King D. Joao V 'The Magnanimous' and Queen D.ª Maria Ana

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
João V Francisco Antonio José Bento Bernardo, King of Portugal and the Algarves 9 Dec 1706 (Lisbon, 22 October 1689 - Lisbon, 31 July 1750); married by proxy in Neuburg on 9 July 1708 and in person in Lisbon on 27 October 1708 Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria (Linz, 7 September 1683 - Lisbon, 14 August 1754)

Reign: 1706 - 1750

Predecessor: King Pedro II of Portugal and the Algarves

Succeeded by: King José I of Portugal and the Algarves

Children: Queen Barbara of Spain, King José I,Prince Pedro, Prince Carlos, King Pedro III and Prince Alexandre of Portugal

Parents King João V: King Pedro II of Portugal and Princess Maria Sofia of the Paltinate-Neuburg

Parents Queen Maria Ana: Emperor Leopold I of Austria, Holy Roman Emperor and Princess Eleonore Magdalena of the Paltinate-Neuburg

Half-Sister King João V: Princess Isabel Luisa of Portugal, Princess of Beira

Siblings King João V: Prince João of Portugal, Prince of Brazil; Prince Francisco, Prince Antonio, Princess Teresa, Prince Manuel and Princess Francisca of Portugal

Half-Siblings of Queen Maria Ana: Archduke ferdinand Wenzel of Austria, Electress Maria Antonia of Bavaria, Archduke Johann Leopold and Archduchess Maria Anna of Austria

Siblings Queen Maria Ana: Emperor Joseph I, Archduchess Christina, Archduchess Elisabeth, Archduke Leopold Joseph, Archduchess Maria Theresia, Emperor Charles VI, Archduchess Maria Josepha, Archduchess Maria Magdalena and Archduchess Maria Margaretha of Austria

Last edited:
Fidelíssimus John V (Portuguese João, pronounced [ʒuˈɐ̃ũ]) the Magnanimous (Port. o Magnânimo) (October 22, 1689 – July 31, 1750), 24th (or 25th according to some historians) king of Portugal and the Algarves, was born John-Francis-Anthony in Lisbon and succeeded his father Peter II in December 1706, and was proclaimed on January 1, 1707.
His father had long suffered from lack of heirs, and the relatively new royal house of Braganza was indeed on the verge of going extinct—the king had only one surviving (though sickly) daughter from his first marriage, John's half-sister Isabel Luisa, Princess of Beira. However, after the death of his first wife, the old king remarried, and John's mother was able to produce two children, including John himself. When John was born, he became Prince of Brazil as the king's heir-apparent, as well as the 13th Duke of Braganza.
Since his father had been elderly, John succeeded at quite a young age, only 17. One of his first kingly acts was to intimate his adherence to the Grand Alliance, which his father had joined in 1703. Accordingly, his general Das Minas, along with Lord Galway, advanced into Castile, even taking Madrid, but sustained the defeat of Almanza (April 14).
In October 1708 he married his cousin Mary Anne of Austria (1683-1754), daughter of Leopold I, thus strengthening the alliance with Austria.
The series of unsuccessful campaigns that ensued, ultimately terminated in a favourable peace with France in 1713 and with Spain in 1715.

Read he entire wikipedia article here.

Mary Anne of Austria (September 7, 1683, Linz - August 14, 1754, Lisbon) Archduchess of Austria and Queen consort of Portugal.
She was born Maria Anna Josepha, the daughter of Leopold I, Holy Roman Emperor and Eleonore-Magdalena of Pfalz-Neuburg. Mary Anne was sister of the emperors Joseph I and Charles VI.
On October 27, 1708 she married John V of Portugal and became thus Queen consort of Portugal.

Read the entire wikipedia article here.

King Joao V had the enormous monastery-palace of Mafra built as the result of a vow he made. The vow was that if his wife would give him descendants he would built a monastery. When his daughter Barbara (later Queen of Spain) was born, he ordered the construction of Mafra.

website of the national museum of Mafra

wikipedia site on Mafra

picture site

There is (was ?) a very interesting exhibition in Mafra, a propos of the 200th years of the RF departure to Brazil in Convento de Mafra.

I visited it last month and it was great. I could see a few rooms that usually are closed .
Be prepared as, before starting the tour, the guide tells you you are going to walk 2kms inside the palace.

And the tour does not include the Church ;-)

Joao V admired the lavish traditions of the French court and to some extent styled himself on King Louis XIV.

There is (was ?) a very interesting exhibition in Mafra, a propos of the 200th years of the RF departure to Brazil in Convento de Mafra.

I visited it last month and it was great. I could see a few rooms that usually are closed .
Be prepared as, before starting the tour, the guide tells you you are going to walk 2kms inside the palace.

And the tour does not include the Church ;-)

ahah, nice tidbit. When I visited it, the thing I found most amusing was when in front of the palace (in those stairs), the guide told us that the Queen's room was on one side of the palace and the King's room on another with 232 metros of distance between them:p

Anyway, the convent is really worth a visit.

Queen Maria Anna had a feud with her daughter-in-law Mariana Victoria.

Back
Top Bottom