Crown Princess Mary, Current Events 10: September 2010 - August 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mary svømmede Christiansborg rundt - dr.dk/Nyheder/Kultur
Mary has today been swimming in the canals around the Parliament in Copenhagen. A distance of 2.000 meters.
She started around 11.00 and took about 35 minutes.
This was an excersize intiatiative called Christiansborg Rundt - Around Christiansborg Slot, (the seat of the Parliament). Few recogniced Mary among the swimmers who took part.

Our newsdiggers can find more at sn.dk.

Gotta go, we are expecting guests.

Last edited:
Well done, Mary :notworthy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool! I think I remember Mary saying she'd like to take part in this event, when she first visited it a few years ago.

Mary was in the first group of altogether 993 participants.

Next to her swam a former top-swimmer, Mette Jacobsen, who is labelled Mary's swimming-partner, suggesting that she and Mary practise together.

Frederik of course routinely swam more than two kilometres in the Frogman Corps, often in four man teams dragging a container with weapons and equipment with them. - Before hitting the shore and starting the mission in earnest.
I guess if he wasn't sailing right now, he might very well have taken part as well.

A few details more on Mary's swim.
BT has been talking to Mette Jacobsen who has been coaching Mary.

Ingen genkendte Mary i kanalerne - Royale | www.bt.dk

Pic: http://www.bt.dk/sites/default/file...40-christiansborg-rundt-2012-kanalsvmning.jpg

Apparantly few if any noticed Mary at all during the swim yesterday.
Mette Jacobsen: "It was really mostly me who was recogniced I think. But as we also talked about (with the reporter presumably), you are sort of used to seeing me in that outfit, while you are perhaps to so used to seeing the Crown Princess walking around in a wetsuit, bathing cap and goggles.
It has surprised me that we have been able to go anywhere without being recogniced. When we trained at Furesøen (large lake north of Copenhagen), there were really no one who noticed us. But of course I don't know how many who have seen us. But it wasn't anything that caused a commotion or made people line up with mobilephones and take pictures".

Apart from the lake, they also trained at sea in Oresound, between Denmark and Sweden. (*)

(*) No, I don't think they swam all the way to Sweden, eventhough the distance at Kronborg is only six kilometres. It happens however that elks defect from Sweden and swim across too seek freedom in Denmark.

Great job, Mary! That's really impressive and Mette Jacobsen is an excellent swimmer to have by your side. 35 minutes is not a bad time at all.

Thanks for the extra info Muhler!

It's great that people can apparently swim safely in natural waters in DK. Here in Belgium the water's often too polluted! :eek:

BTW I'd love to see an elk swim across :)

Muhler, as always thank you for the translation :flowers:. Good on Mary for taking part in something like that.

Thanks for the extra info Muhler!

It's great that people can apparently swim safely in natural waters in DK. Here in Belgium the water's often too polluted! :eek:

BTW I'd love to see an elk swim across :)

You are welcome, Hannelore & Daria :)

Yes, Copenhagen is justifiably proud of the clean water in the harbour, which is now safe to bathe in. Indeed the harbour has evolved into a very popular resort for Copenhageners plus that you avoid the surf and creeping cold of the open beaches.

Elks try from time to time to swim across to DK, alas, if they don't drown, they usually die from exhaustion shortly after reaching the shore. Often in combination with stress when they find out that there are even more humans and cars and noise on the Danish side, than on the Swedish side they left.
Those very very few that survive end up being shot or captured. Because while red deers thrive very well, northern Zealand is no place for an elk weighing at least a quarter of a ton.
Not all tales end well.....:sad:

Thank you for posting that, Muhler :flowers:

I wonder where they trained in Øresund, I can't recollect us having specifically good professionally swimming water on Amager, so I guess it was a bit further up by Øresund they swam.

You are welcome, Archduchess :)

BT brings an interview today with Mary's coach Mette Jacobsen: Svømmelegende trænede Kronprinsesse Mary - Royale | www.bt.dk

She tells us that she took Mary swimming in a lake and in the ocean to prepare for seaweed, the current and what else you encounter outside a swimmingpool: "It's very good to have tried to swim in open water. Because you can get a bit surprised over the things that are in the water, and there is water, where you really can't see very much".

