Queen Sofia Jewellery 1: Ending Jun 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mellerio Shell Tiara is my least favourite Spanish tiara,the rubies are very lovely but I don't like the way Queen Sofia wears them as a tiara,they seem to be lost in her hairdo and maybe need a better base.

I dont think that the rubies can be classified as 'tiara', but rather as something very versatile that can be worn as necklace, kind of tiara or even as a bracelet.
Britains Prince Charles Kisses The Hand Of Queen Sofia Of
http://dinastias.forogratis.es/los-rubies-niarchos-t1007-84.html

Maybe a Ruby bandanna would be a better description.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe a Ruby bandanna would be a better description.

It looked much better when she once at a State Visit to Luxembourg wore the big Version in 2 rows as tiara.

It looked much better when she once at a State Visit to Luxembourg wore the big Version in 2 rows as tiara.

Thanks Stefan,I must see if I can find a photo of that visit!

Queen Sophia

karamahalim.jpg

its like the same tiara .s

I don't believe Sofia is wearing a pearl necklace. It appears to be diamonds, possibly with a crucifix at the end. I haven't found out much about this necklace (whether it is Sofia's property or if it belongs to Greece or Spain), but I'll keep looking.

bodaatenashqdetallereco.png

I remember reading years ago an extract about the wedding where it was mentioned that the jewels Sofia was wearing that day were " gifts of Their Majesties". And I think that Queen Sofia herself mentioned in a biography that she got diamonds for her Father as a gift . So I am guessing that since the tiara came from her mother, the rest of her jewellery ( earrings necklace and bracelet ) were her father's gift . BTW there is also an alternative pendant for that necklace, so if I am correct this was supposed to be a 'diamond parure" that Sofia got as a wedding gift from her on family

True about the lack of colored tiaras but.......oh they have some gorgeous pieces. I wish we go to see them more.

I never cared for the rubies worn as a tiara as well, but as a necklace they are just stunning.

The rubies aren't bad as long as Sofia puts both pieces together as a double when she wears them as a tiara. There is a wonderful photo of just what I mean in Tiara Mania's great list of links to their blog.
I am not a fan of wearing what looks like a single row, jeweled necklace as a tiara. It just doesn't look right in most any stone. Looks better as a necklace.
The Spanish rubies are in my top three favorites. CP Mary's tiara is #1, and QEII rubies are #2. Of course, that is just rubies. No holds barred on the other bling.

what jewllery are her own and what jewllery is connected with the crown?

Josefine four tiaras below are definitely QS personal property - there were her wedding gifts.
1.diamond floral tiara /necklace/ brooches,
2.diamond prussian (greek key) tiara,
3.diamond pearl (la chata) tiara,
4.Niarchos diamond ruby bandeau/tiara/necklace.

The grandest of spanish collection - Fleur de Lys was left by Q Ena to be wear by future spanish queens. So it is only piece connected with crown. Probably two other "big guns" MC diamond pearl tiara (inherited by JC from his mother) and Cartier diamond pearl tiara (JC bought from his aunt) will rather goes to Q Letizia as first lady.
Personally I think all jewels will stay as a one collection to be use by all ladies of royal house of Spain with some pieces reserved only for queens.

All the jewels are privately owned. The Spanish royals don't have any kind of foundation for their jewels, nor are any jewels owned by the crown or the state.

The other three tiaras, the Cartier pearl tiara of Queen Ena, the Cartier loop tiara and the grand fleur-de-lys tiara, were either directly inherited from Queen Ena and the Countess of Barcelona, or they were bought back from other relatives by the King.

They will certainly will make sure that the new Queen has tiaras to wear. But we probably will not know if they shift the ownership or simply continue to share like now. And I do not expect Queen Letizia to pull out one of the three big tiaras soon, as Queen Sophia has not worn them lately. They most likely keep the appearance of austerity and modesty for some time.

But maybe they will publish the first official portrait of Letizia with tiara? I would love that!

They will certainly will make sure that the new Queen has tiaras to wear. But we probably will not know if they shift the ownership or simply continue to share like now. And I do not expect Queen Letizia to pull out one of the three big tiaras soon, as Queen Sophia has not worn them lately. They most likely keep the appearance of austerity and modesty for some time.

But maybe they will publish the first official portrait of Letizia with tiara? I would love that!

I was thinking the same thing. We won't know for quite awhile what tiaras Queen Sofia passes on to Princess Letizia because the Spanish royals have so few tiara events. I don't expect any kind of formal passing down of jewels but simply for the royal ladies to keep sharing as they do now with Princess Letizia moving up into some of the bigger pieces and Queen Sofia sticking with the smaller pieces.

I too hope that the will release an official portrait of the new queen wearing a tiara.

What will become of Sofia's jewels post abdication,will her daughter in law get some grand pieces?

it would be great if letizia wore her own new tiara in an official photo to make a cut with sofia's jewellery. i guess not everything will be given to letizia and cristina and elena will inherit some pieces after the king's death. felipe will have to pay a lot of money to his sisters to get those pieces back and keep them in the core family,just like jc did to other relatives.

Does Spain have a law that requires equal inheritance? If not then I expect Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina will only inherit smaller less historically important pieces of jewellery. With royalty no longer marrying only royalty it just doesn't make sense to divide the collection equally. The infantas will have little reason to wear the big pieces and they would have to pay inheritance taxes on them.

I wonder if there are any jewels which Queen Sofia has not worn in decades? Perhaps some pieces left to her by her mother or mother in law?

:previous:
There are a few sets of turquoise and diamond jewellery that HM has not worn in many years. Also some of the collet necklaces have been collecting dust in their boxes for ages (I believe Doña Sofia last used the largest one 10 years ago in Copenhagen). I'm not 100%, but IIRC, the Fleur-de-Lis tiara was last used in 2006, in Thailand.

it would be great if letizia wore her own new tiara in an official photo to make a cut with sofia's jewellery. i guess not everything will be given to letizia and cristina and elena will inherit some pieces after the king's death. felipe will have to pay a lot of money to his sisters to get those pieces back and keep them in the core family,just like jc did to other relatives.

I don't know the inheritance-taxation in Spain, but maybe the Family might consider to set up a foundation. Thus avoiding that the collection can ever be dispersed.

The legacy of Queen Victoria Eugenia jewels passed to Head of House, for use of the queen.

Probably other historical gems buy by the king, inherited from his mother and property of Queen Sofía will join the collection of royal jewels owned by the king, but that are available for the family. It would not be surprising if they create a foundation to maintain that legacy.

Queen Sofia has a good collection of personal jewelry ... has a large collection of earrings, necklaces, brooches ... many of pearls or semiprecious stones, not of such high quality, but much more practical for her daughters to inherit. Also personal gifts like Niarcos, some from the king or pieces inherited from her mother.

[...] because the Spanish royals have so few tiara events.[...]

The Spanish monarchy receives the same amount or even more State- and Official Visits than most other monarchies. It is not that they have fewer events for grand jewels. The Spaniards can pack out with grand jewels as well, see this picture from a State Visit by Queen Beatrix and Prince Claus to Madrid:

Source ANP Historic Archive: http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/tqgr/image/655/2143621-800-794.jpg

Does Spain have a law that requires equal inheritance? If not then I expect Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina will only inherit smaller less historically important pieces of jewellery. With royalty no longer marrying only royalty it just doesn't make sense to divide the collection equally. The infantas will have little reason to wear the big pieces and they would have to pay inheritance taxes on them.

The United Kingdom is, as so often, again an exception in Europe. Most European states follow the Code Napoléon: the children have an automatic right to a part of the Estate, even if they are not expressly mentioned in a Testament. It is not allowed to make fideï commissionary regulations (benefitting one heir at the cost of other heirs with an equal grade of consanguity). In the UK a Peer can settle that the whole ancestral estate goes to the eldest son and successor to the Peerage. On the Continent this is very diffficult, this is also an answer why in the UK many Peers still have large estates in comparison to their counterparts on the Continent.

Of course there are legal solutions, like the placement of an estate into a juridical vehicle, like a family foundation. Such a foundation can not die and is therefore not subjected to inheritance taxes. The statues of such a foundation can precisely describe the intentions, arrangements and workings for the benefit of specific named persons. For an example: "the properties placed into the foundation are given at the disposal of the Bearer of the Crown and are subservient to the execution of the royal dignity. The properties placed into the Foundation can not be estranged or sold."

A jewel foundation doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!

The United Kingdom is, as so often, again an exception in Europe. Most European states follow the Code Napoléon: the children have an automatic right to a part of the Estate, even if they are not expressly mentioned in a Testament. It is not allowed to make fideï commissionary regulations (benefitting one heir at the cost of other heirs with an equal grade of consanguity). In the UK a Peer can settle that the whole ancestral estate goes to the eldest son and successor to the Peerage. On the Continent this is very diffficult, this is also an answer why in the UK many Peers still have large estates in comparison to their counterparts on the Continent.

Of course there are legal solutions, like the placement of an estate into a juridical vehicle, like a family foundation. Such a foundation can not die and is therefore not subjected to inheritance taxes. The statues of such a foundation can precisely describe the intentions, arrangements and workings for the benefit of specific named persons. For an example: "the properties placed into the foundation are given at the disposal of the Bearer of the Crown and are subservient to the execution of the royal dignity. The properties placed into the Foundation can not be estranged or sold."

Thank you for the very informative answer! I'm American and we don't have any of these sorts of rules over inheritance so it's all new to me. I could leave my possessions divided amongst my children equally, everything to one of my children or nothing at all to any of my children. A family foundation certainly sounds like a good solution that I hope they will use to keep the jewellery collection intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom