Queen Margrethe II Jewellery 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has she ever worn the Ruby tiara? I saw a picture of Benedike wear it but not her.If so, then it makes me wonder why Benedike wore it and not the Queen.

Just when you thought it was safe to be on Margrethe's jewelry thread.....the dreaded poppies make their appearance!:eek:

Has she ever worn the Ruby tiara? I saw a picture of Benedike wear it but not her.If so, then it makes me wonder why Benedike wore it and not the Queen.

Benedicte wore it because Queen Ingrid was dressing her up for a play at home. The jewels belonged to Ingrid and she left them to Frederik which is why Margrethe never wore them.

This jewellery set is so ...not pleasing to the eye - and the combination with the spider web dress does not improve it - but you just have to give the queen credit for even contemplating wearing it!:p I wonder what QMII sees when she looks at her mirror image :)

This said, I still think that the 'poppies' in the 'tiara' individually are beautiful and beautifully made. I could imagine Marie or Mary wearing a single flower in a long chain for example.

That necklace thingy has to be the ugliest thingy ever. My Queen, how could you?

Well, at least we should be grateful she spared us the sight of all those poppies on her head for this occasion.:D

Last edited:
I must say, although I love Queen Margrethe dearly, those poppies... Those poppies need to go. Permanently. Without a chance of return. Ever.

Hopefully she won't be taking them to any of the upcoming diamond jubilee celebrations for HM. But then again, we never know.... Lol :)

I never liked the poppies I would rather see her in a different piece but the poppies.

According to the paper edition of BT the Queen has been given a new tiara from Greenland's parliament, Greenlandic Government and five private companies.

It is not finished yet, but will be made from 200 flowers of Greenlandic gold and diamonds. The Queen herself will be involved in deciding on the look of the tiara that is being made by goldsmith Nicolai Appel.
It should be finished in March.

Quoting myself here...

It's late April now. Has anyone heard more about this tiara?

Thank heaven she opted for sapphires rather than poppies, and how beautiful they are. It looks like she's wearing a jeweled ornament in her hair, too.

Well here is the new tiara: Dronningen fik grønlandsk guldgave - Nationalt | www.b.dk

Not my idea of beauty, but I will wait until I see it on to judge.

Melted coins and rubies

Queen's new tiara weighs about a quarter kilogram and consists of melted gold coins and diamonds and rubies, all of Greenlandic origin. Nicolai Appel is a goldsmith and the man behind the DKK 300,000 work. He likes that the materials have a background.

- Ordinary gold may seem a bit like particleboard. We do not know what the plate is put together by. The gold for this tiara has its own history, says Nicolai Appel to b.dk.

- It comes from the mine in Kirkespirdalen in South Greenland. There was made coins in connection with the International Polar Year, which went from first March 2007 to 1 March 2009. The motif was a little polar bear, says Appel.

May be divided into five brooches

- Some of the coins have since remained in the vaults. I had such a good dialogue with the National Bank. They thought it was a good idea to use some of them to the Queen's jewelery. When you now have gold from Greenland's mines, why not use it?, Says Nicolai Appel.

The piece may also be divided into five pins. The motifs are impressions of Greenland flowers and other plants. It all comes in a box, designed by Ina Rosing in cooperation with the cabinetmaker Rasmus Fenhann. The gift is sponsored by the Greenland government and home rule, and five companies with relations to the Greenlandic business.

More pictures:
http://sermitsiaq.ag/node/128433

Last edited:
wow,a lot of gold and poppies! i gues she loves poppies! stunning piece!!! i wonder how heavy uis to carry it?

I'm not sure what's my opinion of the tiara.
With the right gown and hairstyle it has the potential to look quite stunning.
For some reason though, I can image Princess Mary wearing this tiara - but not Queen Margrethe.

Melted rubies? Or why don't I see any rubies on the design? :ermm: I thought you couldn't melt rubies very easily at least. It looks like Golden Poppies number II. Lovely design but not sure I like it like that.

I think I like this new tiara - love that it is made of gold from Greenland and depicts Greenlandic flowers.

Most of all I love that QMII is adding to the royal house's tiara collection; with tree young granddaughters growing up, the family need to replenish.

I'm going to have to reserve judgment until this tiara is worn; it certainly is a mass of gold and may have possibilities. And there is a picture of Margrethe trying on the dangling earrings; it's in Danish Girl's post.

Last edited:
I wonder if this tiara might turn out to be something of a surprise and, with the right gown, shine a little...?

It's a magnificent tiara and an imaginative, clever way to use gold. I am sure Margrethe loves it because it is an unusual design being bright and bold and will be a "suitable" alternative to the golden poppy jewellery.

I'd say it's a small step above the Poppies by simply not being a UHO (Unidentifiable Head Ornament). Still, I'll wait until it's worn before giving it my full judgement.

I think I like this new tiara - love that it is made of gold from Greenland and depicts Greenlandic flowers.

Most of all I love that QMII is adding to the royal house's tiara collection; with tree young granddaughters growing up, the family need to replenish.

Me too! The Swedes have a 'cut steel' tiara, so why shouldn't the Danes have a 'cut gold' tiara ;)

I think it is quite lovely. Something special.

I should hope that this tiara will one day be left to the crown foundation and not so Mary can wear it in particular, but so that it stays within the main branch of the family for each generation to come.

Last edited:
I miss the art deco jewelry period. This reminds me of all the other tiaras that are rather "new". Not enough funds to make it really special. Not that the goldwork isn't beautiful, I can see wearing a couple of the brooches but not my idea of a tiara!!!

It's a slight improvement over the Poppies, but not by much. And the fact that it can be broken into five brooches screams 'head ornament' to me. She probably will at some point wear the brooches in her hair. I just hope she doesn't wear the two pieces togethor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom