The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Courtier

My problem is still that if you take the view that 'A preference for male children and the exclusion from the line of succession because a member of the family marries a Catholic' is discriminatory and out of step with today's society etc, you then open a can of worms regarding whether the whole idea of a monarchy is 'discriminatory and out-of-step' with the idea that the UK is striving to be a Meritocracy...and thus that a monarchy has NO place in today's society, based on inherited position and accident of birth etc etc........

Only my thoughts,

Alex

Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Monarchy is discriminatory by its very nature, but so are other institutions. I don't want to start a religious war but the Roman Catholic Church could also be called discriminatory....women cannot be priests, non-Catholics cannot become Pope, priests who wish to marry must leave the priesthood. In America they always say that anyone can grow up to become President but that really isn't true, you have to be born a US citizen, generally go to the right universities and as it stands now be able to raise in excess of a billion dollars. The world is filled with inequalities and discrimination.

JMO
Nicholas

Old 10-14-2011, 08:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Monarchy is discriminatory by its very nature, but so are other institutions. I don't want to start a religious war but the Roman Catholic Church could also be called discriminatory....women cannot be priests, non-Catholics cannot become Pope, priests who wish to marry must leave the priesthood. In American they always say that anyone can grow up to become President but that really isnt true, you have to be born a US citizen, generally go to the right universities and as it stands now be able to raise in excess of a billion dollars. The world is filled with inequalities and discrimination.

JMO
Nicholas
Whike i gree that the world is full of inequalities, the Americab President is not the best example. After all, to be King you have to be born to a certain person and is limited to only a few dozen or do. To be Us President, any of the 100 million people born in the US, could conceviably overxome the other obstacles and become President.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
Whike i gree that the world is full of inequalities, the Americab President is not the best example. After all, to be King you have to be born to a certain person and is limited to only a few dozen or do. To be Us President, any of the 100 million people born in the US, could conceviably overxome the other obstacles and become President.
Perhaps but if you are a naturalized US citizen, no matter what else you achieve in life you are constitutionally barred from becoming President. That is discrimination and creates 2 classes of US citizens.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Majesty

Her Majesty is not opposed to the idea, according to The Telegraph.

Queen backs plan to let daughter of Prince William and Kate Middleton to accede to the throne - Telegraph

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm somewhat suspect about HM "letting this be made known." The Queen doesn't voice her opinions on political matters, even if they involve her own family. Or perhaps even especially if they involve her own family.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
I'm somewhat suspect about HM "letting this be made known." The Queen doesn't voice her opinions on political matters, even if they involve her own family. Or perhaps even especially if they involve her own family.
Then perhaps we're once again being misinformed by the media. Not surprising.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

While the article is interesting and exciting for the changes it talks about, I guess like anything else, we have to wait for a formal announcement from the government regarding any implemented changes. But, wow! Imagine Princess Anne leapfrogging ahead of her younger brothers in the succession.......
Old 10-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Serene Highness

So, what legal processes have to occur for the change to equal succession to take place?

And it would it be certain that the change was retroactive (affecting Princess Anne)?

Anyway, fascinating to think about and makes me happy it's been considered. It should be seen as a tribute to the excellent of the current monarch, who has proved that a woman is more than able to be a regent. Some of it may indeed come from being the firstborn.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Heir Apparent

And/or the media could be pushing the agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
Then perhaps we're once again being misinformed by the media. Not surprising.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:33 PM
Serene Highness

It seems it's Cameron's people who say the Queen is in favor of it:

Queen backs the plan.

Telegraph is not a tabloid, is it?

So it could also be the case that the Queen is in favor of it. Why wouldn't she be? Doesn't she have those private talks with the PM?
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
While the article is interesting and exciting for the changes it talks about, I guess like anything else, we have to wait for a formal announcement from the government regarding any implemented changes. But, wow! Imagine Princess Anne leapfrogging ahead of her younger brothers in the succession.......

I doubt very much if any new proposal would suggest that. There is no need really.

This issue was raised, of course, when Diana was pregnant with William but as he was a boy it was shelved.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:41 AM
Moderator Emeritus

If the story in the Telegraph is correct, I think it's interesting that the changes will apparently apply to all descendants of the Queen. I wonder if Peter Phillips is just a little nervous knowing that he and Savannah will be two heartbeats away from the throne if the change goes through. (If it happens, he'll probably be a counsellor of state at least at the beginning of the next reign, too.)
Old 10-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Is the proposed change in succession retrospective? If so, wouldn't that practically remove William from any chance of becoming the King.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't seen anything that says that it would alter it beyond the Queen's descendants. The first three places in the line of succession are the same if that change is made. (And any change that would remove William from his place would probably also depose the Queen, so it's really not probable at all.)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
And/or the media could be pushing the agenda.
Think about it this way/

The issue/agenda goes up in front of all the lawmakers and its on record who voted how and what not.

Do you really think anyone in this day and age would vote NAY?

I think its an issue that would pass in a moment wherever it needs to be passed.

then they'll all go out and drink pink squirrels, bow down and chant MOO to the cow god beluah.

They could ignore the issue too and just go on vacation too.

What do I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbenson View Post
I haven't seen anything that says that it would alter it beyond the Queen's descendants. The first three places in the line of succession are the same if that change is made. (And any change that would remove William from his place would probably also depose the Queen, so it's really not probable at all.)
I would imagine too that the decree would state "from this day forward" or similar. Enacted on the day it was decided on.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Courtier

While I think this would be a pretty popular non-binding measure (equality! yeah! seriously, who would go up against that?), my impression is that execution would be awfully messy.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent

So the line of succession, if enacted and retroactive, would be the Prince of Wales and his children (which would not have changed), then Princess Anne, Peter Phillips and his family, Zara and any future children of her marriage, Prince Andrew and family, Prince Edward and his family. I can imagine Peter having a bit of a shock knowing he's thisclose to the succession if there is a law implemented, and Mike Tindall as well. And I wouldn't think in this modern age that there would be naysayers, either, other than those grey suits who want to uphold tradition but they'd be wise to go along with the times.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

It's not going to be retroactive, that's silly.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Courtier

With the way Princess Anne goes about her business and then comparing that to current number 4 Andrew, I don't really see what's wrong with doing it retroactively JMHO. Obviously if it affected the heir and his heir that would be a problem but as it doesn't, I think Prince Philip would be quite pleased to see his beloved daughter and favourite grandson and granddaughter move up a few places. In regards to Peter and Zara then continuing with their current careers, only the HRH title confines them to royal life and not their position in succession.

Closed Thread