Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941) and Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Both Prussian and German sovereignties were lost in 1918. Would it have been possible for Wilhelm II to reign only as King of Prussia in 1918 and after?

Wilhelm II opened a new Olympic Stadium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCahDWn0D4

Emperor Wilhelm II founded the Kaiser Wilhelm Society for the Encouragement of Scientific Research. He surprised his Uncle Edward VII by pontificating on the relative merits of petrol, diesel, and potato spirit as propellants for motor cars while staying at Sandringham.

Crown Prince Wilhelm at an equestrian event
Wilhelm speaks to another man / a group of women chat on a grassy... Stock Footage Video | Getty Images

Emperor Wilhelm II became the first person to make a sound recording of a political document, using Thomas Edison's cylinder.

During the First World War, did Empress Augusta Viktoria screen people from seeing Wilhelm II to keep his distractors at bay?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cyril, Kaiser Wilhelm thought he would be able to stay on as King of Prussia after he abdicated as the Emperor. However, Germany, including Prussia, was in a state of tumult in 1918-19, (soviets springing up everywhere) and it was explained to Wilhelm that it would be impossible. Germans had decided to be done with royalty altogether.

I'm sorry, Jolie, I've never read that book you mention. I have looked on the internet about what has been written in regard to it and 'Gone Astray' appears to be a factual account. Jmo though!

Oh I hope it is factual,(well..most of it...)though there are a few things in there I can't picture him writing but who knows! I know the royals wrote a lot and could be quite dramatic in their letters though! I thought it was factual when I bought it, but what made me doubt is the preface says..:
"The manuscript of this volume was brought to the publishers by a person very well known to them.
"It does not purport to be an actual transcription of the Kaiser's Diary , it sufficiently reveals his extraordinary character to render it a valuable psychological study, setting forth , as it does,his ideas and opinions regarding personal, domestic and political matters, from days of his boyhood to the present hour. Whether viewed from the standpoint of a personal document or the result of a life-long study by a marvellously gifted student of character, the volume will undoubtedly prove interesting and enlightening to every reader"
So that is where I got a little confused if it was really all his words or not! I have of course seen excerpts of his letters etc in various books, just would like to see a book devoted to just letters. I didn't realize I have been rather redundant on this topic until I looked at past posts!

Last edited:
Yes, that was going to be the centrepiece for the 1916 Summer Olympics, to be held in Berlin. For obvious reasons that particular Olympics didn't go ahead! Germany was in no condition to hold an Olympics after the war either, so AFAIR Antwerp Belgium got it in 1920. Germany and its allies weren't invited.

Does anyone know what happened to the arena that was shown above being dedicated in 1913? Was it used for sporting events between the Wars until 1935/36 when the Nazis built their Olympic Stadium on the same site?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what happened to the arena that was shown above being dedicated in 1913? Was it used for sporting events between the Wars until 1935/36 when the Nazis built their Olympic Stadium on the same site?

Hi, I'm from Berlin but had no idea... so: Wikipedia... The stadium was known as Deutsches Stadion and was used during the Great War for the wounded, rehab and stuff. After the war some important soccer games happened there, including with "my" team Union. It hosted up to 64.000 visitors. Well, and then, as you already said, it was used by the Nazis as a foundation for their stadium. You can find the german wikipedia article here, the english one is just a stub:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsches_Stadion_(Berlin)

Thank you so much, Victor. It got me wondering. So it was called the Deutsches Stadion and was used for soccer matches in the 1920s and early 1930's until the Nazis got their paws on it. Well, thank heavens it didn't go to waste!

It must have been near-completion by the time war broke out in 1914, and of course everyone expected a very short war so there were still expectations that the 1916 Olympics would be held there. Not to be.

I suppose most of the original stadium was pulled down in 1935 and new buildings put up. Apparently Hitler wasn't a sports fan and was a bit luke warm about the Olympics!

Hi! Well, I think with a capacity of just 64.000 places it was simply to small in Hitler's mind... Please don't forget that Hitler used everything for propaganda - this includes the olympic games of 1936, for which the new stadium, the Olympiastadion, was built.

Princess Viktoria Luise married Prince Ernst August of Hanover in 1913.
Prince Ernst August was shy of being demonstrative in public. He said to Viktoria Luise when they were engaged that he did not like people to be there and stare.

I think a lot of royals then and now were/are wary of being demonstrative in public. Of course people in general then were much less into PDA. It's nice to see when they are affectionate towards each other, though.

That film is very clear. The adjunct to Wilhelm's life, the Empress Dona, is waiting patiently in the background, I see. What's also in evidence is the rather beaky nose and receding chin of Wilhelm's maternal Hanovarian ancestors reproduced in him, though it wasn't really a feature of his mother Vicky's face.

Yes I enjoyed seeing Dona as well, so clear and close! Most of their children got that nose and chin as well. Wilhelm's chin isn't too receding though and it looks like he has a cleft in it? When I see his father Fritz when young and without the beard, I can see Wilhelm. Though I see his mother in him too.
Also, funny to see Wilhelm adjusting his uniform, and I wonder why he turns completely around before sitting in the carriage. That would make me dizzy, and I know with his ear troubles he suffered from dizziness at times.

Last edited:
Lots of letters the future Empress Auguste Victoria received in the years 1883-1889 where found at the Neue Palais in Ptsdam. It are mainly letters she reveived from Family members like Queen Victoria, Empress Augustua, her mother, her sisters etc.

Schatzfund: Briefe von Kaiserin Auguste Victoria entdeckt

Stefan , when will the Palace in Berlin be open to the Public ,

Stefan , when will the Palace in Berlin be open to the Public ,

Apparently it will be ready at the End of 2019. But there will be no Schloßmuseum with restored rooms of the old Castle. There will be permanent exhibtions like the Ethnological museum or the Museum for asian Art among them.

Last edited:
Regarding the palace in Berlin was any thought given to restoring at least part of the interior to its pre-destruction state?

@Harold #185

No, no thought at all! In modern day Germany is the last Emperor still a symbol for militarism - the whole Prussia-Complex is ... The english Wikipedia has a bit about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Palace#The_debate

But first the palace as a congress center and as a little bizarre museum and than, later, perhaps we'll get a Prussia museum...

Yesterday the German public broadcaster ZDF had a docufilm (a film with voice-over and historic images) called Kaisersturz (Emperor's Fall). It was an unexpectedly nice docufilm, Besides the Emperor, the main characters were Empress Auguste Viktoria, Prince Max von Baden (the last Reichskanzler under Wilhelm II) and Friedrich Ebert (the first Reichskanzler after the abdication).

What struck me was that Friedrich Ebert (who would become the first Reichspresident of the Weimar Republik) actually wanted to keep a constitutional monarchy. Of course also Wilhelm II, Auguste Viktoria and Max von Baden wanted to keep the monarchy, but the docufilm showed incompatibilé des humeurs, non-understanding, machinations behind the screens. In the end the monarchy collapsed while it was close to saved.

The Reichskanzler, Prince Max von Baden, would step down for a new Reichskanzler (Friedrich Ebert) and would then become Prince-Regent for the underaged Prince Wilhelm (the son of the Crown Prince). All for the sake of the monarchy. This was over the dead body of the Emperor ("a descendant of Friedrich the Great will not abdicate!") and over the dead body of the Empress (who in the docufilm telephoned Prince Max von Baden and named him a miserable creature, a traitor, a lowlife).

When -afther the (enforced) abdication- the newly appointed Reichskanzler Friedrich Ebert came to Prince Max von Baden (in Hotel Adlon, in Berlin), he urged the Prince to proclaim himself Prince-Regent for the eldest grandson of the ex-Emperor. Prince Max however had collapsed after a nervous breakdown and a defaitisme got hold of him. He refused to do so. Without suitable successors and without an acceptable Regent for the underaged Prince Wilhelm, the monarchy was doomed.

-> Prince Max von Baden was father-in-law to Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark (sister of the Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh).

https://www.zdf.de/doku-wissen/kaisersturz-bilderserie-100.html#gallerySlide=6

Last edited:
That's very interesting Duc. I didn't know Prince Max had a nervous breakdown. Thank you for taking the time to give us the information.
Also I have read many books about why WWI started, And yet I still don't understand why they went to war. I believe more diplomacy could have worked things out.
Such a waste of many lives due to ego. But that was a different time with different values.

That's very interesting Duc. I didn't know Prince Max had a nervous breakdown. Thank you for taking the time to give us the information.
Also I have read many books about why WWI started, And yet I still don't understand why they went to war. I believe more diplomacy could have worked things out.
Such a waste of many lives due to ego. But that was a different time with different values.

The scenario was that Friedrich Ebert (the leader of the SPD, the Labour Party) would become Reichskanzler and Prince Max would become Regent for the underaged Prince Wilhelm.

Then Empress Auguste Viktoria threathened Prince Max (a cousin of the Emperor) to make public that he had homosexual affairs. The Prince then suffered a nervous breakdown, as the whirlwind of events and now this threat of a public defamation took a toll.

The docufilm showed that the Reichskanzler was kept in sleep, in the deciding days of November 1918, meaning that the ship of state was without clear lead, and that while there was a mutiny of the Kriegsmarine in Kiel, while in Bavaria the Wittelsbachs were overthrown and while general strikes and discontent paralyzed the country.

It was a toxic combination. When finally Germany surrendered, the Emperor was in the Netherlands, the military junta (the real power in 1914-1918) was shoved aside, a sort of defaitisme got grip on Prince Max. All what he believed in had crumbled under his eyes. The new Reichskanzler (Friedrich Ebert, Labour) urged his predecessor, Prince Max, to save the monarchy but the Prince had the feeling: "Pffft... All is lost, what is the use?" and refused to act to save the monarchy.

Last edited:
OMG had no idea he was homosexual. He was a favourite of mine. I always thought of him as a stand up guy. Perhaps he thought if Augusta knows then many others do as well.
Thank you for explaining. I always thought he was keen on Prss Marie (Missy future Queen of Romania.)
I vaguely remember Grand Duchess Vladimir thought he might suit her daughter Helena, but she wasn't interested. Perhaps she heard rumours about him.

The funny thing is that Wilhelm II wasn't a descendant of the childless Frederick the Great.
If true this further cements what a pair of fools Wilhelm and Dona were. Even when faced with revolution and a possible way to save the throne for their family the refused to face facts. Pride certainly went before their fall.
Even the equally folish Vittorio Emmanuele realised he had to abdicate in the end for a chance to save the monarchy.
In the end one wonders if it would've succeded in doing so. It didn't work for the Savoys, the Bourbons or the Romanovs. Unfortunately one might say - a Constitutional German monarchy might've spared us all from fascism and communism

Last edited:
The funny thing is that Wilhelm II wasn't a descendant of the childless Frederick the Great.
If true this further cements what a pair of fools Wilhelm and Dona were. Even when faced with revolution and a possible way to save the throne for their family the refused to face facts. Pride certainly went before their fall.
Even the equally folish Vittorio Emmanuele realised he had to abdicate in the end for a chance to save the monarchy.
In the end one wonders if it would've succeded in doing so. It didn't work for the Savoys, the Bourbons or the Romanovs. Unfortunately one might say - a Constitutional German monarchy might've spared us all from fascism and communism

Absolutely true. But to speak for the Emperor: he was kept in a bubble by the Household, the Government and the military. His world was that of Potsdam and he was completely out of touch with how the common German suffered because of this devastating war.

The real power was in hand of the Oberste Heeresleitung in Spa (Belgium). Both the Emperor as well the Government were factually rubberstamps for decisions by this military junta.

In the docufilm a major point was the stubborness of the generals. While both the Emperor as well the Reichskanzler (Prince Max von Baden) were willing to negotiate an offer by US President Wilson, the generals unexpectedly went all-out with a Spring Offensive 1918, which was initially quite succesful. The Germans made major advances on the battlefield, but this came with a heavy toll in casualties, in resources and in material.

In August 1918, the Allies began a counteroffensive with the support of more than 1 million fresh American troops. The Americans finally weighed down the balance in favour of the Allied Forces. This resulted in the Germans retreating or being driven from all of the ground that they had taken in the Spring Offensive.

The Germans, faced with the immense cost for litterally nothing, exploded and turned to the Emperor and the Government, exactly the two entities which in fact had little to do with these disastrous military manoeuvres.

Last edited:
About the Romanovs too...

There was also a docu about the End of the Romanovs, called "Zarensturz". It is still on youtube (but of course only in German)!

But I think, it was terrible! They reported the end of the Romanovs, like it would be reported today - and today's reports are the reason, I stopped watching TV...

So, after "Zarensturz" now "Kaisersturz". It is online, I see at the ZDF Mediathek. I'll give it a try!

Investigations in Prussian archives have learned that Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (picture) actively engaged to save Emperor Wilhelm II and his family. The story was always that Queen and Government were "taken by total surprise" when suddenly the Emperor arrived on the railway station of a small village under Maastricht, on November 10th 1918.

In reality already in Summer 1918 the Queen actively engaged into a peace conference between the Germans and the allied countries. In agreement with the minister of Foreign Affairs, jonkheer Herman van Karnebeek (picture), Queen Wilhelmina offered the Vredespaleis (picture) in The Hague, with the Queen as chair. The US Government under President Wilson was willing to accept the Queen's invitation, on condition that the Germans would retreat from occupied territories and end the U-boot war. The German Government was willing to do these concessions, but the Oberste Heeresleitung (the Generals) wanted to continue the battle to obtain a more favourable position at the negotiations.

Originally Queen Wilhelmina offered Het Loo Palace (picture) as a refuge to the German Emperor. The Government was worried the Allied Powers would be offended by this "too generous show of royal hospitality". Instead Godard graaf van Aldenburg-Bentinck (picture) was willing to host the Emperor at Amerongen Castle (picture).

This was not all: Queen Wilhelmina ordered her Aide-de-Camp-General J.B. van Heutsz (picture) to visit the German military headquarters in Spa from 5 to 9 November 1918. The Dutch Government declared it was "a long on beforehand agreed working visit" but this seems unlikely in the hectic last days of the war, at the front.

Besides this the Queen played a role in the abdication of the Emperor. Officially Wilhelm II was guest of the Queen as "a private person". That was a hard to maintain position, as long as he officially was Emperor. Wilhelm II refused to abdicate. Then the Queen decided to bring Empress Auguste Viktoria (picture) -who was still in Berlin- to the Netherlands. A special train brought the Empress, whom arrived on November 28th 1918 with an Act of Abdication in her luggage. The Emperor finally signed and the Act was delivered in Berlin, the next day.

Reason for the Queen to act so pro-actively: her utter shock to learn about the fatal fate of the Romanovs (she herself was a granddaughter of Anna Pavlovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia). She wanted to prevent the same to happen to the German imperial family, to which she was related as well.

Source: https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ac...ii-wel-degelijk-zelf-naar-nederland~b9b529dc/

In English: https://www.uu.nl/en/news/queen-of-peace-wilhelmina-came-to-the-rescue-of-kaiser-wilhelm-ii

Investigations in Prussian archives have learned that Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands (picture) actively engaged to save Emperor Wilhelm II and his family. The story was always that Queen and Government were "taken by total surprise" when suddenly the Emperor arrived on the railway station of a small village under Maastricht, on November 10th 1918.

In reality already in Summer 1918 the Queen actively engaged into a peace conference between the Germans and the allied countries. In agreement with the minister of Foreign Affairs, jonkheer Herman van Karnebeek (picture), Queen Wilhelmina offered the Vredespaleis (picture) in The Hague, with the Queen as chair. The US Government under President Wilson was willing to accept the Queen's invitation, on condition that the Germans would retreat from occupied territories and end the U-boot war. The German Government was willing to do these concessions, but the Oberste Heeresleitung (the Generals) wanted to continue the battle to obtain a more favourable position at the negotiations.

Originally Queen Wilhelmina offered Het Loo Palace (picture) as a refuge to the German Emperor. The Government was worried the Allied Powers would be offended by this "too generous show of royal hospitality". Instead Godard graaf van Aldenburg-Bentinck (picture) was willing to host the Emperor at Amerongen Castle (picture).

This was not all: Queen Wilhelmina ordered her Aide-de-Camp-General J.B. van Heutsz (picture) to visit the German military headquarters in Spa from 5 to 9 November 1918. The Dutch Government declared it was "a long on beforehand agreed working visit" but this seems unlikely in the hectic last days of the war, at the front.

Besides this the Queen played a role in the abdication of the Emperor. Officially Wilhelm II was guest of the Queen as "a private person". That was a hard to maintain position, as long as he officially was Emperor. Wilhelm II refused to abdicate. Then the Queen decided to bring Empress Auguste Viktoria (picture) -who was still in Berlin- to the Netherlands. A special train brought the Empress, whom arrived on November 28th 1918 with an Act of Abdication in her luggage. The Emperor finally signed and the Act was delivered in Berlin, the next day.

Reason for the Queen to act so pro-actively: her utter shock to learn about the fatal fate of the Romanovs (she herself was a granddaughter of Anna Paulovna Romanova, Grand-Princess of Russia). She wanted to prevent the same to happen to the German imperial family, to which she was related as well.

Source: https://www.volkskrant.nl/nieuws-ac...ii-wel-degelijk-zelf-naar-nederland~b9b529dc/

Very interesting! This presents an answer for why the German emperor had little problem being taken in by a foreign government, considering all of the failed efforts to send his Russian cousins into exile.

Very interesting news indeed. And very different from the narrative as we knew it thus far, including from Wilhelmina's own memoires.

The Dutch public channel made a 30 min. documentary about it, in which they also visit Burg Hohenzollern with Prince Georg Friedrich, who talks about his characteristic Prussian nose:

https://www.npostart.nl/andere-tijden/10-11-2018/VPWON_1283698

The episode is called 'A Royal Lie'.

It is surprising that the late Prof. Fasseur did not find more details about the matter, as Prof. de Graaf mainly used the archives of the Hohenzollern's in Huis Doorn which would have been open to him as well. It was thought that Fasseur was allowed access to the Royal Archives because Beatrix could rely on him being discreet about sensitive issues. His book about the break down of Juliana and Bernhards marriage was heavily criticized. One wonders if he chose not to investigate this particular episode further on purpose. Not that the issue would have been sensitive or particulary damaging for the RF in the late 1990s when his biographies were published.

Although some conclusions seem quickly made - all monarchs were related to 'Onkel Willy', many more closely than Wilhelmina, the case she makes is rather persuiasive. The fondness for the emperor, which she discovered in Wilhelmina, seems based on a visit to Berlin when Wilhelmina was 10 y/o. De Graaf claims that Wilhelm was a sort of paternal figure to the young queen, which is new to me as well (not that he saw himself as a mentor but that Queen Emma actively searched for it).

Still, if he was such a strong father figure it is even more surprising that Wilhelmina did not marry one of the Hohenzollern princes (grandsons of Prince Albrecht and Pss Marianne of The Netherlands IIRC). De Graaf says that Wilhelmina never met the Emperor after the war because of reasons of state, but that she still had warm feelings for him. It is completely different from what has been said up to now, which was that she behaved coldly towards Wilhelm. If there truly was so much coldness it would have been odd that she allowed her mother, husband daughter and son-in-law to pay visits to Doorn.

Wilhelmina's willingness to host a Peace conference in The Hague is surprising for reasons stated in posts above. And perhaps ironic considering how much she fumed against the two peace conferences and the opening of the peace palace (& Tsar Nicholas II who proposed it all) as she found it a humiliation for the country. In 1919 German officials wanted to publish information about the failed peace conference, which was prevented by minister van Karnebeek and the Queen.

A pro-German stance of Queen Wilhelmina in WWI is also new though De Graaf softens the language in the tv program and talks about the 'two hearts' of Queen Wilhelmina -one for neutrality and one for family/friends- that are in conflict in the summer of 1918.

De Graaf gives a lot of convincing details that the authorities knew what was going to happen, for example how the village doctor of Amerongen was notified in advance of Wilhelm's flight, a file of the French secret service officer in The Hague talking about '40 suitcases' with which Wilhelm was supposed to travel to The Netherlands, the visits of Dutch and German diplomats to Amerongen in the summer etc etc. She also puts the visit of general Van Heutz -a great favorite of Wilhelmina- to the German headquarters in November 1918 in a more probable light. The official explanation that he was there to observe manouevers was never likely & was widely doubted by historians.

De Graaf claims that while revolutions raged in Europe, the Dutch queen still had actual power which she used not for the good of the country but for personal reasons. I am not sure if that is fair. Even the British later came around and thought it best if the emperor stayed in exile in The Netherlands. A trial of a (former)monarch would have encouraged revolutionary feelings in Britain it was thought, when it was clear that monarchs are ordinary people too. Up to now it was also maintained that a big role of Wilhelm's welcome was that the Netherlands was a neutral country and to prove that neutrality it could not pick sides. Welcoming a conquered neighbor would not be in conflict of neutrality but an expression of it.

Although it is not surprising that the court & government preferred to keep the peace conference and the Dutch involvement in Wilhelms flight to the Netherlands quiet at the time & esp. after WWII, it is surprising that it took this long to be challenged & revealed. Queen Wilhelmina's word was believed 'on her blue eyes' -as De Graaf says. It is clear that she must have known about the Emperor's arrival but as Hans Goedkoop says in the documentary: it is not proven that she took the initiative for it, a 'smoking gun' is missing from the large pile of sources that have been discovered.

Last edited:
I think a Hohenzollern prince certainly would have been a great match, after all there have been many alliances with the Hohenzollerns in the Orange-Nassau genealogy.

But these alliances were with the Hohenzollerns being Markgrafen and Kurfürsten von Brandenburg and later Könige von Preussen. In Wilhelmina's younger years, until 1918, the neighbour no longer were the many principalities but the immense Deutsches Reich and I can understand the undesirability of seeing the House of Orange-Nassau, on the verge of extinctuon in the male lineage, being "incorporated" by the Hohenzollerns (the Kaiser himself was Prince of Orange and proud on his Orange-Nassau ancestry).

Let us assume it is 1900, Queen Wilhelmina is 20 years old and looking for a consort. And I am Wilhelm II von Hohenzollern, König von Preußen, Deutscher Kaiser, Prinz von Oranien and I want to couple a Hohenzollern with my dearest cousine Wilhelmina von Oranien-Nassau....

First I look to my own sons:

Kronprinz Wilhelm (18)
The Dutch Government would surely object the Queen marrying the future Kaiser.
At the age of 23 Kronprinz Wilhelm married Cecilie Herzogin zu Mecklenburg (by coincidence the niece of Wilhelmina's choice as consort).

Prinz Eitel Friedrich (17)
At the age of 23 Prinz Eitel Friedrich married Sophie Charlotte Herzogin von Oldenburg.

Prinz Adalbert (16)
At the age of 30 Prinz Adalbert married Adelheid Prinzessin von Sachsen-Meiningen.

Prinz August Wilhelm (13)
He was too young to marry Wilhelmina. At the age of 21 Prinz August Wilhelm married Alexandra Viktoria Prinzessin zu Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.

Prinz Oskar (12)
He was too young to marry Wilhelmina. At the age of 26 Prinz Oskar married Ina Maria Gräfin von Bassewitz.

Prinz Joachim (10)
He was too young to marry Wilhelmina. At the age of 26 Prinz Joachim married Marie Auguste Prinzessin von Anhalt.

When my sons can not marry Queen Wilhelmina. Maybe my nephews can? The sons of my only brother Prinz Heinrich:

Prinz Waldemar (11)
He was too young to marry Queen Wilhelmina. At the age of 30 Prinz Waldemar married Calixta Agnes Prinzessin zur Lippe.

Prinz Sigismund (4)
He was too young to marry Queen Wilhelmina. At the age of 23 Prinz Sigismund married Charlotte Agnes Prinzessin von Sachsen-Altenburg.

After this the only marriage-able Princes were the grandsons of Princess Marianne of the Netherlands, Queen Wilhelmina's great-aunt:

Prinz Friedrich Heinrich (26)
He would never marry.

Prinz Joachim Albrecht (24)
He made two undynastical marriages when he was way in his forties.

Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm (20)
He had the same age as Queen Wilhelmina. At the age of 30 Prinz Friedrich Wilhelm would marry Agathe Prinzessin von Ratibor und Corvey, Prinzessin von Hohenlohe-Schillingsfürst.

Very interesting news indeed. And very different from the narrative as we knew it thus far, including from Wilhelmina's own memoires.

The Dutch public channel made a 30 min. documentary about it, in which they also visit Burg Hohenzollern with Prince Georg Friedrich, who talks about his characteristic Prussian nose:

https://www.npostart.nl/andere-tijden/10-11-2018/VPWON_1283698

The episode is called 'A Royal Lie'.

It is surprising that the late Prof. Fasseur did not find more details about the matter, as Prof. de Graaf mainly used only the archives of the Hohenzollern's in Huis Doorn which would have been open to him as well. It was thought that Fasseur was allowed access to the Royal Archives because Beatrix could rely on him being discreet about sensitive issues. His book about the break down of Juliana and Bernhards marriage was heavily criticized. One wonders if he chose not to investigate this particular episode further on purpose. Not that the issue would have been sensitive or particulary damaging for the RF in the late 1990s when his biographies were published.

Although some conclusions seem quickly made - all monarchs were related to 'Onkel Willy', many more closely than Wilhelmina, the case she makes is rather persuiasive. The fondness for the emperor, which she discovered in Wilhelmina, seems based on a visit to Berlin when Wilhelmina was 10 y/o. De Graaf claims that Wilhelm was a sort of paternal figure to the young queen, which is new to me as well (not that he saw himself as a mentor but that Queen Emma actively searched for it).

Still, if he was such a strong father figure it is even more surprising that Wilhelmina did not marry one of the Hohenzollern princes (grandsons of Prince Albrecht and Pss Marianne of The Netherlands IIRC). De Graaf says that Wilhelmina never met the Emperor after the war because of reasons of state, but that she still had warm feelings for him. It is completely different from what has been said up to now, which was that she behaved coldly towards Wilhelm. If there truly was so much coldness it would have been odd that she allowed her mother, husband daughter and son-in-law to pay visits to Doorn.

Wilhelmina's willingness to host a Peace conference in The Hague is surprising for reasons stated in posts above. And perhaps ironic considering how much she fumed against the two peace conferences and the opening of the peace palace (& Tsar Nicholas II who proposed it all) as she found it a humiliation for the country. In 1919 German officials wanted to publish information about the failed peace conference, which was prevented by minister van Karnebeek and the Queen.

A pro-German stance of Queen Wilhelmina in WWI is also new though De Graaf softens the language in the tv program and talks about the 'two hearts' of Queen Wilhelmina -one for neutrality and one for family/friends- that are in conflict in the summer of 1918.

De Graaf gives a lot of convincing details that the authorities knew what was going to happen, for example how the village doctor of Amerongen was notified in advance of Wilhelm's flight, a file of the French secret service officer in The Hague talking about '40 suitcases' with which Wilhelm was supposed to travel to The Netherlands, the visits of Dutch and German diplomats to Amerongen in the summer etc etc. She also puts the visit of general Van Heutz -a great favorite of Wilhelmina- to the German headquarters in November 1918 in a more probable light. The official explanation that he was there to observe manouevers was never likely & was widely doubted by historians.

De Graaf claims that while revolutions raged in Europe, the Dutch queen still had actual power which she used not for the good of the country but for personal reasons. I am not sure if that is fair. Even the British later came around and thought it best if the emperor stayed in exile in The Netherlands. A trial of a (former)monarch would have encouraged revolutionary feelings in Britain it was thought, when it was clear that monarchs are ordinary people too. Up to now it was also maintained that a big role of Wilhelm's welcome was that the Netherlands was a neutral country and to prove that neutrality it could not pick sides. Welcoming a conquered neighbor would not be in conflict of neutrality but an expression of it.

Although it is not surprising that the court & government preferred to keep the peace conference and the Dutch involvement in Wilhelms flight to the Netherlands quiet at the time & esp. after WWII, it is surprising that it took this long to be challenged & revealed. Queen Wilhelmina's word was believed 'on her blue eyes' -as De Graaf says. It is clear that she must have known about the Emperor's arrival but as Hans Goedkoop says in the documentary: it is not proven that she took the initiative for it, a 'smoking gun' is missing from the large pile of sources that have been discovered.

Just saw the documentary. With Prince Georg Friedrich clearly proud on the links with the Oranges. It was fascinating. I hope that ARD or ZDF will broadcast this too.

Fasseur has some information about the Emperor's feelings regarding the wedding of Queen Wilhelmina.

In 1899 he received a memo from his Foreign Affairs ministry about English candidates for Wilhelmina (two Teck brothers) and he wrote on the memo: 'Sie scheint viel umworben zu werden! Aber nur ein Deutscher Prinz darf sie bekommen.' (she seems to be courted by many but she can only have a German prince).

A member of the Imperial family was out of the question in the beginning as The Hague thought it would endanger the neutrality of the country.

Due to the Boer war the government -temporarily- grew closer to Germany and in 1900 the consul in The Hague told his master that everything pointed to a German candidate. The emperor said that such a marriage would seal the approachment of the two countries & would create a reliable base for support in The Hague & started looking for a candidate among his own family. His sons were too young and he ended up selecting the youngest son of prince Albrecht jr: prince Friedrich Wilhelm, who was a student in Bonn. He was the grandson of Princess Marianne of the Netherlands, which would show the 'immer enger Anschlusz' of the Dutch and Prussian royal families in an appropriate way. Note that the eldest son of Prince Albrecht jr (named Friedrich Heinrich) was a known homosexual, so he was not considered.

Queen Emma settled early on a duke (either Heinrich of Adolf) of Mecklenburg, due to correspondance with Elisabeth of Saxe-Weimar (daughter of Pss Sophie), who married their half-brother Duke Johann-Albrecht of Mecklenburg & was a great confidante - as had been princess Sophie herself).

In spring 1900 a meeting was arranged in Schwarzburg, where the two queens went for a holiday. Duke Heirnich was encouraged to visit his maternal grandmother, who lived in Schwarzburg Castle. An aunt of Heinrich, Pss Thekla of Schwarzburg, sent an invitation to a picknick to the queens and that is where they first met. Duke Adolf -Heinrich's brother- did not show up.

After this meeting another -unwelcome- candidate arrived in Schwarzburg: Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia, who was sent by the emperor. Wilhelm II had been notified about the meeting by his consul in The Hague. His aim was to use the anti-British feelings due to the Boer war and pull the Netherlands more into the German sphere of influence by a Hohenzollern marriage.

The German consul approached the grandmaster, Jhr de Grovestins & warmly recommended Friedrich Wilhelm: 'a very decent young person, and surely more intelligent than his brothers'. He added that only good things could be said about the prince and ended with the warning that the emperor would warmly approve of such a marriage while any other marriage would weaken the good relations between the countries. A few days later the consul made another appeal to Grovestins: he may not be a brilliant causeur but if one got to know him a bit better he was not thsat bad. He was 'fort serieux' loved the arts and music but was not a sportsman.

On 25 May the meeting was arranged. Friedrich-Wilhelm immidiately was liked by Count Dumonceau for his good manners (D's impression of Heinrich was not good: he found his boorish and not a man of the world). But FW never stood a chance with Wilhelmina: Emma showed her beforehand the communications of the consul that she had received from Grovestins. She knew Wilhelmina would disapprove of the meddling as she did not like to be bullied around by anybody.

On top of that Friedrich Wilhelm still looked rather boyish, which caused maternal feelings in the queen instead of amorous ones. She found him too young and too childish, an impression which was only strenghtened by the fast that he was travelling with his governor. According to Emma, Wilhelmina found him 'fuerchterlich jung"

When the consul asked if a new meeting could be arranged, perhaps in Scheveningen, he was told that he could save himself the trouble.

Last edited:
What a pity that it became no match between Queen Wilhelmina and Princess Marianne's grandson Prince Friedrich Wilhelm von Preussen. Her choice for Heinrich von Mecklenburg was not a good one, as their marriage soon derailed into two unhappy individuals.

Back
Top Bottom