German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels 1: Ending 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I passed two days (bad weather) in my royal german Royal Families and their jewels files.

But with the saxe RF cobourg , einsenach etc.. I stopped.

I continued and finished yesterday. The Royals of the Past had parures , grand tiara rows of necklaces, huge devant de corsage.

Their succesors sold them because out of use and had great coast to maintain their castles and kept only a tiara and a necklace for glittering events.

I don't understand that Prince Plodi sold tiara and necklace and in Sweden the Princesses were unknown little tiaras.

I was happy to learn that the Baviera tiara and the Wurtenberg tiara are in Museums.

Last edited:
Not my favourite tiara ever, but I agree with the author of that blog: I'm glad that Carina has a tiara to wear.

Jewellery author Bjarne Steen Jensen once posted about it on the RJOTWMB that it is a loan from a member of the Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg family. But it has never been seen on any other family member. So I wonder if Gustaf bought it for Carina.

Very nice picture, Marc23, but I don't think that it is Marie zu Solms-Hohensolms-Lich, but her aunt by marriage, Duchess Christina Fourché d'Otrante.

The picture is from the wedding of Prince Manuel of Bavaria and Princess Anna zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg in 2005. Earlier in the thread we have established that Princess Marie has worn this tiara at that event: http://s22.postimg.org/td5im22ch/Manni_SWS_2.jpg

See the discussion here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...yal-and-noble-jewels-1621-14.html#post1695419

Here is another pic of Duchess Christina at the 2005 wedding
http://postimg.org/image/8sy2vlkb1/

And here is a cutting from the famous group picture of the wedding of Princess Benedikte of Denmark and Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg. I think it is the same tiara.
View image: christina fourche d otrante2

You are correct,it is Christina,born Countess von Rosen...

Thnx Tilia

I just mixed them :)

Going back through old photos from The Prince of Asturias (Don Juan Carlos) and Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark's pre-wedding gala, I noticed the young Hereditary Duchess Diane of Württemberg wearing a set of necklace and earrings that I don't remeber seeing previously on a Württemberg or an Orléans lady. Can anyone shed more light/post other pictures of this impressive demi-parure?
Link to picture

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

The earrings may be these ruby ones, since she is also wearing the ruby tiara:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/368732288212079574/

I suppose that following this logic, the necklace must be rubies too, though I can't recall ever seeing it on another photo either.

BTW: does anybody know who the lady in front of Duchess Diane is in the photo of prince of preslav? She is wearing a lovely parure too.

Going back through old photos from The Prince of Asturias (Don Juan Carlos) and Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark's pre-wedding gala, I noticed the young Hereditary Duchess Diane of Württemberg wearing a set of necklace and earrings that I don't remeber seeing previously on a Württemberg or an Orléans lady. Can anyone shed more light/post other pictures of this impressive demi-parure?
Link to picture

Thanks in advance,
Bobby

She once told n an Interview that she got it as a Wedding ´gift from an aunt. Most likely Duchess Maria Annuciata, née Archduchess of Austria-Tuscany. At her pre-Wedding Gala she wore the tiara upside down.

Marengo and Stefan,
Thank you for the replies! I thought this was the diamond tiara that Duchess Fleur wore at her wedding and never thought of the ruby parure. I'm still not convinced that these are the rubies, though, mostly because I think the necklace might be this one, with two of the lateral pendants worn as earrings.

What do you think?

PS: Marengo, the lady in the foreground is The Countess of Barcelona's sister Maria de los Dolores. I've read that her parure was set with emeralds and came from her mother.

Ah, so parhaps the parure is with the Czatorsky family.

Are there other colour photos of the necklace? The one you posted may have been coloured artificially afterwards. The colours do not seem natural (which doesn't mean that the stones can't be blue of course). Perhaps the sash of the gentleman can be used to solve it? I do not know who he is, but if the order is from Wurttemberg it must have been coloured as the Wurt. orders are red.

That's an interesting picture, Bobby!
Actually I don't see any dark stones in the tiara worn by Duchess Diane, and the outline of the tiara reminds me more of the 'Reiches Diadem', the diamond tiara worn by her sister-in-law Duchess Maria Theresa and several other brides in the family.
(see comparison: AD Maria Immaculata with the rubies left, Diane middle, Duchess Maria Theresa with the diamond tiara right.
View image: comparison )

Also, the earrings seem to be different in shape than those ruby earrings on Stefan’s photo. They appear longer and nearly lozenge shaped to me, while the ruby earrings are nearly round ovals.

The necklace worn by the AD looks like a diamond riviere with attached ruby drops, that’s not the necklace worn by Duchess Diane at the wedding in Greece.

So here is my theory that Diane could have worn the diamond tiara together with the sapphire necklace which Duchess Elisabeth wears here: View image: würt duchess elisabeth
Imo, the position of the coloured stones match, only that Duchess Elisabeth seem to wear it with five drops while Diane wears three.

Edit: So my post came too late! I didn't notice how the discussion went on while I composed my post. But at least we do agree, Bobby!

Last edited:
Ah, so parhaps the parure is with the Czatorsky family.

Are there other colour photos of the necklace? The one you posted may have been coloured artificially afterwards. The colours do not seem natural (which doesn't mean that the stones can't be blue of course). Perhaps the sash of the gentleman can be used to solve it? I do not know who he is, but if the order is from Wurttemberg it must have been coloured as the Wurt. orders are red.
Good point! As you see from the pic I posted, the picture is from a cover of Bunte. And in those days mags often coloured b/w pics for covers (I remember a lovely old cover of QEII with the Vladimir tiara and sapphires!! :D) Duchess Elisabeth married Prince Antonio of Borbon-Sicily. Would that be a red order sash, like the Duke of Castro wears nowadays?

Good point! As you see from the pic I posted, the picture is from a cover of Bunte. And in those days mags often coloured b/w pics for covers (I remember a lovely old cover of QEII with the Vladimir tiara and sapphires!! :D) Duchess Elisabeth married Prince Antonio of Borbon-Sicily. Would that be a red order sash, like the Duke of Castro wears nowadays?

Based on the 8-pointed star with red enamel cross, I believe the Prince is wearing the Sacred Military Constantinian Order of Saint George, which has a light blue sash, so the colouring of the picture must be correct, at least in part.
BTW, thank you for reminding me that the lady in the picture in Duchess Elizabeth! :)

PS: I'm glad we agree that Diane is wearing the copy of the Empire tiara with the necklace from Dss Elizabeth's photo! :)

Great Wedding of Prince of Toerring-Jettennbach and Comtesse d' Altenburg.
Tradition Wedding as I like !

The bride wore a huge tiara.

from which family is it coming from .

Thanks for answer.

That beautiful floral tiara is from the bride's family.
Some info can be found here: Das Diamant-Blüten-Diadem | Toerring-Jettenbach

The two brides pictured on that site are from the main line of the family. Countess Eleonore and her elder sister Countess Antonia (who married with this tiara in 2008) are 2nd cousins down the line. So this is a true family tiara, being widely shared by the family members.

The German Royals kept their family jewels and have traditional weddings.
Well done.

I found this interesting photo with two rarely seen German jewels - Empress Augusta Victoria's coronet and the impressive Arco-Zinneberg ruby parure (last worn at the wedding of Guillaume and Stéphanie), among others. Enjoy the glitter :p

German and Austrian Royal and Noble Jewels

I found this interesting photo with two rarely seen German jewels - Empress Augusta Victoria's coronet and the impressive Arco-Zinneberg ruby parure (last worn at the wedding of Guillaume and Stéphanie), among others. Enjoy the glitter :p

Great picture! I love snapshots like this :)
Poor Kira, that coronet must be a difficult piece to balance on your head.
Btw going by the tiara - is that Queen Marie-José behind the lady with the extended hand?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Great ...Who is the Princess greating the lady with extended hands and who is she.
We have the 2 Sisters Marina and Olga.
Who are the Princes ?

Btw going by the tiara - is that Queen Marie-José behind the lady with the extended hand?

I see your point about the coronet being difficult to balace! I guess one of the reasons we don't see it worn and why it's been partially dismantled is because it's hard to wear something that large and not look like a prom Queen.

No, the lady isn't Queen Marie-José. It's Princess Olga of Yugoslavia. The head with the bendeau in the foreground belongs to her sister Marina.

Hasn't the Prussian coronet been broken up (and sold)?

I see your point about the coronet being difficult to balace! I guess one of the reasons we don't see it worn and why it's been partially dismantled is because it's hard to wear something that large and not look like a prom Queen.

No, the lady isn't Queen Marie-José. It's Princess Olga of Yugoslavia. The head with the bendeau in the foreground belongs to her sister Marina.

I thought it looked like the lady was wearing the Musy tiara and therefore assumed she was Queen MJ.
Who's the lady with the glove?

Wow, thanks for pointing out the Arco-Zinneberg ruby parure. That parure is so rarely seen, that I only knew the pics from the pre-wedding of Guillaume and Stéphanie. So this lady would be Countess Maria Theresia, née Countess of Preysing-Lichtenegg-Moos? Or her senior sister-in-law, Countess Eugenie?

I too love to see such snapshots! I think that the Prussian coronet was just made for a different hairstyle. To ancor it on the cushioned wagon wheel hair of the last Empress is one thing, to fix it on the short, permed hair of the mid 20th century is quite another.

Imo the difficulty to wear it, as well as the size and weight might have been some of the reasons why the coronet was partially dismantled. Most of the clover elements were taken off and fixed on two new small tiaras.
Hasn't the Prussian coronet been broken up (and sold)?
Yes and no. Only severeal clover elements were taken off the coronet and re-used for two smaller tiaras, but coronet is still there. Some years ago the tiara was loaned to an exhibition in Japan, and I have never heard of a sale since then.
About the exhibition: Preussen.de - Diadem-Ausstellung in Japan

Who are the 2 Ladies with gloves (Princess Sybilla of sweden ?)? one with a tiara and one without tiara ?
Very nice picture. I could not see the other tiara.

Arco-Zinneberg ruby parure

I don't know who the lady without tiara is, but the other lady with gloves is a Countess of Arco-Zinneberg. I don't know which one exactly, but as prince.of.preslav pointed out in his post, she is wearing the family's ruby parure. For everybody who does not remember, this parure was last seen at the pre-wedding of Guillaume and Stéphanie in Luxembourg. See here, behind Victoria and Daniel: View image: arco zinneberg The lady here is Arch Duchess Maria Beatrix, Countess Riprand of Arco-Zinneberg, the eldest sister of Arch Duke Lorenz and sister-in-law of Princess Astrid. Isn't that a beautiful parure?

Beatiful parure and that tiara so impressive.

Whatever is found from the family jewels in the donned ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know who the lady without tiara is, but the other lady with gloves is a Countess of Arco-Zinneberg. I don't know which one exactly, but as prince.of.preslav pointed out in his post, she is wearing the family's ruby parure. For everybody who does not remember, this parure was last seen at the pre-wedding of Guillaume and Stéphanie in Luxembourg. See here, behind Victoria and Daniel: View image: arco zinneberg The lady here is Arch Duchess Maria Beatrix, Countess Riprand of Arco-Zinneberg, the eldest sister of Arch Duke Lorenz and sister-in-law of Princess Astrid. Isn't that a beautiful parure?

wow, what a whopper!!! thanks for posting!

Prussian Clover Coronet

More on the Prussian clover coronet:
Here is a pic of the current state of the partially dismantled coronet. It used to have 4 large and 8 small clover elements, but only 1 large and two small elements remain in the front of the circlet.

The remaining 3 large elements and two of the small ones were mounted on this new tiara.

As we have seen, Princess Kira wore the coronet in 1956. She wore the new 5 clover tiara in 1962 at the Court Ball held at the Amstel Hotel in honour of the Silver Wedding of Queen Juliana & Prince Bernhard. So the change must have been made between 1956 and 1962.

The remaining two small elements were mounted with an emerald on another frame to make this small tiara. Yes, it looks like an aquamarine, but apparently it has been proven to be a light emerald. It is said that this stone had once belonged to Napoleon. I have never seen this tiara being worn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom