Media reports: Divorce for King Mohamed VI and Princess Lalla Salma

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Confusing! So why they leak the divorce news in the first place?

Maybe they are just separated?

Hola magazine said that they signed divorce papers.

Confusing! So why they leak the divorce news in the first place?
Probably because the gossip had become so outrageous that a "sighting" was essential. I believe they majorly underestimated how high Lalla Salma's international standing was and how badly her sudden disappearance reflects on the MRF.
Hola magazine said that they signed divorce papers.

I don't know but i start to believe there is no divorce but only separation and big fall out between the couple,if there is a legal divorce would be announced by now by the palace especially after all crazy rumours and gossips that damaged really hard the King and the monarchy image inside and outside Morocco..Imo

Probably because the gossip had become so outrageous that a "sighting" was essential. I believe they majorly underestimated how high Lalla Salma's international standing was and how badly her sudden disappearance reflects on the MRF.

I agree with you they did not expect that coverage from the international media

I don't know but i start to believe there is no divorce but only separation and big fall out between the couple,if there is a legal divorce would be announced by now by the palace especially after all crazy rumours and gossips that damaged really hard the King and the monarchy image inside and outside Morocco..Imo

The court managemet of the event was far away of being proffessional

Last edited by a moderator:
The court managemet of the event was far away of being proffessional
That i agree with, PR has never been the Moroccan court strong quality but this is a whole new level of failure from their part..and when the young Hassan Ourid was elemnated from his position as Palace spokman and replaced by someone (Abdelhak Lamrini) from the old generation from Hassan II old guard obviously that was a steep or several steeps behind.

I think we can say that they officially admit their divorce

Mohammed VI and Lalla Salma address an update consedering Gala article
https://mobile.ledesk.ma/2019/07/21/mohammed-vi-et-lalla-salma-adressent-une-mise-au-point-gala/
In an unusual outing, French royal palace lawyer Eric Dupond-Moretti, in the name of King Mohammed VI and Princess Lalla Salma, made an update to people magazine "Gala" accused of relaying "assertions serious "on the royal family.
A first. Through their French lawyer, Eric Dupond-Moretti, Mohammed VI and Lalla Salma jointly reacted Saturday, July 20 to the publication of an article published by the magazine Gala people. "The King of Morocco Mohammed VI and his ex-wife Lalla Salma are jointly aware that rumors of flight or kidnapping of children who have been circulating since the beginning of July are intolerable," adresses the Palace lawyer to the magazine of celebrities
These rumors are "firmly and formally contradicted" by the Alawite ruler and the princess, parents of Crown Prince Moulay El Hassan, 16, and Princess Lalla Khadija, 12,

.....the king and his wife are "scandalized", "in the face of these extremely serious assertions". "Mr Eric Dupond-Moretti is unqualified that they come from foreign sites spreading false information for malicious purposes", and recalls that this is an "act punishable by defamation", " adds the solicitor.
The comparison drawn with the escape of the princess Haya is also pointed out. "The comparison is based on nothing more than the fact that they are two princesses," says the lawyer of the monarch.....

Last edited:
They coul have avoid all that mess if the court just announce the divorce in a clear anf direct mannar.

It is unfortunate that King Mohammed VI and Lalla Salma did divorce. The way they handled the situation was disastrous.

also Moroccan Ambassador to France adresses to the matter of Lalla Salma and her kids vacation,seems that both Mohammed Vi and Lalla Salma are very very upset by the rumours
https://www.gala.fr/l_actu/news_de_stars/lalla-salma-toujours-en-grece-avec-ses-deux-enfants_432437

Chakib Benmoussa, Ambassador of Morocco in France. As proof, he wishes to point out that Lalla Salma has not returned from Greece and is currently staying there, not only with the young Moulay El Hassan, but with her two children. What's more, the family will soon join Morocco, proof that no form of blackmail has been exerted on the princess.
*The ambassador worries about the spread of "malicious rumors", while children have always been free to travel with their mother. If he does not justify the extreme rarity of Lalla Sallma in front of the photographers in recent months, he wishes to recall however that the princess, as free of her movements as her children.....

I am very much NOT an expect in Morocco or the way the royal court does things normally, but it seems the vast majority of this could have been avoided completely if there had just been discreet announcements at the beginning. Confirming a separation/divorce and Lalla Salma was no longer going to have a public role. Without it turning into an international incident.

I wonder if they're letting it be known that they are "very upset" by the rumours because of what's going on with Sheikh Mohammed and Princess Haya, which is also drawing even more attention to his two daughters? No one wanted Morocco to be drawn into the drama with the "Missing Wife Princess Lalla Salma" style headlines (again).

i agree Heavs,from start we all here said an official announcement will solve alot but i guess the palae and MRF underestimate the popularety of Lalla Salma in and outside Morocco,they thought she will be forgot very quickly

on other hand i totally understand they are angry of the comparasion with haya and Sheikh Mohammed case because the two situation are totally different it was stupid from Media to make the link

If lalla salma appears in an interview expressing her anger with the rumors ,that will be an excellent
Movement .

