Portraits of the British Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Duchess of Cambridge hasn't been awarded any UK order, has she ? Why is she portrayed wearing a sash then ?

It's a portrait that he made up. Obviously Catherine don't have the Garter nor the Spencer Tiara.

I think it's very beautiful and creative.

Last edited:
The sash is the wrong way on Kate's and there is a diamond maple leaf brooch on it. He should of used the polar bear one ?

The painting all look like when the do Disney princess drawings as a person

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

The sash is the wrong way on Kate's and there is a diamond maple leaf brooch on it. He should of used the polar bear one ?

The painting all look like when the do Disney princess drawings as a person

Yes, it do look like a Disney drawing though. A little girls fantasy drawing, but I like it.

A version of one of the most famous portraits of Queen Elizabeth I will be owned by the public for the first time after a £10 million fundraising campaign to keep it in the country.

The life-sized oil painting, one of three surviving renditions, depicts the failed invasion of England by the Spanish Armada in 1588 and is considered to be a masterpiece.

The Armada Portrait of Queen Elizabeth I features the Queen in a gold embroidered and jewelled dress with her hand resting on a globe, while the English fleet enjoys calm waters and the approaching Spanish fleet is wrecked in a storm.
Read more: Fundraising campaign secures famous Queen Elizabeth I portrait - BT

Painter Alan Blevins had a brush with the law after creating an artwork featuring the Queen and a naked Prince Philip.

The talented artist, who’s also a well-known singer-songwriter, loves quirky ideas and decided to use the Royals as his subjects in an imagined scene of them on holiday.

His resulting painting shows the Queen dressed in blue and seated more traditionally in a chair while a full-frontal of the unclothed Prince in the foreground just spares his blushes.

Knowing the Duke of Edinburgh is reported to have quite a sense of humour, 58-year-old Alan, of Newcastle, decided to send off a postcard-size version of the painting to the royal household itself.

And it seems that sense of fun extends to the Palace police too - as Alan was stunned to receive a phone call from them.

“It was a surprise,” he admits.
Read more: Royal police get on the case of Newcastle artist who painted a naked Prince Philip - Chronicle Live

When are people going to learn that's these aren't official portraits, but very artistic portraits of the painters design? I like it.

Every artist has the right to create his own interpretation of something. I personally love portraits of a person that looks exactly like them at that moment in time. Almost photo-like. That to me is almost impossible to create unless extremely skillful. A proficiency not many achieve in their craft. But, every artist can interpret what his eyes see and how he want the world to see his subject. Not everyone's cup-of-tea, but his.

This is an improvement on the productions of some artists, I suppose. I wonder what the Queen thinks when she takes a look at yet another likeness of herself!

A decent image of the protrait: http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/3AE0/production/_91927051_queenportrait.jpg

According to the rags, Henry Ward was chosen in part, because he is an old friend of the Red Cross. His website. Henry Ward Fine Art

I think he seems far more in love with that blue velvet than Her Majesty. I like a lot of modern art, and I understand his palette and nod at classic art composition. I get off the train when he is otherwise close to photorealism - but can't get her face even close to what she looks like. He need not paint her smiling, but should not destroy her basic bone structure in the process.
And that tiara placement - I shudder! :cool:;)

Simply GHASTLY, and ripe ONLY for the 'Sutherland treatment' meted out by Lady Churchill..

Looking at the Queen's face in that painting, what I am reminded of is it strikingly resembles a woman sound asleep with her mouth open.

The oddity I noticed most was the sole bust by door. Is that supposed to actually be someone (my eyesight can't determine) or is it the lone wolf in a room devoid just about of any other embellishments? It almost looks photoshopped into the painting.

Is it supposed to be inspired by one of Q.Victoria's paintings/photos, like this one
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRDpxIIrP9ymiE2aYDfdmmQV-veOqZgZyLwDDby-68vZ_FMrWWo

I'm not a fan of the new painting, don't mind modern, abstract or even cartoonish, but the proportions just seem of for whatever style it's supposed to be...

:previous: Lee-Z and Osipi - yes like that thematically. The bust in the back of QEII is a Red Cross founder.
As to it looking photoshopped - portraitists often work from photos these days.
I can make her appear to float in air if I look at the painting - anyone else notice that? If that was the artist's intent, I just can't fathom why?
I looked at other portraits of his - some are kinda creepy and some very handsome. I'd like to see his work up close - because he's noted for his brushwork.

Oh I really, really like that portrait of mother and son, monarch and her heir.

To me, it looks like Charles was saying something amusing to his mother and she's on the verge of laughing but trying so hard to remain regal. It remains a very formal type portrait representing their positions but has an element of intimacy to it also.

I had hoped for a photo of the Queen with all of her children but this one will have to do! It is a lovely photo though.

i don't like this portrait i hate the lighting and to me it looks like they were photoshopped together from two different portraits

It does indeed looked photoshopped I'm not saying it is only that it looks like that to me. Charles arm is strange it's not on the back of the chair not sure where it is. Anyway JMO if I can have one.

https://twitter.com/ClarenceHouse/status/81021336675308749

I can't find the Portraits thread, or should this be in the 90th Celebrations thread?

New Portrait of POW and The Queen;
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cz50v7jWIAENNpc.jpg
Portraits are often jam packed with symbolism. So in this case the more darkly lit Prince looks down and laughs at his light-haloed mother?
Maybe cigar is just a cigar in this case - at least, I hope so.
Not my favorite.
She looks beautiful, though.

It does indeed looked photoshopped I'm not saying it is only that it looks like that to me. Charles arm is strange it's not on the back of the chair not sure where it is. Anyway JMO if I can have one.

I agree - it looks very odd - I'm sure a huge amount of thought and work went into this portrait, so these discrepancies are really disappointing :sad:

Not my favorite portrait but the Queen look so glorius!!

It looks photoshopped too because the Queen has a sort of halo effect around her head.

I like the portrait very much. I don't know why, maybe it is a mere liking because the picture is all about the monarch and the heir...

Back
Top Bottom