The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Majesty

The Kaiser's children did have English nannies. The only governess that I know of joined the family when the Royal couple's sole daughter, Viktoria Louise, was nine and she stayed until the Princess didn't need her any more. She was British, an Anne Topham, who later wrote her memoirs of the Kaiser's court.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:06 PM

Interesting. My great grandmother left Germany after WW1. I can’t find anything on her while she was in Germany. Her name was Johanna May Wunsch. She lived with her fatherless child, Manuel May. I’m not sure if he was born in Germany.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:02 AM
Majesty

Huge numbers of staff and servants worked for the Kaiser and his family. Didn't your great grandmother ever discuss where she was born, baptised, schooled etc. with her child(ren) grandchildren or others? What about immigration records for the US? If you could get baptismal records that would be a start, though of course quite a lot of documentation was destroyed in Germany through two world wars.
Old 09-28-2019, 02:15 PM
Courtier

Question about a book

I am currently reading "Young Wilhelm" by John C.G. Rohl. I plan to read the other two books in the series. In my search for books about Kaiser Wilhelm II, I came across a book titled "The Innocence of Kaiser Wilhelm II: and the First World War" by Christina Croft. Given what I have been reading, I almost choked when I read the title. It has good reviews on Amazon, but I am wondering if anyone on these forums has read it, and if so, did you find it to be accurate?
Old 10-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

ZDF aired a drama/documentary about the fall of the German emperor. The 3-part documentary is on YouTube since last month and is subtitled in English. Empress Auguste Viktoria is played by Sunnyi Melles, wife of Prince Peter of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, the younger brother of the present Fürst;

Old 10-14-2019, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I like how actual black and white film is also used in the footage. This adds to the realism of the situation.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:34 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
ZDF aired a drama/documentary about the fall of the German emperor. The 3-part documentary is on YouTube since last month and is subtitled in English. Empress Auguste Viktoria is played by Sunnyi Melles, wife of Prince Peter of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn, the younger brother of the present Fürst;

Thank you so much for this link!! I am currently reading John Rohl's 3 volume set on Kaiser Wilhelm II. I will definitely watch this.
Old 10-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post

Thank you for posting this. I have just finished watching & found it very interesting. I did not know that Max of Baden had a chance to preserve the German monarchy. How very different history might have been. I also did not know that Hahn was Max's advisor.

Was the Empress really such an important player in these events? Did the Kaiser really make such an intemperate speech at Krupps?

I enjoyed the scenes filmed at the Neues Palais in Potsdam & the palace at Stuttgart. Is there much to see inside these palaces?

In this country the Kaiser is seen an unpredictable & arrogant man who plunged Europe into the abyss. Very one dimensional I know but the film doesn't do anything to dispel these sorts of notions about his character.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:18 AM
Nobility

There is also a production like "Kaisersturz" by the same tv-outlet called "Zarensturz", about the fall of the Romanovs.

I have seen all of this, and my opinion was confirmed: Modern German history books, film and docus are terrible!

One can watch them for amusement, but must keep in mind, that anybody, who would have anything positive to say about the Realm of the Emperor, would not have made a career in German Television. Because it is against the poltical correctness...
Old 10-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Commoner

With great pain I watched these 3 episodes, produced and aired by ZDF.
To put it in a nutshell, this is bullshit and pure propaganda.
If you have read books and followed other documentaries about this time and its characters you have to come to no other conclusion.
Especially the presentation of HM the Kaiser and HM the Empress according to their characters do not correspond to their real biographies.
I would REALLY like to know sources for the presentation. HM the Empress as a dominant influencing figure? It is ridiculous. All description of her is the contrary. I want sources.
Concerning Prinz Max von Baden, who really was no hero in these days, shall have to be gay and was extorted by their Majesties??? FIRST time ever I heard of that, and would like to have sources of proof too. This is bullshit. Especially nowadays, if true, there would been reports of how "ill minded Hohenzollern blackmailed a poor gay".
To shut the lid, the moderator in the off says in the end something like, "and the first democracy in Germany was installed". Bullshit too, because the German Empire compared to its European neighbors was already a democracy, by constitution, not as far as we are today, but in fact it was. It was the first republic that was installed in Germany, then it would have been correct. But that was not the wording. AND, completely left out in this "documentary" was the fact that the constitution of the German Empire in 1918 was changed into a parliamentary monarchy. Oh, why wasn't that mentioned?
It did not fit in the picture.
But what I am mostly astonished is, that this kind of rubbish is recommended in a royal forum like this. Very sad...