An article I am reading right now is highlighting both the King and the Princess' jointly condemning the 'escape rumors' that circulated since there is no custody conflict betwen the two. It says that they have shared custody with the two children. The lawyer Eric Dupond-Moretti also exclaimed that 'spreading of false information for malicious purposes is a punishable form of defamation.'

There's one thing that bothers me now, one source is saying the press release also shows that Lalla Salma retains her rank and style.

**https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/20...-lalla-salma-deny-rumors-of-custody-conflict/
**Communiqué de Mohammed VI et Lalla Salma du Maroc à propos de leur fille – Noblesse & Royautés

Last edited:
:previous: They may have had an amicable divorce and regardless of anything else, she is the mother of his children, more importantly, his heir. Since she is seemingly able to leave the country with her children when on holiday it would seem that retaining her title would be important to the RMF who have no reason to demean or demote her and losing her title would do that not to mention that it would be awkward when travelling with her titled children.

It also seems that she travels with the same retinue of security etc. when she is travelling and more with her children. For anyone to draw a comparison between her and Princess Haya is ridiculous and sheer mischief-making clickbait.

:previous: They may have had an amicable divorce and regardless of anything else, she is the mother of his children, more importantly, his heir. Since she is seemingly able to leave the country with her children when on holiday it would seem that retaining her title would be important to the RMF who have no reason to demean or demote her and losing her title would do that not to mention that it would be awkward when travelling with her titled children.

It also seems that she travels with the same retinue of security etc. when she is travelling and more with her children. For anyone to draw a comparison between her and Princess Haya is ridiculous and sheer mischief-making clickbait.

Indeed. I think they did and I hope this won't affect the Princess' patronages and her involvement with the communities in Morocco. It's sad that it has to go this way but I'm happy that it seems (after all the questions of her absences and so on) both the King and the Princess had an amicable divorce as reflected on her eat out with her daughter Lalla Khadija last April and the recent trip to Skiathos, Greece with CP Moulay Hassan and later confirmed Lalla Khadija was there too.

I just really hope for the best.

And anything would change if they both remarry?

I don't think it was entirely just clickbait. Yes it seems very thankfully incorrect but the international concern over what had happened to Lalla Salma was real. It wasn't known or acknowledged that they'd even divorced and her spending time in Greece with her children etc was a rumour that couldn't be verified either.

So the two situations are very much not the same but I can see why they jumped on any attempt to draw comparisons between the two in the news as the Princess Haya stories come to a head in that divorce. It's no co incidence that they've chosen to make statements *after* the Dubai situation is making scandalous headlines.

It doesn't seem like she's continuing with her causes and patronages after the divorce or there wouldn't have been the question of what happened to her in the first place.

And anything would change if they both remarry?

I have no clue too. The only thing that was stated in that article I read is that, Lalla Salma will be retaining her title and style after the divorce.

We'll have to wait for yet another announcement.

I have no clue too. The only thing that was stated in that article I read is that, Lalla Salma will be retaining her title and style after the divorce.

We'll have to wait for yet another announcement.

We'll have to wait to see if Lalla Salma ever remarries.
Though it was said she keeps her Princess title because she is the mother of the future King. And this fact will never change even if she gets married again ...

We'll have to wait to see if Lalla Salma ever remarries.
Though it was said she keeps her Princess title because she is the mother of the future King. And this fact will never change even if she gets married again ...

I like that. :flowers:

Indeed, after all, she is the mother to the future King.

She is still young (41) and attractive, why shouldn't she remarry?

She is still young (41) and attractive, why shouldn't she remarry?

Nobody said she shouldn't marry. What we are pointing out is that we can only know if the title and style Lalla Salma retained now will be affected should she decide to marry. Because we still don't know either.

I don't see why she can't keep her rank and style after another marriage Lalla Latifa did after re marrying after the death of Hassan II,Lalla Hania when she divorced Sultan Moulay Hafid (Great uncle of Mohammed VI) because she wanted to remind in Morocco after his abdication she did keep her rank and style when she married again (although a cousin of her ex husband)...she did keep that rank and style even after what happen with her husband and after hr was damned by RF and couldn't go back to Morocco even to be buried.
So i don't see why Lalla Salma could not be th same.

I don't see why she can't keep her rank and style after another marriage Lalla Latifa did after re marrying after the death of Hassan II,Lalla Hania when she divorced Sultan Moulay Hafid (Great uncle of Mohammed VI) because she wanted to remind in Morocco after his abdication she did keep her rank and style when she married again (although a cousin of her ex husband)...she did keep that rank and style even after what happen with her husband and after hr was damned by RF and couldn't go back to Morocco even to be buried.
So i don't see why Lalla Salma could not be th same.
I think the reason of the question is because of what happened with Diana of Wales, after her divorce she lost the titles... anyway, every monarchy has it own protocols.

Maybe people are afraid of this between Salma and Mohammed because they don't see any Picture/prove she is alive, just news.

Hope everything is ok.

:previous:
Well there not only news but also photos of Lalla Salma enjoying her life post divorce, photos if her in Grece, in Morocco, in New York with her children, having dinner with her daughter..... All it take is a little tour in Lalla Salma current thread.

Back
Top Bottom