Crown Princess Victoria Jewellery 2: June 2005-December 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me Victoria's tiara isn't so small, and it is festive with the comb. About a small tiara at this event - I guess we all remember the small tiara queen Rania wore at Victoria's wedding. This wasn't a wedding, this was a dinner on a previous day.

At the wedding Victoria had a pearl bracelet
http://imageupper.com/i/?S0200010070011H1350826117568031

Last edited:
ayvee said:
Thanks for the close-up. Wow, another cut-steel tiara. I wonder where it came from.

Are we sure it's cut steel? It doesn't look like it to me.

thank you for the close up

looking at the photo i think its a cut steel tiara

does any other royal family have cut steel tiara?

what would such tiara go for at a auktion?

The tiara plus matching hair comb is quite an exciting new addition, last but not least because these jewels might have belonged to a Bernadotte lady in the past and been bought back now.
By the second half of the 19th century, sets including tiara plus haircomb were already beginning to become outdated.
If it is cut steel indeed, it would place this set even closer to the Napoleonic era when the material and the new capability of cutting it this precisely were very much in fashion.
On the other hand, in some pictures it looks more like silver, possibly with the faceted pellets/balls on top in onyx... which could mean that it was mourning jewelry originally.
A fascinating riddle.

It looks like faceted and baquet diamond in a criss-cross pattern with briolet cut? roundballs at the top.
I don't see diamonds in the latticework, and certainly not at the top.

I don't see diamonds in the latticework, and certainly not at the top.

The top is definitely not diamonds. I can't tell with the lace work either.

I'm on team cut steel, though clearer pictures might change my opion. And I don't mind the lack of diamonds at all, because antique cut steel pieces carry a vast history, especially if it really is another Bernadotte piece. Imo the wedding was an ideal moment to break in a new tiara.
My problem with this tiara is, that it doesn't suit Victoria well, it goes neither with her colouring nor with her facial shape.
Whereas the other cut steel tiara seems just made for her. No other lady looks as gorgeous with it.

I too can see baguette diamonds in that closer look of the tiara. The top row is not, but sure looks like cabachon stones to me and I think I see some purple there. If I'm not just wishing it that is.

Regardless...Thank you so much salma for that picture of it close up. I make tiara using wire, beads and fake gemstones. For the first time, I can honestly say I have an actual Royal tiara I can make a pretty close copy of. Once I get all of my materials in order that is.

Thank you so much again for the picture!!! :)

That tiara was a miss for me. It would look odd on anyone...
But the pearl bracelet and particularly the brooch she wore at the wedding were really beautiful!

Thanks to Gert-Jan who posted it on the Royal Jewels MB, here's an even closer pic of the 'new' tiara and haircomb.
Definitely no diamonds included, and what looks like black bead stones in a row on top are IMO half globes of steel cut in facets as well, if you look at the end of the row and at their back in the comb.
Definitely an antique set, perhaps only recovered/restored now, but most likely bought back or acquired recently:

Close up
http://s10.postimage.org/je7rwdq1l/Wed_Lux_9.jpg

:previous:
Very elegant. Absolutely love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This tiara is very interesting but I think it would have looked better if it had been placed in front of a fabulous up do with the tiara highlighted against her dark hair. Worn this way it seemed a little cramped and up tight. Hmm

To be honest, I did not like the addition of the large diamond pendant on the necklace with this gown as it looked too heavy and choker-like which added to the overall cramped impression. Meh!

No, that dress (and that Princess) was made to carry the Napoleon Steel Cut tiara and I wish she had worn that. It fitted so perfectly. Beautiful

^^^Or even marquisite. I think this is too dainty a tiara for someone of Victoria's stature; she pulls off the grander tiaras beautifully.

when i saw the new tiara i thought gift for the birth of the nest heir princess estelle most likely from her parents. Its an interesting tiara and one i could see estelle use as a starter tiara but i do prefer Victoria in something larger

I have to admit I do not get the idea of wearing a tiara with a comb. Somewhat weird I think. The tiara itself is nice though a bit too small.

Such fun trying to identify this fascinating tiara. Could the 'black bead stones' be garnets and might this be a Victorian era mourning tiara, with a view to the loss of Countess Alix de Lannoy?:cool:

Other pieces that haven't been seen are lurking in those vaults too?

And we thought it was only the British Royals who guarded their treasures so tightly. :D Wonder what else we haven't seen yet and when can we see it?

i hope roger will write something in the kungliga magazinet edition about the tiara and comb.

maybe the pre-wedding earings victoria wore isnot bought back but taken out of the voults for the first time in many many yeras
but what do they gave in the voults
victorias 18th birthday tiara may be such a item, estelles first tiara may come from the hidden tresures
only time will tell and a book about the jewllery written with the help pf the royal family

does anyone have a better and larger photo of queen josefina
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfoc6tZ34VQv24gqPJ9BMrNW9qA0KUsZKwtMPb0hd5SfxKFOdOdMigGFa8

not a match to victorias tiara but it has been on my mind from the first time i saw victorias smal cut steel tiara

Actually the comb doesn't surpise me. Many older parures (Napoleanic era?) have them because tiaras don't go all the way around the head. The comb in the back helps close the gap so to speak, or it is put higher in the updo to give the tiara more height visually. The "tiara" still looks like an upside down necklace to me though.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the smaller one (even though it looks more like a necklace to me).

Here is a larger version of Queen Josefine's portrait.
I agree, it does have a resemblance to Victoria's tiara. Not a perfect match but close.

I'm not too fond of this one, but I can appreciate the historical significance and the Victorian touch to it. Great find, thanks for sharing! :flowers:

Here is a larger version of Queen Josefine's portrait.
I agree, it does have a resemblance to Victoria's tiara. Not a perfect match but close.
It's certainly not the same.
There's some resemblance in design with the haircomb of the 'new' cut steel set, but this isn't surprising as the small tiara worn by young Josefina in the painting and the 'new' cut steel tiara should date back to approximately the same time period - of course not Victorian, but rather Napoleonic indeed.

I like the new tiara and especially the comb, but I do not think the tiara suits Victoria. I think she looks better with tiaras that are higher in the middle. Her face has a pronounced chin and a low sloping forehead and higher tiaras seems to balance it better. The other cut steel tiara looks just lovely on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom