this field, why shouldn't she go that way?
Now young aristocrats want to live like their contemporaries-commoners.

Lady Catherine can pursue her dreams. All her struggles and attempts to reach the signing celebretyhood appear cheap to me. She is as embarrassing as Lord Nicholas.

She sings very well, and she is very cute. Just about anyone with a voice can sing modern music. Generally, people interested in becoming classical vocalists go the conservatoire route. It takes a lot of coaching and practice to be able to make it in the opera or classical music world. Unless one is a natural talent in that vein, i.e. Jackie Evancho. This talented miss is now taking singing lessons.

I see nothing wrong with Bo wanting a career.

Last edited:
We are so proud of what we have achieved for the people and their human rights compared to former times. But doesn't that necessary mean that we have to get rid of old ideas about the suitable way to live of Ladies of the highest aristocracy as well? In former times a Marquesses' daughter (and that will one day become of Bo Bruce, when her father inherits her grandfather's title) could only marry well or live at home as unpaied companion for her eldest brother's wife. Today she can become a popstar.

And this is nothing new for a child of a marquess. Anyone remembers Lord David Dundas' hit: "Jeans On" from the 70ties? Lord David is the son of the Marquess of Zetland and, though musician, never really embarrassed his family and lineage. About time women are treated equal to men. Or not?

Last edited:
On related news:

Earl of Cardigan loses paintings court battle
Earl loses court battle to stop sale of ancestors' portraits
The Earl of Cardigan has lost a High Court battle to stop portraits of his ancestors being sold to raise funds.
The earl, David Brudenell-Bruce, 59, had claimed he was entitled to "use of the paintings" under the terms of a lease and wanted to block the sale. But trustees of the family estate at Savernake, in Wiltshire disputed his claim and said the paintings were not part of the lease. A judge ruled against the earl at a High Court hearing in London earlier.

As time goes by many changes occur in aristocracy, noble familes,etc.

In my own family a cousin of my father married a Baronet (Canada had a few that settled here), who while holding the family title didn't receive the family wealth (that had been handed down a couple of generations back to another child).

Hard to judge how current members of those families make a living when circumstances change due to inheritance or just by the fact they can't raise money like their forefather's could (and aren't most Brits grateful for that). Also keep in mind even the Royal family have opened up their castles to the public to raise funds to help them maintain their vast holdings.

Last edited:
As time goes by many changes occur in aristocracy, noble familes,etc.

In my own family a cousin of my father married a Baronet (Canada had a few that settled here), who while holding the family title didn't receive the family wealth (that had been handed down a couple of generations back to another child).

Hard to judge how current members of those families make a living when circumstances change due to inheritance or just by the fact they can't raise money like their forefather's could (and aren't most Brits grateful for that). Also keep in mind even the Royal family have opened up their castles to the public to raise funds to help them maintain their vast holdings.
No one disputes it. Having said that, it would fair to say that members of noble families have got a better shot at entering prestigious educational institutions and securing better employment places. Some representatives of the noble class seem to enjoy wallowing in self-pity.

:previous:
There is and will be always trash among a higher stratum of the society not appreciating what they have. These individuals do not aspire to be usual boring doctors or engineers, but to be a low-grade performers. I guess we need clowns too, even if they are of a noble origin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom