The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-07-2012, 05:41 PM
Heir Apparent

If the legislation is meant to apply to the heirs and descendents of the current Prince of Wales, why would the positions of the Duke of Gloucesters grandchildren (Tane Lewis) change at all?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Administrator

You're right, I've contradicted myself.
Tane Lewis can rest easy!

Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post

You're right, I've contradicted myself.
Tane Lewis can rest easy!
Thanks. So if Peter and Autumn Phillips were to have a son would the current rules, male before females, apply? I have seen some say yes and some say no, but if the change only applies to the heirs of Prince Charles I would assume that for Anne and her heirs it is still males before females.

I have also see some write that succession will be limited to the heirs of QEII or perhaps GV but I havent seen anything about that in any government proposals and also can't see a benefit to it for anyone.
Old 12-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator

I think initially it was announced that male primogeniture would be abolished for those born after October 2011. Now that appears to have been tightened and limited to descendants of Charles only.

It's possible that other changes will be made to what the government has outlined as the legislation and legislative amendments are drawn up and debated in the Parliament.

It's also likely that various media reports will get things wrong and confuse the issue unnecessarily, eg limiting succession to the descendants of GVR or EIIR which serves no purpose whatsoever and to my knowledge hasn't been raised by any senior member of the governmenrt.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

How close is this to passing? And if just the one Parliament passes, would there be (temporarily) different lines of succession in different places? Or can one country forestall the entire process? Is that even known?
Old 12-07-2012, 07:24 PM
Majesty

Yes - if one government passes it and the others don't then yes there could be different heirs in the different realms.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:22 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
Yes - if one government passes it and the others don't then yes there could be different heirs in the different realms.
It seems like that would cause an awful lot of confusion! There might be a Queen of the UK and her brother might be King of Jamaica, for example!
Old 12-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Majesty

That is perfectly possible unless the various realms all pass the legislation at the same time - and that is only part of what the committee in NZ is working towards - a piece of legislation that can be passed in each realm at the same time so that the possibility of the realms having split monarchs is avoided.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
I think initially it was announced that male primogeniture would be abolished for those born after October 2011. Now that appears to have been tightened and limited to descendants of Charles only.

I have actually read it the other way round - initially this was only to affect Charles' descendents but now it is to apply to all descendents born after 2011.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM
Majesty

A law fit for a Queen: new succession legislation published:
A law fit for a Queen: new succession legislation published - UK - News - London Evening Standard

Royal succession bill published:
BBC News - Royal succession bill published
Old 12-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Official version: Succession to the Crown Bill 2012-13 — UK Parliament

The bill is amazingly short and comprehensive. Well done.

Will there be such debate in Parliament over this matter? What's the current thought on dissent about the bill?
Old 12-13-2012, 03:27 PM
Serene Highness

This bill is for the UK only but there will be similiar ones with similiar wording in the other realms.
Politicians can move fast when they have to
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Gentry

That is much more succinct than I expected! I like that they went for children born after October 28, 2011, as opposed to only the descendants of The Prince of Wales. It's much more tidy this way. So when this is passed, it would mean that Tane Lewis would move below his older sister Sienna, as he was born in 2012.

Also, I assume this means that Prince Michael, The Earl of St Andrews, etc will now be in the line of succession? I think that's great.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM
Courtier

No. This law only covers gender. It doesn't cover the rule that heirs can't marry a Catholic or be a Catholic. Prince Michael married one, as did the Earl of St. Andrews.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:31 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
No. This law only covers gender. It doesn't cover the rule that heirs can't marry a Catholic or be a Catholic. Prince Michael married one, as did the Earl of St. Andrews.
Section 2 of this bill concerns the "Removal of disqualification arising from marriage to a Roman Catholic" and specifically states that all persons previously excluded from the line of succession due to this disqualification will be reinstated to the line of succession, provided they are still alive. So they both are back in.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Nobility

You might want to reread that bill. Papalist are in vogue again. Oh, poor Henry! Rattling in St. George's Chapel tonight.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
You might want to reread that bill. Papalist are in vogue again. Oh, poor Henry! Rattling in St. George's Chapel tonight.
Romanists will never be the sovereigns, only the sovereign's consorts
Old 12-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Nobility

Yeah, that is what I said.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Yeah, that is what I said.
The bill says 'Papalist". Do we need to contact the Vatican?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
The bill says 'Papalist". Do we need to contact the Vatican?
Romanist, papalist, they're all the same to me.