Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thousands demonstrate against Spanish royal family - Telegraph

I don't think the Spanish monarchy will go now, because of the scandals. At some point it might go as one of the first monarchies though, but only for the same reason all others will follow suit sooner or later: it is not democratic. The idea that people will inherit such an elite/priviledged position regardless of qualification and only because they were born into the 'right' family will only survive in dictatorships, not in democracies imo.

As discussed, 8000 isn´t that much.
Given the last 12 months news and scandals, it is not really surprising, whereas I do not see a drama here - yet.
Annus Horribilis for Spain, but things will change as well..... so let´s wait and see, what the next 12 months will bring.
BYe Bine

8000 is bad enough to start with in my opinion,its not good news what ever way we look at it,it could be double next time if the scandals get any worse.

but apparently they would have been there anyway for their annual march. These are republicans on their annual march - it isnt the "people" taking to the streets.

The SRF have time to sort this out. And business as usual is the best approach I think.

but apparently they would have been there anyway for their annual march. These are republicans on their annual march - it isnt the "people" taking to the streets.

The SRF have time to sort this out. And business as usual is the best approach I think.

Its still not good as its more bad publicity for the Spanish Royal family,but I agree business as usual is the best approach and I'm hoping the king can work some of his former magic!

As discussed, 8000 isn´t that much.
Given the last 12 months news and scandals, it is not really surprising, whereas I do not see a drama here - yet.
Annus Horribilis for Spain, but things will change as well..... so let´s wait and see, what the next 12 months will bring.
BYe Bine

8000. Rather a disappointing number for a hot blooded people like the Spanish. I watched much more exciting protests when the previous government brought in austerity measures. Those crowds were large and had passion for their cause. If after all the bad publicity the republican movement can only get 8000 people to attend their annual march I am much more confident in the ability of the SRF to survive.

Queen Ena died on this day in 1969,I wonder what she'd make of all this :sad:

King Carlos Should Abdicate in Favour of Prince Felipe

:ermm:I do hope that King Carlos makes an announcement that he would abdicate in favour of Prince Felipe "in due course". This decision may help to calm the disruptive mood of the Spanish people. Many kings and Czars have made the mistake by holding on to power instead of passing the throne to a heir or a member of the royal family favourable for the office. This mistake have caused them to loose their Crown and Throne and even banishment from their dear country. King Carlos looks aged and tired. He will do the remaining Monarch countries a good deed by stepping aside for his son. The earlly years in the last century, several countries ruled by Kings, Czars and Queens came tumbling down like dominoes.:sad:

:ROFLMAO:Experience is our best teacher. History is has a revolving door. Even the British Royal Establishment is on shaky ground. Hatered spread like cancer.

:ROFLMAO:Experience is our best teacher. History is has a revolving door. Even the British Royal Establishment is on shaky ground.

Dont you think you are the only one in 7 billion+ people on earth who thinks this way..that too at this moment..

AGREED. Juan Carlos is being a bit stubborn at the moment, he has a great chance to bring up the approval of the Spanish Royal Family. Is he afraid of losing power? What is it? One thing I have noticed is that their royal budget is getting lower and lower.

I think the monarchy could survive but it also depends on court decision about Inaki.
I think if Felipe and Letizia become king and queen situation will be better.

I think the monarchy could survive but it also depends on court decision about Inaki.
I think if Felipe and Letizia become king and queen situation will be better.

King Juan Carlos might just surprise everybody and abdicate before this year is over. As will King Albert of Belgium I think...

I hope his majesty will make a decision that would be the best for the country and for the royal family.
:previous: I also don't think that king Albert of the Belgians would abdicate in a near future, not with the education reform crises.

Juan Carlos IS the Spanish monarchy. He defined it. There is no history like in Britain or Denmark, where there was always a King. Juan Carlos transformed dictatorship into democracy, its is only that Franco had to chose a Borbon as successor to have support for his regime, not so much that the monarchy was to be re-installed. He could have chosen anybody else to continue after him, and this person may have taken the same choice as JC did.

If you travel to Britain or Sweden for example, you see all kind of postcards or merchandise regarding the royal family, in Spain you see nothing. The monarchy is not visible in everyday life and there is the impression that people simply do not care for such an outdated system as the monarchy.

If Juan Carlos goes, and I strongly believe that he only goes when he is either dead or his mind is completely gone - he won't go for physical reasons - Felipe may reign, but it will not be because there is overwhelming support for him but because from a political point of view, the system is too difficult to change.

Dear fellow bloggers.
Any news in the Spanish media about the Belgian abdication, synopsis in English please, would be much appreciated.

Ridder van Oranje.

Hola has a written some information regarding the boos directed at some public events to some members of the Spanish Royal Family, including the Queen and the Prince of Asturias, the King's House, considers "legitimate" citizens to express their disagreement with the institutions, but "bother "to be a" lack of education ".

On May 30, the public who attended an opera at the Liceu in Barcelona whistled and uttered cries against Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia to its entry into the enclosure, and more recently, on June 22, Queen was greeted with whistles at another concert at the National Auditorium.
I think that the Spanish Royals are not suffering from the errors in the past, the King's German friend, Inaki's... there is not an "improvement" of the image of the Crown...for the contrary they are lossing support and followers

This should be the next monarchy to be abolished in my opinion. It is obvious that the people are not thrilled with the SRF and you know, maybe its time for a huge change. Only my opinion of course. All I know is you wont get any tears from me if it ever does happen.

My guess is if the SRF is abolished it will be as part of a move to break Spain up into its constituent parts as independent nations.
Spaniards may have differences with the SRF at the moment but I cannot see that their political leaders would be terribly inspiring either. Afterall it is their political leadership that got the nation into its current mess not the SRF.

This should be the next monarchy to be abolished in my opinion. It is obvious that the people are not thrilled with the SRF and you know, maybe its time for a huge change. Only my opinion of course. All I know is you wont get any tears from me if it ever does happen.
In order to put your post into context, what is your connection to Spain?

My guess is if the SRF is abolished it will be as part of a move to break Spain up into its constituent parts as independent nations.
Spaniards may have differences with the SRF at the moment but I cannot see that their political leaders would be terribly inspiring either. Afterall it is their political leadership that got the nation into its current mess not the SRF.

Unless there is an Arabic Spring-like up uproar from the public, which is not to be expected, there won't be any abolishment. The process is far too complex and difficult. The political parties will always support a monarchy because it is useful for them.
The long-term problem for Felipe is not so much that people are against him or the monarchy but that they simply don't care - the future for the SRF is likely to stay in position but to be insignificant for society.

grevinnan, my family is rooted in Spain. Alot of them still live there. I will not go into depth of who my family is but I will say, we have a deep history and a true dislike for this family. I answer your question in truth as should be. I dont often say anything about our connection but since you asked, I have obliged. I hope this helps. Our family does not agree that Juan Carlos should have been given the right to be a King of Spain. Since this honour was given by a man that did not have the right to do so in the first place, we as a family protest and will continue until a change occurs. This Juan Carlos has become an insult to the people. His arrogance and his neglect for the people offends me. He is not worthy of respect. I hope I have answered your question sufficiently

Juan Carlos IS the Spanish monarchy. He defined it. There is no history like in Britain or Denmark, where there was always a King. Juan Carlos transformed dictatorship into democracy, its is only that Franco had to chose a Borbon as successor to have support for his regime, not so much that the monarchy was to be re-installed. He could have chosen anybody else to continue after him, and this person may have taken the same choice as JC did.

If you travel to Britain or Sweden for example, you see all kind of postcards or merchandise regarding the royal family, in Spain you see nothing. The monarchy is not visible in everyday life and there is the impression that people simply do not care for such an outdated system as the monarchy.

If Juan Carlos goes, and I strongly believe that he only goes when he is either dead or his mind is completely gone - he won't go for physical reasons - Felipe may reign, but it will not be because there is overwhelming support for him but because from a political point of view, the system is too difficult to change.

Thank you for this post. It is exactly what my experiences are & how I think of the situation too. I know quite a few Spanish people but none of them is enthausiastic about the RF. Though some are about JC. I remember that my Spanish teacher got tears in her eyes when talking about JC, and his role in the early days after Franco.

Juan Carlos is the last European monarch who had a big impact on his country. It is quite sad that due to an affair this is so easily forgotten here. I don't think he will abdicate, and I certainly hope that he won't do it now. He deserves better than to end his reign like this.

Probably 3 or 4 years ago, what you say was true ... but now everything has changed. The younger generation did not live through the transition, the role of King Juan Carlos I is distant and hardly they identify with him.

With the crisis, with corruption scandals ... Spanish society does not question only some aspects of the monarchy, they question all institutions, and a way to develop political and public work. With all the problems the monarchy is still one of the top rated public institutions, and they are always above any politician.

The changes in the monarchy should be part of a deeper institutional change, a necessary transformation and an impulse to the country's image.

Two years ago the word abdication was taboo... now it is not. Many changes are occurring, and the king had difficulty adapting to them, and in the end that affects the monarchy and the country.

The perception is that the Prince is a person able to lead that change, and that also means that there are more voices in favor of an abdication.

The article seems to me rather negatively predisposed... Do we know the orientation of this journal towards the monarchy?

Hola is the Spanish equivalent to the British 'Hello' and are in general very deferential towards the Royal Houses.

Probably 3 or 4 years ago, what you say was true ... but now everything has changed. The younger generation did not live through the transition, the role of King Juan Carlos I is distant and hardly they identify with him.

With the crisis, with corruption scandals ... Spanish society does not question only some aspects of the monarchy, they question all institutions, and a way to develop political and public work. With all the problems the monarchy is still one of the top rated public institutions, and they are always above any politician.

The changes in the monarchy should be part of a deeper institutional change, a necessary transformation and an impulse to the country's image.

Two years ago the word abdication was taboo... now it is not. Many changes are occurring, and the king had difficulty adapting to them, and in the end that affects the monarchy and the country.

The perception is that the Prince is a person able to lead that change, and that also means that there are more voices in favor of an abdication.

I think it will be extremely difficult to change anything in Spain, because of the system that was created by Juan Carlos after Franco. There is the monarchy behind the scenes and more or less two parties who have been looking more or less after themselves in the past decades, dominated by nepotism, old boys network, corruption etc, protected by the constitution. It didnt matter as long as the public was - in relative terms - well off. Now they are not but its the same as in so many other countries: the elite will always protect each other, therefore there is nobody who could step out of the network and come up with credible reforms.

I don't see how Felipe could be this person, as he represents (and has always been part of - and its out there for everyone to see what that means) the system Juan Carlos. I don't think he is bad for Spain, but I don't think he is relevant either. Naturally, he doesnt have JC's power behind the scenes, because it was a unique situation in 1975 and the following years, and I don't see that the political parties will allow Felipe the same influence his father had. He will be cut back and used as scapegoat in the political game.

It is different when monarchy has always been part of the history of a country, but this is not the case in Spain. Why would a modern democratic country, given the choice, go with such an outdated and undemocratic system as a monarchy? It's a scenario the elite has been truly worried about, and therefore the process to change ANYTHING has been made as complicated as possible. Spain isnt even able to change the constitution re the male heir to firstborn rule, what is not only against the law - men and women are equal - but can be considered sexist and discriminating in the 21st century.

To change things you do not need to make radical changes, need to transform and advance. Radical changes lead to instability and only cause more problems... probably that is something that history has taught the Spanish people.

Spain is now a constitutional democracy, but with advancing years the needs and demands of society have changed... and its institutions must be transformed to adapt. For many, the monarchy is still a useful institution in the country, but there are things that need to change.

Traditional political parties are failing, and emerging new groups are gaining more and more weight. People seek alternatives. And that is happening in many countries in Europe.

Spain live now at a point between two generations, the generation that grew up under the dictatorship and lived Transition changes ... and the generation educated in democracy.

The Prince belongs to that generation, for years has maintained contact with these young politicians will have to create change. He has been educated in a society very different from his father, and knowing that the Spain he was going to find was very different.

For example, today appears in the press one interview with the mayor of Girona, a catalan independentist. Probably at this time the Catalan question is one of the most complex political issues. This mayor praises the Prince to respect the Catalan language, and for making the effort to speak Catalan.

Right now, journalists conducting programs of political debate, say in interviews that they would like to interview the Prince, they believe it is necessary that people know who he is and what he thinks.

Back
Top Bottom