Villa Solbacken, Djurgården

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carl Philip has got the building permit for the renovation of Villa Solbacken.

The original plan was that they would have moved in 2015, after the couple married, but the building permit was delayed when several things needed to be sorted out.
Now Mitti i can reveal that the Prince family received a building permit for renovation. In an email to the city in February Princess Sofia wrote:
"Here comes the building permit drawings! Should we book a date in early February to the start-up meeting with all involved? Kindly, Sofia."
And now a building permit is given by the city - after 14 months of waiting.
- The application has been processed to reflect the city planning, and it was only in April that the application was complete, writes Mats Kager, Head of urban office building permit department, in an email.
For security reasons, no drawings are given, but the documents indicate that the prince couple will make some changes to the exterior, and also some changes in the plan solutions. Too much should not be changed as the house is culture classified by Stadsmuseet.
- The house is considered to have a high historical value, which limits the possibilities for changes. Any changes should be gentle and not distorting, says Kager.
Margareta Thorgren from the court says that it is too early to say when a renovation can begin, but that the process is now going on with the building permit.
Who will pay for the renovation?
- Solbacken is privately owned by Prince Carl Philip and the renovation is therefore financed by the prince himself.
Prins Carl Philip renoverar sin drömkåk _ Mitt i
Translation

That must be some expensive renovations! I imagine the changes are significant, probably the reason it took a while to get a permit

Expressen has seen documents which show that the renovation of Villa Solbacken should be ready in March 2017. The court treasurer Jan Lindman thinks it is very possible that Carl Philip and Sofia can move to Villa Solbacken next spring, there has been done big renovations.
- It's about an absolutely complete interior and exterior renovation. Such elementary things as electricity and water have to be reviewed, says Jan Lindman.
How long will it take?
- We hope that this is clear, as I said in 2017.
Villa Solbacken is privately owned by Carl Philip and all renovation will therefore be funded by own resources.
- This is the prince's private property and the renovation will be paid by the prince couple. Not the royal court, says Lindman.
Då står prinsparets drömboende Villa Solbacken klart _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
The renovation of Villa Solbacken begins in the fall if the planning documents for the building permission are approved.
- In the autumn we will be able to set a definite timetable for the renovation, said Jan Lindman. I can not say for sure that it will be ready in March 2017. The construction project is a matter, then the furnishing project that will affect when the couple will actually be able to move in, says Jan Lindman, treasurer of the court.
Villa Solbacken is unlike Haga Palace, where Crown Princess Victoria lives with her family, not a royal building. The villa built in 1930 is classified as a modern k-listed building with green classification - a lower level, but it still implies a high historical value. The house is part of the Royal National City Park. This means that the buildings which house Solbacken is contained are valuable from historical, cultural, environmental or artistic point of view and not be distorted anyway.
- The fact that it is not a royal palace and thus not subject to the right of disposal from the state, there are fewer parties to assess the renovation and interior decoration. Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia have great freedom to decorate as they want, says Lindman.
Sofias och Carl Philips drömhus för Alexander är snart klart _ Kungligt _ Expressen
Translation

Last edited:
Makes sense to me. The villa is private property, logical that the couple has almost free hands within the limitations of monumental preservation.

Expressen tells about the renovation of Villa Solbacken, which is now going on. The entire property is surrounded by scaffolding and parts of the house are wrapped in plastic.
- The renovation work is ongoing, it is true, says Jan Lindman, treasurer of the court.
But it is far from clear. The plan was to move in in March 2017, a month before Alexander's first birthday in April.
Now the court tells that it is not at all certain that the family can move in then.
- You can not say it with all certainty, no. They're working on out there and it is much to be done, there is a very extensive renovation, says Lindman.
Här byggs prinsessan Sofias och prins Carl Philips drömhus _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Expressen tells about the renovation of Villa Solbacken

Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia painted their house - without permission.
The couple are criticized in a report from the Stockholm City, but they don't have to fix the error.
- I had not agreed to the color, says curator Eva Wallström who never was consulted about the color scheme.
The document from the City of Stockholm Expressen has taken note of states that the municipality had comments regarding the color of the facade. The comments emerged after a visit to the municipality did during the ongoing work on the construction.
"The facade is cleaned and colored without our participation. The yellow tint on the facade is slightly lighter than the original", the document said.
As Villa Solbacken is a building that is considered to be of historical value there are strict rules about how the house must be renovated.
- A curator is usually involved in the process in order to be able to ensure that the cultural and historical value are preserved, says Eva Wallström.
In this case the Royal couple, through its contractor, has not let the curator to part in the decision on what color the facade should have.
The facade is slightly lighter than the original color - which is not approved by the curator.
- I had chosen another yellow tone to make it conform to the original tone, says Eva Wallström.
In retrospect - had you accepted that color?
- I had not agreed to the color. But there is a small nuance, so there is no major deviation.
Will this lead to any action?
- No, the differential is not so great that it is reasonable to ask for change, says Wallström.
Margareta Thorgren from the press department:
- This is a private building, and therefore it is nothing that the court can comment.
Carl Philip och Sofia får kritik för sitt val av färg _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Svensk Damtidning has an article about the renovation on their newest issue.

Web magazine Stoppa pressarna quotes Svensk Damtidning's last week's article about the renovation of Villa Solbacken.
Sofias sanslösa lyxrenovering _ Stoppa Pressarna
Translation

"Stoppa Pressarna" is the most horrible swedish tabloid out there. They have written so much garbage through the years. Almost worse than Daily Mail.

There is nothing strange about a major renovation, since the house is old, and there has been (if I remember correctly) issues with damp, asbestos and other things.

And if someone for just one moment believes that Carl Philip, who is so much into design, should ignore the renovation of his own home - a gift from his beloved godfather - please think again.

Why does the state decide on the colour of paint of a private house? I understand the building may be a monument (though it looks like nothing exceptional to me), but the colour of paint is easily changed and will give no lasting damage to the building. I am sure they will not have it painted in neon colours, so the neighbours can not possibly object either.

The original colour of the house must have been brighter once too... it seems it has not been painted for quite a while, which usually darkens the paint.

Last edited:
Why does the state decide on the colour of paint of a private house? I understand the building may be a monument (though it looks like nothing exceptional to me), but the colour of paint is easily changed and will give no lasting damage to the building. I am sure they will have it painted in neon colours, so the neighbours can not possibly object either.

The original colour of the house must have been brighter once too... it seems it has not been painted for quite a while, which usually darkens the paint.

I'm not sure, but I think that the house is... hmm... I think it's called grade 2 listed in the UK. You can change things, but the changes has to be approved by the town planners.

Why does the state decide on the colour of paint of a private house? I understand the building may be a monument (though it looks like nothing exceptional to me), but the colour of paint is easily changed and will give no lasting damage to the building. I am sure they will not have it painted in neon colours, so the neighbours can not possibly object either.

According to the rules you might need a permit from the municipality if you want to change the colour. But that is only if the change of colour on the building will change the characteristics of the building and/or the neighborhood.

"Stoppa Pressarna" is the most horrible swedish tabloid out there. They have written so much garbage through the years. Almost worse than Daily Mail.

There is nothing strange about a major renovation, since the house is old, and there has been (if I remember correctly) issues with damp, asbestos and other things.

Yes, Stoppa pressarna is a gossip web magazine - but it quotes (mostly) other swedish magazines (Expressen, Aftonbladet, Hänt Extra, Hänt i Veckan, Svensk Damtidning etc), in this case Svensk Damtidning.
"Sofia totalriver i Lilians hus" Svensk Damtidnings dokument avslöjar
http://www.svenskdam.se/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/omsl-7-700x936.png

Photos of Villa Solbacken taken on 17th February by photographer Noella Johansson.
http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:108831181:1800x650:w?v=589d8cb0&m=gcinmogh
http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:108831183:1200x312:w?v=589d8cb0&m=glelpjhi

Villa Solbacken in September 2014
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
In 2015
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

As I have previously written to this thread Villa Solbacken is classified as a modern k-listed building, green classification. For this reason Carl Philip and Sofia had to apply for any changes they wanted to make, both externally and internally.
"Green classification involves also a high cultural value and means that buildings are particularly valuable from historical, cultural, environmental or artistic point of view. Briefly, green classification means that no intervention in the building may be made which from the cultural point of view are careless, negative for townscape or twist the cultural value."
Stadsmuseets kulturhistoriska klassificering - Stadsmuseet

Last edited:
Expressen tells that the renovation of Villa Solbacken is still going on. It was previously told that Carl Philip and Sofia could move in in March. Jan Lindman, the financial director of the court, says that they don't know when it will be ready, they don't have an exact time schedule. They're still renovating. The renovation is proceeding with some smaller projects and when it is finished, they will start with the interior decoration.
It's now uncertain if the couple at all will be able to move into their house before their second child is born. Lindman says that it can't be said if it will be so. But the renovation goes well, they have come a long way.
Osäkerheten kring drömhuset inför prinsessan Sofias förlossning _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Last edited:
Well, this doesn't suprise me at all. I highly doubted that the house would have been ready by March. And now, that Sofia is pregnant again, even in the eventuality the home would be ready any day now, I think the couple would wait for the birth before moving in.

Carl Philip and Sofia can now move to Villa Solbacken, according to Expressen.

- The building can be used and they can move in, says Peter Hedlöf, managing director at the city-building office of the City of Stockholm.
Expressen can reveal that it is Louise "Lussan" Gottlieb who decorated the house. She is one of Madeleine's best friends and has helped Sofia and Carl Philip in the autumn and early spring with their important project.
At the beginning of the project, the couple decided that "Lussan" would be commissioned as interior designer. She runs the interior design firm Gottlieb Design.
Expressen has been in contact with Louise Gottlieb, who greets that she has no comments.
On the entrance level there is, Expressen finds out, a kitchen with connecting dining room, two lounges, wc and an office with storage for clothes. Here the couple can receive guests - partly private ones, as well as official guests whom they receive in their assignments as a Prince or Princess.
Upstairs there is the more private part of the residence, four bedrooms - three smaller and one master bedroom. To the three smaller bedrooms there is a children's bathroom that is specially adapted for the youngest members of the Prince family. Upstairs there is also a private living room.
In the basement, there are necessities such as storage room, laundry room, shower and toilet.
However, the authorization to move in is conditional. There are some controls that for various reasons have not been done and some remarks. They are not deemed to be particularly large and the family can therefore move in. As late as Wednesday afternoon, a few craftsmen were in place at the villa.
- But, in essence, the house works as a home, says Peter Hedlöf.
By the end of June, remarks should have been corrected and checks that have not been done carried out.
- It's a move that will happen gradually. As the plan is now, everything will be done before the summer and before Princess Sofia gives birth in September.
Prinsessan Sofias glädjebesked – flyttar in i sitt drömhus _ Kungligt _ Expressen

Photos of Villa Solbacken taken on 2nd April by photographer Patrik C Österberg.
IBL Bildbyrå

And taken on 17th May by photographer Sven Lindwall.
http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:117012965:1800x650:w?v=591d36ca&m=iojmhnen
http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:117012957:1800x650:w?v=591d36ca&m=ijonccoc
http://3.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:117012998:1800x650:w?v=591d36ca&m=fijhhmig
http://0.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:117012993:1800x650:w?v=591d36ca&m=ijpmbddl
http://2.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:117012980:1800x650:w?v=591d36ca&m=fioejgjh

Last edited:
Prince Carl and Princess Sofia of Sweden

Does anyone know how many sq. feet Villa Solbacken is..the home of Prince Carl and Princess Sofia?

According to the swedish press, Villa Solbacken is about 250 square meters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone sent to Svensk Damtidning's office a photo from the gates of Villa Solbacken.
Svensk Damtidning writes that the ancient black iron gate has been removed. The entrance is blocked by a giant container. As long as it is there, no one can drive in or out of Villa Solbacken, this is the only car entrance.
The direct reason why the Royal Djurgården Administration is working on the site seems to be the damaged tree on the right in the picture, the container is said to be filled with cut branches.
Where do Sofia and Carl Philip live in the meantime? With three small children, this is not the safest place. Much therefore suggests that they may have been temporarily evacuated.
There are also unconfirmed reports that the entire family is currently abroad on a belated autumn holiday trip.
Motgång i hemmet för Sofia och Carl Philip – bilden visar _*Svensk Dam

Back
Top Bottom