The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Courtier

"Grace of Monaco" (Cannes May 2014, US release uncertain)

I saw this project mentioned a few months ago when it was revealed by the Hollywood Reporter that European producer, Pierre-Ange Le Pogam, had won the rights to an in-demand spec script about Princess Grace of Monaco.

The film will focus on the six month period in 1962 in which Princess Grace used her smarts and charms to save the small nation's government from being overthrown by the French.

Grace Kelly Film in the Works (Exclusive) - The Hollywood Reporter

The latest word is that Helmer Olivier Dahan has signed on to direct "Grace of Monaco". He previously directed Marion Cotillard in "La Vie En Rose".

The release date has been set for 2014. Now, who is best suited to play a 33 year old Grace. ?

Of the people listed in the comments section I prefer Diane Kruger. She certainly has the looks.
Some people say Charlize Theron. I think that Charlize would be ideal as Princess Charlene of Monaco but not Princess Grace.

‘La Vie En Rose’ Helmer Olivier Dahan To Direct Grace Kelly Film ‘Grace Of Monaco’ – Deadline.com

Old 01-12-2012, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Interesting news Breffney & it will also be of interest to see who gets the staring role!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Interesting news Breffney & it will also be of interest to see who gets the staring role!
An Ard Ri, I hope that it isn't one of those projects that sits and gathers dust.

But the fact that they now have a director looks good.

I think that Diane Kruger has the fine features and aesthetic beauty of Grace.

It doesn't sound like a fluffy, light-weight movie but a serious one.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Sadly thats a possibility given the current climate!
I wonder who'll be line up to play the late Princess Antoinette
Old 01-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

This movie will be interesting. Anyone know if it will be a movie based on her late serene highnesses' life or just a movie in documentary form.who will be playing her and prince rainier III?
Old 01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Heir Presumptive

Olivier Dahan did an alright job directing La Môme, although Marion Cotillard really carried that movie. I really do not hope that Charlize Theron will portray Grace, she's never been a favourite actress of mine and I agree, Diane Kruger (who on the contrary is one of my favourite actresses) would be a much more suitable choice for the part.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if Diane Kruger could pull off Grace's American accent, which she never lost. Charlize Theron is a master of accents, and has the acting ability to portray HSH.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 AM
Courtier

I think Charlize Theron could play both, Charlene and Grace.
I don't think Diane Kruger would be the perfect person for this.
I'm not a fan of Scarlett Johannson but I guess the producers have something like her in mind
Old 01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post

I wonder who'll be line up to play the late Princess Antoinette
Is anyone worthy enough, An Ard Ri. ?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandduchess24 View Post
This movie will be interesting. Anyone know if it will be a movie based on her late serene highnesses' life or just a movie in documentary form.who will be playing her and prince rainier III?
The movie for the most part will focus on the crucial role that Grace played in saving Monaco from being taken over by France in 1962.

No one has been cast yet. It is all speculation at this stage.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Royal Highness

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Royal Family try and quash this. I say this because of their quite robust attitude towards published material. It will be interesting to see Albert's reaction and whether the family are consulted. Also I guess the material, although historic could be potentially damaging to Monaco's relationship with France.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Royal Highness

Last weekend they had an article about the planned biopic in an Austrian magazine with an interview of the director (who had known Princess Grace for a long time).So far it seems as if they have no concrete plans yet for making the film,but I hope that it will be realised soon (and in good quality of course!)
The film will focus on Grace Kelly before she went to Monaco,it will show how she freed herself from her puritan background to become an independent woman and succesful actress.Charlize Theron has been asked if she wants to take the role after they had seen her in the last J´adore Dior advert:
According to the article Prince Albert has been consulted but nevertheless I believe there are still many obstacles before they will even start making the film,let alone the time it will take until we can watch it in the cinemas...

I will see if I can find the article again & post it...
Old 01-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Courtier

I would love to see the article as the plot line seems different to the articles that I have read about the film.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Royal Highness

I found this article about the film

Grace of Monaco
Old 01-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Serene Highness

Depending on where the film is made, it would be rather difficult to quash it.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
I found this article about the film

Grace of Monaco
Interesting line in the article "it pits her personal life against the politics of the time".
Thanks, Elly C
Old 01-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diane Kruger isn't pretty enough imo; it is so upsetting when a plain actress is hired to play a beautiful person. Charlieze Theron could pull it off.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 01-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Royal Highness

I am afraid I threw away the magazine with that interview& I can´t find it online,I am very sorry :-(
While I was Google-searching for it,I found some interesting articles on the upcoming movies-as it seems there are going to be 2 films from different directors (Robert Dornhelm and Olivier Dahan)who want to tell Grace Kelly´s story from a different view.They haven´t yet chosen the lead actress for both films...I guess we better wait & drink tea until we can say something concrete.

Grace Kelly film - actress in movie (Vogue.com UK)

These are in German:
Gracy-Kelly-Film: Robert Dornhelm übernimmt Regie « DiePresse.com
Gleich zwei Filmbiografien über Grace Kelly geplant - Riviera Côte d'Azur Zeitung Online

A little bit about Olivier Dahan´s GK-movie:
'La Vie En Rose' Director Olivier Dahan To Helm Grace Kelly Biopic... About Tax Havens | The Playlist
Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Courtier

Thank you so much for that, blauerengel.

Two movies, that is so exciting. Both very different. Robert Dornhelm's will be very interesting given that he had been a good friend of Grace's. How much will he reveal. ? How much detail about her personal life both before and after marriage will he divulge. ?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Grace of Monaco - 2014

The story of former Hollywood star Grace Kelly's involvement with Monaco's Prince Rainier III and France's Charles De Gaulle dispute over tax laws in the early 1960s.

Nicole Kidman in talks to play Grace Kelly in new movie | Mail Online

IMDb - Grace of Monaco (2014)