The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library > The Electronic Domain

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

We might get a dvd release before Christmas?

Old 07-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Serene Highness

Just seen it, it's beautifully bad.... The acting is indeed really wooden but i'm more disturbed by the numerous and laughable historical inaccuracies ...

Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Nico,

"Beautifully bad" is precisely how I would describe the clips I have seen-LOL!
Old 09-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

As per Amazon.com Grace of Monaco will be released on dvd on October 13th!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Royal Highness

I have just seen the movie. Good heavens, it is really the poorest of the poor... Even the most simple fact that Prince Ranier III never ever wore glasses has been missed: the whole movie he is wearing big, black thick spectacles. Nicole Kidman was so botoxed that I could barely read any emotion or mood from her face. Princess Grace is portrayed as a sort of saviour of the little principality because she prevented an invasion by France, purely thanks to her charm. Good heavens. Monaco is 100% dependent on France. Just switch of electricity and gas, block the roads and harbor and the "state" is French...

Definitely a no-no and a waste of my precious Sunday hours. Luckily I paid no centime for it (just downloaded via peer-to-peer).

Old 10-20-2014, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I watched the movie over the weekend and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting,the sets/locations and costumes were stunning,but my goodness what a vapid script with the weakest plot being Princess Antoinette who was barely onscreen but heavily villianised,no wonder the Princely Family washed their hands of it all!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Heir Apparent

I just can't imagine why Harvey Weinstein thought this would be a good idea. Maybe because he had such great response/success from his other "Royal" movie..."The King's Speech"...and he believed lightening would strike twice?

I feel embarrassed just reading the synopsis of "Grace"...too silly for words. And from seeing the trailers, I agree about Nicole Kidman and the Botox....
Old 11-08-2014, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I watched the movie last week, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't brilliant either. Diana was definitely worse. It was quite cheesy in some parts, but the rest of it was bearable. I'm not sure if it's historically accurate, but I didn't realise that France wanted Monaco to become part of their country when Grace was Princess. I noted that Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and her sister Princess Maria Chiara both had minor roles in the film, I think they played two little girls during a clip of a visit Grace was making to the public.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 11-08-2014, 02:01 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
[....] I'm not sure if it's historically accurate, but I didn't realise that France wanted Monaco to become part of their country when Grace was Princess
You have answered your own question (Is the movie historically accurate?): it is not at al accurate.

In the movie Prince Rainier (for some reason totally unaccurately depicted with thick, black spectacles ...) faces a challenge to his rather diminutive power: Charles de Gaulle. The French president intends to force Monaco to come on an agreement with France about tax evasion. He could not accept that French citizens and companies could escape taxes due to a loophole and the "fight" was about allowing the presumed right of the super-rich to sequester their obscene wealth in a tiny tax-free principality which is for 99% of its existence depending on France.

Several daft subplots rub up, mostly having been fictionalised or transplanted from another point in history. For example, it is true that Princess Antoinette tried to take the throne – but that was in 1950, not 1962. In a hopeless attempt to some credibility, the movie suggests that General de Gaulle is attempting to conquer Monaco because Grace wants to be in a Hitchcock film. Nope. Finally, our heroïne Grace figures out how to end the war (there wasn't a war at all) – throw a party! Hooray!

Old 11-08-2014, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Depicting Prince Rainier wearing glasses isn't totally innaccurate. He did wear them during his later years.

Prince Rainier III of Monaco arrives with daughter Princess Caroline... News Photo 3370603 | Getty Images

Pin by Angelica Cortesi on Princess Stephanie di Monaco and her famil…

Pin by WhatAmalWore.com on Adorable! | Pinterest

I'm not sure why the movie had him wearing them during his younger years though.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I watched the movie last week, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasn't brilliant either. Diana was definitely worse. It was quite cheesy in some parts, but the rest of it was bearable. I'm not sure if it's historically accurate, but I didn't realise that France wanted Monaco to become part of their country when Grace was Princess. I noted that Princess Maria Carolina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and her sister Princess Maria Chiara both had minor roles in the film, I think they played two little girls during a clip of a visit Grace was making to the public.

It was better than the recent Diana movie now that was a turkey!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
You have answered your own question (Is the movie historically accurate?): it is not at al accurate.
I did not ask that question; therefore I haven't answered my own question. I didn't ask any questions. I had just said that I wasn't sure if the movie was historically accurate or not.

The title of the thread mentions that the release date in the US is uncertain. Has it now been released over there and have any of our US posters here seen the movie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
It was better than the recent Diana movie now that was a turkey!
Indeed it was! I also thought Grace of Monaco was rather boring, whereas Diana wasn't particularly - it was just plain bad.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:58 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
I watched the movie over the weekend and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting,the sets/locations and costumes were stunning,but my goodness what a vapid script with the weakest plot being Princess Antoinette who was barely onscreen but heavily villianised,no wonder the Princely Family washed their hands of it all!
I watched it last night, An Ard Ri. I agree with you regarding the sets / locations and costumes. It wasn't great but I have seen worse. Though why it was felt necessary to portray Antoinette trying to overthrow Rainier in 1962 is beyond me. Totally stupid, IMO.

Some of the dialogue was cringe-worthy.

That said, although I had heard Frank Langellas's voice-over a number of times when I watched the early trailers I have to say when I heard it again towards the end of the film I cried and cried.

“For no matter where you are in years to come, they will continue to whisper your name.”