Queen Sofia's Background - Princess of Greece

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrhcp

Royal Highness
Country
Canada
Could I ask some-one to "educate" me with Queen Sofia, namely
- I've heard that she has few friends in Spain / Madrid. Why is that ?
- in what country was she born / raised ?
- her relationship with King Juan Carlos is how ?

Originally posted by King Christian@Nov 5th, 2003 - 9:04 pm
Could I ask some-one to (temporarily back up, and) bring me up to speed (fill me in) with Queen Sofia, namely
- is it on account of language ?
I believe the Queen was born and raised in Greece, and unlike her brother who until very recently was not allowed into the country had he continued to insist on coming back to the country as the King of the Hellenes, the Queen is welcome to the country -- albeit as the Queen (and therefore a citizen) of Spain.

My understanding of why the Queen has few friends is not because of any language barrier, but simply because the Queen finds it difficult to trust people considering her position. I think she may have felt betrayed in the past by so called friends who spoke publicly about things she said privately. I have read that among the small circle of friends the Queen has are her sister Irene and Tatiana (?) Radziwill, or a Radziwill at any rate. I'm sure there are others who could better name the other individual the Queen holds as a close confidante.

Not sure what you want to know about the Queen's relationship with the King.

Thank you Alexandria.

Alexandria  Posted: Nov 5th, 2003 - 9:35 pm
(King Christian @ Nov 5th, 2003 - 9:04 pm)
Could I ask some-one to (temporarily back up, and) bring me up to speed (fill me in) with Queen Sofia, namely
- is it on account of language ?
I believe the Queen was born and raised in Greece, and unlike her brother who until very recently was not allowed into the country had he continued to insist on coming back to the country as the King of the Hellenes, the Queen is welcome to the country -- albeit as the Queen (and therefore a citizen) of Spain.

My understanding of why the Queen has few friends is not because of any language barrier, but simply because the Queen finds it difficult to trust people considering her position. I think she may have felt betrayed in the past by so called friends who spoke publicly about things she said privately. I have read that among the small circle of friends the Queen has are her sister Irene and Tatiana
Too bad about that.

vis-a-vis the king ... on one hand I've read here that their's is a very close family, and on the other hand, this hearing about few friends gave me to wondering ... ? is there something ?

Queen Sofia....Heir to several thrones in Europe?

Is it treu that Queen Sofia of Spain, bron Princess of Greece, is heir to the Greek, Danish, and even the German and British (her mother was a descendant of the German and British monarchs??) throne?
U1982187.jpg

She's is descendent from those monarchies, not heir to any throne ;)

Originally posted by George II@Nov 24th, 2003 - 2:58 pm
Is it treu that Queen Sofia of Spain, bron Princess of Greece, is heir to the Greek, Danish, and even the German and British (her mother was a descendant of the German and British monarchs??) throne
No, she isn't an heir to any of those thrones. Greece is a republic and she renounced her right to the throne upon her marriage to Juan Carlos. Denmark's succession is limited to the legitimate descendants of King Christian X and Queen Alexandrine. She is not eligable for the British throne because she is a Catholic (and even if she were, she would be way, way down the list). She has no succession rights in Germany. Firstly, it is a republic. Secondly, Hanover (which was annexed by Prussia in the 1860s) had salic law (meaning the throne couldn't pass on to a woman). In any event, there are enough male dynasts to head the household. Her maternal grandmother was born a Princess of Prussia (daugter of the last Kaiser), but again, the throne didn't pass in the female line.

I hope that makes sense.

Originally posted by George II@Nov 24th, 2003 - 3:53 pm
Wasn't she Greek-Orthodox?? Or maybe protestant (cause her mother was)?
She was Greek Orthodox until her marriage to Juan Carlos, after which time she converted to Catholicism. A non-Catholic Queen of Spain would have been unthinkable. Indeed, the Spanish monarchs are traditionally known as His/Her Catholic Majesty.

Her mother, Frederika, also converted to Orthodoxy.

Originally posted by Sean.~@Nov 24th, 2003 - 4:23 pm
Indeed, the Spanish monarchs are traditionally known as His/Her Catholic Majesty.
in fact no. the exact title of sofia would be, as in other monarchies, her royal highness. the only ones who could be known as their catholics majesties were isabel de castilla and fernando de aragon.

Sofia and the Kaiser.

hello everyone I was wondering if anyone can help with these questions I have. I know Her Majesty was very young when Kaiser Wilhelm II died.But does anyone know if she had at least any vague memories of him?Did Sofia inherit some of the Kaiser's characteristics?How does she feel about this Imperial Great-Grandfather?Has she ever even spoken about him?There is very few material that speaks of their connections or of Sofia's own reflections on her Imperial and Royal Prussian/German heritage.

This is the ideal topic for placing Queen Sofia's family tree (born Princess of Greece and Denmark).

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-R1VpfFby...1600/01-Infografia-arbol-genealogico-real.jpg
Princess Sophia of Greece and Denmark was born on 2 November 1938, at Tatoi Palace in Psychiko, Athens, Greece, the eldest child of King Paul and his wife, Queen Frederica. Sofia is a member of the Greek branch of the Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg dynasty. Her brother is the deposed King Constantine II and her sister is Princess Irene.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had forgotten that Queen Sofía's paternal grandmother,Sophia of Prussia and her maternal grandmother,Victoria Louise of Prussia were both born Princesses of Prussia.

I had forgotten that Queen Sofía's paternal grandmother,Sophia of Prussia and her maternal grandmother,Victoria Louise of Prussia were both born Princesses of Prussia.

And where aunt and niece. So that Emperor friedrich III. and his wife are bot her great-grandaprents as well as great-great-grandparents.

Another great grandmother was Princess Thyra of Denmark who was the daughter of Christian IX of Denmark,Queen Sofía's fascinating family tree!

Her matrilineal line goes back to Empress Augusta wife of Wilhelm II as well as Feodore of Leiningen, Queen Victoria's half-sister and daughter of the Duchess of Kent.

Queen Sofia's cousins

Paternal cousins:
Prince Amedeo, Duke of Aosta (son Princess Irene Duchess of Aosta)

Richard Paul George Andrew Brandram (son of Princess Katherine of Greece and Denmark)
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-U0z95c6d...4nNWowCLcBGAsYHQ/w640-h360/5fa925692cf58.jpeg

King Michael I of Romania (son of Helen of Greece and Denmark, Queen consort of Romania)
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OhLneHOU...-h406/2406-trtworld-gallery-164150-196990.jpg

Maternal cousins:
Children of Prince Ernest Augustus of Hanover:
*Princess Marie, Countess von Hochberg
*Ernst August, Prince of Hanover
*Prince Ludwig Rudolph
*Princess Olga
*Alexandra, Princess of Leiningen
*Prince Heinrich

Children of Prince George William of Hanover:
*Prince Welf Ernest
*Prince George
*Princess Frederica, Mrs. Cyr

Filhos de Prince Christian Oskar of Hanover:
*Caroline-Luise Mireille Irene Sophie, Princess of Hanover
*Mireille Viktoria Luise, Princess of Hanover

Last edited:
I am a little bit confused about one godmother of Queen Sofia: Some sources say that Queen Elizabeth II is among the godparents of her, but some sources say that Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother is among the godparents?

Can someone help me? Thank you!

I am a little bit confused about one godmother of Queen Sofia: Some sources say that Queen Elizabeth II is among the godparents of her, but some sources say that Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother is among the godparents?

Can someone help me? Thank you!

Elizabeth II was only 12 when Sophia was born, so that would seem to rule her out.

My understanding of why the Queen has few friends is not because of any language barrier, but simply because the Queen finds it difficult to trust people considering her position. I think she may have felt betrayed in the past by so called friends who spoke publicly about things she said privately. I have read that among the small circle of friends the Queen has are her sister Irene and Tatiana (?) Radziwill, or a Radziwill at any rate. I'm sure there are others who could better name the other individual the Queen holds as a close confidante.

Queen Sofia of Spain & princess Beatrix of the Netherlands are very close friends, princess Beatrix visit Spain quite often every year to see the Spanish royals.

Back
Top Bottom