Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Err... didn't you just tell us several minutes ago that support on the Spanish Monarchy was over 60%?

Ιn his interview today on Christiane Amanpour, King Constantine of Greece clearly implied that there are parts of the system that oppose and rival the Spanish monarchy. He was referring to the Spanish judiciary, that takes so long to reach a decision on the Inaki/Infanta Christina, and thought this is clearly an example of trying to harm the institution by dragging it in the mud for all this time rather than reaching a verdict..

If this is true, and there are indeed segments of Spanish establishment that defy the monarchy, it's not the best of news for the new royal couple and the institution..

Then I will take your word for it ;)

It's true they are a minority. These kind of protests are usually organized by far-left parties/independists/anarchists. They have always existed, they have always been noisy, some even violent, and have always protested against anything that doesn't suit their ideology.
It's not like big masses of "regular" people took on the streets spontaneously to manifest a true, general dislike of the monarchy. It was more like the same old extremists who are always protesting finding yet another reason to take on the steets. :lol:

Of course, there are peaceful, "regular" people who are republicans, but I think, in general, monarchy is perceived as a more stable, traditional system, and most people in Spain are not so inclined to change.

As proof of that, both major parties in Spain support the monarchy. Things would have to change radically to even consider turning Spain into a republic. Especially now that we live in a democracy, it's a lot more difficult to make such changes. The Constitution would have to be altered in its heart and you would need a huge majority for that. I don't think we are close to that at the moment.

Thankfully, we are not in the 19-early 20th centuries when Spain was truly a politically unstable mess.

The support for Prince Felipe is over 60% but not the support for the institution of Monarchy.

Good luck to Letizia & Felipe! I can't wait to see their inauguration ceremony!

Tamta, the Spanish judicial system is very slow... the duration of the case Noos process is the same than that of other court cases with similar characteristics. Obviously for the Royal House that's terrible, but it is the situation of justice.

Do you think the inauguration will be televised?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using The Royals Community mobile app

I remember reading an article (sorry, can't recall what it was called or where I was actually reading it) that said popularity for the Spanish Monarchy had dropped to 48%, I do hop that isn't true but with all these protests and demonstrations it's looking like the Spaniards really want rid of the House of Bourbon :(

I don't think that the above pictures prove that. The crowds at Plaza del Sol were not that huge. I've seen huge demonstrations, believe me, and this was nothing like it. Of course it shows a republican presence, no one doubts that. But don't forget that Madrid has a population of 5 million people, and leftist parties in last week's elections got 20% of the vote... The republican left will always be there somehow -but not a majority..

Let's hope the riots will be less present that day.

Let's hope the riots will be less present that day.

Protesters always protest -and they prefer the days that ensure publicity. It is up to the authorities not to let them stage their protests anywhere they like..
Republicans marched at the centre of London during the Jubilee festivities, but they were not allowed to do it close to any area and streets where the festivities would take place..
Spanish republicans had again protested at the wedding of Felipe with Letizia, but again they were allowed to do it only at the margins of the city..
Same thing should happen that day. And I'm sure that well-wishers to the new royal couple will be far more..

Personally, I think that the protests will die down. Felipe comes to the throne with an awful lot on his shoulders - let's face it, he's not going to fix Spain, nor should he be expected to.

Aren't the only protests of note in Madrid and Barcelona? Not surprising due to the present economic situation, every time I visited these cities in the last years there was some sort of demonstration going on. A referendum at this point doesn't make sense and it won't be fair as the issue is not the monarchy alone but the entire system. The rapid organisation of these protests show that existing organised anti-government groups are behind it.

The protests seem rather ungrateful, JC shot an elephant but that hardly erases his role in Spain, esp. the role he played in the process of democratisation of the country. A role that these very protestors are profiting from at the moment.

I was horrified and angry at those photos of the elephant, But I agree here 100%.

I am old enough to remember how popular and respected JC was, particularly after the coup attempt of 1981. I remember the People Magazine cover of him with the headline "EUROPE'S NEW HERO" like it was yesterday. He was considered untouchable...beyond reproach.

I think he deserves to be remembered for more than the mistakes and blunders of the last few years:sad:.

I think it is very important for republican and monarchy supporters alike to be able to demonstrate and have their voices heard publicly without fear of arrest or worse. In fact to my mind, there is more democracy in having the ability to protest unhindered than there is in having the ability to elect one's head of state once in a blue moon.
Accordingly, the protesters are using their democratic right to protest and that is a good thing. Naturally, as the majority of people support the system of monarchy, democracy is continually served by retaining said monarchy. I would go as far as to say that the monarchy is as democratic as a republic with similar levels of support.
I agree, demonstrations are a sign of a healthy democracy.
And since JC came to the throne by Franco's will and not by the peoples' will, I wonder if a referrendum would not be the best thing at the moment and the logical endpoint of JC's reign which was seen as a transition from dictatorship to democracy.
So why not let democracy work now? Let the Spanish people for once and all vote if they want a constitutional monarchy or not.
If the majority wants it (as the polls show, but a poll is just a poll) wouldn't that give Felipe and Leonor a better standing in the future?

If the majority wants it (as the polls show, but a poll is just a poll) wouldn't that give Felipe and Leonor a better standing in the future?
Yes, but what if the majority doesn´t want it?

I think that is the key point. We are facing in Spain a great economical, social and political too crisis.

I don´t think any power force wants to bring out the possibility of a change in the system such as stablishing a new Republic. The country doesn´t have the needed stability to raise that discussion right now, I´m afraid.

Yes, but what if the majority doesn´t want it?

I think that is the key point. We are facing in Spain a great economical, social and political too crisis.

I don´t think any power force wants to bring out the possibility of a change in the system such as stablishing a new Republic. The country doesn´t have the needed stability to raise that discussion right now, I´m afraid.

Do you think there would be all this protest if Felipe and Letizia were more popular?

I don't know; perhaps Felipe is popular. But I know Spaniards have never liked Letizia, and I wondered if this has made a difference in the general reaction to the abdication?

:previous: Regardless what people may think about the Princess, the protest are against the monarchy as institution, not against her.

The media have mainly focused on the protests against the Monarchy,have there been any pro monarchy celebrations in Spain?

There was a comment on the BBC this morning that whilkst there have been protests, they are far less than expected.

I don't know; perhaps Felipe is popular. But I know Spaniards have never liked Letizia, and I wondered if this has made a difference in the general reaction to the abdication?

I don't really know that much about the Spanish royalty. What exactly is there about Letizia that the Spanish don't like??

There was a comment on the BBC this morning that whilkst there have been protests, they are far less than expected.

So its not all bad news then :)

I don't really know that much about the Spanish royalty. What exactly is there about Letizia that the Spanish don't like??

Well, mostly they think she is cold and distant. Plus more conservative members of the public didn't think Felipe should have married a divorcee.
Then there was controversy over an alleged illegal abortion (from that first marriage).

All of that means they never warmed up to her.
I don't know whether Felipe is personally popular or not.

Well, I don´t dare to imagine how these protests would look like if there were even more....:whistling:
To me the picture from that Daily mail article looked pretty threatening!

The protests were organized by marxists and anarchists and were not against Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano.

I think its a part of human nature that when faced with a change, there will always be those out there that believe they have the right ideas on how to build a better mousetrap so to speak. I think I would be more worried should there be a society where change is just accepted at face value with the people resigned to what is presented to them in an apathetic manner.

Well, mostly they think she is cold and distant. Plus more conservative members of the public didn't think Felipe should have married a divorcee.
Then there was controversy over an alleged illegal abortion (from that first marriage).

All of that means they never warmed up to her.
I don't know whether Felipe is personally popular or not.
After 10 years of service to Spain, people just better get over their hate of Letizia and praise God that he didn't marry one of his models. Letizia has brains and will now be permitted to use and help Spain. Apparently she is a helper to Felipe and a protector of his children.
As far as divorce.....that is nothing like adultery of the King. Adultery is breaking a holy commandment whereas divorce can be obtain in certain circumstances by biblical writings and approved by church. I believe Sofia will stand beside Letizia and girls from now on and also Felipe's older sister, Elena will be closer to Felipe and Letizia then before. Elena might be the biggest help of all. I personally think she would love doing it. Doubt if Cristina will have that same honor.

Last edited:
:previous: Regardless what people may think about the Princess, the protest are against the monarchy as institution, not against her.
I believe you are right. The protests per se have nothing to do with Crown Princess Letizia. Spaniards are deeply sceptical about the clean slate of the old system. King Felipe and his government may fail to introduce effectual reforms to improve their lives.

Last edited:
Let them demonstrate.
And let´s have a look in one year´s timeframe. I am sure, they will be happy with the progress of King Felipe and Queen Letizia.
Similar to Netherlands and Belgium today.
BYe Bine

Back
Top Bottom