Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think its a part of human nature that when faced with a change, there will always be those out there that believe they have the right ideas on how to build a better mousetrap so to speak. I think I would be more worried should there be a society where change is just accepted at face value with the people resigned to what is presented to them in an apathetic manner.

For thoughtful, and very true!

Letizia Ortiz Rocasoleno had only one religious marriage and that was with the future King Felipe VI.

Letizia Ortiz Rocasoleno had only one religious marriage and that was with the future King Felipe VI.

Many people don't make that distinction. If it's a legal marriage, it counts.

:previous: Regardless what people may think about the Princess, the protest are against the monarchy as institution, not against her.

As I said earlier, we shouldn't read too much into these protests..

:previous: Regardless what people may think about the Princess, the protest are against the monarchy as institution, not against her.

The demonstrations have been organised by cheap republican groups, still trying to keep the dream of the Third Republic alive...

Whoever the demonstrators are, they are very lucky indeed to live in a country that allows them to demonstrate. 20,000 people might seem quite a lot, but not much more than can be raised for a football match. Spain has 47m inhabitants more or less, so a demonstration of, say, 20m people and that might be a different story!

I truly think that King Felipe VI will be an inspirational king and an amazing leader for his country. Whatever ones views on the monarchy, I can think of absolutely no elected head of state who appears to have the same gravitas as Felipe. The bonds between Felipe and Letizia see to be exceptionally strong and as such, she will be good in her role as Queen Consort.

Whoever the demonstrators are, they are very lucky indeed to live in a country that allows them to demonstrate. 20,000 people might seem quite a lot, but not much more than can be raised for a football match. Spain has 47m inhabitants more or less, so a demonstration of, say, 20m people and that might be a different story!

I truly think that King Felipe VI will be an inspirational king and an amazing leader for his country. Whatever ones views on the monarchy, I can think of absolutely no elected head of state who appears to have the same gravitas as Felipe. The bonds between Felipe and Letizia see to be exceptionally strong and as such, she will be good in her role as Queen Consort.

One thing that is good too about demonstrations is that it also gives an insight to the monarch as what is on the minds of the people and what they're not happy with or what they feel the country needs and they can then address the problems if need be.

One thing that is good too about demonstrations is that it also gives an insight to the monarch as what is on the minds of the people and what they're not happy with or what they feel the country needs and they can then address the problems if need be.

I Absolutely agree

The demonstrations have been organised by cheap republican groups, still trying to keep the dream of the Third Republic alive...

I don't understand why you call republicans cheap.They are as respectful as monarchists.Those demonstrating have every right to do it.
As far as I know,they are are not asking for a dictatorship:D

I don't understand why you call republicans cheap.They are as respectful as monarchists.Those demonstrating have every right to do it.

As far as I know,they are are not asking for a dictatorship:D

SOME of them are as respectful as monarchists, some of them aren't. I suppose I'm taking it in an British perspective, the republicans over here in the UK are all nutters, they don't have an argument and simply rant on Daily Mail about how the Queen should be beheaded, a lot (but not all) Spanish republicans hate the their royals, as opposed to the Institution.

SOME of them are as respectful as monarchists, some of them aren't. I suppose I'm taking it in an British perspective, the republicans over here in the UK are all nutters, they don't have an argument and simply rant on Daily Mail about how the Queen should be beheaded, a lot (but not all) Spanish republicans hate the their royals, as opposed to the Institution.

Republicans or monarchists,I believe that the majority of westerners are nowadays sane enough not to behead another human being was it a dictator.
Shall a European monarchy became a republic I highly doubt it's royal family will be killed.
I am sure that what happened to the Romanov,Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and their children will never happen to another royal family at least in Europe.
What seemed normal at that time is a crime nowadays.Same thing with slavery,it simply can't be praticed again.

As a democrat,I believe that people are entitled to demonstrate against their rulers and question the necessity of a monarchy or any other system.
Considering them insane is imo irrespectful and it may even lead them to extremist views .

Republicans or monarchists,I believe that the majority of westerners are nowadays sane enough not to behead another human being was it a dictator.

Shall a European monarchy became a republic I highly doubt it's royal family will be killed.

I am sure that what happened to the Romanov,Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette and their children will never happen to another royal family at least in Europe.

What seemed normal at that time is a crime nowadays.Same thing with slavery,it simply can't be praticed again.

As a democrat,I believe that people are entitled to demonstrate against their rulers and question the necessity of a monarchy or any other system.

Considering them insane is imo irrespectful and it may even lead them to extremist views .

Oh I agree, people should be entitled to their views, and should be entitled, if they wish, to demonstrate. It's just the people that call for the royals to be killed that annoys me, hate the institution, not the people who run it.

In the Parliament the majority is royalist.

:previous:

Change always brings about debate. There are no riots (riot police does not mean riots are happening). There is no political will in Spain to promote a change to Republicanism. Ive read that from many Spanish people today.

What the country needs is stability - particularly economic stability - rather than just more changes. This iis the message I got loud and clear today.

EDIT: Also meant to add that I think this is the public really confirming how angry they are with JC. I think they will give Felipe the chance to turn it round. If he doesn't.... that's another story.

In the Parliament the majority is royalist.

That may well be but let's remember that the majority rule, polls have shown the monarchy at as low as 48%, this is bad and an referendum may spell the end on the monarchy. It's so sad, the end of the worlds last Hispanic monarchy (correct me if I'm wrong...)

:previous:

Change always brings about debate. There are no riots (riot police does not mean riots are happening). There is no political will in Spain to promote a change to Republicanism. Ive read that from many Spanish people today.

What the country needs is stability - particularly economic stability - rather than just more changes. This iis the message I got loud and clear today.

EDIT: Also meant to add that I think this is the public really confirming how angry they are with JC. I think they will give Felipe the chance to turn it round. If he doesn't.... that's another story.

For the sake of the continuation of the Spanish Monarchy lets hope Felipe can turn things around... drastically. It's very sad to see Spain in such a state, I will only hope that these protestors are in the minority.

What exactly does King Felipe do to turn the things around? Should he just ask people to wait for better times and tighten their belts? Is it possible that Spaniards are fed up?

Last edited:
Do you think there would be all this protest if Felipe and Letizia were more popular?

I don't know; perhaps Felipe is popular. But I know Spaniards have never liked Letizia, and I wondered if this has made a difference in the general reaction to the abdication?

It's probably disappointing for the couple on a personal level that, for whatever reason, Letizia has not become beloved by the Spanish people over the last ten years, but from the point of view of the monarchy going forward she doesn't have to be. The only people who matter now are Felipe and Leonor. If Letizia wants to contribute towards the survival of the monarchy she should focus on making things as easy and stable as possible behind the scenes for her husband and, to be blunt, on raising the sort of children who will do exactly what's expected of them and not make waves. I think in recent years the Spanish royals have exhausted any bank of good will they had with the Spanish people and the new king and his family will need to act impeccably, all of the time, if they want to retain their positions.

It would also be wise, IMO, for the couple to put serious thought into what their expectations are for the future role their younger daughter will play in the royal family, and to make sure Sofia is raised knowing what her options and limitations are.

How will turning Spain in to a republic solve the deep problems with Spain at the moment. Spain would still have 25% uneployment 50% youth uneployment. Republic or Monarchy the problems remain the same.

Those protesters should grateful to King Juan Carlos they even allowed to protest. :bang:

I agree, demonstrations are a sign of a healthy democracy.
And since JC came to the throne by Franco's will and not by the peoples' will, I wonder if a referrendum would not be the best thing at the moment and the logical endpoint of JC's reign which was seen as a transition from dictatorship to democracy.
So why not let democracy work now? Let the Spanish people for once and all vote if they want a constitutional monarchy or not.
If the majority wants it (as the polls show, but a poll is just a poll) wouldn't that give Felipe and Leonor a better standing in the future?

Yes, a referendum could be made. 2/3 of the Congress and the Senate would have to be in favour of such referendum; then the Congress and the Senate would dissolve, and the new Congress and Senate would have to vote again, with 2/3 of favorable votes just to have a referendum. Only then people would be able to vote, and still I'm sure monarchy would prevail.

The thing is, we'd be enlisting ourselves in such a complicated process for something that does not even worry spanish people. In 2014, people are worried about unemployment, corruption, inmigration, economy, education. Making a monarchy vs republic referendum would only add unnecessary inestability, it would add a problem we didn't have to our list of problems.

We already voted in favour of the monarchy when we massively approved the Constitution of 1978, and there hasn't been a strong enough republican movement since that would be worth of such inestability.

Is is rather sad even the future Queen's aunt wants the referendum for the republic. This happens when a Prince marries a woman from a non very royalist family.

Many aristocratic families try probably to have nothing in common with the future Queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has nothing to do with Princess Letizia being non-royal!! Her aunt seems to have an axe to grind! Well, she can grind away because Letizia is going to be Queen of Spain!:whistling:

That being said...I was not prepared for King Juan Carlos to abdicate and I feel a mixture of expectation and uneasiness about Felipe and Letizia becoming King and Queen. Not that they are not prepared because I absolutely think they are...but because of the circumstances of their ascension to the throne. If only King Juan Carlos, his daughter Christina and her husband had not subjected the monarchy to the scandals that have brought it to its lowest approval ratings...if only the monarchy was still as respected as it once was...and the king was only abdicating solely based on health issues...I think things for Felipe and Letizia would be so much better despite the economic difficulties.

I still think that something very serious happened behind the scenes to cause this abdication....right or wrong...that's how I feel.:sad:

I have this uneasy feeling that King Juan Carlos will still try to exert his influence behind the scenes even though he has abdicated. I hope that he does nothing to undermine his son's reign. Somehow, I feel that it will not be an easy road for King Felipe and Queen Letizia.

It has nothing to do with Princess Letizia being non-royal!! Her aunt seems to have an axe to grind! Well, she can grind away because Letizia is going to be Queen of Spain!:whistling:

That being said...I was not prepared for King Juan Carlos to abdicate and I feel a mixture of expectation and uneasiness about Felipe and Letizia becoming King and Queen. Not that they are not prepared because I absolutely think they are...but because of the circumstances of their ascension to the throne. If only King Juan Carlos, his daughter Christina and her husband had not subjected the monarchy to the scandals that have brought it to its lowest approval ratings...if only the monarchy was still as respected as it once was...and the king was only abdicating solely based on health issues...I think things for Felipe and Letizia would be so much better despite the economic difficulties.

I still think that something very serious happened behind the scenes to cause this abdication....right or wrong...that's how I feel.:sad:

I have this uneasy feeling that King Juan Carlos will still try to exert his influence behind the scenes even though he has abdicated. I hope that he does nothing to undermine his son's reign. Somehow, I feel that it will not be an easy road for King Felipe and Queen Letizia.

I understand your feelings - there has been something that we dont know about that finally resulted in government/Felipe saying enough is enough.

Sophia would support her son in order to maintain the monarchy - which would be her priority.

I think Felipe is like her - maintaining the monarchy; protecting his daughter's future is his priority. So - no more Christina and Elena, giving Letizia less issues; he will be kind to his father but he wont let him interfer; and he will take the support his mother gives but with proviso she gives 200% support to Letizia.

his reign could be more important to the Spanish monarchy than JC's in the long run. JC has fallen from grace and that is hard for the people to forgive because they loved him. But I would say that Felipe (and the Government) have only 2 years to improve the current situation.

Exactly cepe! I echo your thoughts as well! I feel that there are so many dangerous undercurrents going on with this situation!
Are King Juan Carlos' connections, avid supporters, wealthy business people, politicians and aristocracy going to support King Felipe the same way they did King Juan Carlos? Are they going to support Queen Letizia, Spain's first non-royal consort? Given how the press supported and protected King Juan Carlos on some level over the years....I wonder if they will do the same for King Felipe and Queen Letizia? Somehow, I think not. I think the media knives will become sharper because of the scandals!
I would imagine that Felipe wants to put his own stamp on things...which would mean doing things differently to King Jan Carlos.

I so wish the best for King Felipe and Queen Letizia...they will need all the support and prayers to gain back the love and respect that the monarchy once held!:ermm:

Last edited:
I don't think that would bother King Felipe in the least! He and Queen Letizia are going to be at the top of the social ladder!

Reading through about the negative views of Princess Letizia and, by extension, Prince Felipe for marrying her, I find myself more than a little surprised.

Of the past, present and future royal heirs of that generation in Europe, I think Queen Mathilde and HGD Stephanie were the only aristocrats that married into the reigning family. Elsewhere in Europe, countries seem to have taken their commoner CP's to their hearts.

These countries are all historic Constitutional Monarchies whereas Spain is one generation removed from a Military Dictatorship and returned to a Constitutional Monarchy. And yet there is a hard core of people who do not think Letizia, a commoner, is "suitable" or "acceptable" as future Queen.

Are there any legitmate reasons for the vocal animosity other than noses out of joint or plain old green-eyed monster?

Back
Top Bottom