The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-30-2019, 01:00 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't find it strange that Queen Letizia goes alone with Leonor to visit King Juan Carlos. She is criticized for anything she does. King Philip VI yesterday explained that they would make the visits this way so as not to overload the patient.
I also think that King Felipe VI goes to Norway alone because of the political crisis in Spain, so they decided that the other members of the royal family should stay in Spain.

Old 08-30-2019, 01:33 PM
Commoner

I've never believe King Juan Carlos and Queen Letizia have a bad relationship, maybe is not perfect as in every family happens but they respect each other for sure, for me everything is the press, they need everyday something really juicy to sell more and more magazines or to have more audience, Letizia has been always the easiest target of the Royal Family. The true is that you need to live in Spain to know how miserly the press really is. King Felipe going solo to Norway, for me makes sense, King Juan Carlos is still in hospital, only one week ago he had an open-heart sugery which is a mayor surgery, and the government circus we have, they have taken de right choice, low profile.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:01 PM
Commoner

IMO....the king is up to visitors. With the PM and wife visiting it indicates to the public the King is not considered critical and can have visitation from others that are not family. Also if other visitors are allowed it does not fall onto the family to go several times a day, especially with their current duties. Having DIL and grand daughter visit is fine....there is nothing wrong with that...besides their are probably many medical staff around, especially since he is a King, retired or not. Maybe his grand daughter wanted a special visit.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladejesus View Post
I find it really strange that QL visited alone with Leonor. If my father-in-law were in the hospital I wouldn't be visiting him without my spouse or mother-in-law. I'm not his daughter and wouldn't want to make it awkward for him.
Letizia has been part of the family for 15 years and is the mother of two of Juan Carlos grandchildren. I don't find it odd at all that Letizia and Leonor paid JC a visit.
Old 08-30-2019, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Letizia is the queen consort of Spain and I don't find it odd at all for visiting without the King,it was the PM visit I found odd.

September 14th ,1982 :Death of HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
Old 08-30-2019, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

It's nice to see that Leonor and Sofia visited on different days - it's a good idea IMO for both the princess and the infanta to have some individual "quality time" with their grandfather whilst he recovers.
I find it more odd that people think it's odd Letizia is alone. As has already been said, she's been a part of the family for a long time and is the mother to two of Juan Carlos's grandchildren. That's pretty much part of the family to me; just because in-laws aren't blood relations doesn't mean they shouldn't be treated as outsiders still and not blood relatives. (Maybe I just have a tight-knit family, but I'm very used to in-laws being treated like their spouse's parent's own biological child).

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-30-2019, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

The prime minister must have gone to visit King Juan Carlos to show that he is close to the royal family. I don't think there's anything wrong, but those who follow Spanish politics know that Pedro Sánchez is very fond of appearing ...
Old 08-30-2019, 07:19 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't see an issue with in-laws visiting without their partners but I guess it very much depends on your family dynamics.

Equally if they are only visiting in pairs makes sense for Felipe to go with one of the girls and Letizia the other.

Interesting that the PM visited, seems a little odd IMO unless they are close?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:18 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Juan Carlos leaves hospital

https://www.abc.es/espana/casa-real/...6_noticia.html
https://twitter.com/24h_tve/status/1167750785918279680
Old 08-31-2019, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

A few more photos of queen Letizia and the Princess of Asturias from yesterday.

https://www.ppe-agency.com/show.php?...-2019%20Madrid

Old 08-31-2019, 08:03 AM
Heir Apparent

Will Queen Sofia be a Nurse ??
Old 08-31-2019, 08:44 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
I think they already have staff to look after the King. It is not the first time he had to revalidate after a serious medical operation.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:48 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I don't see an issue with in-laws visiting without their partners but I guess it very much depends on your family dynamics.

Equally if they are only visiting in pairs makes sense for Felipe to go with one of the girls and Letizia the other.

Interesting that the PM visited, seems a little odd IMO unless they are close?
It did happen here in the Netherlands as well: a PM visiting a former Queen, or a former Consort. Then the reason is: they belong to the Royal House, for which the PM is politically responsible. This will not be different with the Casa Real and the Spanish PM.
Old 08-31-2019, 10:27 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
Is she a nurse? I think they already took care of it. I just hope the King will have a smooth recuperation.

The Royal Fly®️
Old 08-31-2019, 11:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalfly View Post
Is she a nurse? I think they already took care of it. I just hope the King will have a smooth recuperation.
Last week we saw a nurse walking in the cortège at Princess Christina's funeral. It turned out that the lady has been the nurse of Prince Claus, Princess Juliana, Prince Bernhard and Princess Christina. She was their trusted carer until their deaths.

It is an extremely discreet position, as royals are often totally vulnerable and people can misuse a position to sell pictures or something to media. Once a royal family has full confidence in a nurse, the loyalty is total from both sides. That will not be different with a nurse at La Zarzuela or at any other court. The King's late mother was wheelchair-bound and must have had nurses in her time.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:59 AM
Heir Apparent

King Juan Carlos was in good spirits and being very much his own self this morning as he left the hospital. To the reporters question of how was he feeling, he candidly answered:

"As if I have had a truck going by over me!"
Old 08-31-2019, 03:34 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Great to see Juan Carlos back at home. Seems like he would get on well with the Duke of Edinburgh, they seem to share a similar sense of humour!

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-31-2019, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I'm sure the Spanish Royal Family are relieved that the old king is now home and they don't have to do those public hospital visits in the constant glare of the media.

Tags
king juan carlos, king juan carlos health, spains king