Mette Jacobsen was pretty impressed with Mary: "She swims a really good crawl. I - of course - corrected - her technigue a bit under way, but generally speaking she's a neat swimmer. It was also a good time, 35 minutes, because we had an objective of 40 minutes.
It's nice to be able to do that sort of things in Denmark, without it turning hysterical and that Mary can be allowed to take part in it, without the whole thing being blown up to something huge".

Mary called Mette Jacobsen during the Olympics and told her she wanted to take part in the event but no one should know anything: "She asked me if I would like to practise with her and swim the actual course with her, so that she could feel safe and get through it. I thought that could be a lot of fun".

She also commends M&F for being rolemodels in regards to encouraging people to be physically active.

Last edited:
Is Mary wearing waterproof make up?

I'm surprised she only started training after the olympics. That means there were just a few weeks time. She must train and work out every day then... To have such a good physical condition.

I'm surprised she only started training after the olympics. That means there were just a few weeks time. She must train and work out every day then... To have such a good physical condition.

Billedbladet mentioned that she swam competitively when she was younger and also, both Mary and Frederik love sports and are both in very good shapes, I can imagine that Mary swims every now and again too.

You are welcome, Archduchess :)

BT brings an interview today with Mary's coach Mette Jacobsen: Svømmelegende trænede Kronprinsesse Mary - Royale | www.bt.dk

She tells us that she took Mary swimming in a lake and in the ocean to prepare for seaweed, the current and what else you encounter outside a swimmingpool: "It's very good to have tried to swim in open water. Because you can get a bit surprised over the things that are in the water, and there is water, where you really can't see very much".

Mette Jacobsen was pretty impressed with Mary: "She swims a really good crawl. I - of course - corrected - her technigue a bit under way, but generally speaking she's a neat swimmer. It was also a good time, 35 minutes, because we had an objective of 40 minutes.
It's nice to be able to do that sort of things in Denmark, without it turning hysterical and that Mary can be allowed to take part in it, without the whole thing being blown up to something huge".

Mary called Mette Jacobsen during the Olympics and told her she wanted to take part in the event but no one should know anything: "She asked me if I would like to practise with her and swim the actual course with her, so that she could feel safe and get through it. I thought that could be a lot of fun".

She also commends M&F for being rolemodels in regards to encouraging people to be physically active.

thank you Muhler:flowers:
I agree, its great that Mary and Frederik encourage people to be physically active by being so themselves...also its great that Mary can participate in these events without the hysteria

It takes some guts to do this, well done, Mary! I cant imagine many CPs doing a similar thing.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2012.
Seje Mary sprang i havnen - Cool Mary jumped in the harbour.
Written by our man in the water Ulrik Ulriksen.

As patron for Danish Swimming Association, Mary took part in the excersize initiative Christiansborg Rundt - Around Christiansborg.
Starting at 11.00 outside the National Library, Mary jumped in the water. Next to her was former elite swimmer, Mette Jacobsen, who has also been training with Mary before this swim.
In water that was seventeen degrees C, Mary managed the 2.000 meter route in 35 minutes and 20 seconds. A little less than the 40 minuttes that was Mary's goal.
After completing the swim Mary said: "It was exciting and fun but at the same time also very hard".

My pleasure, Polyesco :)

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #35, 2012.
Mary regerede i Roskilde - Mary ruled in Roskilde.
Written by the omnipresent Ulrik Ulriksen.

