Villa Astrida, Mortil (Spain)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cathérine Bergeyck

Heir Presumptive
The holiday residence of Fabiola is Villa Astrida in Motril (Spain), king Baudouin died here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting those Johann. I remember the white entrace of Villa Astrida from the days that Boudewijn died, still get somewhat sad to look at the villa.

Last edited:
I understood the nephews of the late Queen Fabiola (the children of her siblings) are the owners of Villa Astrida in Motril. So her blood relatives did inherit something indeed. Back then it was communicated that "the whole estate" of the late Queen was inherited by the foundation Hulpfonds van de Koningin / Œuvres de la Reine

Motril is a coastal town that must have been popular in the 1960s, but nowadays it's largely old fashioned and unpopular amongst luxury tourists. It's also literally covered in plastic because of the massive greenhouse industry of the region. Who would look to stay in a luxury hotel over there?

I understood the nephews of the late Queen Fabiola (the children of her siblings) are the owners of Villa Astrida in Motril. So her blood relatives did inherit something indeed. Back then it was communicated that "the whole estate" of the late Queen was inherited by the foundation Hulpfonds van de Koningin / Œuvres de la Reine

Is it possible that they acquired ownership of the Villa while Queen Fabiola was still alive and therefore ir was not part of the Queen's estate that was inherited by the Hulpfonds ? I know that there is some jewelry for example that Queen Fabiola gave away before she passed.

Is it possible that they acquired ownership of the Villa while Queen Fabiola was still alive and therefore ir was not part of the Queen's estate that was inherited by the Hulpfonds ? I know that there is some jewelry for example that Queen Fabiola gave away before she passed.

That is possible indeed, but there is a difference in giving away personal items "underhand" or a whole estate, which requires a notarial act and a change in the land register. Back then the late Queen wanted to establish a foundation for the Spanish properties, which was criticized in Belgian media (and exploited by politicians with a republican and separatist agenda) because of tax evasion etc. I understood the Queen dissolved all foundations and handed all over to the Hulpfonds van de Koningin. There is some mismatch with the information provided.

Last edited:
I know Motril , I rent a House in an urbanisation for Spanish high level people.
The Villa Astrida has a private Beach , so very interesting for building a Hotel.

I had no idea that Astrida was a villa of twenty rooms. In all the information I read about their late Majesties and their holidays there it always sounded like it was their tiny summer getaway home.

But I guess by Royal standards 120 rooms for a holiday villa is not very big at all.:cool:

I know Motril , I rent a House in an urbanisation for Spanish high level people.
The Villa Astrida has a private Beach , so very interesting for building a Hotel.

When the De Mora family rent it out to a hotel company, it will generate a nice annual revenue for them.

I remember around the death of the Queen that in Belgian media was suggested the Spanish blood relatives were (negatively) surprised that Fabiola has left nothing to them. This seem not correct.

(This pops up the question again: if the Queen could leave Villa Astrida to her nephews, could she do the same with other items, like the Spanish Wedding Gift diadem?)

It's gorgeous. Too bad it apparently has not remained in the Mora family.

I thought that the late queen Fabiola's De Mora nieces and nephews owned it and rented it out?

:previous: Really? Perhaps that's the case...I certainly hope so!;)

Interior scenes of Villa Astrida and a statue of Baudouin

It is especially the large private park around it, direct at sea, which makes it special. The coastline Marbella - Fuengirola - Torremolinos - Málaga - Nerja - Motril has become quite urbanized and concretized since the tourism boom which started in the 1960. Such a lush green park around a house direct at sea was "normal" in the 1960's but is now worth capitals.

Back
Top Bottom