The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > Royal Families of Germany and Austria > The Imperial House of Habsburg

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-06-2009, 06:23 PM
Gentry

I know that Karl's body is buried in Maderia, while his heart is at Muri Abbey.

How come his body hasn't yet been buried at the Crypt in Vienna?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Serene Highness

So sad to watch the wedding film w/ all the happy guests in hindsight and knowing what was to come. Franz Ferdinand's assassination cut short the couple's tranquility and thrust Karl and Zita into imperial duties much earlier than expected. And Zita's long widowhood reminds me of Queen Victoria's, but sadder. Her husband died younger and her longer life of morning. Victoria at least had a stable throne while Zita had to live her life in exile. But definitely, Karl and Zita were one of the most devoted couples in history.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R Maier esq View Post
I know that Karl's body is buried in Maderia, while his heart is at Muri Abbey.

How come his body hasn't yet been buried at the Crypt in Vienna?
I don't know the exact reason, but I can tell you that Archduke Otto doesn't want it to happen; I don't know what the other members of the family think, or the austrian government.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:50 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAfan View Post
I don't know the exact reason, but I can tell you that Archduke Otto doesn't want it to happen; I don't know what the other members of the family think, or the austrian government.
Really . . . I guess Otto's rationale might be "well if the body has been there for 87 years, why move it?"
Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Not exactly; in an interview to "Le Figaro" in 2008, he explained that he opposes because the local people wants the remains of the late Emperor to be let in Madeira. Quite simple explanation too...
Old 11-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Aristocracy

True. There is a big devotion to Kaiser Karl in Madeira. When Karl and Zita came to this island, the welcome was very hearty and the imperial couple was very affected by this, in these times of sadness for them.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

We have a "relic" of blessed Charles ,the last Emperor of Austria, in Brussels in the church Notre Dame du Sablon.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've found an interview (in Italian) about Emperor Charles I to his son Archduke Rudolph and his granddaughter Archduchess Catharina, the youngest daughter of Rudolph; the interview was taken some months ago, at the time of the 87th death anniversary of the Emperor and the 5th death anniversary of Pope John Paul II;
the Archduke talked about the strong link between the Emperor and the Pope; he remembered a private meeting with the Pope of him, his family and his mother Zita, in which the Pope talked with great enthusiasm of the Emperor, and told to the Imperial Family that he was named Karol after the Emperor, who was very admired by the late Pope's father; Archduke Rudolph told also that the Pope called Zita "my Empress", and every time he talked to her he bowed. Pope John Paul II was an admirer of the Emperor too, and he begun appreciating him since he was young, when his father talked to him about his Emperor.
Archduke Rudolph talked also about the beatification of the Emperor, that was an important step for "rehabilitate" the Emperor, often badly esteemed, and about the thought of Emperor Charles about his task of Emperor (a mission he was charged with by God, and that he could not renounce to; that's why he never abdicated), his love for his family and his people (that he considered as his big family he was the father of).
Then Archduchess Catharina talked about the political ideas of her grandfather, his work for the peace in Europe and his dream of an united Europe; she talked also of her grandmother, to whom she was very affectionate, and of the stories about the Emperor that the Empress related her; according to Archduchess Catharina, Zita remained in love with her late husband until she died; and soon before Zita died, when she met Catharina for the last time, the Empress told her "It's the time to leave. You can't imagine my happiness: I go and see your Grandfather. I don't see him since 67 years"; her eyes were glistening like the eyes of a girl in love, told Catharina.
The article talked also about the work of Catharina in Brescia, in Italy, where she often lives (her husband comes from Brescia) and where she supports a cultural centre with the aim of making known the life, the work and the holiness of the late Emperor Charles; this centre is set in the Church of San Gottardo, where are some relics of the Late Emperor.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:40 PM
Courtier

Location: Trust me you've never heard of it..., United States
I knew that the father of JPII had been a solider in the army of Bl. Karl but I didn't realize that he had been named after the Emporer. Archduchess Catharina paints a very different picture of the Empress than did the daughter of Otto who thought that her grandmother was cold and distant.

Lovely interview. Thank you for your translation.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

You're welcome, Lalla Meriem!
Archduchess Catharina also added that her grandmother was very fond of her, because Catharina was the youngest of all her grandchildren; she also said that Zita used to visit Archduke Rudolph and his family in Bruxelles very often, and that was Zita to teach Catharina the cathechism.

In the last part of the article, that I have forgotten to write about, it is written about the miracle of Mrs Tamara Staggs, that will be used for the sanctification of the Emperor.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Catharina is Archiduke Rodolphe child from his second wedding with a Princess of Wrede. We often see them with our RF, especially Queen Fabiola.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Courtier

I actually found this interview in English. It was very pleasant to read. I learned something new even from reading it in my native language. I was not aware that the Beautification process had also been started for Empress Zita. I'm sure this is just a translation of the article that MAfan posted.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Great Lalla Meriem! you're right, it's the english version of the one I've found (and surely better translated...)
Old 11-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Nobility

Thank you for posting this interview, MAfan and Lalla Meriem. Very interesting indeed. I, too, did not know that the former Pope had been named for Emperor Karl or that he was a monarchist at heart, bowing before Zita and calling her "my Empress."
Old 11-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalla Meriem View Post
I actually found this interview in English. It was very pleasant to read. I learned something new even from reading it in my native language. I was not aware that the Beautification process had also been started for Empress Zita. I'm sure this is just a translation of the article that MAfan posted.
Have I understood well? Empress Zita is to be beatified?
Old 11-12-2009, 03:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Have I understood well? Empress Zita is to be beatified?
The Archduchess said, "she has already been proclaimed a servant of God, because a beatification process has been instituted for her as well."

I took it to mean the same as you. It was a big deal when the steps were started for the Emperor but this is the first I have heard of it for the Empress. The Archduchess is in a position to know this so I assume it is true.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:46 PM
Serene Highness

December 13, 2009: New Liturgical Movement: Cause of Beatification of Empress Zita Opened
Old 02-26-2010, 11:50 AM
Heir Presumptive

The last Emperor Karl was blessed by the late Pope Jean-Paul II. Now in Rome they
are starting to bless his wife Empress Zita.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:03 PM

If you want to believe all the guff about saintly Karl, then that’s your right…As for his wife, that’s total BS.
But there are some members of the Habsburg family with little common sense.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:08 AM

The youtube videos of Empress Zita's funeral are wonderful, but does anyone know where I might find a video of the whole funeral? My friend would like to give it as a birthday gift to his priest.

I haven't had any luck finding anything, even after trying to use my terrible german skills to search that part of the internet.

Tags
emperor karl i, empress zita, habsburg