Crown Princess Mary Jewellery 3: June 2008-October 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love this tiara, I hope that it's here to stay. Not as small and delicate as her wedding tiara, but not as huge as the Ruby Tiara. What a wonderful middle of the road tiara.

That's very beautiful, and I loved the name of "Midnight Queen". But I'd prefer a tiara with some history, like the ruby she got from Queen Ingrid. I'd like Princess Letizia owned a new tiara, she needs it.

Love this tiara I'm sorry but I have always felt her wedding tiara was small and cold looking, the ruby yeesh I hate rubies and it always seems to wear her, and dominate her so heavy and large. Though it seemed right on Q Ingrid. This on seems to fit her and she wears it well.

Thank you so much Boris. She looks fabulous! This tiara has Mary's name stamped all over it, it' just "fits" her perfectly.
I don't know whether it is "new millenium" or old as in the original Desire Ruby Tiara.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some have suggested or stated that it's a contemporary design. It isn't at all. It's neo classical. Notably characterized by it's symmetry and simplicity of style, and is evidently inspired by the classical themes of both ancient Rome and Greece.

I agree. I thought it rather classical in design & theme. Maybe it'll become CP Mary's "Golden Poppies".

I am one of those who has called it contemporary - and I still think it is in the sense that it is made in our day and age - which I perceive as contemporary - and that this is finally a 'non-old' (if this is a word!) tiara that actually works when it is worn, looks regal and has beautiful craftmanship. Keeping in mind previous discussions of 'new' tiaras like Queen Margrethe's poppies, Queen Sonja's star trek tiara etc. this new tiara is quite wonderful. And contemporary IMHO ;)

Of course it is a contemporary design, and a modern tiara.
Maybe you are confusing 'abstract' with 'modern' here...?
The tiara certainly has the shape of a stylized wreath, just like the Queen Désirée ruby tiara is basically a wreath, and both are in the end 'inspired' by real wreaths worn in ancient cultures. Thus the tiara's theme is classical - the tiara itself, just like the infamous 'poppies', is not.
If you look closely, it's also far from 'simple' and not symmetrical at all - thogh it's beautiful how it achieves an illusion of symmetry from afar.
Representing the Australia's national flower, the Golden Wattle, in a coloring as if seen at night (in itself an inspired idea), the tiara and its matching pieces are not of 'neo-classical' design, and in view of all technical aspects - the kind of material mix used, the technics of processing the materials and setting the stones, the whole way the design is executed - it should absolutely be labeled 'modern' or 'contemporary'.
For 'neo-classical' jewels, motifs and settings, see for example the Norwegian amethyst tiara, Queen Elizabeth II's aquamarine tiara, or Queen Silvia's neo-classical diamond fringe tiara/necklace.

I never said it wasn't a modern tiara. It' can't be anything other than what it is.

I said the design is representative of a neoclassical exposé. Granted, perhaps better to have said classcial; but it isn't a modern looking tiara at all. It's construction is fashioned due to modern methods and materials, but is undoubtedly characterized by it's likeness of ancient ornamentation. It is a modern tiara but it's style and design are not contemporary.

As you wish... :rolleyes:
But if the tiara should be continued to be labeled 'classical' instead of 'contemporary' here, it would simply be wrong.
Anyway, let's just hope that it WILL be referred to again as a confirmed addition to the Danish collection.

I agree. I hope this is a permanent eddition to Mary's own personal collection. It's a wonderful example of craftmanship and HRH the Crown Princess wears it beautifully...:)

Is it confirmed that it's depiction is that of the Acacia pycnantha? I noticed a very strong resemblance but wasn't sure, myself.

And it's not a matter of if 'I' wish. It is a modern tiara in a classical design.

:previous: Hey I love the new tiara and, truth be told, I am somewhat perversely intrigued with the idea of seeing her wear the poppies. :D

Last edited:
Sigh. We have an entire thread devoted to the Golden Poppies hair ornament. The recent posts have been moved over.

If this new one is a permanent addition, she has the use of three yes. She does not own the ruby set which Queen Ingrid used - it was bequathed to prince Frederik for his wife's use.

These info are quite interesting.It seems the CP takes all the good stuff in the DRF.

It seems the CP takes all the good stuff in the DRF.
What on earth is that supposed to mean...:nonono:
As pointed out before, CP Mary has use of the ruby parure inherited by her husband from his grandmother Queen Ingrid, her delicate diamond wedding tiara, and now - hopefully permanently - the new set.

I had to make clear that I was thinking about Princess Marie compared to CP Mary.I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.

Don't care for this tiara very much. The moonstone are ok but it seems a little dark, and the 18 ct gold leaves are a bit much. But to each is own. I do like that there are some diamonds in there. I hoped she would get a better tiara I am just disappointed about the stones in this one.

Are there and HQ's of this tiara??

I had to make clear that I was thinking about Princess Marie compared to CP Mary.I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
I think you just need to put everything in it's own time and place.

Mary's Wedding Tiara is very understated. Personally I prefer it as a necklace.

Mary's husband has given her the use of the Desiree Parure that was left to him by his Grandmother. Nothing to do with the Queen or her jewels.

The Jury's out on Mary's latest tiara. I am hoping it is her's and not just borrowed before I start waxing altogether too lyrical!

Marie's Wedding Tiara is absolutely fabulous and IMO far more versitile than Mary's. But that is just my opiniion.

Marie has only been married for a relatively short time and has only received the traditional Wedding Tiara. I think Princess Alexandra had only her Wedding Tiara throughout her marriage.

It is not some weird sort of competition. Who get's the most ????? We just get to look and admire or wince as the jewels appear. :D

The before Princess Alexandra received a Crown tiara.
Princess Marie's tiara is a loan! The Queen is carefull now.
As at Mary's wedding the Queen knew that Joachim and Alexandra would divorce just after and that Alexandra's royal tiara was lost, she and er husband preferred giving a new tiara to Mary, her wedding tiara. Ihe only one which is hers.
As far as the tiara LOAN by the craftsman , if I was him I would or keep it for future modern juwelry exhibitions or sell it very expensive because it was worn by the Crown Princess of Danemark.. I would certainly not give it for free..

Indeed Princess (now Countess) Alexandra's historic tiara was a wedding gift; it continues to be her personal property regardless of divorce and re-marriage.
Likewise CP Mary's wedding tiara, a gift which was newly acquired for her, belongs to her, while the Queen Désirée ruby parure belongs to her husband.
Princess Marie's historic floral wedding tiara is hers to use, but not her personal property.

Thank you for the info,MARG.As you see,I'm still learning.

It is an innovative design for a tiara, a pared down tiara in view of the economic times.

On the Royal Jewels of the World Message Board Bjarne posted that the new tiara contains 1300 (!) brilliants !!! Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Re: Crown Princess Mary: New tiara
So it's definitely more expensive than I thought originally. I really hope to see it again. :) The proportions are perfect, right between the beautiful, but rather small wedding tiara and the beautifull, but too massive ruby parure. In my opinion the design is very modern, especially the use of multicoloured metal. Also I heard that it is inspired by the Golden Wattle, an Australian flower symbol. (But I'm not sure if this has been confirmed.) On the other hand it seems to be an interpretation of the ancient gold wreaths (Munn has some lovely picturs in his "bible"). Who knows, the designer might have a copy of the book in his workshop to get some inspiration, but clearly got inspired by other sources as well.:flowers:

All of Princess Mary's rings are stunning and beautiful!:flowers:

Mary seems to have alot more rings than I thought! My favorite is still the huge aquamarine set in an art deco style!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom