Future and Popularity of the Spanish Monarchy

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have been hearing strong rumors about The Third Republic. Can anyone from Spain talk about it?

In a survey, 79 per cent said they think the Príncipe de Asturias has the support and social legitimacy to succeed the king and 86 per cent, including 71 per cent of Izquierda Unida voters, say he will be prepared to eventually take on the functions of the head of state. The IU traditionally supports a republic rather than a monarchy.

It showed that the majority of Spaniards preferred a parliamentary monarch as the best system of government for the country. However support for this is on the decline. Over a two year period, support dropped from 72 to 57 per cent whilst those supporting a republic have grown from 11 to 35 per cent.

Juan Carlos' son: Fit to be king, according to poll

In a survey, 79 per cent said they think the Príncipe de Asturias has the support and social legitimacy to succeed the king and 86 per cent, including 71 per cent of Izquierda Unida voters, say he will be prepared to eventually take on the functions of the head of state. The IU traditionally supports a republic rather than a monarchy.

Not eventually, it's now. 86% says the Prince is ready to be King.

The economic downturn must have some factor in the drop in support for the Monarchy?

I would assume during better times support was higher.

The economic downturn must have some factor in the drop in support for the Monarchy?

I would assume during better times support was higher.

The Royals are not stupid and they will be on high alert these days, especially before the elections they rather avoid being seen with any politician who very frequently are present at royal events: young people in Spain are getting annoyed with politics, parties & politicians big time and there is a high risk that the Royals are being drawn into this discussion if they are not careful.

We all know what in the arab countries happened and still happens, it might start with protests against the government but can quickly end up with protests against the monarchy, like in Jordan. And Spain is not country, like any European country, that can afford to react like the arab countries did in the beginning.

Once the ball is rolling, it can become an independent movement impossible to control.

Thousands stage demonstrations in Spanish cities to protest political parties, crisis handling - The Washington Post

The Monaco situation has got me thinking about the future of the Spanish Monarchy.

Are they fearful for the future?

The King was afraid to celebrate his 70th Birthday,Letizia is afraid to wear her new tiara & now their afraid to send anyone to the Princely Wedding in Monaco?

There's no celebration of the Monarchs birthday or his accession to the throne.The Royal Family have put away all their jewels & seem afraid to wear anything incase of upsetting the public mood.

The future does not sound too good for the Borbóns in my opinion!

The Monaco situation has got me thinking about the future of the Spanish Monarchy.

Are they fearful for the future?

The King was afraid to celebrate his 70th Birthday,Letizia is afraid to wear her new tiara & now their afraid to send anyone to the Princely Wedding in Monaco?

There's no celebration of the Monarchs birthday or his accession to the throne.The Royal Family have put away all their jewels & seem afraid to wear anything incase of upsetting the public mood.

When the SRF attended William's wedding in full style, the problems in Spain were as obvious as they are today. William is not even heir to the throne yet, Albert is a reigning prince and the relations are supposed to be very friendly.

I dont think that the economy is the reason why they are not going if they are not going, to see Felipe sailing instead is not exactly down to earth either compared to attending a Head of States' wedding that is the job of SRF, representing their country.

Monaco may be fluff but Albert is still a reigning Prince. Its not that Stephanie is getting married for the third time on Saturday.

When the SRF attended William's wedding in full style, the problems in Spain were as obvious as they are today. William is not even heir to the throne yet, Albert is a reigning prince and the relations are supposed to be very friendly.

I dont think that the economy is the reason why they are not going if they are not going, to see Felipe sailing instead is not exactly down to earth either compared to attending a Head of States' wedding that is the job of SRF, representing their country.

Monaco may be fluff but Albert is still a reigning Prince. Its not that Stephanie is getting married for the third time on Saturday.

Exactly Duke,the economic situation in Ireland is just as bad as in Spain & we don't begrudge our Head of State & her husband a chance to attend the Princely Wedding.

I don't believe for one minute that the Spanish people are petty minded like that.Who ever went was there to represent Spain at the Wedding.The King could easily send any of the 4 Infantas inplace of Sofia/Felipe/Letizia.

What ever reason Zarzuela gives will only add fuel to the fire & we'll have more & more rumours .

Bad pr move on the behalf of the SRF!!

Although I agree that the non-attendance of SRF to the Princely wedding is a bit peculiar, I wouldn't call it the end of spanish monarchy...

Although I agree that the non-attendance of SRF to the Princely wedding is a bit peculiar, I wouldn't call it the end of spanish monarchy...

Perhaps not the end but its another nail in their coffin!

I agree, From what I've seen and read I don't think anyone is bothered by their not attending the wedding in Spain(besides us Spanish royal watchers). The press has decided that because it's a princely wedding instead of a royal wedding, the King doesn't need to send a substitute, and every newspaper is parroting this peculiar information, saying protocol in this case means if the King isn't going, nobody needs to go. :ermm:

I agree, From what I've seen and read I don't think anyone is bothered by their not attending the wedding in Spain(besides us Spanish royal watchers). The press has decided that because it's a princely wedding instead of a royal wedding, the King doesn't need to send a substitute, and every newspaper is parroting this peculiar information, saying protocol in this case means if the King isn't going, nobody needs to go. :ermm:

I think I'm going to stop being a Spanish royal watcher,I've followed them for many years :flowers:

A royal Family thats afraid to be Royal are sadly not worth the effort in my opinion.

There is article on the Saudi Arabia thread saying the Kings niece, Princess Sarah, is having her 'hen' party this weekend and rumors are Letizia is set to attend.....hmmm.....if true, wonder if that's why she isn't attending the wedding.....

Oops wrong thread- but I guess it's not totally off topic :) sorry!

There is article on the Saudi Arabia thread saying the Kings niece, Princess Sarah, is having her 'hen' party this weekend and rumors are Letizia is set to attend.....hmmm.....if true, wonder if that's why she isn't attending the wedding.....

Oops wrong thread- but I guess it's not totally off topic :) sorry!

Who's Princess Sarah?

I seriously doubt that Letizia would go to a hen party over a Princely State Wedding!

An Ard Ri said:
Who's Princess Sarah?

I seriously doubt that Letizia would go to a hen party over a Princely State Wedding!

The niece of the King of Saudia Arabia....as I said it was just in an article as a rumor

Edit- borrowed the post from that thread with link below
Kasumi said:
More than 400 arabian princesses will be at a barchelorette party of Princess Sarah Fahd bin Salman al-Saud at Costa del Sol.

Article in Spanish
Google translation

Last edited:
I think I'm going to stop being a Spanish royal watcher,I've followed them for many years :flowers:

A royal Family thats afraid to be Royal are sadly not worth the effort in my opinion.

An Ard Ri, you will be missed.

I COMPLETELY, 100% agree. Not worth my effort, and I don't see the point of them anymore.

Last edited:

JC is not afraid of nothing, he always does what he wants. Just a couple of weeks ago, he was trying to ban the access of the journalists to the audiences at Zarzuela.
There is no royal birthday celebration in Spain, because JC dislilkes all celebrations and pompous events. Sometimes he takes more 'guts' to eliminate the traditions than to keep them, for example the royal court.

Every country is different. I don´t see that the future of the monarchy depends on how the monarch celebrates his/her birthdays or how often the royal ladies use their tiaras or big jewelry.
The future of a monarchy depends on the job the royals are doing - the people must think that the royals are needed. The royals should concentrate to earn their money by attending important events and be as support when their people need them. Like Felipe and Letizia participating the sad events, funerals of soldiers or those whose die in big accidents.
I respect very much the job the spanish royals are doing - not to concentrating in big celebrations with champagne and glitter, but doing serious work.
The spanish royal family is one of the most interesting royal families in the world to me, and I certainly am not going to stop following them just because they don´t participate at some wedding.

Last edited:
Every country is different. I don´t see that the future of the monarchy depends on how the monarch celebrates his/her birthdays or how often the royal ladies use their tiaras or big jewelry.
The future of a monarchy depends on the job the royals are doing - the people must think that the royals are needed. The royals should concentrate to earn their money by attending important events and be as support when their people need them. Like Felipe and Letizia participating the sad events, funerals of soldiers or those whose die in big accidents.
I respect very much the job the spanish royals are doing - not to concentrating in big celebrations with champagne and glitter, but doing serious work.
The spanish royal family is one of the most interesting royal families in the world to me, and I certainly am not going to stop following them just because they don´t participate at some wedding.

I don't doubt that The Spanish RF are one of the hardest working RF's & I have admired & respected them from afar for a good few years.

But this is not 'some wedding' its the wedding of a Head of State,the son of Prince Rainier III whom The King was very close to.All the other Royal Families are sending someone but Spain dithers & will leave it to the 'last minute',which frankly is rude .

Had the RF announced last week that they weren't sending anyone that would be fine,but here we are 2 days before the Civil Ceremony of Queen Victoria Eugenia's godson & still no word either way :sad:

I too am interested in the Spanish Royal Family and will keep on following their activities regardless of whether they attend royal weddings or not. They are not the most social, or bejeweled royals so one will be disappointed that most activities are official and not so
glamorous.

Ofcourse there's a future for the Monarchy in Spain after Felipe and Letizia take over,no problem.Whatever "they" say on it,it doesn't depend on "them"...its bullocks that it will end with JC..really,too many rags and too many free time on their hands...comprendo..bueno!..Las locas y los locos del mundo....:whistling::p

I just wonder what it will be like under king Phillip (Felipe) and queen letizia and crown princess leonor

2 new articles on future of monarchy

This one seems to place the emphasis on Felipe and Letizia to be more closer to people, show more emotion, be one of them
Google Translate

Another is a survey: 72.8% of the Spanish considered the Prince of Asturias are prepared to assume increasing responsibilities, 67.7% think are the best representatives of Spain brand
Google Translate

2 new articles on future of monarchy

This one seems to place the emphasis on Felipe and Letizia to be more closer to people, show more emotion, be one of them
Google Translate

Another is a survey: 72.8% of the Spanish considered the Prince of Asturias are prepared to assume increasing responsibilities, 67.7% think are the best representatives of Spain brand
Google Translate

Thank you for the link. I'm not really surprised about the new poll results relating to the monarchy in Spain. I seem to remember there was another poll published by El Mundo about 3-4 years giving similar percentages. The monarchy is in a pretty healthy condition in Spain despite internet gossip to the contrary.

A few other stats that are interesting;

- 59.8% of young people feel the best thing about Felipe and Letizia is the closeness to the people.

- Austerity and experience - other two qualities Spaniards value more about them.

-90.5% of people supports Letizia's decision of using Spanish designers.

I have no doubt that Felipe will reign, the question is what will happen with Leonor and her offspring, a topic that applies to all monarchies, not only Spain.
With time moving on, people may want to get rid of monarchies and another issue is the willingness of the protagonists to make personal sacrifices, something that went to the extreme for Juan Carlos and what is not imaginable in modern times any longer.
Unlike heirs like Juan Carlos's generation, royal children like Leonor grow up in a world where everything seems possible and restricting themselves to what seems their destiny while at the same time being under constant scrutiny of the public, openly questioning their existence, may become pointless and cruel at some point.
Furthermore, the concept of monarchy may lose its grasp as soon as a heir comes along with a character that doesnt match the expectations of a public, something that could still be covered up some decades ago but not any longer.
It will be very, very difficult to keep up a disciplined family appearance, something that is already proving difficult for the present SRF, who knows what will come with Leonor as Queen and her sister Sofia being forced into the system too, maybe to a lesser extend but still on full media glare what may make the job even more difficult as being Queen.

Every monarchy is under threat. Whether we like it or not, the concept of a hereditary head of state is becoming today much more of an anachronism and undemocratic than it ever was. And it's only going to get worse as global financial difficulties will increase the pressure on governments to scrutinise how much monarchies are worth to tax payers.

But none of this relates ONLY to Spain, which is what this thread is about. Where it comes to Spain and, specifically Spain, I am encouraged by stats reported above - that the majority of Spaniards think Felipe and Letizia are ready to assume greater responsibilities and that almost 68% think they best represent Spain. Considering Spaniards have a very low opinion of politicians overall, I think the monarchy is in a healthy condition going to the next generation.

What would happen in Leonor's time? That's way too far ahead in the future and none of us have a crystal ball to predict it.

Article on the well known fact that the King shies away from giving public affection to his son Felipe and his heiress-granddaughter Leonor. Although during summer holiday we could see that JC obviously is close to his grandchildren, to this date there is - unlike in many other monarchy - no public gesture towards his son or Leonor with respect to the succession - be it in a statement or stressed by pictures.
The only picture that exists is when Leonor was born and JC doesnt look one bit excited.

It seems that the old man sees himself firm in his seat and even though I dont think anybody in Zarzuela still believes that Letizia will have a son who would have an impact on succession, the topic is more or less surpressed, Leonor hasnt gone (publicly) to Asturias with her parents etc.
¿Por qué no hay fotos del rey con su nieta la heredera?

Article on the well known fact that the King shies away from giving public affection to his son Felipe and his heiress-granddaughter Leonor. Although during summer holiday we could see that JC obviously is close to his grandchildren, to this date there is - unlike in many other monarchy - no public gesture towards his son or Leonor with respect to the succession - be it in a statement or stressed by pictures.
The only picture that exists is when Leonor was born and JC doesnt look one bit excited.

It seems that the old man sees himself firm in his seat and even though I dont think anybody in Zarzuela still believes that Letizia will have a son who would have an impact on succession, the topic is more or less surpressed, Leonor hasnt gone (publicly) to Asturias with her parents etc.
¿Por qué no hay fotos del rey con su nieta la heredera?

I didn't even need to open the link to know it was from Vanitatis. Who else would feel the need to write such a pointless and negative article? If anyone can find any of their articles about the princess of Asturias, her husband or her daughters without negative connotations I would be very surprised.
The King shows the same affection to all of her children and grandchildren in public and that's something everybody can see. He doesn't need to make any statement as we all know that after her father Leonor is next in line to the throne, noboy has any doubt about it.
I've never heard or seen anyone complaining of this lack of statement, it's a completely bizarre and new way of Vanitatis to imply that the king hates his son, his daughter in law and their daughters :rolleyes:

There have been plenty of signals if anyone is interested, the most powerful one who are her godparents: the King and Queen of Spain. Another way of communicating things without talking is the photo the King displays every year on a table next to him during his Christmas speech: the year of Leonor's birth it was a picture of the King, Felipe and Leonor.

Vaniatis is pure yellow press living off Letizia. Not only their grammar is awful for any kind of semi serious publication but when it comes to news, what they don't know, they invent it. Paloma Barrientos is a parasite feeding off her lines on the SRF and Letizia. Fortunately for her, the SRF NEVER take people like her, or Penafield, to Court seeking damages for libel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom