The State Opening of The Cortes

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

An Ard Ri

Super Moderator
Site Team
City
An Iarmhí
Country
Ireland
The State Opening of The Cortes 2016

398px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Spanish_Monarch.svg.png

Date to be confirmed.

Last edited:
Princess Leonor and Infanta Sofia are attending the Opening of the Courts!!
:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

It's at Casa Real agenda: http://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_actividades_detalle.aspx?data=12979

I'm so happy they're attending, but at the same time I'm worryed. With the current climate at the congress and all those leftish and republicans representatives, and I'm afraid we can expect protests outside like on Rajoy's investment :sad: Maybe they're taking them there hoping that the deputies will behave out of respect for the girls, who knows....

Well, I hope nobody complains ever again that they are hiding them :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Thanks for the updates Annie,I was beginning to think we'd never see the first State Opening of The Cortes of King Felipe VI's reign!

It's at Casa Real agenda: http://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_actividades_detalle.aspx?data=12979

I'm so happy they're attending, but at the same time I'm worryed. With the current climate at the congress and all those leftish and republicans representatives, and I'm afraid we can expect protests outside like on Rajoy's investment :sad: Maybe they're taking them there hoping that the deputies will behave out of respect for the girls, who knows....

Well, I hope nobody complains ever again that they are hiding them :whistling::whistling::whistling:

:D I usually complain but I have to say, this is absolutely an event where the girls should be in attendance, I don't find them too young and if there are protests so be it. At least for Leonor this will be the environment of her supposed position.

So far F&L have only brought the girls when they absolutely had to, when it comes to the institution, and this is one of those events.

I believe that their parents will prepare them for event by explaining that there could be some outbursts. That being said I hope that those inclined to having one during the ceremony will temper their response.

Tomorrow is the big day. As a start, Rajoy wants to ban memes, social network users’ way of gaining comic revenge on the politicians that rule people's lives. If this is the biggest problem in Spain, good luck!

No joke: Spanish prime minister's party suggests ban on internet memes

As an act of protest, Podemos will not attend the military parade or the King's salute during the solemn opening of the Cortes on Thursday. Asked if they will applaud Felipe VI's speech, that it will depend on what he says.

Podemos se borra del saludo al Rey y del desfile en la apertura solemne de las Cortes | España Home | EL MUNDO

:previous: God forbid if there's a big State affair and they don't get full spotlight :whistling: :lol:

Nice ceremonial. Luckily the banners, flags, canopies, ceremonial display etc. added a great couleur locale to the solemn event.

It must have been a warm autumnal day in Madrid given that no one wore coats,I hope Leonor and Sofia had a memorable State Opening of the Cortes!

From what I've heard and read, there was no "boo", lucikily. Not any glaring protest. I'm saying this because of the girls...

It's at Casa Real agenda: Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España - Actividades y Agenda - Solemne ceremonia de Apertura de la XII Legislatura

i doubt that any protests that need to take place will stop out of 'respect' to leonor and sofia's presence. unfortunately spain's problems are deeply engrained and the presence of two little girls will have zero effect in whatever needs to take place.

on another note, the press noted letizia's leg appeared to have a big bruise.

La Reina Letizia llega al Congreso con un moratón en su pierna | loc | EL MUNDO

Several spanish media are discussing that Letizia was in bad mood/absent-minded/angry, only distracted by watching every move of her daughters, even signalling them when to clap or stop clapping.

Social networks are full of comments about the obvious, suggesting she participated in the Mannequin Challenge where people imitate mannequins and freeze in front of the camera, a new trend.

¿Por qué estaba Letizia tan seria en el Congreso? En Twitter tienen una teoría
La seriedad de Doña Letizia, protagonista de las Cortes | loc | EL MUNDO
La mala cara de Letizia en la Apertura de Legislatura y su Varela repetido

That is my problem with Letizia indeed. With her eternal skin-tight dresses, her non-verbal communication (or the lack of it), her flatter-than-flat profile. Come on, show the world Letizia! You are the Queen!

It looks so out of place, people curtsying to girls aged 9 and 11 years. Must be some die hard monarchists among the guests.

It looks so out of place, people curtsying to girls aged 9 and 11 years. Must be some die hard monarchists among the guests.

Curtsying is a custom that is still observed in the Spanish court. As HRHs, it is perfectly appropriate that Leonor and Sofia should be curtsied to.

Letizia did look tense but that could have been nerves and I noticed there was no warmth/smile/chit chat with the Prime Minister upon meeting him,this is something that comes natural to queen Sofia.

Queen Sofia is the best actress I've ever seen in that respect, in public she would have warm small talk with her worst enemy and you wouldn't notice.

The footage is really awkward and amateur. They should learn how to present it. The royals should be focussed only during the key moments.. Not their off-time. Maybe they can learn a thing or two from the British or Danish Opening, when to focus on whom and when not to..
BTW is it necessary to bring such young girls? It is also a distraction for the K&Q..making sure all the time the girls are OK..

Solemn opening ceremony of the XIV Legislature. 2020.

Solemn opening ceremony of the XIV Legislature. 2020.

Thank you, Lula.

Could you please inform us which political parties boycotted the state opening for not recognizing the King's authority ?

Could you please also identify which decorations the King is wearing on a long necklace or collar ? I cannot see them clearly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The State Opening of the Cortes in 1919 with the arrival of king Alfonso XIII and queen Victoria Eugenia.

640px-Apertura_de_las_Cortes_en_1919_%28Asterio_Ma%C3%B1an%C3%B3s_Mart%C3%ADnez%29.jpg

Back
Top Bottom