Crown Prince Frederik, Current Events Part 4: May 2013 - November 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
indeed it tuns out that at Mont Tremblant, in la belle province this past weekend, the North American version of the Danish (European?) Ironman was also run, cycled, swum. An Australian finished first, but clearly confusion reigns downunder:lol::cheers::cheers: Well done, Crown Prince Frederik!

Who knows? perhaps Frederik will do an ironman in Canada some time? He will have to do it before he become a king, by then he will have little time to train so intensely.

not more tired than he still could takes good care of his supporting wife:wub:
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Aug2013/PPE130818129.jpg

Or she is supporting him...litterally! Judging from Frederik's look it seems more likely that he was ready to unscrew his legs and mail them home.

A 27 pic gallery from BT of Frederik during the ironman, submitted by the readers. Se læsernes billeder: Her smiler Frederik til Maria på ruten | www.bt.dk

Notice the PET guy on bicylcle following Frederik during the marathon. He's on foot in pic #25.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or she is supporting him...litterally! Judging from Frederik's look it seems more likely that he was ready to unscrew his legs and mail them home.
That's how it looks to me as well. Frederik seemed to need the good care of his supporting wife to make it home.

That's how it looks to me as well. Frederik seemed to need the good care of his supporting wife to make it home.

I agree, in the interview he looks exhausted yet proud.

Not that I didn't have respect for Frederik before, but my level of respect for him has gone up several notches. As a runner I know how difficult a marathon is, much less a full Ironman. WOW! Months upon months upon months of training. And he looked to be in excellent running form at the end, which is amazing. Way to go Frederik! You ROCK in my book!
And I'm sure that he would have liked nothing better than to unscrew is legs and hand them to anyone. The next day probably is worse I'm sure. Lots of pain reducers and vitamin water for sure.

Little Josephine with Mary along the route

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-a-EVRWlPcAE/UhENuW4jZ6I/AAAAAAAAJm0/QoPAquzGsrM/s640/c.JPG

Love this picture of Frederik on the running route saying hi to his family

http://kongehuset.dk/materialemappe/gallerier/2013/juli-august/kmd-ironman-copenhagen-2013/kmd-ironman-copenhagen-2013-11.img

A 27 pic gallery from BT of Frederik during the ironman, submitted by the readers. Se læsernes billeder: Her smiler Frederik til Maria på ruten | www.bt.dk

thanks.

It must have been a little bit harder knowing that a lot people were watching and some waiting for him to fail or not finish. or a great motivation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations and well done to the Crown Prince! He must have been training for quite some time.

Really amazing ... congrats to Frederik.

I so enjoyed the pictures and write-ups. Thank you everyone. :flowers:

Thanks for all the pics and videos etc Muhler and everyone else! I imagine Frederik will have had a quiet day at home today!

Thanks for all the pics and videos etc Muhler and everyone else! I imagine Frederik will have had a quiet day at home today!

You are welcome. :)

No, Frederik was at work for at least part of the day. Doing a lot of standing up.
Today Frederik is Regent until he leaves for USA, also today I believe.

However, this forenoon there was a public audience and that means Frederik had to stand up and recieve quite a number of people for a couple of hours or so.
One lady on the news at 19.00 explained that he seemed to be tripping a little. She congratulated him BTW on the Ironman.

PR wise this event has been a big success for Frederik. Even the tabloid Ekstra Bladet, that usually use every opportunity possible to critisise the DRF, praise Frederik. And as mentioned before, Frederik got several minutes on prime time news today. (I'll leave it to others to summarize what was said).

You are welcome. :)

No, Frederik was at work for at least part of the day. Doing a lot of standing up.
Today Frederik is Regent until he leaves for USA, also today I believe.

However, this forenoon there was a public audience and that means Frederik had to stand up and recieve quite a number of people for a couple of hours or so.
One lady on the news at 19.00 explained that he seemed to be tripping a little. She congratulated him BTW on the Ironman.

PR wise this event has been a big success for Frederik. Even the tabloid Ekstra Bladet, that usually use every opportunity possible to critisise the DRF, praise Frederik. And as mentioned before, Frederik got several minutes on prime time news today. (I'll leave it to others to summarize what was said).

Im surprised he got the energy to get up in the morning. I would be zoned out, lol.

So Joachim is regent starting today as well. does that mean, that the moment Frederik is in the air, Joachim becomes regent?

Last edited:
Im surprised he got the energy to get up in the morning. I would be zoned out, lol.

So Joachim is regent starting today as well. does that mean, that the moment Frederik is in the air, Joachim becomes regent?

Well, formally speaking a document is written stating that Joachim will act as Rigsforstander. When Joachim has signed that document, Frederik is relieved. - And probably going to the airport.
When Frederik returns he will sign a document stating that he will be Regent and in that moment Joachim is relieved.

BTW, Benedikte will act as Rigsforstander for one day in next week IIRC, relieving Joachim.

You would be forgiven for thinking that was an awful lot of signing documents. Yes, but right now, with QMII in France and Frederik probably in the air somewhere, Joachim is the commander in chief and formally in charge of defending the country - besides the little detail of also ruling the country. So there is a need to be absolutely certain about who is what and when.

Should Frederik be abducted by a UFO tonight and QMII at the same time decides to stay in France to pursue her interest in breeding dachshunds and Joachim haven't signed any document of him being Rigsforstander, the Parliament cannot pass any laws and actions by the government and the civil service apparatus are formally speaking invalid or rather unverified, until the Parliament has convened and appointed a Rigsforstander. - I know, I know, but I just love these nerdy details. :p

not more tired than he still could takes good care of his supporting wife:wub:
http://www.ppe-agency.com/500px/Aug2013/PPE130818129.jpg

And to me.. Frederik looks pretty exhausted in that picture (fully understandable) I guess he was extra happy to have Mary at his side at that moment. Cute picture. Frederik was The King yesterday, but behind every successful man is a loving and caring woman, right ;)

Thanks polyesco, that is a nice pictures. It must have meant a lot to him that his wife and children and friends not least supported him the entire day. And all the Danes as well.

Frederik was very popular before, but I will almost guarantee that his popularity has reached even higher heights now. And Mary's as well. Our Crown Prince participates in a Ironman on an equal footing with everyone else and his wife and children is there all the day in the streets to support their husband/father standing in a crowd among all other supportive families. It is something Danes LOVE. A Crown Prince Family down to earth and among the people in the streets.

Video from TV2 with Christian: http://go.tv2.dk/underholdning/2013...-prins-christian-jublede-løs-da-far-kom-i-mål

Last edited:
Thank you for the photos, videos and information everyone! Well done to Frederik for participating in the Ironman, I've heard that it's a tough event to complete. :) One of my close friends is interested in royals as well, and I told her about Frederik taking part in the Ironman. She told me that the Ironman spans over several days, I wonder if Frederik will be taking part in all the days or "just" some of them.

I also like the photos of the family cheering Frederik on. I enjoyed the video of Christian talking to Isabella, that was cute.

Thank you for the photos, videos and information everyone! Well done to Frederik for participating in the Ironman, I've heard that it's a tough event to complete. :) One of my close friends is interested in royals as well, and I told her about Frederik taking part in the Ironman. She told me that the Ironman spans over several days, I wonder if Frederik will be taking part in all the days or "just" some of them.

I also like the photos of the family cheering Frederik on. I enjoyed the video of Christian talking to Isabella, that was cute.
Actually most, if not all, full distance Ironman competitions have strict cut-off times, and must be completed in about 17 hours. Frederick completed the swim, cycling and marathon in a little over 10.

Actually most, if not all, full distance Ironman competitions have strict cut-off times, and must be completed in about 17 hours. Frederick completed the swim, cycling and marathon in a little over 10.

I didn't know that competitors in the Ironman had strict timings, thanks for the extra information princess gertrude. :flowers: I think 10 hours (or a little bit over) is a very good achievement, congratulations to Frederik.

Last edited:
I didn't know that, thanks for the extra information princess gertrude. :flowers: I think 10 hours (or a little bit over) is a very good achievement, congratulations to Frederik.
You're welcome. I'm a little bit of a running/fitness freak. And 10 hours is fantastic! I love working out (especially running) but the thought of an Ironman scares me to death. Takes a lot of guts to even attempt one, much less finish.:)

You're welcome. I'm a little bit of a running/fitness freak. And 10 hours is fantastic! I love working out (especially running) but the thought of an Ironman scares me to death. Takes a lot of guts to even attempt one, much less finish.:)

I think that's really good :), I wish I was able to like sport more than I do. I'll probably never participate in the Ironman, I would probably drop out after 3 laps! :D

I was talking about Frederick's achievement w/a family friend and she wanted to know if this was part of him perhaps thinking of making a run at the Rio Olympics. As I said, I haven't a clue, but I'd also wondered about that one too. Reality wise, I doubt it, as I think you need to qualify for your National Team and then take part in the World Cup circuit and we all know Frederick's more than a tad busy for that. OTOH...Anything is possible too.

Anyone out there who knows more about this?

Last edited:
Congratulations to Frederik in finishing this gruelling race at his age. Lets not forget he is over 40 and most serious competitors are much younger at least here anyway. Freds acheivement made the news here as Ironman competitions are very popular here. Don't doubt some reporter got the continent wrong. By the standard of some of our journos here it is a wonder they can find there way home.

