Preferred Wives For William and Harry

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sister Morphine said:
Would you rather be bored to death or deal with a Queen who is unruly, rude, obnoxious and every other negative adjective you can think of?

If it were me, I'd rather be bored to death. I think the last thing the RF needs is a scandal with yet another marriage.

Oh, there's no question that a scandal would be worse, but I don't see why it has to be a choice between extremes...for instance, Denmark's Crown Princess Mary hasn't caused any scandals, but in my opinion, she is considerably more interesting and charismatic than Kate (and also a commoner). It's not as though all people must choose to be scandalous or boring - there is a middle ground, and many a successful royal consort seems to fit that profile.

helloth said:
I think Prince William and Charlotte of Monaco would look so handsome couple together....what do you think??? :)

You mean because of their physical makeup?

Personally, I found William more attractive when around the ages of 19 - 20. I can't say his looks (nowadays) do anything for me, but then again, that question wasn't asked.lol.

Charlotte I find generally overrated to be honest. Sure, she is a beautiful young woman but far from the 'Aphrodite' some have made her out to be.

Welcome to 'the' Forums helloth :flowers:

Last edited:
I am certain that IF Kate becomes Williams wife and as a result be seen as public property by some, then she will smile for the camera on cue. Until then she shows no interest in pandering to the wishes of some to become a 'celebrity'!

IF she becomes a member of the British Royal Family, then I would hope she continues to act with decorum! :rolleyes:

HRH Elizabeth said:
, but that has to go hand in hand with a woman who the British people are happy having as our Queen.
if i'm not mistaken British people didn't like Camilla very much. But it doesnt matter for Charles...

What's about Charlotte of Monako...She's is Catholic. She should change her religion in such case....if its possible.
there was such discussion on this forum...sorry i don't remember where

As for Kate....

of course we almost don't know how she lives
perhaps she might do something useful for sociality if she pretend to be a princess. from other hand maybe she try to avoid any conversations like "hey, look! how she want to be a princess! how she hard work on social fields! such a dissimilation and blablabla.....

HRH Elizabeth said:
Oh, I don't object to a commoner in of itself - I just don't particularly fancy this one. As BeatrixFan has pointed out, she seems to do very little and is not terribly charismatic, and combined with William's dullness might bore the British people to death:rolleyes: .
HRH Elizabeth,
You've made an excellent point: she seems to do very little. We have no way of knowing if that is the actual truth. She could be the busiest, liveliest person in the world and she's just not showing it to the general public. There've been no interviews, we've never even heard her speak.

Example: Prior to the announcement of her engagement to CP Frederick and the actual engagement interview, we didn't know much about plain Mary Donaldson at all. We'd never heard her speak, there wasn't a lot of publicity about her and we didn't know what she did for a living.
After the engagement announcement all of that information was made available--and then some!

Kate also may well remain low-key and 'boring' until (or IF) an engagement announcement is made. As a private citizen dating Prince William, she is entitled to behave in whatever manner she likes as long as it isn't scandalous. Whatever else can be said about Kate Middleton, scandalous isn't it.

One question: Why doesn't the fact that she seems to be very supportive of Prince William AND make him happy matter to the British Public?

So far she actually hasn't put a foot wrong, and the things she's criticized for are actually things that are not scandalous or controversial in least: being quiet, being 'boring', non-charismatic, not smiling enough for the intrusive paparrazzi, etc. As a private citizen her employment status shouldn't really matter at this time either. Her fledgling business might've gone down the tube, but her father has more than enough money to help her through any financial crisis (he's a millionaire!) and help her get a new business started, or whatever the case may be. That is what parents do when they're able, isn't it? Whatever her parents choose to do for their daughter, her father is a self-made man and Kate herself has never once asked or expected the British public or Prince William to support her.

At any rate, Kate doesn't come across as the type of person who is a "rule-breaker". According to most descriptions of her, she's sort of quiet and a little bit staid. That sounds like someone who could and would probably follow the rules and be very supportive of Prince William doing his duty properly.

Isn't that desirable? Wouldn't you want someone who would encourage William to be honourable and do his best?

William sees a virtue in Kate, or else he would have broken it off already. Why can't he be given the benefit of the doubt that he actually has sound judgement and is able to pick a suitable person all by himself? Eveyone else in the royal family has chosen their own spouse, and with the Queen's permission, Prince Edward even lived with Sophie Rhys-Jones from 1994 until their marriage in 1999. So, why is everyone so anxious for Prince William to be guided by public opinion rather than his own heart and his own judgement?

TonyaR said:
HRH Elizabeth,
You've made an excellent point: she seems to do very little. We have no way of knowing if that is the actual truth. She could be the busiest, liveliest person in the world and she's just not showing it to the general public. There've been no interviews, we've never even heard her speak.

snip interesting and thought-provoking post

So, why is everyone so anxious for Prince William to be guided by public opinion rather than his own heart and his own judgement?

Well said, TonyaR - why not, indeed!

Alice Vilghelmina said:
if i'm not mistaken British people didn't like Camilla very much. But it doesnt matter for Charles...

It absolutely mattered for Charles - it meant that he could not marry her when he first fell in love with her, it (for the period directly after Diana's death) earned him a lot of vehement opponents, and it meant that he had to wait many years after Diana's death before he could finally marry her. Even still, many dislike her, and that may still cause problems for Charles in the future. There was an article in the Times only today about how legal scholars are even now questioning the validity of a civil wedding, and after the marriage itself there were stories that the Archbishop of Canterbury might not be able to crown her, given the Anglican Church's stance on remarriage. The point is, Camilla may become a greatly beloved queen and overcome all this, but the British public's approval (or in this case, lack thereof) is obviously an important part of royal marriages. If the public, for some reason, took as strong a dislike to Kate, it would pose a problem - however, if the public likes her, her transition will be that much easier.

HRH Elizabeth said:
It absolutely mattered for Charles - it meant that he could not marry her when he first fell in love with her, it (for the period directly after Diana's death) earned him a lot of vehement opponents, and it meant that he had to wait many years after Diana's death before he could finally marry her. Even still, many dislike her, and that may still cause problems for Charles in the future. There was an article in the Times only today about how legal scholars are even now questioning the validity of a civil wedding, and after the marriage itself there were stories that the Archbishop of Canterbury might not be able to crown her, given the Anglican Church's stance on remarriage. The point is, Camilla may become a greatly beloved queen and overcome all this, but the British public's approval (or in this case, lack thereof) is obviously an important part of royal marriages. If the public, for some reason, took as strong a dislike to Kate, it would pose a

problem - however, if the public likes her, her transition will be that much easier.
When Prince Charles and Camilla originally met in the seventies the public didn't care one way or the other, so Charles could have married Camilla then for all anyone cared; it was the Queen who objected to Charles marrying Camilla. Supposedly she wasn't considered suitable wife material.

After Camilla and Charles had been dating hot and heavy for about a year he went abroad on a Naval mission. Since Charles wasn't ready to commit yet and he didn't seem likely to go against his mother or 'The Firm', Camilla married Andrew Parker-Bowles (who was Charles' friend) and that was that.

Here are a couple of links to stories about that:
http://www.time.com/time/europe/magazine/printout/0,13155,901050221-1027460,00.html
http://www.hellomagazine.com/profiles/camillaparkerbowles/
So the public didn't really dislike her until the real relationship between she and Charles was exposed during his marriage. That's when Camilla became The Bad Guy. So Camilla provided a legitimate reason to be disliked.

I know that you're totally correct about how important the public's opinion of Kate is, what I'm asking is what scandal has she created or awful thing has she done that would cause legitimate dislike?

HRH Elizabeth said:
Oh, there's no question that a scandal would be worse, but I don't see why it has to be a choice between extremes...for instance, Denmark's Crown Princess Mary hasn't caused any scandals, but in my opinion, she is considerably more interesting and charismatic than Kate (and also a commoner). It's not as though all people must choose to be scandalous or boring - there is a middle ground, and many a successful royal consort seems to fit that profile.

It's been said before, but I'm pretty sure there's a side to Miss Middleton that we haven't seen before. Maybe's she's playing it low-key because she doesn't have an official title yet, like "fiancee". When or if they get engaged, we might to see a little bit more out of her and we might learn a little bit more about her too.

TonyaR said:
I know that you're totally correct about how important the public's opinion of Kate is, what I'm asking is what scandal has she created or awful thing has she done that would cause legitimate dislike?

I'm not suggesting that she has, by any means...I'm speaking hypothetically because it seems to be popularly held that as long as William is happy, bugger everything else. Kate hasn't committed any scandals that I'm aware of nor was that the point I was trying to make. All I am attempting to say (apparently not terribly clearly) is that whether the public loves or despises Kate Middleton, the British public's views about her will be important, will impact her future as a potential royal bride and should be given some consideration by William and the rest of the royal family.

HRH Elizabeth said:
I'm not suggesting that she has, by any means...I'm speaking hypothetically because it seems to be popularly held that as long as William is happy, bugger everything else. Kate hasn't committed any scandals that I'm aware of nor was that the point I was trying to make. All I am attempting to say (apparently not terribly clearly) is that whether the public loves or despises Kate Middleton, the British public's views about her will be important, will impact her future as a potential royal bride and should be given some consideration by William and the rest of the royal family.

And this is where my question of whether or not it's legitimate dislike or superficial comes in.

If Kate has committed no crimes, broken no laws, doesn't have any out-of-wedlock children running around, does not do drugs, has no overtly scandalous family members, is a member of the CoE, is a lady and is liked and respected by the RF......what is there left for the public to dislike her about? Her hair? Her fashion sense? Whether or not she's dull? You wouldn't consider those things "superficial" reasons to dislike someone else?

When there are no real reasons to say she's not suitable left......all that's left is the petty crap.

Last edited:
[B said:
HRH Elizabeth][/B]

I think boring is in the eye of the beholder. I personally don't find Kate boring. She is discreet and low-profile and these are the character traits of people I admire. Incidentally I admire Princess Mary too and find her to be discreet also.

Questions I have about Kate have more to do about William such as is he ready to settle down and has he come to terms with being the heir to the throne. If the answer to those questions are no then he may be the nicest guy, but I don't think he's good husband material for a girl. And if he's not then I don't think the marriage between the two will succeed whether Kate is perfect princess material or not.

Sister Morphine said:
If Kate has committed no crimes, broken no laws, doesn't have any out-of-wedlock children running around, does not do drugs, has no overtly scandalous family members, is a member of the CoE, is a lady and is liked and respected by the RF......what is there left for the public to dislike her about? Her hair? Her fashion sense? Whether or not she's dull? You wouldn't consider those things "superficial" reasons to dislike someone else?

When there are no real reasons to say she's not suitable left......all that's left is the petty crap.

I have tried my utmost to understand this intense dislike of Kate, especially when it is coming from British forum members who seem to be staunch royalist. It is just not that obvious to us non-Brits. However in one of those posts she was accused of being goody-goody. Could it be that she is the first 'real commoner' from bona fide hard-working-class people (that have made it good), to have ever aspire to join the BRF at a very senior level? After all the non-royal brides at that level, the Queen Mother, Diana, Camilla are all of the aristocracy.

LOSSEAN said:
I have tried my utmost to understand this intense dislike of Kate, especially when it is coming from British forum members who seem to be staunch royalist. It is just not that obvious to us non-Brits. However in one of those posts she was accused of being goody-goody. Could it be that she is the first 'real commoner' from bona fide hard-working-class people (that have made it good), to have ever aspire to join the BRF at a very senior level? After all the non-royal brides at that level, the Queen Mother, Diana, Camilla are all of the aristocracy.

I agree 100%. I haven't heard one "real" reason for disliking her; all I've been reading are petty, superficial things. I wonder if it's because they want William to be with someone like his mom....charismatic, out-going, vivacious, etc., and since Kate is not, therefore she's not good enough or right for the job.

Sister Morphine said:
I wonder if it's because they want William to be with someone like his mom....charismatic, out-going, vivacious, etc., and since Kate is not, therefore she's not good enough or right for the job.

Diana became all those things after her marriage. Before her marriage, she seemed like the shyest girl in the world.

People have their own reasons for disliking Kate, superficial or not. While everyone may think she's the greatest thing ever, if the majority of the British people aren't fans then it's going to be very tough for her. If Kate marries William then she will become the future British Queen. The rest of the world may like her but it's very important for Brits to respect, like, and appreciate their future Queen. I, personally, have no strong objections to Kate but I don't think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread either.

But if asked today, I think a majority of the British people would view her favorably because the image she portrays is one of a demure, discrete, loyal, sensible, non-fussy young woman. It is a small, extremely small, but vocal population of mostly younger wom..err..girls, who tear her apart on a few royalty message boards on the internet. Their views I believe are by no means representative of the entire British population and their diatribes are to be taken for what they are... green-eyed monster sour grapes. I am not talking about people who have qualms about Kate and her relationship with William, I'm talking about those who viciously attack anything they can think of about her, who out and out spread lies about her and her family, etc.

Last edited:
soCal girl said:
People have their own reasons for disliking Kate, superficial or not. While everyone may think she's the greatest thing ever, if the majority of the British people aren't fans then it's going to be very tough for her. If Kate marries William then she will become the future British Queen. The rest of the world may like her but it's very important for Brits to respect, like, and appreciate their future Queen. I, personally, have no strong objections to Kate but I don't think she's the greatest thing since sliced bread either.

I could not have said it better myself - that's the only point I was trying to make.:rolleyes:

Some people seem to crave excitement, celebrity status, others prefer discretion. Would we want the sort of girl constantly speaking to the press, posing for a picture at every available opportunity, dressing for the camera? I don't believe we would. If she was like that people would soon start saying 'who does she think she is', 'she's not a princess yet' etc. :rolleyes:

First and foremost at the moment, as a single woman who is not a member of the royal family, she should be allowed some privacy and be allowed to be her quiet, dignified, self assured self.

Love this message board!! TRF is full of insightful, intelligent members who post witty and thoughtful ideas. I don't always agree, but I always learn something. (no message, just thought I'd post my thoughts.:wub: )

Skydragon said:
Some people seem to crave excitement, celebrity status, others prefer discretion. Would we want the sort of girl constantly speaking to the press, posing for a picture at every available opportunity, dressing for the camera? I don't believe we would. If she was like that people would soon start saying 'who does she think she is', 'she's not a princess yet' etc. :rolleyes:

First and foremost at the moment, as a single woman who is not a member of the royal family, she should be allowed some privacy and be allowed to be her quiet, dignified, self assured self.
As usual Skydragon, I agree with you.

Skydragon said:

Quoted for truth.

Those who claim she's too boring would be the first ones here ranting and raving about how "out of control" she is or how she thinks she's something she's not if she was running around England like Paris Hilton; constantly being photographed, interviewed, spending money wildly.....they'd be incensed.

Somehow I'm not sensing an overall British disapproval of Kate. Her press coverage there has been pretty good.

i think kate's doing a wonderful job of being discreet. diana early press coverage (before her engagement and marriage) was the same. she wasn't doing anything that warranted such coverage and she was discreet and well behaved but the public loved her. i wonder why things are different now?

The internet. And the anonymity it provides and voice it gives to jealous teeny boppers for the attacks. :lol:

Luv2Cruise said:
The internet. And the anonymity it provides and voice it gives to jealous teeny boppers for the attacks. :lol:

It's a pity that we cannot all disagree about this without stooping to name calling.

HRH Elizabeth said:
It's a pity that we cannot all disagree about this without stooping to name calling.

"Jealous teeny-boppers" may not be the appropriate phrasing, but all this does remind me of junior high and we're gossiping about the head cheerleader who is dating the captain of the football team.

"Like, OMG....did you see what Kate was wearing? Ick. Who does she think she is?"

"Like I know....she's so like....quiet and stuff. I wish she was more like, I don't know....loud or something".

"For sure."

Sister Morphine said:
"Jealous teeny-boppers" may not be the appropriate phrasing, but all this does remind me of junior high and we're gossiping about the head cheerleader who is dating the captain of the football team.

"Like, OMG....did you see what Kate was wearing? Ick. Who does she think she is?"

"Like I know....she's so like....quiet and stuff. I wish she was more like, I don't know....loud or something".

"For sure."

I agree...it certainly has disintegrated into a very juvenile discussion...but to a point, all of our discussions on this board are a form of gossip, unless any of us truly knows the people we are talking about. It is possible, however, to have an adult discussion and completely disagree without denegrating the people whose opinions we do not share and since on this thread at least, we are not doing that, we probably ought to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom