Queen Elizabeth II - Brooches 1: December 2003-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In Fields book on page 23 it says, "they are from Cartier and were given to her by her parents on her 18th birthday in 1944".
Aquamarine clips sorry about that.

Which brooch is this? I can't place it--seems familiar, but I am at a loss as to its history...
Getty Images - Unsupported browser detected

This gold flower set with diamonds was made by contemporary jeweller Andrew Grima and was a family gift to HM. I don't have his biography to hand but I thinks this may have come from Princess Margaret. You should be familiar with it - it's almost invariably the most frequently worn of all the Queen's many brooches. :flowers:

Maple brooch

http://i33.tinypic.com/ta1wdi.jpg

Just wondered if anybody recognised the maple shaped brooch (in diamonds?) that HM was wearing on her trip to Canada House yesterday?

The brooch she wore yesterday is one of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother's Maple Leave brooches, given to the present Queen.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ytpw5f.jpg interesting brooch does anyone have a better picture and some information about where it came from

Here are a few screen caps I snagged from the video of the visit to Vodafone. Hope someone can use them to identify the brooch. :flowers:

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/Lillibetforever/Ask me why I love her/HMcap2.jpg

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/Lillibetforever/Ask me why I love her/HMcap1.jpg

http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/... me why I love her/closeuppinVodafonetrip.jpg

Here are a few screen caps I snagged from the video of the visit to Vodafone. Hope someone can use them to identify the brooch. :flowers:

I believe this folded net brooch with the three diamond leaves may have been one of HM's wedding gifts. She does not wear this one very often. It currently stands at number 27 in the data I have collected, and I have only 13 wearings (including Vodaphone)

Brooches listing

I hope this list is a bit sufficient to all people who like and adore Her Majesty The Queen (and her brooches of course). I don't know them all, but these are certainly the pieces I know by name. Perhaps someone can help to trace the rest?

Not all of The Queen's activities during October and November are listed, because the photographers in the Audience Room do not have the chance regularly to picture the brooch she is wearing. Mostly during Investitures and Audiences, the photographs are taken from behind or from the side and that causes difficulties to recognise them.

16 October 2008 Visit to Google
DIAMOND SIX-PETALLED BROOCH

16 October 2008 Reception for Olympic medallists, Buckingham Palace
CARTIER CLIPS

30 October 2008 Audience with The President of the German Republic, Mrs. Angela Merkel
FLOWER BASKET BROOCH

4 November 2008 Vigil 1914-1918 Trafalgar Square
QUEEN MOTHER’S MAPLE LEAF BROOCH

6 November 2008 Audiences with High Commissioners, Buckingham Palace
THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE’S PENDANT BROOCH

12 November 2008 Visit The Prince’s Trust
GOLD SUNSPRAY FLOWER BROOCH

13 November 2008 Knights Bachelor Service, St. Paul’s Cathedral
JARDINE STAR BROOCH

14 November 2008 Visit Vodafone Campus Newbury
???

17 November 2008 Royal Film Performance ‘A Bunch of Amateurs’, The Odeon
THE KING KHALID OF SAUDI ARABIA NECKLACE

18 November 2008 Reception Health Care, Buckingham Palace
BOW BROOCH

19 November 2008 Audiences Buckingham Palace with High Commissioners
THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE’S PENDANTS BROOCH

20 November 2008 Audience with The President of Israel, Mr. Shimon Peres
???

25 November 2008 Audience with The President of Botswana
Audience with the Prime Minister of New Zealand
New Zealand tourish exhibition
AUSTRALIAN FERN BROOCH

27 November 2008 Visit Banbury town centre, Oxfordshire
DIAMOND LILY FLAME BROOCH

1 December 2008 Condolleeza Rice piano concert, Buckingham Palace
AUSTRALIAN WATTLE BROOCH

3 December 2008 State Opening of Parliament
QUEEN MARY’S PENDANT EARRINGS
QUEEN MARY’S LINK BRACELET

4 December 2008 Visit Leicester University
CONTEMPORARY GOLD AND RUBY BROOCH

9 December 2008 Reception Members of Parliament, Buckingham Palace
THE DUCHESS OF CAMBRIDGE’S PENDANT BROOCH

Last edited by a moderator:
"20 November 2008 Audience with The President of Israel, Mr. Shimon Peres
???"

??? is an understatement. :lol: There is not one picture of this ceremony posted anywhere that I can find with Her Majesty facing the camera! But, I must say that those are lovely candle holders Mr. Peres presented her with.

Thank you for the list. I am slowly learning about the different pieces.

How many brooches does HM have? It must be more than or close to 100:rolleyes:

No, the ??? indicate that I actually don't know which brooch has been worn.
The actual number of brooches is difficult to say because when you remember the sash brooch for the State Dinner at Windsor with the Sarkozy's, Her Majesty The Queen wore an apparantly new brooch, but it was actually the 1937 Sunburst Brooch, worn by Queen Mary for the last time at the Coronation of King George VI. So, it was a first outing in this Elizabethan reign.

I believe this folded net brooch with the three diamond leaves may have been one of HM's wedding gifts. She does not wear this one very often. It currently stands at number 27 in the data I have collected, and I have only 13 wearings (including Vodaphone)

I just realized that this is the same brooch pictured in the first photo on the first page of Thread!

No, the ??? indicate that I actually don't know which brooch has been worn.
The actual number of brooches is difficult to say because when you remember the sash brooch for the State Dinner at Windsor with the Sarkozy's, Her Majesty The Queen wore an apparantly new brooch, but it was actually the 1937 Sunburst Brooch, worn by Queen Mary for the last time at the Coronation of King George VI. So, it was a first outing in this Elizabethan reign.

So far I have identified 113 individual brooches and insignia, with over 1,800 dated appearances. There are a few more which I have seen in photos but for which I don't have a date. I've been working on my database of HM's brooches for 3 or 4 years and I continue to keep it as up to date as possible, and back-fill whenever I find new information. I also keep two illustrated folders with a page for each brooch, giving all the information I have been able to find so far.

The brooch for greeting The President of Israel, Mr. Shimon Peres, was the blue centred daisy.

Is anyone familiar with two ruby brooches Her Majesty The Queen possesses?
On Maundy Thursday in Northern Ireland, Her Majesty wore a brooch with rubies; she wore another ruby brooch on the red coat during the State Visit to Slovakia. But the two are not the same. One of the two is The Queen Mother's Australian Hybiscus Brooch as told here. Which one, and which one is the other then?

In all matters of the Queen's Brooches I refer to GillW; her database is remarkable!

In all matters of the Queen's Brooches I refer to GillW; her database is remarkable!

Thanks for the compliment! I'll do my best - Firstly, today (25th December 2008) I was delighted to see that HM wore another of her late mother's brooches, the elegant "Paisley" design in diamonds.

The Hibiscus brooch is the one with a fairly large diamond flower with a centre of small rubies.

The ruby spray as worn for Maundy Thursday is also one which belonged to her mother, and is a large but delicate floral spray. I've only seen her wear it on that one occasion so far.

These are dates I have for the Hibiscus if you want to search for them on the photo sites:

23-Oct-08 Slovakia - arrival
10-Apr-08 Britannia Royal Naval College, Dartmouth.
02-Jul-07 Dundee
15-Dec-06 Sandhurst Sovereign's Parade
19-Oct-06 Lithuania State Visit - Estonia (Arrive)
14-May-06 Royal Windsor Horse Show
15-Mar-06 Aus - Opening Comm games

Thanks for the compliment! I'll do my best - Firstly, today (25th December 2008) I was delighted to see that HM wore another of her late mother's brooches, the elegant "Paisley" design in diamonds.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/Lillibetforever/Ask me why I love her/HMChristmas2008.jpg

The Hibiscus brooch is the one with a fairly large diamond flower with a centre of small rubies.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/...ve her/QueenDukeEdinburghTourSlovakiaDay1.jpg

The ruby spray as worn for Maundy Thursday is also one which belonged to her mother, and is a large but delicate floral spray.
http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/...sk me why I love her/HMMarch202008Ireland.jpg

:flowers:

The ruby spray as worn for Maundy Thursday is also one which belonged to her mother, and is a large but delicate floral spray. I've only seen her wear it on that one occasion so far.

Having been one of those in Armagh that day - i can say this has become one of my favourite brooches as the diamonds were fantastic you could see them glinting at the other end of the cathedral. It is a very large impressive piece and i hope she wears it again

I would love to see long velvet trays of the Queens brooches at once. They are just so unbelievable. I get so confused with the shear volume that she has!!!!!

Could anyone inform me about the Jardine Star brooch Her Majesty The Queen wore for exemple at the Centenary Service of the Knights Bachelor at St. Paul's Cathedral. She wore a fantastic coat and hat as well.

I know that GillW will know more (and have fantastic photographs, hint hint) but I believe the Lady Jardine star brooch was left to the Queen in the early 80's by Lady Jardine. That is all I know, though.

I would love to see long velvet trays of the Queens brooches at once. They are just so unbelievable. I get so confused with the shear volume that she has!!!!!

One of my favourite fantasies!! However I suspect, from glimpses we get now & again, that each one has a beautiful presentation box of it's own, and so will be stored away from our prying eyes each in their own little cell of darkness - how sad! I'd love to go along & help the person responsible for their care & cleaning......

I know that GillW will know more (and have fantastic photographs, hint hint) but I believe the Lady Jardine star brooch was left to the Queen in the early 80's by Lady Jardine. That is all I know, though.

Ah, would that were so.....Sadly I have been unable to date to track down any information about Lady Jardine. So any information that anyone comes across would be very welcome.

My database show 83 wearings since 1990 (fourth favourite brooch), but I don't doubt there are more early ones I have yet to log.....:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful photo--and Her Majesty looks wonderful in blue. She is such an elegant lady.
GillW, you mentioned this is HM's fourth favorite brooch, which has made me wonder where my personal favorite brooch falls in the "order of preference". I love the flower basket brooch HM received from her parents when Charles was born, but I've not seen it in a while. Have you some information and/or a nice, large photograph??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom