The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2012, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

I see phillip a bit tried

Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 06-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Heir Apparent

^I agree a little bit tired is natural but not ancient looking personally I think that's taking it too far.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I'd like to be the fly on the wall when Camilla and Philip get together. Can you imagine those two working in tandem?
Oh, to see those two working in tandem would be a treat of a lifetime . I wonder who would bounce off of whom with those two...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Thank you for all the links to images. Everyone looked great, loved the images of the 3 "Windsor Wives", very amusing. Would have loved to know what they were discussing, it obviously shocked Catherine and Sophie. Lovely attire today too, love their nude shoes and the pale colours. I love Catherine's dress and Sophie's ensemble. I LOVED her hat too, which I did not think I would. Camilla looked great too.

Side note, how cute is the Queen in glasses? Sqee.
I loved the picture of Catherine and Sophie laughing at whatever it was Camila was saying (and using her hands for emphasis ). Those three appear to be very cozy in each other's company which is great. Makes certain ceremonies less tedious and uncomfortable. Yes, everyone looked great, and I love Her Majesty in glasses. Makes her look very distinguished.

Quote:
A lot of people on websites (particularly the newspaper websites) comment on Sophie standing next to Catherine to get her picture taken. Where else was she meant to stand?... Camilla is her sister-in-law, they are allowed to converse at family gatherings. Next they will say she pushed Louise next to her on the balcony on Saturday.
Hey, if Sophie wanted to be in pictures, she would stand right next to the Queen , but I don't think Sophie is a type of person who wants to be in the limelight when it's not her time to do so. She gets good press coverage when she does her own engagements, and I think she's all right with that. As we know, people will say/see what they want, and use it to either praise or slander a person. Yes, I'm sure Sophie is such a devious person that she wanted to push her daughter all the way to the front, right next to Catherine so that her face would be splattered all over the press. I think that would happen when .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:16 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
A lot of people on websites (particularly the newspaper websites) comment on Sophie standing next to Catherine to get her picture taken. Where else was she meant to stand?... Camilla is her sister-in-law, they are allowed to converse at family gatherings. Next they will say she pushed Louise next to her on the balcony on Saturday.
Well, they were the three highest ranking people NOT in the procession. Of course they stood in front.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon View Post
andrew and edward don't are future kings. may be soon harry got the honour soon. May be when he married.
I always had my money on him receiving it when his father becomes King
Old 06-19-2012, 04:39 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Pure People: Kate Middleton, glamour en crème, admire son chevalier William qui défile

Hola: La complicidad de las damas de la realeza británica durante la tradicional ceremonia de la Orden de la Jarretera **
Google Traduttore

Windsorin vaimot | Lehtikuva | lehtikuva.fi
Old 06-19-2012, 03:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
Does anyone know if the Knights and Ladies always walk in the same place in the procession and how their position is determined? For example, I noticed John Major was at the front with a lady I didn't recognise but he is not the most recent or the longest-serving (for lack of a better expression) Knight?
I'm not sure how the procession is organized, but I saw some photos with John Major and Mary Soames, Baroness Soames in the lead. He is a former prime minister, and she is the last surviving child of Winston Churchill.

In hindsight, I realized it was a good sign that Philip walked unaided, even if he looked a little tired. In the pictures I saw of Margaret Thatcher, she had to be held up by people on either side.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Old 06-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Gentry

In the Zimbio link above I saw a picture of what appeared to be the entire royal family on the balcony following th Trooping the Color. I'm unfamiliar with many of the "minor" royals and wonder if somewhere there is a similar picture with identification as to who's who?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 PM
Courtier

Here is a handy who's who guide to the extended House of Windsor - The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: The Royal Wedding Guests: An Illustrated Guide (and Fashion News!)

That may be of some help
Old 06-20-2012, 08:52 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley View Post
I also love Prince William's facial expressions every year during the procession, I can't help but think he finds the whole Garter garb utterly ridiculous
Well, that does not bode well for the future, if you are interpreting correctly, as such ceremonial will be his bread-and-butter for most of his life. He has my compassion if he is already jaded - another word comes to mind but I did not see the look you mention and jaded is being kind - if he is already jaded with that which he is destined to participate in year-in-and-year-out. If he truly finds it 'ridiculous' now - what does he have to look forward to over the coming decades of royal service?

Quote:
A lot of people on websites (particularly the newspaper websites) comment on Sophie standing next to Catherine to get her picture taken. Where else was she meant to stand? Camilla is her sister-in-law, they are allowed to converse at family gatherings. Next they will say she pushed Louise next to her on the balcony on Saturday.
In the Garter video one can watch Kate actually wait for Sophie on the stairs so that they can walk down the stairs together. It's interesting that so much - I'm struggling to find a word - not power, not influence, perhaps glamour? - is being ascribed to Kate by some people - very telling. Facts seem to be that Kate is doing all she can to be a part of the whole group of royals and they for their part seem to be making every effort to be warmly supportive in public. It seems that the two women who have entered the family 'recently' - Sophie and Camilla - are the very ones who are making sure Kate is covered. Someone like Sophie, too - who was in PR professionally - would understand and have natural abilities around people pleasing. Camilla seems to be a natural at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thena View Post
In hindsight, I realized it was a good sign that Philip walked unaided, even if he looked a little tired.
He was breathing hard as they came around the corner, just before the stairs. The Queen stopped at the stairs. I think he was doing his darndest. Good man. I think July/August and Balmoral won't come soon enough for him. It's watching him at events like these that the idea that such events will 'keep him going' rather than 'wear him out' just doesn't compute for me.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Gentry

Thanks, R-Riley. That's exactly what I was looking for. I've been to that web site a few times but hadn't gotten to that page yet.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I dont understand the predeliction of the ladies of the BRF for attiring themselves in head to toe white. Much as I admire HMQEII, she's a bit long in the tooth to be consistantly wearing (especially in the evening, long) white dresses. It's also very unforgiving for ladies well past their youth (QEII, Camilla). Find a jewel tone. Not only will it be more attractive and forgiving, but it will stand out. When I see the whole group of them dressed this way, I am reminded of the movie The Bachelor, with a horde of brides chasing the prospective groom. The Queen even wears white to occasions where if would be considered extremely rude on anyone else's part...ie mother of the groom at Camilla and Charles wedding.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know it's only 36 hours or so since the death of the great Margaret Thatcher, but her death does mean that the Queen will be able to appoint a new Garter Knight. Anyone any thoughts on who she might give it to? Maybe Tony Blair to balance the Labour/Conservative representation in the Order? Had she not already given former Australian PM John Howard the Order of Merit, I could've seen him being appointed.

To the experts out there, does the Queen appoint new Knights quickly after a position opens up, or does she take her time with it?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The Queen doesn't usually create new Knights or Ladies Companion as soon as a vacancy opens. In fact, currently not one but three positions are vacant: after Baroness Thatcher's death, only 21 Knights and Ladies out of possible 24 remain. It may be years until new Knights or Ladies Companion are appointed.

As for who will, eventually, be made Knight or Lady of the Garter, I'd put my money on one or both of the last two labour Prime Ministers - Tony Blair and Gordon Brown. Granted, neither are particularly popular right now but it would be a great snub to the Labour party if two of their last prime ministers, including one who won three consecutive terms, weren't given the honour - and the Queen is supposed to be apolitical. Personally, I would expect Tony Blair's appointment within the next two years.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

I believe that there are 2 vacancies anyway

Lord Attenborough is a possibility; I'm not sure who could from the world of science; retired Head of Military services; I believe that David Hockney turned it down. Not Tony Blair.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

One of the things that surprised me doing research search on Princess Margaret was the fact that she was never made a member of the Order of the Garter. I was so shocked. HMQ has (eventually) made all her children members and Princess Alexandra became a member in 2003. I wonder if the death of Margaret gave HMQ a nudge.

I wouls love Sophie to be a member but I think that will be down to Charles. HMQ should make Camilla a member - that is a defining seal of approval.

QUESTION? When will Willem-Alexander get it? I think next year, during a Royal visit.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 04-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Nobility

This may be where Cheri's shallow to nonexistant curtsies may come to hurt him. In the end of The Queen, Helen M. tells TB how quickly you can be turned on how unexpecting it when it comes. Any previously know PMs have anti-monarchist spouses?
Old 04-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
This may be where Cheri's shallow to nonexistant curtsies may come to hurt him. In the end of The Queen, Helen M. tells TB how quickly you can be turned on how unexpecting it when it comes. Any previously know Garter Members have anti-monarchist spouses?
PMs should be Garter Members.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
This may be where Cheri's shallow to nonexistant curtsies may come to hurt him.
I dont think that will be an issue at all. Atleast from Queen Helen Mirren's "assurance" that she is least bothered about the depth of the curtseys..

Tags
ceremony, investiture, knights of the garter, order of the garter, prince george's chapel, windsor