King Carl XVI Gustaf's 60th Birthday Celebrations: April 28-30, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
princess olga said:
you know what, I kindof like his newfound pudgyness because it shows he knows how to enjoy life (as in, enjoying lots of great Greek food perhaps ;)

To stay with that photograph for a moment, just look at the lady he's accompanying: Mary here is really, in my opinion, a picture of grace and perfection. When I first saw the pictures on this thread, I thought Maxima was the belle of the ball, what with that blood-red gown of hers and that huge tiara. But on second glance, I have to say Mary comes out the winner--seriously, there's not one thing wrong with her look, she really has the regal thing down very very well.

Where Maxima got more instant attention with the loud red gown and the conspicuous tiara (good for her, of course!), Mary really is the real winner here with her sophisticated, understated elegance.

Maxima's gown was not loud, it was striking and she looked very attractive. Loud indicates that it was garish and flashy. It was neither. Mary looked very elegant, yes. They both looked beautiful. As for Nikolas, we all age and that is life. I doubt if he sees Greek food frequently at all. I, believe, he has not one drop of Greek blood. He is just aging and not as gracefully as some.

redfox6 said:
Maxima's gown was not loud, it was striking and she looked very attractive. Loud indicates that it was garish and flashy. It was neither.
there's no right or wrong here. We are all entitled to our own, individual opinions.

I think Maxima's appearance was ''loud'' and quite demanding on the spectators' eyes, as opposed to Mary's appearance who was sophisticated, exquisite and pleasant to our eyes.

Daneborn said:
These days Pavlos sure wins the prize as the Greek God.

I totally agree with you, Nikolaos has let himself go to waste:(

Daneborn said:
there's no right or wrong here. We are all entitled to our own, individual opinions.

I think Maxima's appearance was ''loud'' and quite demanding on the spectators' eyes, as opposed to Mary's appearance who was sophisticated, exquisite and pleasant to our eyes.

Mary looked like a shadow of her former sporty self: deathly pale, washed out, frail and looked old with the pearl choker. Maxima looked vivid and stunning with the gorgeous ruby tiara. She carried the tiara so much better than Mary did with her ruby tiara.

does anyone know if Point de Vue is sold in the US? and if so where? :rolleyes: cuz i would really love to get a copy of this issue celebrating the king's birthday.

mandyy said:
This week's Point De Vue has coverage on the King's 60th birthday

images from pointdevue.fr

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxima was classy, sexy and perfectly dressed for a festive occassion. Her personality can pull off a dress like the one she wore.

Conratulations

Congratulations King and Swedish Royal Family:)

highpriestess said:
Mary looked like a shadow of her former sporty self: deathly pale, washed out, frail and looked old with the pearl choker. Maxima looked vivid and stunning with the gorgeous ruby tiara. She carried the tiara so much better than Mary did with her ruby tiara.
i believe the ruby tiara (the one from Queen Ingrid) was left behind in Copenhagen ?? i didn't see it on display in Stockholm.

btw; it's quite natural for someone living in denmark to look pale in late april.

i agree a tan and a more colourful dress makes a person look more vibrant at a first glance, but I didn't see any evidence that Mary wasn't feeling well.

To some extent it is a little rude to try to outshine Queen Silvia. Even the Swedish princesses dressed modestly compared to their mother.

But Maxima isn't exactly known as a shy rose, and it probably would look odd if she tried to dress down. I don't really want to criticise her, she's a beautiful lady and I wasn't there so I can't really say what was going on.

I'm sure both Maxima and Mary were comfortable in what they were wearing and enjoying themselves.

Daneborn said:
i believe the ruby tiara (the one from Queen Ingrid) was left behind in Copenhagen ?? i didn't see it on display in Stockholm.

btw; it's quite natural for someone living in denmark to look pale in late april.

i agree a tan and a more colourful dress makes a person look more vibrant at a first glance, but I didn't see any evidence that Mary wasn't feeling well.

Did I say Mary felt ill??? No, I didn't. I just said she looked deathly pale, washed out, frail and old - thanks for the pearl choker.

If Swedish princesses could get a tan in Sweden, I'm sure Mary or any other Danish women could get a tan in Denmark. Heck, you don't even have to use a sun tanning bed. There's those sun tan spray I'm sure Mary's "professional skin consultant" knows about. Mary, for some reason, chose to be this deathly pale. And the pale gray lavender made her look completely washed out. She either doesn't have a mirror - which I doubt - or she's surrounded by people who keep telling her she looks good whatever she wears. She doesn't. White lies do not do her any favor.

I brought up the ruby tiara because Mary's ruby tiara never looked right on Mary. It looked too big for her head. Contrary to Maxima, I think Maxima looked far more regal carrying off this ruby tiara than Mary did. I simply disagree that Mary looked more regal as you and some others claimed. She looked washed out and didn't carry herself in a confident way as Maxima did at this occasion.

highpriestess said:
Did I say Mary felt ill??? No, I didn't. I just said she looked deathly pale, washed out, frail and old - thanks for the pearl choker.

I brought up the ruby tiara because Mary's ruby tiara never looked right on Mary. It looked too big for her head. Contrary to Maxima, I think Maxima looked far more regal carrying off this ruby tiara than Mary did. I simply disagree that Mary looked more regal as you and some others claimed. She looked washed out and didn't carry herself in a confident way as Maxima did at this occasion.

Now, now, girls! Play nicely....

Let's face it, even if you're pale, you can still wear something to brighten you up/contrast your skin colour (which Mary's done rather successfully on previous occasions), but looking at the pic with Nikolaus, I think it's her make-up that looked all wrong. I'll never forget one of the first brides I photographed: her face was MUCH to pale for the rest of her body but I didn't realize it on the day. Only when the photographs were printed did I see the shocking truth. :eek: (Needless to say, the marriage didn't last...)

And I agree that Mary's ruby tiara did not look right - ONLY on the occasion when she wore her hair loose (YUK!). However, on the occasion of her pre-wedding banquet, she wore it truly splendidly...in a way Maxima could learn from. Unfortunately, the most stunning I've seen Maxima wear a tiara was at CP Haakon's wedding before her own marriage; to me, she wasn't quite matched that elegance since (well, from what I've seen, anyway).

highpriestess said:

If Swedish princesses could get a tan in Sweden, I'm sure Mary or any other Danish women could get a tan in Denmark. Heck, you don't even have to use a sun tanning bed. There's those sun tan spray I'm sure Mary's "professional skin consultant" knows about. Mary, for some reason, chose to be this deathly pale. And the pale gray lavender made her look completely washed out. She either doesn't have a mirror - which I doubt - or she's surrounded by people who keep telling her she looks good whatever she wears. She doesn't. White lies do not do her any favor.

I interpreted deathly pale as a health condition. My mistake.

I agree the ruby tiara doesn't do Mary much justice and vice versa. It was better for Ingrid and her shorter, bowly hairstyle.

Whether Mary, Victoria or Madeleine want a tan and to what extend is their own personal business. Madeleine gets constant critique for her sunburned look. In 200 years people may look at pictures of princess Madeleine and think she looks like a hard working sugar plantation girl with her constant Brazilian tan. Victoria probably has another skin colour in herself than Mary does. We all know many Englishmen look like death itself with their superpale skin tone and the dark hair. I think however that Mary is right to play conservative when it comes to tanning as well as heavy makeup solutions. After all, she is not there to look sexy just like every other girl, she's there to honour a King's birthday on behalf of a neighbour country.

It could also be that Mary ''dressed down'' deliberately because she simply didn't want to be the centre of attention. Wheras Maxima felt she was up to it. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

I agree that Maxima did look gorgeous in that red dress. But. There's a but here: when you're young and good looking, and you pick a beautiful dress in bright red, you're guaranteed to be the center of attention--which may ultimately upstage the hosts of the party, if that's not you. Even a traffic light knows this.
This is why I think that Mary was better dressed: because she calculated in what her place was going to be for said occasion. As in, she was a guest at another royal house, and it was really a party at which the 'older' royals should have had the spotlight. Subtle Mary seems to have realized all this, and I have to say I can appreciate that.
Maxima typically also plans her clothes well, but for this one just judging by her clothes it certainly looked as if it was <her> throwing the party, and not anyone else, even if she didn't conciously planned it that way.

Please do not turn this into a fight about best-dressed/best be-jeweled lady - let's keep this thread on topic and not make it into something it's not here for. This is a thread to discuss the three day birthday celebrations of King Carl XVI Gustaf, so please do so with good taste.

Thank you!
// GrandDuchess, as Super Moderator.

joko said:
First of all, thank you for all these great pictures.
I was wondering why CP Mary wears her band with decorations from left to right and not like all other princesses from right to left...
like in this picture:
http://s2.supload.com/image.php?get=20-20060502022725.jpg

It´s becaus the ligthblue ribbon CP Mary is wearing is not the same as CP Victoria and her sister are wearing.
The ligthblue ribbon Mary is wearing is the order of the Elephant and it is the higest order we have her in Denmark...the ruel for wearing the order is that the person are wearing it from left to rigth.

I am not acquainted with the ruels for the Swedish ribbons :(

There are different rules for different orders. It has been discussed in detail during the King's birtday celebration threads and sites. Perhaps if you look back on this thread there will be some info for you.

:) :)
Wow, what a great display of jewels and fantastic dresses! I liked them all, although Pricess Mary's hairdo was quite strange and in my opinion it didn't really fit with the tiara. I guess queen Silvia's tiara was really heavy, at least that's how it seems to be. Beautiful pictures! The one from the Romanian site are great!

I loved the Point de Vue magazine cover - they featured the princesses, and cut out the future kings! I have to admit I'm more interested in the Princesses, but it's kind of funny that a royalty magazine is making it so obvious where its interest lies!

I saw only one pic of the Swedish Royal couple attending the first night dinner in honor of the King's 60th birthday, labeled 'private'.
On this occasion, Queen Silvia wore her black & white 1994 Nobel dress which must be an absolute favorite since she has worn it many times since. As I can't find the pic anymore, could anybody be so kind to post it here?

I went through this whole thread and was very impressed the pomp and circumstance. Great pics. I love seeing pics of the Swedish royals. The siblings look so happy.:)

rhea said:
does anyone know if Point de Vue is sold in the US? and if so where? :rolleyes: cuz i would really love to get a copy of this issue celebrating the king's birthday.

I've bought it at Borders bookstore.

Boris said:
I saw only one pic of the Swedish Royal couple attending the first night dinner in honor of the King's 60th birthday, labeled 'private'.
On this occasion, Queen Silvia wore her black & white 1994 Nobel dress which must be an absolute favorite since she has worn it many times since. As I can't find the pic anymore, could anybody be so kind to post it here?
really? I must have missed that... I only saw photos of Carl Philip and the king (and princess Madeleine from behind :) ) but none of queen Silvia...
If anyone find the photo, please post!

Does anyone know if a group photo including with King and all his royal guests and family was ever published?

Alisa said:
Does anyone know if a group photo including with King and all his royal guests and family was ever published?
dont think so... I´ve only seen ones of the royal family, one of the princesses and one of the ruling kings and queens

GrandDuchess said:
I think Emma Pernald, Prince Carl Philip's girlfriend, looked great tonight, and her dress is my favourite of the evening!

Queen Sonja also looked fantastic, her dress is really nice and it really suits her so well, and a good dress for such a party too! Princess Máxima was really radiant, nice to see her in such a different creation. Perhaps with sweet memories from earlier today, during Queen's Day! :) Princess Lilian was also very elegant, looking lovely as always - but one can see that she's really becoming more fragile now.

Emma?? You kidding? The best is Maxima. Emma is complete out. White dress?And that shoes? I don't agree with you, sorry.

Back
Top Bottom