The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > Book Club archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: What books would you like to read for a Royal Book Club? You can vote on more than 1
King, Kaiser, Tsar: Three Royal Cousins Who Led the World to War: Catrine Clay: Books 18 54.55%
Princess Margaret: Tim Heald: Books. 12 36.36%
The Royal Physician's Visit: A Novel: Per Olov Enquist,Tiina Nunnally: Books 4 12.12%
The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers: Margaret George: Books 4 12.12%
Born to Rule, by Julia P. Gelardi, Paperback 9 27.27%
The Duchess Of Windsor: The Uncommon Life of Wallis Simpson: Greg King: Books 8 24.24%
Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne: Ben Hills: Books 8 24.24%
A Royal Duty: Paul Burrell: Books 2 6.06%
Diana: Sarah Bradford: Books 5 15.15%
Ever After: Diana and the Life She Led: Anne Edwards: Books 2 6.06%
Christina Queen of Sweden: Veronica Buckley: Books 5 15.15%
The Kitchen Boy : A Novel of the Last Tsar: Robert Alexander: Books 8 24.24%
Margaret: The Last Real Princess: Noel Botham: Books 4 12.12%
The Marlborough House set: Anita Leslie: Books 9 27.27%
Amazon.com: The Mad King: The Life and Times of Ludwig II of Bavaria: Greg King: Books 4 12.12%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:50 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
The reviews (for Royal Physicians Visit) were all over the place but most seemed favorable. However, I think I'll move it to the bottom of the wish list after reading your review. And thank you for sharing it with me.

As for the Princess Margaret book by Tim Heald. B&N doesn't have it, BAM doesn't either. And it takes 4 to 7 weeks for shipping via Amazon (sometimes it ships sooner but you never know with them). Borders on line is via Amazon but I'm hoping it is on the shelf at the local Borders. If not, well, I guess I'll be reading it in 4-7 weeks.

Cat
I ordered mine from the Amazon Marketplace Sellers programme at Amazon.co.uk. They have it in stock at Amazon.co.uk if you don't want to buy a used copy. If you're signed up for Amazon.com, you should be able to buy from the British Amazon.

There are also second-hand copies available from Amazon.com, and they'd ship a lot faster than 4-7 weeks.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Now for a historical read, this novel based on the premise of Henry VIII's autobiography does indeed look interesting. I read some snippets standing up in a book store.

Amazon.com: The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers: Margaret George: Books

"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel View Post
Now for a historical read, this novel based on the premise of Henry VIII's autobiography does indeed look interesting. I read some snippets standing up in a book store.

Amazon.com: The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers: Margaret George: Books
Sounds like an interesting read and, if the first page is anything to go by, it should be quite entertaining as well. I thought this might also be a good one to consider. It will probably be more of a Reader's Digest of these 5 queens but they lead such vastly different and interesting lives.

Barnes*&*Noble.com - Books: Born to Rule, by Julia P. Gelardi, Paperback

Cat
Old 03-15-2008, 10:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
I ordered mine from the Amazon Marketplace Sellers programme at Amazon.co.uk. They have it in stock at Amazon.co.uk if you don't want to buy a used copy. If you're signed up for Amazon.com, you should be able to buy from the British Amazon.

There are also second-hand copies available from Amazon.com, and they'd ship a lot faster than 4-7 weeks.
Thanks Elspeth. I'll check my local Borders tomorrow - though I must admit I'm not too hopeful they will have it in stock. If n success in that quarter I'll order it used from Amazon and keep my fingers crossed.

Cat
Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 PM
Heir Apparent

A couple Greg King's I've wanted to get to:
The Duchess of Windsor, the Uncommon Life of Wallis Simpson and
The Mad King: The Life and Times of Ludwig II of Bavaria.

If I can, I will try to persuade him to come post on this forum about his books if we do a book of the month. But he's so darned busy!!!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

It looks like a lot of people are ordering Amazon.com: Princess Margaret: Tim Heald: Books.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

I've read his Duchess of Windsor book and really liked it. I'd be interested in having that be a book club selection for one month because it's a different perspective on Wallis.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:22 PM
Imperial Majesty

We have a list of about five people who've expressed interest in Tim Heald's Princess Margaret book. Are there any other people to add to the list?
Old 03-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCat View Post
Sounds like an interesting read and, if the first page is anything to go by, it should be quite entertaining as well. I thought this might also be a good one to consider. It will probably be more of a Reader's Digest of these 5 queens but they lead such vastly different and interesting lives.

Barnes*&*Noble.com - Books: Born to Rule, by Julia P. Gelardi, Paperback

Cat
"Born To Rule" isn't really a Readers Digest sort of experience because it goes to some lengths to compare the experiences of the five cousins as well as tell their individual stories. I'd recommend it.

And I didn't mean to put you off The Royal Physician's Visit; I guess I was just surprised how much twisted religious fervour there was at the Danish court back then, considering that we tend to see Denmark as a bastion of common sense and tolerance these days. I was rather horrified at some of what I was reading, but it was because the actual situation there was horrifying, not because the book itself was a problem. You tend to think of the birth of the Enlightenment as a positive step in the history of Europe, but it was really interesting to read about how hard a birth it was in some countries.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here are two suggestions:

Princess Masako: Prisoner of the Chrysanthemum Throne

A Royal Duty
Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Aristocracy

Yep I'm happy to buy this book
Old 03-19-2008, 05:00 PM
Imperial Majesty

I ordered it second hand from an Amazon bookseller in England, so it should hopefully arrive sometime in the next week or two.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
In the Diana books, I'd suggest Bradford's biography which is fairly unbiased. The Diana Chronicles by Tina Brown is a book you should consider. It contains a great amount of sources and it's a really different way to learn about Diana.

For Queen Elizabeth II, I've read a tremendous biography by Marc Roche, Elizabeth II, La dernière Reine (Elizabeth II, the last Queen). Very interesting but unfortunately it has only been published in French.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 03-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

For the Diana books, Ever After by Anne Edwards.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
We have a list of about five people who've expressed interest in Tim Heald's Princess Margaret book. Are there any other people to add to the list?
That's a good start. Maybe after this Month, or slate it for April, you can take the suggestions offered and make a poll??
Old 03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Nobility

Quote:
"Born To Rule" isn't really a Readers Digest sort of experience because it goes to some lengths to compare the experiences of the five cousins as well as tell their individual stories. I'd recommend it.

And I didn't mean to put you off The Royal Physician's Visit; I guess I was just surprised how much twisted religious fervour there was at the Danish court back then, considering that we tend to see Denmark as a bastion of common sense and tolerance these days. I was rather horrified at some of what I was reading, but it was because the actual situation there was horrifying, not because the book itself was a problem. You tend to think of the birth of the Enlightenment as a positive step in the history of Europe, but it was really interesting to read about how hard a birth it was in some countries.
Elspeth, we may have to exclude you from the book club -- seems you've read just about everything published already.

Don't worry that you put me off reading RPV and thanks for the further insight into the book. It sounds fascinating and I do plan to order it.

Cat
Old 03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

Russophile and LadyCat have told me they're also interested.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

For those of you with a bent for "ancient" history, I stumbled across a biography of Anne Boleyn's sister-in-law, the infamous Lady Rochford who figured in so many Tudor scandals. I was flipping through it in Barnes & Noble and thought it sounded very interesting -- a glimpse at a figure who keeps popping up (rather like a malevolent Forrest Gump) but who seems to fly under most biographers' radars.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

We merged the two book club threads so as not to drive members crazy.

First of what we'll take Russophile's suggestion and start a poll so you can vote on the books you'd like to read. We'll set the poll so you can vote on more than one book. Whoever could only read one book?

We're hoping that you won't be too embarassed for other members to know what book you voted for. (We figured at least that if you were willing to take part in a book club, you wouldn't be TOO embarassed to let other people know the books you're interested in.) But it will help us coordinate the club.

If you have some more book suggestions then by all means post them here in the thread and we'll add them to the poll.

I'm looking forward to this Royal Book Club. I think it will be a lot of fun.
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Here's a book that was recommended to me by Roslyn and which I've nearly finished: The Marlborough House Set by Anita Leslie, granddaughter of one of the members of this group of aristocrats who were friendly with Edward VII during his years as Prince of Wales and later as King.

Amazon.com: The Marlborough House set: Anita Leslie: Books