"Elizabeth at 90 - A Family Tribute" (2016) - BBC Documentary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have seen a YouTube clip of Harry's christening with that chasing going on. I was hoping to hear the comments from the other family members. Hopefully, I'll find it. Smile.

Loved this program, esp. the way they did it, by watching old "home-movies" and commenting on them

Also, some things i hadn't really considered before:
- P.Anne mentioning why the Queen wasn't overly joyeus at her milestone of becoming the longest reigning monarch (of Britain): that it happened because her father had died so young
- DoK being very moved by the footage of the funeral of K.George VI and how he was one of the royal dukes (at 16) walking next to his uncle the Duke of Windsor who he had never really met before

But really, i loved all of it :flowers:

I have seen a YouTube clip of Harry's christening with that chasing going on. I was hoping to hear the comments from the other family members. Hopefully, I'll find it. Smile.

Yeah, William and Zara was running around William and Harry's great grandmother, Lady Ruth Fermoy. Diana's grandmother and Woman of the Bedchamber to The Queen Mother.

Quite a few cute moments in those home movies, and fascinating ones too - the ebullient Bowes Lyon family, the brief glimpse of Prince Philip's youngest sister Sophie, whom Philip adored, her son Karl, Charles's first cousin, Anne's insights into her mother's character, her humour over Nanny Lightbody and the glimpse of the very tall and disgraced Miss Crawford!

I'm two minutes in and i already absolutely adore this. Charles is so warming.
Far Far beyond the sky interview. This is so honest.

It's up on YouTube now. I enjoyed watching the program. To see and hear from The Queen on watching her home movies was beyond amazing. Her wonderful and motherly interaction with Charles is something we don't see on a regular bases. The family watching and commenting on the movies was very moving and funny. In a way, the doc paid tribute to the royals that's no longer with us as well. Nice to see the home movies that include the late King, Queen, Margaret and Diana among others.

Oh, so precious! What a remarkable Lady she is!

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

Thank you for posting the video. So enjoyed hearing from other members of the the Queen's family: Margaret Rhodes, Lady Sarah, the DoK and Princess Alexandra as they watched the family films

That video was beyond charming....what a great view of how they interact with each other. Anne is such a sharp personality...I would imagine she is much like Phillip.

LaRae

What a wonderful tribute. I found myself missing my own grandmother.

Princess Anne's comment when seeing pictures of herself and the PoW buried in sand, stating you couldn't get away with that today, had my laughing. I wish we could see and hear more from her, she is witty.

:wub::wub::wub:

Fangirling Queen Margrethe.
Girl Crushing on Princess Alexandra.
I found the Duke of Kent's commentary quite compelling.
Perhaps I should not have been but I was pleasantly shocked at what happened at 23:10
I got verklempt at Margaret Rhodes's comment about the Queen's father being proud of her.

What an absolutely wonderful documentary. The footage was wonderful, and all the commentary from the family was very insightful. In particular, I though Sarah Chatto's comments/reactions were very, very sweet. Anne, as usual, was both funny and sharp (I really chuckled at her comment about "Senior Nanny Lightbody"). William and Harry had me laughing, too. And, of course, it was absolutely wonderful to hear from the Queen herself.

Cris M,
Thanks for posting the video.

I enjoyed all the clips, especially of the Coronation and the childhood movies of the Queen & Princess Margaret and Prince Charles & Princess Anne.

Princess Anne was wonderful and extremely funny.
Interesting her viewpoint of the nanny's treatment.:D
Wish there was more comments from Princess Anne on her childhood rather than W&H commenting.

It would have been fun to see Charles, Anne and the Queen commenting on the same clip, especially of the ones from the 1950s.

Sarah choking up whenever she saw her mother and nearly crying when her mother was spanked was heartwarming.

The joyfulness of the QEQM and the Bowes-Lyon family was a treasure to watch.

Pleasantly surprised by Queen Margrethe.
It was nice hearing from the Duke of Kent.
Charles did a great job as narrator.

William and Harry's segment was poorly filmed. They kept a showing a closeup of Harry's nose or the back of their heads. The film crew did this a few times with Charles when he was watching the film without the Queen.

Overall, it was nice but more narration from Charles would have been better and more off camera comments.

I would have preferred to watch the entire movie clip and then have the comments rather than the back and forth. They should have at least used a voice over rather than interrupt the clip for a comment and then go back to the clip. The film crew usually did the back & forth with W&H's segment so that is one of the reasons I disliked their portion.

