La Mareta Residence, Lanzarote

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lula

Imperial Majesty
Country
Spain
Photos of LA MARETA from ELMUNDO

Attachments

• mareta.jpg
    mareta.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 5,396
  • mareta1.jpg
    mareta1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 9,465
  • mareta2.jpg
    mareta2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 11,003
  • mareta3.jpg
    mareta3.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 4,147
  • mareta4.jpg
    mareta4.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 3,872
Last edited:
From Hola:

«La Mareta was designed by the Lanzarote architect César Manrique and it combines all the comforts to guarantee the rest of its guests, thanks to the amenable microclimate of the island, with Spring-like temperature throughout the whole the year, which has turned it one of the favourite destinies of the Royal Family.

In spite of his frequent stays in the island, king Hussein of Jordan (who ordered its construction in the end of the ‘70s) was never lodged at La Mareta. Thanks to his friendship with the Spanish king, he gave the house to Don Juan Carlos and, in the end of the ‘80s, the building has became part of the National Patrimony».

Last edited:
I would like to ask one thing that has been intriguing me in the last week... to whom belongs La Mareta?! Just wondering, maybe anyone can help me...

Regards,
mtbcm

Last edited by a moderator:
mtbcm said:
I would like to ask one thing that has been intriguing me in the last week... to whom belongs La Mareta?! Just wondering, maybe anyone can help me...
The Mareta was Hussein of Jordania gift to the King Juan Carlos, in turn the King it yielded to National Wealth. National Wealth is a state organism, created to manage buildings that were of the Wreath or were linked to it. These buildings belong to the State, not to the Royal Family, but this one has the right to enjoy them. The Zarzuela, the Royal Palace, the Palace of El Pardo, the House of the Prince ... they belong to this organism. Not Marivent that belongs to the Government of Majorca, and that yields it to the Royal Family (in exchange for the unpayable advertising that it supposes that they pass there the vacations).

Last edited by a moderator:

The Mareta was Hussein of Jordania gift to the King Juan Carlos, in turn the King it yielded to National Wealth. National Wealth is a state organism, created to manage buildings that were of the Wreath or were linked to it. These buildings belong to the State, not to the Royal Family, but this one has the right to enjoy them. The Zarzuela, the Royal Palace, the Palace of El Pardo, the House of the Prince ... they belong to this organism. Not Marivent that belongs to the Government of Majorca, and that yields it to the Royal Family (in exchange for the unpayable advertising that it supposes that they pass there the vacations).

I think it is very smart of the Royal Family to make them part of the National Wealth so they don't have to spend their own money maintaining the building. If it is part of the government, why can't everyone use it? I bet that most of their palaces are "not theirs but they can use it" kind of thing. I think they should at least pay for it. Too much!

I think it is very smart of the Royal Family to make them part of the National Wealth so they don't have to spend their own money maintaining the building. If it is part of the government, why can't everyone use it? I bet that most of their palaces are "not theirs but they can use it" kind of thing. I think they should at least pay for it. Too much!

Any State has its patrimony, in a Republic the presidents of the Republic have their residences that belong to the State ... this is not different. Zapatero has passed several summers in La Mareta, in spite of the fact that the Presidency of the Government also has its own buildings. The ministers also have housings that belong to the State.

The State supports them, the Royal Family only enjoys the palaces that they use as residence, other palaces are public and can be visited. For its historical, artistic, cultural or even economic value it is better that these things are in hands of the State, because but end would be to finish in private hands without the people could enjoy it. In it the Patrimony consists... The collections of the Prado Museum were the royal collections, which a King decided to donate to the State in order that the whole people could visit them and it was several centuries ago. We are speaking about historical very important collections that have an immense cultural value...and let's not say economic value a paint of Velázquez? Or Goya?...

Later there are all the gifts that other countries and institutions do to the Royal Family, the normal thing is that the gifts of State them the State remains. Others, since first Fortune I give of the King Fahd or The Martea gift of the King Hussein are to half a way between the public thing and the personal thing ... but if the King had accepted them as personal gifts and it them had not yielded to the State, it had been considered to be scandalous.

Any State has its patrimony, in a Republic the presidents of the Republic have their residences that belong to the State ... this is not different. Zapatero has passed several summers in La Mareta, in spite of the fact that the Presidency of the Government also has its own buildings. The ministers also have housings that belong to the State.

The State supports them, the Royal Family only enjoys the palaces that they use as residence, other palaces are public and can be visited. For its historical, artistic, cultural or even economic value it is better that these things are in hands of the State, because but end would be to finish in private hands without the people could enjoy it. In it the Patrimony consists... The collections of the Prado Museum were the royal collections, which a King decided to donate to the State in order that the whole people could visit them and it was several centuries ago. We are speaking about historical very important collections that have an immense cultural value...and let's not say economic value a paint of Velázquez? Or Goya?...

Later there are all the gifts that other countries and institutions do to the Royal Family, the normal thing is that the gifts of State them the State remains. Others, since first Fortune I give of the King Fahd or The Martea gift of the King Hussein are to half a way between the public thing and the personal thing ... but if the King had accepted them as personal gifts and it them had not yielded to the State, it had been considered to be scandalous.

This makes sense. Thanks for your reply. Can anyone in Spain then use the Fortuna? I still believe that it is a matter of convenience.

I compare to my American White House. Person in power lives there as part of his perk of the job -- no different -- and I as an American cannot and should not use it as my own home or whatever -- plus president should not have to maintain using personal wealth. Royal Family is smart to make them as part of National Wealth -- you don't think that Queen Elizabeth II owns all the palaces, just the ones she purchased (or her family) with their personal money the rest is owned by the country.

how often do they use this palace - is just when they are on visits to the island

i remember that Felipe and Letizia stayed here after christmas 2005 when Leonor was only a few months old

Now The Royal Family not used it very Often. Only when they went to the Island in vacation.

I wonder when was the last time a member of the royal family resided at La Mareta in Lanzarote?

By decision of King Felipe, National Heritage and the Ministry of Tourism have signed an agreement to use La Mareta for the promotion of Spain and tourism.

La Mareta continue to be a royal residence, but also goes to other activities.

They will invite leaders, representatives of international institutions or figures from the world of culture to stay in La Mareta, in order to contribute to promote the Spain Brand. Also they can hold events related to tourism and culture in its facilities.

El Rey comparte La Mareta

Well, La Mareta isn't Felipe's to give anyway, it belongs to Patrimonio Nacional but there are tons of weird laws that only allow the Royal Family to use certain places :rolleyes:

We all pay them but can't visit most of them smh, hopefully they can do the same with Marivent later, since they prefer to stay abroad for their holidays.

Except Zarzuela, permanent residence of the Royal Family, and La Mareta, all the palaces and monasteries of National Heritage are open to the public.

Patrimonio Nacional

Marivent does not belong to the National Heritage, it belongs to the Council of the Balearic Islands.

La Mareta is rarely used by the Royal Family so that sounds like a wise decision and at least it will have some use.

following the decision of felipe to use la mareta residence for touristic promotion purposes, el mundo publishes an article on the residence, which was a present by the jordanian king hussein to the king of spain, and of other 'presents' by foreign royalty to the spanish royals. among these are 2 identical ferraris in black and silver given to the king and allegedly his then 'friend' corinna.

the cars went on auction recently but weren't bought. there's a link to an older article, mentioning corinna's 'exile' from spain following JC's accident in botswana and the shooting of the elephant, where she went with him. before that point, she was leaving in a residence on the grounds of el pardo, belonging to the national patrimony, which has a private access road to the palace of zarzuela.

El Rey 'se deshace' de un palacio que los reyes jordanos regalaron a Juan Carlos I | loc | EL MUNDO
El Ferrari negro que la princesa Corinna nunca pudo estrenar | loc | EL MUNDO
Diez curiosidades de la casa de Corinna en El Pardo. Noticias de Casas Reales

Last edited:
Its a total waste of a residence and hasn't been used in years by the RR think it was to be used by Spanish tourism but not sure if that ever happened.

At least someone is getting to enjoy it!

La Mareta was donated by King Hussein of Jordan to King Juan Carlos, and King Juan Carlos donated it to the Spanish state. Is donation is good to politicians and journalists?Spanish politicians and journalists criticize King Juan Carlos because he is living in the zarzuela palace, and they say that the king should go and live abroad, but the Prime Minister will spend his vacation in this house.

:previous: This is very interesting that the Prime Minister chooses to vacation at this particular property given its history related to King Juan Carlos

https://www.abc.es/espana/abci-sanc...carlos-cedio-estado-202008051207_noticia.html
"In 2015, King Felipe decided to put the residence at the service of the tourist interests of Spain. The then Minister of Tourism, José Manuel Soria, said the idea was that international leaders or figures from the world of culture could stay there and contribute to the Spain Brand."

Back
Top Bottom