Wearing a skirt from Stine Bøgelund-Jensen, a clutch from Jerome Dreyfuss and a necklace from Georg Jensen Mary arrived at Campus Roskilde to inaugurate the newly build campus, that will service the students at Roskilde University.
There were 170 guests who listened to Mary giving a speech. Musicians were in place and a local kindergarten had been mobilized, so the mood was festive.
Mary started her speech: "Good forenoon everybody. I'd like to congratulate you all with the new Campus Roskilde. A big congratulation for the many opportunities you will get for utillizing yourselves in a unique educational environment. I'm very pleased to take part in inaguration this place".
Altogether five branches of educations will take place in the new building.
Having finished her speech, Mary signed a plaque.
In case you are wondering what it says:
"Den 23 august 2012 inviede H.K.H. Kronprinsesse Mary University College Sjællands Campus Roskilde = On the 23. August 2012 HRH Crown Princess Mary inaugurated University College Zealand's Campus Roskilde".
Then it was time for a tour. At the Physio Thereaphy department Mary had a merry time with a couple of students who demonstrated ultra sound scanning.

Last edited:
Thanks Iceflower, it sounds like it's been a fun evening out with their mom :)

I had thought there would be a lot more pictures, especially when Christian and Isabella was with her, but maybe I just have to wait. Maybe more images become available during the day :flowers:

:previous:

1. Mary, Christian and Isabella
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Sep2012/PPE120903151.jpg

2. Christian with the camel
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Sep2012/PPE120903160.jpg

3. Isabella and the elephant
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Sep2012/PPE120903169.jpg

4. Christian feeding the elephant with his popcorn :D
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Sep2012/PPE120903154.jpg

Gallery: PPE Agency

:)

http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...an-isabella-circo/0-214-85/mary-circo1--a.jpg

http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...an-isabella-circo/0-214-86/mary-circo2--a.jpg

http://www.hola.com/imagenes/realez...stian-isabella-circo/0-214-84/isabella--a.jpg

You can see Mary's lady in waiting carrying her bag in the background. That's the life of luxury people :ROFLMAO:
Well, let's see . . . she's gracefully and Crown Princessly making nice with the their hosts, receiving flowers and . . . oh yes, shaking hands while watching the kids don't get too close to the very large animals and the camera's don't get too close to the kids, so no spare hands which is why the lady in waiting is there in the first place!

I don't know about you but I would only have to watch the kids and hold my bag . . . ;)

Last edited:
Translation of article in Billed Bladet #36, 2012.
Christian og Isabella i manegen – Christian and Isabella in the circus ring.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen. (1)

Crown Princess Mary was the guest of honour when the Kidney Association invited to a special performance at Cirkus Dannebrog, where there were clowns, acrobats, camels, zebras as well as elephants on the poster.
With her the Crown Princess brought her two oldest children, Prince Christian and Princess Isabella.
On arrival the royal three-clover was received by a flock of children as well as leading persons from the Kidney Association, for which Mary is a patron and by the Cirkus Dannebrog family, Enoch. (2)
For Christian and Isabella it was a particularly nice welcome, they got neatly wrapped presents by a couple of similar aged in the welcoming committee. (3)
Hardly had the audience found their places around the circus ring before the royal children got a ride on a pair of circus-camels, who with Christian and Isabella on the back nailed it to the floor and whooshed around for couple of minutes. (4) Crown Princess Mary was one big smile while her two oldest rode round the ring and caused cheer from the first blow of the whistle. Christian and Isabella were in fact impressively good at holding on to the humps and (they) didn’t look like wanting to get off when the ride was over. But the show had to start and it was certainly also a big experience and really something for Mary and the children, who enjoyed the entertainment, while they ate popcorn and drank lemonade.
In the intermission between first and second part of the show, there was also popcorn on the menu, but this time not only for Christian and Isabella. Mary and the children were led outside to meet Dannebrog’s grand African elephant, Ramboline (5) that stood and waited to receive them for an audience.
- “Now I’ll walk up to the elephant”, said Christian, who couldn’t wait to grab Ramboline’s trunk. (6) He went on ahead with firm steps. The little circus-prince therefore got to the large animal as the first and immediately offered his hand. The elephant responded with a firm and kind shake of the trunk and that sort of broke the ice.
Shortly after Prince Christian was busy feeding his new and very big friend popcorns. Isabella too was on the feeding-team, but she wasn’t quite pleased with the behaviour of the elephant during the precourse.
- “Phew, it squirts”, said Isabella when Ramboline with its trunk had blown some of her popcorns out of the paper cone and at the same time delivered an extra moist greeting on Bella’s little hands. (7) That may be the reason why Mary afterwards admonishing her daughter, who in the middle of the elephant-dinner also wanted to try and taste a few popcorns.
- “Don’t eat that”, were the sensible words from the Crown Princess while more and more gathered in line behind the royals, to help with the feeding.
- “Bella and Christian now you must make room for the other children”, were the words from Mary, and then her polite children tossed the last popcorns in the mouth of the elephant, whereupon they made room for the next team of feeders.
The royal circus-guests then strolled back to the tent in order to take their places at the circus ring and enjoy the second half of the special performance of the Dannebrog and the Kidney Association. But before the whistle blew for the start of second half, Christian and Isabella got a very private and secret ride on the back of an elephant. Behind closed canvas the royal children rode a couple of lapses around the circus ring on their thick-skinned friend.
After the ride on the elephant Christian, Isabella and Mary leaned back and enjoyed the second part of the show. Christian with a grand flashing light sabre in all the colours of the rainbow and Isabella with a little flashing circus-hat on her head. Light sabre and flashing headband-hat were a couple of gifts Mary’s children got during the intermission.
Around 21.00 Cirkus Dannebrog closed down and turned out the light after a grand evening in the tent at Fish Market (Fisketorvet) in Copenhagen and all circus-fans went home happy.

- What strikes me, looking at all the pictures, is how comfortable and at ease, Christian in particular but also Isabella, are in the public glare.

(1) Whose style can be quite flowery and therefore a challenge to translate.

(2) Cirkus Dannebrog has been a family run business for generations.

(3) Presumably toys as the wrapping is from a toy store.

(4) A caption says that Christian said: “Hi”, when he entered the circus ring on the camel. And in one picture Isabella is smiling decidedly proud and delighted.

(5) Female version of the name Rambo.

(6) A caption says that Bella was more hesitant.

(7) I hope the pictures in the article will be online soon. There are two absolutely hilarious pics of Bella with the elephant. First with a nosecurlingly “Yuck!”-expression on her face. Then a wide-eyed “Wah!!”-expression.

Last edited:
So judging from your quotes I gather Mary calls her daughter "Bella" in everyday life, instead of the full "Isabella".

:flowers:thank you Muhler for the translation (all of them really).

It looks like Christian and Isabella both had fun at the circus, and i agree that they both seem ok with the press right now

So judging from your quotes I gather Mary calls her daughter "Bella" in everyday life, instead of the full "Isabella".
i think so, i remenber that Christian also calls Isabella 'Bella', we heard him say that when it was the winter holiday photosession in the snow early this year.
i wonder if Mary will call Josephine of 'Josie'...
maybe its only the girls who get shortnames, i doubt Christian and Vincent will have that.

i think so, i remenber that Christian also calls Isabella 'Bella', we heard him say that when it was the winter holiday photosession in the snow early this year.
i wonder if Mary will call Josephine of 'Josie'...
maybe its only the girls who get shortnames, i doubt Christian and Vincent will have that.

Yes, it's not the first time Isabella has been referred to as Bella, by the DRF.

I think Josephine will be called Josie by Mary's family, not so sure about her Danish relatives and friends.
The same thing for Vincent, Vince or something like that by Mary's family but I doubt the Danish side will call him that.
Christian, well, short for Christian in Danish could be Chrisser, if called anything at all.

And you are welcome, ladies. :)

Thank you for the article Muhler :flowers:

That is in general the most common nickname for Isabella here in Denmark (my baby sister is named Isabella and she's also been Bella since day one).

I think Josephine will be called Josie by Mary's family, not so sure about her Danish relatives and friends.

Jose is a possibility, I know a surprisingly big amount of Josephine's (and Josefine's) who's all been called Jose (pronounced like 'Josse' in Danish, not sure how you would pronounce it in English).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom