The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Nobility

"besichtigt das Denkmal Kaiser Wilhelm I. vor dem Rathause in Bielefeid nach der Enthullungsfeier am 29. August 1907."

visits the memorial Emperor Wilhelm I. in front of the town hall in Bielefeld after the exposure celebration on 29th August 1907

About the Reichstag building: I found a link in english
http://www.vldb.informatik.hu-berlin.de/new_berlin.html

Ok, now I try the speech, but you should know that I don't speak English that good...

The Emperor says
A hard hour came over Germany today. Envious countries everywhere force us to defeat ourselves fairly. One gives us the sword into our hand. I hope that, if we will not be able to make them judicious in the last hours and keep the peace, we will lead the sword with god's help so, that we will put it back in the sheath with honours. A war would mean enormous victims of goods and blood for the German people.But we would show the enemies what it means to attack Germany. And now I recommend you God! And now go to the church kneel down in front of God and ask him for help for our good army.

"Looking back on her short life I often wonder why we did not see that she was quite too good for this world, her fit companions were the Angels." ~Margaretta Eager about Princess Elisabeth of Hesse (1895-1903)
Old 10-27-2005, 04:53 PM
Nobility

What I forgot:
Where do you have all these cards from?
Have you ever been in Germany?

"Looking back on her short life I often wonder why we did not see that she was quite too good for this world, her fit companions were the Angels." ~Margaretta Eager about Princess Elisabeth of Hesse (1895-1903)
Old 10-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliamontague
What I forgot:
Where do you have all these cards from?
Have you ever been in Germany?
I have been collecting postcards since 1981. I should to go to postcard shows and buy them at the shows. Now I buy them off of Ebay. I have bought some from Ebay sellers who live in Holland, Germany, and Canada. I just bought three more German Royalty cards that I will add to this forum when I receive them.
I was in Germany in 1982. I visited Wiesbaden, Munich, Augsburg, and Koln. I took German in high school back in the mid-1980s. I only remember alittle bit. So that is why I could not translate comepetely the postcards that I have at this time.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Gentry

Thanks for translating! The link about the "Reichstadt" did not work.

I would like more info on Prince August Wilhelm's son, Prince Alexander Ferdinand. I just bought a cute postcard of this prince. What can you tell me about him?

Why does Prince Eitel Friedrich's wife always look mad or sad in photos? Every photo that I have seen of her shows her looking unhappy. Did this couple have an unhappy marriage? Prince Eitel Friedrich also looked unhappy.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 PM
Commoner

Coronation of King Wilhelm I

Do any of our posters have pictures of Kaiser Wilhelm I's coronation as King of Prussia in 1861. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Aristocracy

88 years ago to the day Kaiser Wilhelm II abdicated the throne of Germany. It seems like it should be longer ago to me but it just illustrates how much the world has changed.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Commoner

Kaiser Wilhelm's Siblings

here are some pictures of Wilhelm's siblings; also Wilhelm as a boy.
Prince Sigismund...died of meningitis when he was 21 months in 1866

Vicky and Waldemar

Wilhelm

Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 AM
Heir Apparent

TI&RM Emperor Wilhelm II & Empress Auguste Viktorie, King and Queen of Prussia

Wilhelm II , Deutsche Kaiser und König von Preußen

Auguste Viktorie, Deutsche Kasierin und Königin von Preußen

The Kaiserin was born in 1858, the eldest daughter of the reigning Duke Frederik VIII of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Augustenburg.

In 1881 she married Prince Wilhelm of Prussia, who became Kaiser Wilhelm II seven years later.

The Kaiserin lived to see the collapse of the German Empire, and died in 1921.

Auguste Viktoria was also the maternal granddaughter of Princess Feodora of Leiningen, Queen Victoria of Great Britain's half sister.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 03-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
. . . but by and large she loved all her grandchildren, even Willy.
Boy that's saying a lot considering Willy's disposition!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

You are right. Victoria saw what he was. I don't know if she took into condiseration how her daughter, Victoria, viewed her son, because of his handicaps, as less than perfect. So, she tired to be loving to him. She, also, got angry with him. But he did love her and she did love him. He was with her at the end. Didn't leave Victoria's side until she died.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Few photos of Victoria nad family:

QUEEN VICTORIA: IMAGES OF HER WORLD

One of my favourite photo-sites.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Victoria's Granddaughters III pictures from history photos on webshots
empressfrederick has few nice photo albums about Queen Victoria's family.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:12 PM

Hello my name is Neil, I would like to know have you came across good photographs of Victoria Empress Frederick of Germany please.
regards
neil
Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Nobility

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21Nz27OYQxL.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...cess_Royal.jpg

here are some pics of empress victoria
Old 03-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
You are right. Victoria saw what he was. I don't know if she took into condiseration how her daughter, Victoria, viewed her son, because of his handicaps, as less than perfect. So, she tired to be loving to him. She, also, got angry with him. But he did love her and she did love him. He was with her at the end. Didn't leave Victoria's side until she died.
Maybe Wilhem was by his grandmother's deathbed because he had ulterior motives?? I don't know. All I know is that he was definitely deranged.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:40 PM
Nobility

What would make you think he had ulterior motives?
Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

He loved her. Truly. He didn't have any ulterior motives. He became more "difficult" as years past. He surrounded himself with the wrong people and never grew in competence. He also had a terrible inferior complex, because of his infirmity, which his mother, didn't help. More than just his arm was damaged at birth.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Wilhelm was the heir of the new German empire which was the most powerful in the world, he was the eldest grandchild of the most pre-eminent monarch in the world, Queen Victoria, and as a result of being the eldest and the most pre-eminent, he was incredibly spoiled.

He was used to being first with his grandmother Queen Victoria because he had literallly been the first grandchild.

I think he was just incredibly spoiled. He could be romantic when he thought he loved, like the love he had for Alix's sister Ella but he was a bit childish in the way he went about her.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 03-14-2008, 05:35 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
Well, I believe it was the Dutch Queen Emma who said about Wilhelm II 'at every wedding he wants to be the bride' , which was the reason thje Dutch court did everything to prevent him form attending Wilhelmina's enthronement and wedding. So him being at Victoria's bedside would be another way to make him be the centerstage.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexi4 View Post
He was the Prussian Emperor at the time of his grandmother's death. He was raised to be an emperor which got him used to being the center of attention, so him being at the deathbed of the Queen Victoria, who helped change Britain into an empire, just got him more attention. Remember, he did have many insecurities so the attention compensated for it all. Also, Victoria was probably the most admired European monarch of her time. No one can doubt that. So when Wilhem was at his grandmother's deathbed it helped him in politics and his country's foreign relations. Prussia wasn't very popular when he was emperor.