That video is well worth seeing. I loved seeing all the family video footage and watching various family members' reactions to seeing it for the first time. You could tell it was very poignant for Sarah Chatto and for the Duke of Kent. I hope they are both given copies.

I loved the videos, and I loved the entire family was included. I liked they didn't focus mainly on Charles' kids. Like having those who were alive during events to talk about them. Like Duke of Kent and his memories of the corination and the funeral, both which he was a part of. Or Charles and his mum watching together. Lady Margaret talking about her grandparents. I am really happy took the time to watch.

Cris M: Thank you so much for posting this for us. I enjoyed it so much. The historical events were fascinating. I appreciated The Duke of Kent's reactions to seeing Churchill again, remembering meeting the Duke of Windsor at the funeral and his comment that Lord Mountbatten was giving orders. I was so touched by how sweet Lady Sarah Chatto is and how touched she was by seeing her mother. The whole presentation was a wonderful record of a family through a few generations. I also enjoyed hearing from Queen Margrethe whom I admire greatly. A really special presentation!

Roslyn: I'm with you. I hope that copies are given to the Duke of Kent and Lady Sarah Chatto. I would imagine most of the family will want a copy.

I kind of wish, as much as I liked it, that instead of Will and Harry, they had Edward and Andrew. Would have been great to have all the queen's kids commenting on the old videos. Or if including grandkids, include more. Like have Zara sharing about the video where she and Will are at the baptism.

I kind of wish, as much as I liked it, that instead of Will and Harry, they had Edward and Andrew. Would have been great to have all the queen's kids commenting on the old videos. Or if including grandkids, include more. Like have Zara sharing about the video where she and Will are at the baptism.

Yes. We see so much of William and Harry, it would be nice to have seen something from the other grandchildren and from Edward and Andrew. I'd love to have heard what they had to say about that wheelbarrow scene where they are covered in leaves. Were they both in it or just Edward? I can't remember, but it was cute. But I wouldn't not want to see what we did see - I love hearing Harry's views about things - I'd just have liked more of the rest of the family.

Most of the home movies were from early in the Queen's reign and earlier. There where only brief bits that showed Andrew and Edward. Charles probably had a hand in picking the commenters - Sarah and Alexandra are very close to him. They each are godmother to Harry and William respectively. The Duke of Kent was good for the coronation since unlike Anne and Charles he is going to have real memories of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

:previous: True, but it's about HM's 90 years, and she has four children. I would have liked to hear from the younger two as there was footage of them. I'm sure there's more in the vault that HM could have dredged up, too. Obviously a decision had to be made to limit the length of the program, but I think it's a bit sad that we didn't see all her children commenting. I would have liked another half hour of the show.

Last edited:
Most of the home movies were from early in the Queen's reign and earlier. There where only brief bits that showed Andrew and Edward. Charles probably had a hand in picking the commenters - Sarah and Alexandra are very close to him. They each are godmother to Harry and William respectively. The Duke of Kent was good for the coronation since unlike Anne and Charles he is going to have real memories of it.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Yes, the home videos were old. All the more reason to feature her sons, and not Harry and William who appeared mainly in the baptism video and one or two others. I am sure there are videos of the younger boys laying around that could have been included, or they simply could have commented. It seems they for once made an attempt to focus on the family as a whole and not simply on the heir and his kids, and still fell so short.

:previous: I agree. A missed opportunity to see more interaction with the wider family. I think the show was far too short.

The Queen is the lynchpin that connects not only her four children and their families, but also the Gloucesters and Kents, as well as all the Scottish cousins. This was the time to do a much longer show about those linked individuals, and I think it was a missed opportunity to create something very important for future generations to watch and enjoy, while this living link to 90 years of history remains with us.

It was nice to see the royal walking down memory lane in the documentary. We really don't hear Princess Alexandra's voice much. She's such a beautiful and elegant lady. Although I had no idea she had Barry White's voice. :ohmy:

I really enjoyed the documentary and Lady Sarah Chatto looked emotional watching her late mother ,the commentary from the Prince of Wales,his sons,Princess Royal,Margaret Rhodes,The Duke of Kent,Princess Alexandra and the Queen of Denmark made it a very memorable family insight.

I hope its released on dvd.

That is really a great documentary. Pity that they showed Princess Alexandra so little.

Its the first time I heard Princess Alexandra speak and her accent is different to the rest of the family.

Of course she has been ill and perhaps her voice was a bit hoarse, making it sound odd.

Back
Top Bottom