The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_Ahern
I think Wikipedia may be making a mistake when it says Raine was Dame Barbara's only child. The latest issue of Parade Magazine has a little blurb answering a question from a reader in which it states that Cartland's unpublished manuscripts were being edited by "her son Ian McCorquodale".
Oddly enough, Barbara Cartland married into the McCorquodale family, which Sarah Spencer also married into.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Nobility

She wore a very lovely, elegant blue dress to the Royal Wedding in 1981. It's too bad she didn't stick to that simplicity for her wedding to Chambrun.

Old 08-28-2005, 05:02 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
The Wiki entry on Barbara Cartland states that she and her second husband had two sons, Ian and Glen, but the entry on Raine says that she is the only child from Barbara's first marriage. Both statements are true. :)
Whoops!:) Should have dug deeper. I guess Raine took her stepfather's name...
Old 08-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
Oddly enough, Barbara Cartland married into the McCorquodale family, which Sarah Spencer also married into.
I didn't know it was the same family, though of course I'd caught that the name was the same. Yahooing the name of Sarah McCorquodale's husband in the past has yielded little. Must keep digging.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Apparently both Barbara Cartland's husbands had the same last name; according to one site I was looking at, they were cousins. Saves having to buy new monogrammed stuff, I suppose, if you can marry the same last name both times.

I assume Neil McCorquodale is related to those McCorquodales somehow, although I'm not sure how.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:56 AM

Re:

Are there any more pics of Raine?

I was an under-butler and she was a good friend of my old employer so we saw her quite alot. I won't say exactly what she said word for word because I'm not Paul Burrell but I will say that she wasn't 'acid' at all and was a real darling. I've got a Xmas card from her which always makes me feel a little bit 'butterflies in the stomach' - very impressive character.

And the hair is as huge in real life as in photographs!