The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2013, 02:38 PM
Heir Apparent

I think infection could mean added risk/complications to an operation, especially if the person is in frail health.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Nobility

Praise the Lord it wasn't the abdication

Old 09-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

King rejects abdication talk

AFP: Spain's king rejects abdication talk ahead of hip op

Irish Independent

New hip operation for Juan Carlos - Independent.ie
Old 09-20-2013, 04:22 PM
Majesty
TRF Author

Palace in Spain denies rumours King Juan Carlos to abdicate - Telegraph

IMO they did the fanfare to get the other message across, that the King wont abdicate.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
Left hip surgery to replace the prosthesis that is infected.

Doctor Cabanela of Mayo Clinic will do the surgery in Madrid.

And all this just to announce this
You seem disapointed .I guess you were hoping for an abdication
Even if I am no longer a great fan of King Juan Carlos and by other members of that dysfonctionnal family ,I cannot but feel very sad for him.

This is a very bad news and I hope him a speedy recovery.
Being compassionnate is the minimum expected from a human being.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Palace in Spain denies rumours King Juan Carlos to abdicate - Telegraph

IMO they did the fanfare to get the other message across, that the King wont abdicate.
Exactly,lets hope that sets the record straight ...for the time being.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:42 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
I don't think the King will ever abdicate, he, along with Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Margrethe II, will reign until the day he falls from the Throne, dead. And that's a good thing, Kingship is a job for life, in my opinion.

But maybe a Regency will turn to be a good idea. The King will be able to relax and recover, and the Prince of Asturias will get the chance to show he'll be a good Sovereign, and I have no doubts he will.
I agree, I also think Juan Carlos won't abdicate, although I can see Felipe performing more of his royal duties. IIRC he has said that he isn't going to abdicate (Queen Margarethe has also said this). However I think that abdicating could be a good decision.

Hopefully he will recover soon.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I hope His Majesty's operation is a success and that he has a swift recovery!
Old 09-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Imperial Majesty

They organized a press conference, have revolutionized and made ​​the country full of rumors all day ... simply to announce another surgery.

I think it was totally unnecessary, with a statement as before would have been enough. They could not say when the surgery is, or where... Could not have waited at least to be clear about the basic data?

Spain and the Monarchy already has enough problems, to cause unnecessary spectacles.

The king is a Head of State who has been absent half the time in the last three years. Because the King and politicians, Spain does not even have a regency law that allows the Prince to replace him in many activities. In a country with economic and institutional crisis, with a monarchy threatened by the scandals ... this situation is an absolute mess.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative - Morocco

so many surgeries in sush short time must be painful,i hope for his Majesty quick recover
Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soraya View Post
You seem disapointed .I guess you were hoping for an abdication
Even if I am no longer a great fan of King Juan Carlos and by other members of that dysfonctionnal family ,I cannot but feel very sad for him.

This is a very bad news and I hope him a speedy recovery.
Being compassionnate is the minimum expected from a human being.
Mmmm...I agree with Lula here. You should have seen the expectation created this afternoon with the press conference, the comments on Twitter, etc...

I was at the University and my classmates were talking about it. Everyone of us were like: "I donīt think so, but what if...?" Everything was very confusing. It this was the only announcement to make, all this fuss was completely unneccessary. They could have perfectly announced it in the morning if they had wanted to avoid the comments. I agree with Duke too, they wanted to make clear that he isnīt going to abdicate any time soon.

It doesnīt have to do anything with being compassionate, actually.

I donīt really understand your post. It isnīt a secret that some of us here would like the King to retire. And I donīt think itīs a crime, either, is it?
But insinuating that we show no compassion or we are dissapointed...well, that is going a little too far, donīt you think?

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 09-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
Mmmm...I agree with Lula here. You should have seen the expectation created this afternoon with the press conference, the comments on Twitter, etc...

I was at the University and my classmates were talking about it. Everyone of us were like: "I donīt think so, but what if...?" Everything was very confusing. It this was the only announcement to make, all this fuss was completely unneccessary. They could have perfectly announced it in the morning if they had wanted to avoid the comments. I agree with Duke too, they wanted to make clear that he isnīt going to abdicate any time soon.

It doesnīt have to do anything with being compassionate, actually.

I donīt really understand your post. It isnīt a secret that some of us here would like the King to retire. And I donīt think itīs a crime, either, is it?
Completely agree.... and yes, a thunderstorm at the wrong time, bad PR and a (another) awkward step.
They MUST have expected spreading rumors like this - which is even more questioning the king and the continuity of his reign. If situations like these continue, sooner or later the People may BAG him some day to leave the throne.
Bye Bine
Old 09-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Vanity Fair article has stated very clearly what will happen or not happen:

For the most part, Spain’s political and media establishments would prefer that the King stay, fearing a shock to the system were he to leave while the nation is in such dire straits. “We are very clear against abdication,” said Pedro Ramírez. “You ask for the resignation of the minister of health or foreign affairs if he has done something wrong. But you don’t ask for the abdication of the King, just because he has been out of the country on a weekend in Botswana with a blonde woman. El Mundo is saying the only two scenarios in which we would ask for abdication would be, first, if he has a serious health problem—mainly mental incapacity. And, second, if there were not circumstantial evidence but real proof of wrongdoing.”
I dont understand why do they ring "abdication-bells" every time something happens..
That fellow, whoever he is, has spoken so sensibly. Just because he went on a hunting trip with a blonde doesnt mean he has to abdicate.The King has hardly done any mistake beyond that..
Those silly people taking out all the revenge for bad economy,policy failure, political mismanagement, on The King, and hoping his abdication will cure Spain of all its problems ..its ridiculous..
Old 09-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post

I dont understand why do they ring "abdication-bells" every time something happens..
That fellow, whoever he is, has spoken so sensibly. Just because he went on a hunting trip with a blonde doesnt mean he has to abdicate.The King has hardly done any mistake beyond that..
Those silly people taking out all the revenge for bad economy,policy failure, political mismanagement, on The King, and hoping his abdication will cure Spain of all its problems ..its ridiculous..
Sounds very Marie Antoinette. Let's blame the royals not the incompetent ministers and politicians
Old 09-21-2013, 02:25 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

JC's grey men used the announcement to show who's boss. There will be a surgery but JC is firm in his place. He will not give one bit to Felipe.
In my opinion, and the quotation re abdication I posted earlier, JC will die as King with the only possibility of abdication because of mental incapability. Another important point is that he will take his immunity to his grave. Those who have followed King Juan Carlos over the past decades will know that bringing Spain to democracy wasnt a straight walk in the park and in case of abdication/lost immunity there might be people out there who could start digging. That would be the worst immaginable start for a King Felipe.

If Felipe will have his time and place will others decide, not Juan Carlos by inthronising him on his behalf.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:09 AM
Courtier

Quote:
JC's grey men used the announcement to show who's boss. There will be a surgery but JC is firm in his place. He will not give one bit to Felipe.
What is the necessity to show who's the boss..
Of course The King is and will be the boss.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:33 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkrish View Post
What is the necessity to show who's the boss..
Of course The King is and will be the boss.
as a response to those who think that its time for felipe to replace his father or become regent during his time of recovery.
i dont think we would have this discussion if beatrix or albert hadnt packed in (for different reasons).
i personally find it outrageous that somebody is labelled 'to old for a job' because of physical problems. the mind is crucial, not the body. its respectless to say, after such a long reign and achievements for spain, step aside old man, because you are wobbly on your feet, and let your son do the job. on what basis? the hunting weekend was a grave mistake that the king recognized and apologized for. its no reason to step down, if so the institution would not be worth its name.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Imperial Majesty

The problem is that the abdication was an absolute taboo, and in the last year it is not, and that has caused much fear in some, especially those in power and the most conservative. But fear of losing their own power and influence that the change is negative for the country.

The economic crisis, corruption problems, caused a crisis in the Crown and other institutions. Ideally, the king, the politicians and those who have the power, had listened to citizens, and should give the steps for a change. The reality is that despite all that has happened, they hold the power to change as little as possible.

Somehow people, think in a second transition, a younger generation, well-educated and earn to do things differently. Strong leaders who are willing and prepared to fight for the country forward. Obviously a king sick and old, embroiled in scandals of lovers and corruption that can barely meet many of his functions ... is not the best leader for a country also sick and tired.

The king gives the feeling of being a sick man clinging to power ... has tried to accelerate his recovery and that only managed to have relapses and problems... no abdication, no regency, only gives the Prince strictly necessary activities ...

It was perfect a solution as Norway, King Harald was sick and Haakon held the regency. The king recovered safely and the country did not see a weak leader.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duke, the problem is not Corinna the German mistress, the problem is Corinna the commission of millionaires business. There's the scandal.

Noos and Corinna have put the king in the epicenter of corruption scandals. Those close to him have used his influence to do business millionaires and of dubious legality ... he has looked the other way.

Not to mention the many efforts being made for his daughter is not tried as a normal citizen and her golden exile in Switzerland.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
as a response to those who think that its time for felipe to replace his father or become regent during his time of recovery.
i dont think we would have this discussion if beatrix or albert hadnt packed in (for different reasons).
i personally find it outrageous that somebody is labelled 'to old for a job' because of physical problems. the mind is crucial, not the body.
totally agree, if you want comparisons:
Franklin D. Roosevelt, often regarded as one of the best US presidents, had some major physical problems, but that didn't stop him from ruling the country..
And the scientific world would have greatly suffered if people had convinced Stephen Hawking he was no longer useful when his physical problems began...

I'm not against abdication as such, but only if the person himself wishes it...

Tags
king juan carlos, king juan carlos health, spains king