The Duchess of Gloucester Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's hope it is gifted back to the royal collection! It would be shame for it to be sold and broken down.

It would indeed be sad if the jewels were sold off, but sometimes one has to let things go. And to be honest, I don't see why they should be 'gifted back'. They are lawful possessions of the Gloucesters, and the Gloucesters have every right to give them to their children. Why deprive the kids of their heritage, and give the jewels to distant relatives who are x-times as rich as your kids will ever be? Your children might have to sell the stuff, but at least they will have the money in order to give the grandchildren and great-grandchildren a better start in live. I really hope that the mainline of the family would think about buying back some of the most important heirlooms, but I am also convinced that the Gloucester kids deserve the financial benefit from the jewels.

I agree Tilia.
Duchess Brigitte of Gloucester a Dane communor did not marry the Heir of the House.
As her brother in law died in an accident she is a great Duchess.

Its a beautiful tiara and my favourite one in the Gloucester jewel collection.

The Iveagh Tiara looked amazing when Lady Rose wore it at her wedding. I guess in times to come, if there is no need to sell it, it will be kept for sentimental reasons if nothing else.

The Iveagh tiara makes a gorgeous wedding tiara and Lady Rose wore it beautifully. I was really disappointed that Lady Davina decided against a wedding tiara. :sad:

Also I still wonder which tiara the Countess of Ulster wore at her wedding. It looks like nothing I have ever seen on either of the Duchesses. Could it be from her own family?

I assume that the family will hang on to at least some of the heirlooms, so that future brides will have something to wear.

Death duties in Britain are punitive. Its the reason why so my heirlooms are sold. Unfortunately its probably the fate that the Gloucester's jewels will come to

It would indeed be sad if the jewels were sold off, but sometimes one has to let things go. And to be honest, I don't see why they should be 'gifted back'. They are lawful possessions of the Gloucesters, and the Gloucesters have every right to give them to their children. Why deprive the kids of their heritage, and give the jewels to distant relatives who are x-times as rich as your kids will ever be? Your children might have to sell the stuff, but at least they will have the money in order to give the grandchildren and great-grandchildren a better start in live. I really hope that the mainline of the family would think about buying back some of the most important heirlooms, but I am also convinced that the Gloucester kids deserve the financial benefit from the jewels.

Tilia - I quite agree with you "gifting back" the jewels to the mainline implies a sort of present giving ! Why should the heirs to the Dukedom of Gloucester have to suffer in this way - the jewels will form the major part of their inheritance and indeed the simplest heirlooms to dispose of. None of these jewels were ever really favoured pieces worn by generations of Royals and have only really become known as we have seen the Duchess and her late mother in law wear them!

No this brooch was an early present to the Duchess, it dates from the early 1970's.

Ah thankyou, I hadn't seen it before and couldn't find a picture of her wearing it so I presumed that it was a new piece.

Perhaps it was sold off following the death of Princess Alice in 2004,strange it has not been seen in a long time.

I have to say it seems such a versatile tiara that if they had to sell of any of the others I hope they keep this one.

Lovely emeralds and thankfully still being worn and owned by a British royal,the duchess has an amazing jewel selection.

The duchess indeed has a wonderful collection and they were able to keep everything together for now. I suppose her children will have much less opportunity to wear these jewels in the future as they do not have a public role.

Does anyone know how Princess Alice, Duchess of Gloucester acquired the large diamond earrings that the current Duchess wears so often? They are one large diamond (round or cushion shaped) surrounded by 10-14 smaller brilliants as near as I can tell. Royal-magazin.de has a pair of cluster earrings listed as a wedding gift from Alice's mother, but we don't see any photos of her wearing them until quite a bit later in her life so I am not sure these are the ones. As there is no attribution for that information I don't think it is correct for these earrings. Anyone else have any information?

Last edited:
No one of her Children will wear tiaras anymore, will they go the th main Branch ?

No one of her Children will wear tiaras anymore, will they go the th main Branch ?
I've always believed that we'd see them sell off most of the bigger jewels. Neither the daughters or the daughter-in-law of the present duke seems to favour big jewellery. That said I've seen people write on twitter that the jewels are held in trust by the Gloucester family so we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

I've always believed that we'd see them sell off most of the bigger jewels. Neither the daughters or the daughter-in-law of the present duke seems to favour big jewellery. .

I think they have not the occasions to wear big Jewelry. They are also rather private and we only see them a big Events like the Jubilee's or sometimes at Trooping.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom