The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Majesty

Had Victoria been the heir there is no way she would have married the Crown Prince of Prussia to begin with so the argument is irrelevant.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:31 PM
Serene Highness

Duke-of-Earl, I like your comment 1006.
I have thought that William and Catherine must be somewhat religious because of the music they chose for their wedding. I realize someone else may have chosen some of the music, but they chose the motet sung during their silent prayer after they were pronounced man and wife. I am a person of faith, and I was so moved by this selection that I played it over and over, mentioned it on line, and actually my "mention" went viral for a time. Of course one could say that William and Catherine picked this religious motet, written by a music professor they met near their home, simply for its beauty rather than the sentiment of the words. The words, however, were a passionate plea for God's mercy--simply amazing and over the top, I thought, for the royals, who are presumed to be stiff-upper-lip folks.
I have no idea how they really feel about such things.

Comment on wearing crosses in C of E. I am a member of an Episcopal parish in which ever member of our Bible study, including the rector and his associate, wears a cross. I had to get out my old crusader cross, which I had hesitated to wear because of its significance, in order to be "in style." My cross is the smallest one in the group. I am thinking of getting a less combat-significant cross from James Avery Silversmiths.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 PM
Majesty

Charles chose the music for William and Kate's wedding because they admitted that he knew that stuff and they didn't.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I also heard PC played a major part in the selection of the wedding music.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

I'm a little surprised you weren't baptised as a baby though, into one or other of your parents' churches, though perhaps they are only nominal members of their religion. Whatever the case may be, I commend your parents' decision to let you make up your own mind as an adult; I think that is as it should be.
Some protestant denominations do not baptize babies. They only baptize people after a certain age when they understand what baptism is and can make the decision for themselves. And the orthodox churches give communion to babies after baptism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Many members of the Cof E never get confirmed, unlike the RCC church where everyone gets confirmed at about 9 or 10 years of age.

I grew up catholic and you don't get confirmed till you're a teenager. At 9 or 10 you would have just made your first confession and communion(ages for this differ in different countries, younger in the US but older in my birth country of Poland).
Old 01-18-2013, 12:02 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noble Consort Ming View Post
I grew up catholic and you don't get confirmed till you're a teenager. At 9 or 10 you would have just made your first confession and communion(ages for this differ in different countries, younger in the US but older in my birth country of Poland).
Anglicans (at least in the Anglican Church of Australia) you can't take "Communion until after Confirmation.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
Anglicans (at least in the Anglican Church of Australia) you can't take "Communion until after Confirmation.
This seems to depend on the Diocese. In Perth children can take communion under some circumstances: First Holy Communion | Baptisms - St. Georges Cathedral Perth
Old 01-18-2013, 01:33 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Some protestant denominations do not baptize babies. They only baptize people after a certain age when they understand what baptism is and can make the decision for themselves. And the orthodox churches give communion to babies after baptism.
This is how my denomination does things. We have Baby Dedications once a year; a ceremony of sorts where the congregation would pray for the child and for his/her parent(s) for God's wisdom and guidance. But baptism is reserved for when they understand what it is and what it represents. Then it's up to the person themselves if they wish to be baptized.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:21 AM
Majesty

The rule in the Anglican Church in Australia used to be 'no communion until after confirmation' and then in the mid-90s it started to change with different diocese allowing pre-confirmed children to take communion (I was a member of the synod in Sydney at the time of the vote). My local minister was totally opposed to it. Generally speaking most Anglicans don't take communion until after confirmation - because that is what their parents did so they don't advocate the new approach.

Baptism is very much something that the RC promoted in the dark and middle ages when there was a very high mortality rate in infants but by the time of the reformation that rate had dropped somewhat (no where near today's levels of course but it was dropping). Confirmation is simply a person agreeing to take on the vows that were made for it at baptism anyway - 'confirming the vows' and so if a denomination or culture doesn't do infant baptism but does adult baptism when the person is old enough to make that decision for themselves there is no need for a separate confirmation ceremony.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Majesty

Royal Central‏@RoyalCentralUK
BREAKING NEWS: Tomorrow, legislation to end male preference primogeniture in the royal succession will begin its journey through Parliament.

Where to watch:
http://www.parliamentlive.tv/Main/Live.aspx
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Now it's journey begins.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:33 PM
Majesty

I wonder how long it will take - weeks or years given that it has to pass more than just one parliament.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, it will be interesting to see how long it takes to finalise the changes. If parliaments want to get legislation passed they can barrel it through with unseemly speed, or it can go back and forth between committees for ages. Time will tell.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Majesty

The British parliament, I believe intends on getting it through in a matter of weeks but that is just the first parliament that has to pass it.

If the baby is a boy I can even see some of the other realms delaying for quite some time - no urgency.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
If the baby is a boy I can even see some of the other realms delaying for quite some time - no urgency.
This is why I sincerely hope the child is a girl. If it's a boy it will be put on the back-burner and may never get done.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:

I think people use the word Protestant too loosely. The only Protestant churches are those churches that grew out of the Reformation, as in protest. There are some Christian churches, such as several Baptist, denominations that do not baptize babies.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Serene Highness

If the Cambridge baby is a girl, and if the parliaments have not settled the question yet, then the big question will be this: will Kate and William then have a boy who precedes the first born girl? If they have another girl, same situation as E-beth and Margaret, if the Cambridges hold to their two-child plans.
Sort of seems like a game of chess. So I see why Roslyn hopes it will be a boy. Of course this child will not become monarch for perhaps 50 years, so when thinking about names think of ones that go well with Princess and Prince. We will mostly all be gone to our reward before the child becomes monarch, unless crazy circumstances emerge, which has happened. Prince William of Gloucester passing on at 30 changed that family dramatically, losing charismatic Prince William of G. and gaining the steady calm Richard of Gloucester, his great wife Birgitta, and their three interesting children. The unexpected can be scary but fascinating.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
So I see why Roslyn hopes it will be a boy.
Roslyn hopes it will be a girl.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:23 AM
Majesty

The law will be passed - but the fact remains that for the other realms if the first child is a boy they will put it on the back burner.

It isn't all that urgent anyway and in 50 years or so the British population will possibly be even a majority Muslim country meaning that a woman probably wouldn't be acceptable anyway.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
It isn't all that urgent anyway and in 50 years or so the British population will possibly be even a majority Muslim country meaning that a woman probably wouldn't be acceptable anyway.
Benazir Bhutto was elected President of Pakistan and that is a Muslim country.