I was talking about Frederick's achievement w/a family friend and she wanted to know if this was part of him perhaps thinking of making a run at the Rio Olympics. As I said, I haven't a clue, but I'd also wondered about that one too. Reality wise, I doubt it, as I think you need to qualify for your National Team and then take part in the World Cup circuit and we all know Frederick's more than a tad busy for that. OTOH...Anything is possible too.

Anyone out there who knows more about this?

IRONMAN is not an olympic discipline (Triathlon is), they have their own world championship on Big Island, Hawaii. For an amateur Freds time is not bad but quite some time away to qualify him for Hawaii (at least 90 min too slow in his age group), the best competitors (professionals) finish under 8 hours.

IRONMAN is not an olympic discipline (Triathlon is), they have their own world championship on Big Island, Hawaii. For an amateur Freds time is not bad but quite some time away to qualify him for Hawaii (at least 90 min too slow in his age group), the best competitors (professionals) finish under 8 hours.
I was just looking at the same info yesterday. And you are right on, Fred's time is good, but not good enough to qualify. His marathon time was decent, even after the other two events. There are quite a few people I know that compete in marathons and triathlons/ironmans just to say that they did it. They aren't concerned about time, just the fact they did it. Maybe Fred just wanted to test his physical capabilities. A source of pride and accomplishment. Not everyone can say they completed an ironman competition, regardless of time.;)

it takes some guts to do it, because you can easily fail during the race. training is hard and takes a lot of time & discipline. i guess fred did it to prove himself and because he enjoys sports, plus it a great pr. but to plan this only for pr reasons is impossible. his time is decent enough, especially for his age group.

to complete an ironman is quite an achievement, no matter in what time, even though i do not think that the race itself is healthy or good for the body. triathlon is much better and i have to say that when fred did the triathlon, i already assumed that he did it as a prep to the ironman race. of course they didnt confirm beforehand, for security reasons and because fred could have pulled out at the last minute, due to injury.

Last edited:
Summary of article in Billed Bladet #34, 2013.
Verdens sejeste kronprins - The world's most cool crown prince.
Written by our sports reporter Dorthe Quist.

Frederik was to start in the first group at 07.00 and he showed up before 06.00. However when he started Mary and the two oldest were there as well cheering daddy on. No least on the return stretch across the lagune, here they stood at the quay and applauded. Mary prudently wore Frederik's wedding ring on her finger.
While Frederik at the start found time to blow kisses and wave to his family, he was too focused for that when he merged from the water.
Frederik actually belonged in the group for men aged 45-49, but he was allowed to start with the pros, even though he kept back. - Presumably not to get in the way.
At 08.30 Frederik mounted his bike for five and a half hours of cycling. By then Mary and the children crove home to Amalienborg, presumably for a brunch with guests because an increasing number of people showed up thorughout the day.
In fact about the time Frederik was completing his marathon almost 50 guests had shown up. They enjoyed themselves under parasols that had been put up in the garden behind M&F's mansion at Amalienborg.
A part of the marathon route went along Toldbodgade (street) passing alongside the wall into M&F's garden. (The street between Amalienborg and the quay). As Frederik was to pass that stretch four times during the marathon, Mary stood there for a quite a long time that day along with her children and various friends. Josephine was seen sitting comfortably in mother's arms, and she must have recogniced dad because she is seen in the article presenting a huge smile. Vincent also went through the gate from the garden and on to street to have a look. Just some adults running, big deal! And went inside again.
The first time Frederik passed he had plenty of surplus to wave to his family, but during the last pass it only amounted to waving with a couple of fingers.
Mary was loudly cheering him on: "You are so cool". It looks good". "Come on, you can do it".
Towards the end, late in the afternoon up to 50 friends and their children stood outside the garden wall and cheered Frederik on.

They were among others: Birgitte Handwerk,
Caroline Heering,
Ellen Hillingsøe,
Dorte & Ditlev Wedell-Wedellsborg,
Christian Buchwald,
Pernille Juhl-Jørgensen.

Then, finally, the finishing line.
Frederik in particular was cheered on by the onlookers, who also included Mary and the two oldest standing at the finishing line and when Frederik passed, confetti was dropped. But Frederik was wasted and didn't even notice his family.
He went to a tent where he taken care of, before he answered a few questions from the press, then he went out and thanked the onlookers, before attaching himself to his wife and walking to a waiting car, shivering and with wobbly legs.

It is estimated that 200.000 took to the streets to watch the event.

Crown Prince Frederik has among other military education an extensive training period with the danish marine elite squadron . He was one of them for a good period of time. He is used to train hard and to push himself behind normal limits.
Hurray for him that he went through Ironman competition! This competition requires a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom