Duchess of Cambridge Jewellery 1: April-December 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: Interesting thoughts about her first jewelry gifts coming from 'The Diana Collection.' I really wish we knew more about what, specifically, PW and PH own/inherited and what went back to the Queen so we could speculate in a little more detail.

Regarding 'The Diana Collection,' I'd like to see some of those pieces broken up and mounted into other settings so they are not so traditionally "Diana" (I was never a fan of all those necklaces she wore as headbands) and can become more "Catherine" while still being a special gift that were once owned by PW's mother. I was reading somewhere (sorry, can't remember if it was here or somewhere else) that a Spencer jewelry tradition was to wear a multi-strand pearl choker and the article showed several pictures of Diana, her sisters and mother all wearing similar necklaces...I think it'd be nice for DoCa to get some of Diana's pearls as well...I know she's not a Spencer, per se, but would be nice continuity of the style being passed down to a daughter-in-law. And, I think pearls would be in keeping with DoCa's understated jewelry style...

I think a gift of Canadian diamonds would be nice as long as it wasn't something ostentatious. It would cost us taxpayers some coin; but then again, it would be fabulous publicity for our diamond industry!
I think it would be GREAT publicity for Canadian diamonds, especially since, IMO, the market for conflict-free (aka non blood-diamonds) is growing.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Diana's pearl choker?

I can't say for sure, but she doesn't strike me as a young lady who cares that much about jewelry at all.

I think we will only ever see the new Duchess of Cambridge in a tiara when she is absolutely required to wear one.:sad:

totally agree.

i think she doesn't like all that stuff, she has an innate good taste of fashion, and knows that "less is more".

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Diana's pearl choker?

I am sure that someone here better qualified than me can advise you, but the pearl choker that she often used to wear in the early days of her marriage was apparently a Spencer piece.

As to 'who got what', again, an expert here is better placed than me to advise, but I would guess [and it is a guess] that pieces given to Diana from the Queen went back to the Queen [if only to prevent them becoming assessable for Inheritance Tax [which was very heavy in the case of Diana because she died unexpectedly and there had been little if any 'tax planning' done for her] and the pieces that she acquired during her marriage [i.e. not from the Queen] would possibly have been divided up between William and Harry. I would assume that the division was pretty even, although I suppose William got Diana's engagement ring as he was the 'heir rather than the spare'.

A lot of the foregoing is conjecture and speculation on my part however, so treat cautiously, please.

There is one caveat to all this - certain pieces given as 'gifts' to Diana during he marriage - if they ranked as 'state gifts' e.g. presents from Crowned Heads given to Diana officially may well rank as 'State Pieces' rather than her personal property. I remember about 2 years ago, Camilla was suddenly spotted [by an eagle-eyed journalist] wearing some beautiful jewellery and it transpired that this had been given to her by a Middle East Crowned Head after an official visit, and BP was quick to announce that it was not to be treated as Camilla's 'personal property' but State Property.

Alex

Last edited:
I think it would be GREAT publicity for Canadian diamonds, especially since, IMO, the market for conflict-free (aka non blood-diamonds) is growing.
Agreed, the publicity would be great, and the costs for such a piece of jewellery might be smaller than the costs for an advertisement page in a lifestyle mag.
May the Canadians keep the tradition of giving maple leave brooches. It would be lovely for the DoCa to have one of her own.

That would be a very nice gift. When the Queen visited Canada last year, I loved her maple leaf evening gown.

I wish Canadian diamonds were not so expensive.

Nobody really knows who gets what jewels other than her "royal" rather than personal pieces went back to the queen. As for all the speculation that Willim gets the lot or most of it, Diana was very keen to treat her sons equally so I think she would have tried to leave some to Harry. Personally I think Kate needs to get some jewels that don't belong to Diana. Even a tribute to her is bit much at this point. She needs to try to create her own image.

As for Fergie I have heard many different stories about how she got the tiara so whatever you want to believe is your choice but I feel like the Queen has her favorites.

Last edited:
Drop the conversations, I want to see the diamonds dripping!!!!:p

Me too! I bet we see the 'baby gift' pearl necklace with the pave diamond heart soon.

I read (I think in the Suzy Menkes 'Royal Jewels' book) that Diana bought that necklace for herself from a small (!) legacy she received - but I could be remembering that wrongly...

Drop the conversations, I want to see the diamonds dripping!!!!:p

The couple is NOT that wealthy at this point. Prince William has his inheritance from his mother, it is quite substantial but he's not RICH-RICH yet. And Kate has nothing in assets whatsover (except for her flat, but I'm unsure whether it's hers or her parents') to show yet. Therefore, I don't expect to see anything substantial in jewels except those on loan!

William and Harry each inherited about $35 million, net of death duties, from Diana's estate and are certainly very well-off. Because William will become The Duke of Cornwall and control the duchy's income eventually, Harry also inherited approximately $15 million in total from both The Queen Mother and The Earl Spencer as well.

So, William can afford to buy Catherine whatever jewels she needs or wants. And she undoubtedly will wear many of Diana's jewels in the future as well as have her own that she received as wedding gifts.

Not sure where you got your numbers from, but from memory, Diana's estate was about £22m in all, so about $40m. Not sure how that translates to $35m each

Last edited by a moderator:
William and Harry each inherited about $35 million, net of death duties, from Diana's estate and are certainly very well-off. Because William will become The Duke of Cornwall and control the duchy's income eventually, Harry also inherited approximately $15 million in total from both The Queen Mother and The Earl Spencer as well.

So, William can afford to buy Catherine whatever jewels she needs or wants. And she undoubtedly will wear many of Diana's jewels in the future as well as have her own that she received as wedding gifts.

"Very well off" is certainly different from RICH-RICH. Prince William's (personal) wealth is not among the biggest in the UK, much less the world. And I"m talking about NOW, not when Prince William becomes Prince of Wales and gets the income of the Duchy of Cornwall. I understand Prince Charles derives about £12 M from the duchy annually but can't touch the other assets associated with it, aside from the income.

I'm not even sure of your figures and of your statement that he can buy her whatever she wants or needs. What's $35 M in the grand scheme of things (composed of stocks, jewels, certainly NOT all in cash)? Think of the Wittelsbach diamond for instance, sold for £16.4 M in 2008, and that's just a single diamond. If William buys that or a similarly priced jewel, there would be not much left of his (as you've stated) US$35 M assets. So it's not as if he can buy her that without making a big dent on his assets, let alone a bunch of similar items.

Frankly, I can't see Kate owning such similarly valued jewels or even Diana's hand me down personal jewels coming close to that. Having them on loan, yes, I doubt if we'll see her own fabulous jewels like those in the past! Diana's hand me down engagement ring is not even valued at half of £1M now, let alone anywhere near the value of Wittelsbach diamond. I hope you get my point/perspective.

Last edited:
:previous:
Why do you think it is unlikely that Kate will "inherit" some of Diana's personal jewels? I would have thought this was quite likely.

Over the next few years I think Kate will be given some impressive jewellery both from state visits and within the Royal family. This may not be in large numbers, but given her eventual destiny as a future Queen, she will gradually build up an impressive collection.

That was a cute and very human moment. It is weird, but I don't think I've ever seen video of either of them before where they weren't "on".

:previous:
Why do you think it is unlikely that Kate will "inherit" some of Diana's personal jewels? I would have thought this was quite likely.

Over the next few years I think Kate will be given some impressive jewellery both from state visits and within the Royal family. This may not be in large numbers, but given her eventual destiny as a future Queen, she will gradually build up an impressive collection.

No, what I meant is that is that Diana's personal jewels aren't as impressive nor as valuable as the ones owned by past royals, i.e. the Wittelsbach diamond originally owned by Infanta Margarita Teresa of Spain (and similar items). I know very well that Prince William inherited part of his late mother's jewels so naturally whatever items he got from her will likely be given to his wife and/or future children (or spouses thereof).

I think I've read that jewels given on state visits aren't automatically personal property either. And whatever British Crown Jewels she may wear are just on loan, never to be personal property of an individual, so whatever "impressive collection" it may amount, most of the jewels will not be Kate's per se. There might be personal gifts of jewels within the royal family, yes, but not on the scale of the earlier centuries.

That is why I'm not very convinced that Kate will have a very impressive collection (compared to past royals) of her own jewels (i.e. personal property). If you look up the royal jewels (mostly owned personally by princesses and queens, with a few exceptions) of the past, you'll understand what I mean. Those were on a different scale and category, which we won't likely see these days.

Last edited:
You make a great point. Of her engagement and wedding jewelry the only thing that belongs to her is the earrings and her wedding band. The tiara is a loaner from the Queen and the engagement ring belongs to the brothers.

As for what she might get in the future, I too think it will mostly be loaners as William does not seem keen on buying her new stuff. I know he does not have what some people would consider a lot of money and maybe Kate does not like big jewels. Either way, I think we will not see a lot of new stuff. I do not consider this bad because in This climate you do not want to seem to flashy among other reasons.

I would love to see Kate wear some of Diana's jewels, yet expensive jewellery doesn't seem her style...........yet. I always thought of all Diana's pieces the lovers know tiara was just amazing, She returned it to the Queen after the divorce though.

I would love to see Kate wear some of Diana's jewels, yet expensive jewellery doesn't seem her style...........yet. I always thought of all Diana's pieces the lovers know tiara was just amazing, She returned it to the Queen after the divorce though.

I personally think she needs to branch out. She has the ring, as a loaner, what not try something else.

jemagre said:
I personally think she needs to branch out. She has the ring, as a loaner, what not try something else.

A loaner? What's that mean? As soon as he put it on her finger it became her engagement ring....so now it's hers, not a loan

Diana did NOT return the Lovers Knot Tiara, nor any other Royal Family Jewellery after the divorce. Just look at her last formal engagement, on her birthday in 1997 - she is wearing the Cambridge emerald Queen Mary choker. She was required by the divorce agreement to return these pieces upon death, that is they were not her personal property. I do not know what conditions would have applied if she had remarried.

The Queen "gave" Diana the Lovers Knot Tiara as a wedding gift. HM has way too much class to ask for something like that back, especially when she knew that Diana was certainly not a thief, to say the least.

Check Paul Burrell's books for more info on this subject; he discusses it in detail when he is writing about Earl Spencer asking Diana for the Spencer Tiara to be returned when he had a tiff with his sister. He specifically says that Diana "at least was able to keep" the one from the Queen.

Hope this info clarifies the subject somewhat. I wish I knew the entire story, but I doubt that anyone not privy to the divorce agreement can come up with the entire truth.

Last edited:
Aliza said:
Diana did NOT return the Lovers Knot Tiara, nor any other Royal Family Jewellery after the divorce. Just look at her last formal engagement, on her birthday in 1997 - she is wearing the Cambridge emerald Queen Mary choker. She was required by the divorce agreement to return these pieces upon death, that is they were not her personal property.

Hmmm I thought that choker was a gift from Charles? Maybe I am thinking of the wrong choker..... Did Diana ever wear a tiara after her divorce became official, I honestly can't remember..... ?

I find Paul Burrel to be a less than reputable source or man in my opinion so I discount anything he says....

Last edited:
A loaner? What's that mean? As soon as he put it on her finger it became her engagement ring....so now it's hers, not a loan
Under "normal" circumstances the engagement ring belongs to the groom until the wedding has taken place. At the moment of the wedding the ring becomes the property of the bride. However, in respect to heirlooms the ownership is often spelled out and clarified in either pre-nuptial or other agreements. In most families it is very important to keep heirlooms in the family and therefore the disposition of them in case of death or divorce is pre-determined. We don't know what would happen to Diana's/Catherine's ring in case she would become a widow or divorcee.

:previous: As I understand it, the engagement ring is a gift to the fiancee. That's why a woman isn't strictly required to return an engagement ring if the engagement is broken, although it's seen as being in good taste to return it.

Under "normal" circumstances the engagement ring belongs to the groom until the wedding has taken place. At the moment of the wedding the ring becomes the property of the bride. However, in respect to heirlooms the ownership is often spelled out and clarified in either pre-nuptial or other agreements. In most families it is very important to keep heirlooms in the family and therefore the disposition of them in case of death or divorce is pre-determined. We don't know what would happen to Diana's/Catherine's ring in case she would become a widow or divorcee.
I can't believe that Catherine would have to return the ring in any case, it is in good taste though not to continue wearing it in the case of divorce, or even if a widow remarries. There could be however strings attached, that it remain in their branch of the family, only to be inherited to so and so. the case of a divorcee wearing jewels she recieved from her former husband at her second wedding was allegedly Alexandra, countessof Fredricswhatever, who wore earings and a necklace Joachim gave her for the birth of one of her children, in bad taste:whistling:

Please can I help with a little background information?

Under English law, the general rule is that the engagement ring belongs to the fiancee as soon as it is given to her, even if the marriage then does not take place!! If the engagement is broken, a true 'lady' (in the sense of manners and breeding) returns it to the young man, but in English law, the ring is hers to keep.

There is one proviso, if the ring is an 'heirloom' ring, there is a possibility that the young man might be able to convince a court that there was an 'implied' term that the ring was only to be retained if the marriage went ahead etc. / did not end in divorce etc. But believe you me, it was previously VERY hard to establish this.

The situation might be altered in a pre-nuptual agreement if the ring is specifically mentioned, but even then, the court may not necessarily have to follow this term of the pre-nuptual agrement. However, we have been told in The Times that BP has stated that William and Catherine do NOT have a 'pre-nup'.

As I understood the terms of Charles and Diana's Divorce, it was part of the agreement that Diana was still to be regarded as a member of the BRF and would continue to receive invitations to important state occasions etc. One of the terms of the agreement was that she would also retain 'for life' the 'non-personal /state-type' of jewellery she had been given [It's hard to know what to call it - it is not strictly 'Crown' jewellery but it is that category of jewellery which basically belongs to the 'BRF' rather than the individual. Note how many countries give presents of jewellery to visiting royals: if it is given to someone other than the Queen, it is generally regarded as NOT a personal present to the royal recipient concerned: if it was regarded as property, then it would be TAXABLE! I remember when Camilla was spotted wearing some lovely jewellery - it emerged that it was a gift from an Arab Crowned Head that Charles and Camilla had visited: and BP then had to announce that it was not 'Camilla's to keep.

Regarding William: yes, he is not 'Rich Rich Rich', but he and Harry are quite exceptionally wealthy young men and can easily afford to buy very expensive 'statement pieces' for their wives [in due course in Harry's case!]. By way of comparison, could I mention Prince Andrew, who is on paper much less well off than William and Harry [who received money from their mother and also, in Harry's case, a legacy from the Queen Mother]. Prince Andrew bought Sarah quite a lot of personal jewellery - from Cartier and Garrard and the like. This was 'hers to keep'; in fact Sarah 'did better' than Diana in one respect, as the Princess had a lot of 'heirloom' jewellery as well as 'official presents' jewellery.

Re the 'Spencer Family Tiara'. Regardless of what Paul Burrell may have said [I never read the book], 'Family Tiaras' such as the Spencer Tiara ALWAYS remain the property of the Aristocratic Family Male line [they are part of the 'entail' and pass to the heir along with the house etc etc]. Diana might have retained the physical use of the Spencer tiara, not under any sense of true legal physical custody, but [I presume] because she would have the most occasion to use it. In practice, since harldy anyone except the Queen gives huge 'white tie' parties any more etc etc, it is only State occasions and Royal parties when a tiara could possibly be worn [apart from by the bride at a marriage]. There would have been precious few occasions when Earl Spencer's consort would have been able to wear a tiara.

Hope some of this helps,
Alex

As to whether Catherine is a 'jewellery person' - well, here's a thought! I was looking back at some of my old 'royal information' at the weekend, and some of it was pre-the wedding of Charles and Camilla. The Broadsheet papers were continually carrying well-sourced reports saying that 'Camilla is NOT intersted in Clothes [she has only one ballgown - an old taffeta number]. Camilla is NOT interested in spending loads of time at the hairdresser etc as she is a 'hunting, shooting, fishing' type of girl. Camilla is NOt interested in Jewellery etc etc.

In other words, pre-marriage she was being painted as a 'no-nonsense Princess Royal-type of person'

Yet look at what has happened:

Camilla's hair is very blonde, from contant visits to the hairdresser. She wears los of designer clothers. She has a substantial collection of personal jewellery from Prince Charles. In short, Camilla has not remained the 'Princess Royal type of person'.

Catherine may be doing the 'Hight Street Fashion Princess' routine at the moment but I get the impression that we will be seeing her 'sparkle' in the not too distant future.

Got to rush off now to Chelsea Flower Show for the Preview day and some serious 'Royal Spotting'

Hope some of this helps.

Alex

Last edited:
Regarding William: yes, he is not 'Rich Rich Rich', but he and Harry are quite exceptionally wealthy young men and can easily afford to buy very expensive 'statement pieces' for their wives [in due course in Harry's case!].

Hope some of this helps.

Alex

Thanks Alex. I mostly agree on your last post.

I guess being 'quite exceptionally wealthy' and 'very expensive statement pieces' are relative. What is expensive for one might not be so from another perspective, and the same with being quite exceptionally wealthy. My main interest, and if one may call it an 'expertise' are the royals of 16th-18th centuries, specifically the Habsburgs. That was a different era, with different standards, much more luxurious, expensive and opulent than now. Even present royals can't compete with the old standard of living and jewels; that is why my main reference point is the Wittelsbach diamond, among others.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom