State Visit from Mexico to Spain: June 11-13, 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's right! I KNEW Queen Sophia's dress looked really familiar! The Valentino collection was in the Royalty magazine!

Really? She had her sash pinned on with a safety pin??

I have said it before and I will say it again: Whatever happened to the spunky and intelligent young woman in the striking white pantsuit who became engaged to Prince Felipe?
She has morphed into a too-thin sacred looking woman who is beginning to look older than her years.
She is a mother of two children but what else does she do? Is she a patron of any charities or organizations? She has never appeared in public at an official function without another royal accompanying her (as far as I know)
She has become the Masako of Europe as far as I am concerned.
Fashion-wise, she was doomed from the day of her wedding (in that awful wedding dress designed by an out-of-touch designer chosen by Sofia) and she has never recovered.
Haul out the beautiful red gown she wore to Fred and Mary's wedding and use that designer.

Princess Letizia is not Masako of Europe. She is very busy with her work, both in her solo engagements and the events she does with her husband. The prince and princess look very happy and in love and it is easy to see that they enjoy their work very much.

That's right! I KNEW Queen Sophia's dress looked really familiar! The Valentino collection was in the Royalty magazine!

Really? She had her sash pinned on with a safety pin??

Yes, you can see the safety pin on her sash, fourth picture.

Galerías de imágenes

You gotta love how the spanish royal family distributes its funds when the Queen is in the latest Valentino Couture and the Princess of Asturias has to pin her sash to her badly made dress with a safty pin:whistling:

;) Queen Sofia comes first (Valentino, Oscar de la Renta), then Elena (Chanel), then Cristina and then uupppssss, sorry but the big money has gone. For Letizia, Varela and the car boot sale have to be good enough (this is how her combo looks), even for a State Visit. In some pictures she looks quite uncomfortable with a forced smile as if she was actually aware of this humiliation. At least Queen Sofia could have opened her jewel box and helped out with a nice piece to hold the sash but no, same here, for Letizia a safety pin is good enough.

Instead of this holding hands even during a State Visit Felipe should set something straight with his parents but when I look at some pictures, eg this one [DNF] Fotoarchief Denieuwsfoto , despite this whole lovey dovey thing with his wife Felipe is first and foremost Sofia's Mama's Boy and moves when the Patron whistles, what can he do, but in such moments Letizia looks out of place and will probably never become part of this Borbon intimacy Felipe still shares with his parents, especially his mother.

Take a very close look at the "safety pin". I am not sure it is just that. It looks like it might be the backing of something and that something has dropped off. How could she possibly just use a safety pin in public.

That dress of Letizia came up straight of the "Sofia, Elena and Cristina: Gala Dresses we wore on the 80's" trunk.

Is plain awful IMO, don't like the hair, it makes her actually look older, don't like the safety pin, well who does it (it could be made out of gold and diamonds and be a Cartier, is still what it is and in pictures looks like a cheap baby safety pin), she looks extremelly skinny and older than she is, lost, kind of worry and out of place.

I don't like the Valentino's version of the Queen either, to many patterns, to many things, flowers, huge jewelry, sash, pins, tiara, in those kind of gala you better go with a simple dress, go simple and you still will have 99 chances of looking like a Christmas Tree, go figure if you put yourself on a busy gown.

For me the best in her simplicity the First Lady of Mexico.

Last edited:
I am shocked about the safety-pin thing. About the fact that one can see it so obvious. Really bad.
I don't like Letizia's dress... or outfit .It's not a dress, is it?
I don't like the colour. The shape of the dress is oldfashioned. She looked a bit matronly.

I like Sofia's outfit better. She looked fresher. The dress is cool with that fun-spring print.

As much as I love Letizia I have to agree with you guys. She doesn't look her best here. Her hair made her look old. THe pink gown is ok but the safety pin is really a no no. She should repeat the two red gowns she wore to F&M's wedding.

I also thought Letizia looked really tired, I would think after a while with two little toddlers and all the engagements, you would make a mistake. She just looks really washed out and tired, hope she is feeling ok and maybe she was sick?

I also thought Letizia looked really tired, I would think after a while with two little toddlers and all the engagements, you would make a mistake. She just looks really washed out and tired, hope she is feeling ok and maybe she was sick?

I think she looked tired too, but don't they have people who would notice something like that? She needs a good long vacation with her husband and kids outside of Spain, just to recharge.

Letizia's gala dress looks like something out of a 1980's prom catalogue, but I can look past it since I like a lot of the other things she wears. The safety pin holding her sash in place...no. I'm sorry, but no. I can't believe that there wasn't a proper brooch available anywhere for Letizia to use, either from her own jewelry collection or from someone else's.

Last edited:
Letizia has a couple of very nice brooches herself. I wonder this safety pin was the last minute arrangement. Since the dinner was held in Palacio Real, she couldn't go back to Zarzuela to get her brooch.

Letizia has a couple of very nice brooches herself. I wonder this safety pin was the last minute arrangement. Since the dinner was held in Palacio Real, she couldn't go back to Zarzuela to get her brooch.

This could be what happened, I can' t think of why she would have used a safety pin otherwise.

Princess Letizia is not Masako of Europe. She is very busy with her work, both in her solo engagements and the events she does with her husband. The prince and princess look very happy and in love and it is easy to see that they enjoy their work very much.

What work? What solo engagements? As far as I have seen almost ALL of her
events are done with her husband. She did do a Red Cross event quite a while ago but was paired with Elena and Cristina.

Are there photos of her working events on her own? I have not seen any -

Also, I think that the shock of seeing her earlier in the day in a nice outfit with her streaked hair worn very straight - she looked great!
And then, in a matter of a few hours, she transformed into this dated looking matron with an old fashioned hairdo and ugly dress -
She is either spot-on or waaaaaay off the mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
events are done with her husband. She did do a Red Cross event quite a while ago but was paired with Elena and Cristina.

Go over to the Princess Letizia Current Events thread and see for yourself.

She has had many solo engagements recently. In the past 2 weeks for example, she has had at least last 2-3 events on her own. Please check recent 'Princess Letizia threads' that show her in several solo engagements per month. There are links to speeches as well. There is also a link to a recent El Pais article on her which sheds light on her priorities and how the PoAs work together.

This thread is about the State Visit from Mexico and not Letizia's Solo Engagements.
If you want to discuss the Infanta's Solo Events please use this thread instead: Princess Letizia current events.​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom