The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-04-2014, 02:06 AM
Nobility

Felipe became the Prince of Asturias when he was only 11 years old in 1977, I don't know how will they do it in the case of Leonor but it is my understanding the moment an apparent move up in the line of succession the next of kin will do exactly the same and fill out the "open position" the previous royal left vacant, in Spain the next of kin of a King is called Prince of Asturias so it's very precise, regardless of wishes, if and buts, but I may be wrong.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula View Post
That facebook page is not official
Sorry lula, regarding the ceremonies, I don't seem to get it.

So on 18th Felipe will be declared King in the Cortes, and there will be the sworn-in ceremony.
But the sworn-in ceremony has not yet been confirmed for June 18th, correct, and it is possible that it will be on a different day?

Has either day already been confirmed by casareal?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

Duke, there really is so much information and sometimes so confusing that it is difficult to understand how the process is going to be exactly. So it is better to stick to official sources, giving clear information.

It seems that everything has to be done on the same day ... final passage of the law, officially signed by King Juan Carlos and proclamation of the new king.

The President of Parliament has proposed that the date is June 18. But the Royal House has not yet officially confirmed that date.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Thanks lula for clarifying, there is indeed contradicting information in the media on this topic.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Abdication is the big topic on the mags' front pages:

http://www.ecestaticos.com/imagestat...ime=1401862887
http://www.ecestaticos.com/imagestat...ime=1401862903
http://www.ecestaticos.com/imagestat...ime=1401862917
Old 06-04-2014, 06:04 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaniaRocks View Post
Felipe became the Prince of Asturias when he was only 11 years old in 1977, I don't know how will they do it in the case of Leonor but it is my understanding the moment an apparent move up in the line of succession the next of kin will do exactly the same and fill out the "open position" the previous royal left vacant, in Spain the next of kin of a King is called Prince of Asturias so it's very precise, regardless of wishes, if and buts, but I may be wrong.
I think that you´re right, or at least that´s what the media is reporting these days.
From the moment Felipe is declared king, Leonor will be inmediately Princess of Asturias.
That doesn´t mean we won´t have an official ceremony of proclamation as Princess such as Felipe had in Covadonga (that has not been confirmed in any moment), but then that would be a mere formalism. She would already be Princess.

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:06 AM
Majesty

Leonore will be the youngest of the crown princesses and princes

4 crown princess

Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, Duchess of Västergötland (Sweden) age 36
Princess Elisabeth, Duchess of Brabant (Belgium) age 12
Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange (Netherlands) age 10
Infanta Leonor of Spain, princess of Asturias (Spain) age 8
Old 06-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNIE_S View Post
I think that you´re right, or at least that´s what the media is reporting these days.
From the moment Felipe is declared king, Leonor will be inmediately Princess of Asturias.
That doesn´t mean we won´t have an official ceremony of proclamation as Princess such as Felipe had in Covadonga (that has not been confirmed in any moment), but then that would be a mere formalism. She would already be Princess.
Does it make a difference that Leonor will not become heiress apparent but heiress presumptive?
Old 06-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it will not make a diference from Heiress apparent to Heiress presumptive. They have the same rights, only that the presumptive could be a "temporary" position if no son is born.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
I think it will not make a diference from Heiress apparent to Heiress presumptive. They have the same rights, only that the presumptive could be a "temporary" position if no son is born.
I meant it in terms of timing, when the title PoA will be granted, straight away or later.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think this time it will be given right away, at least is what some reports say. Prince Felipe had the title PoA two years later after his father was made King, but this time I think it will be automatic.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Does it make a difference that Leonor will not become heiress apparent but heiress presumptive?
It doesn´t. There have been other cases, as noted before: Princess Isabella (Alfonso XII´s older sister) was Princess of Asturias and she lost the title when her brother was born. Same with AXII´s eldest daughter, Maria de las Mercedes, until Alfonso XIII was born.

AFAIK, a Prince(ss) of Asturias is always necessary, as long as an heir is always necessary, but the title´s holder can change.

Vote in TRF Fashion Polls!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:52 AM
Majesty

In the Netherlands and in Belgium, there was a signing of the Act of Abdication, followed by the Investiture Ceremony. I suppose this will be the same in Spain (all on one day).

Pic: Queen Beatrix signs the Act of Abdication, after the signing she is Princess Beatrix of the Netherlands, source: Zimbio
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/I...xnkcYi5YRx.jpg

Pic: King Willem-Alexander counter-signs the Act of Abdication as a witness, source: Zimbio
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/I...536PTJshEx.jpg

Pic: the Act of Abdication itself, source: Zimbio
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/I...ptgAUNgIzx.jpg

Pic: the Investiture after the abdication, source: Zimbio
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/K...EjHasuNd1x.jpg

I think Spain will follow the examples of the Netherlands and Belgium.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Imperial Majesty

As I said yesterday, what was done when Juan Carlos was proclaimed king, can not now be repeated. The king was proclaimed with Franco laws, and then there was a process of reforms to the Constitution of 78.

In the press there are many speculations, so we just have to wait, for the Royal House to confirmations.

Yes Duc, probably the king officially sign the abdication in a ceremony at the Royal Palace. And perhaps in this ceremony we will see the sisters of the king and even the Infanta Cristina.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent

In other words, Juan Carlos had sworn in under completely different circumstances and laws. On June 18th the process will differ.
I too think that Leonor will become Princess of Asturias immediately.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:25 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

King to lose immunity along with throne | In English | EL PAÍS
King Juan Carlos's reign in Spain ends amid falling popularity and bungling | World news | theguardian.com
King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates: Spanish government clears way for Prince Felipe to be crowned before the end of the month - Europe - World - The Independent

I am curious about the future role of the old king and the immunity issue. 2 paternity lawsuits are looming and if people decide digging there could be worse.
Furthermore, the old kings seem to remain in Zarzuela I with F&L remaining in Zarzuela II, how easy will it be for Felipe to clean house with the old king and his men still around?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:48 AM
Imperial Majesty

The King and Queen will be removed to the residential part of Zarzuela, and all area offices and reception rooms will be available to the new king.

Prince Felipe will place his own team that will now be free to act, until now they had to fulfill the orders of the King team.

Spottorno, Chief of the House of the King, had worked there before and was recovered in times of crisis, but he has 69 years. Probably like him, there are others who are past retirement age but are still maintained there for confidence of the King and Queen.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:24 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
King to lose immunity along with throne | In English | EL PAÍS
King Juan Carlos's reign in Spain ends amid falling popularity and bungling | World news | theguardian.com
King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates: Spanish government clears way for Prince Felipe to be crowned before the end of the month - Europe - World - The Independent

I am curious about the future role of the old king and the immunity issue. 2 paternity lawsuits are looming and if people decide digging there could be worse.
Furthermore, the old kings seem to remain in Zarzuela I with F&L remaining in Zarzuela II, how easy will it be for Felipe to clean house with the old king and his men still around?
Yeah, the immunity issue is something, that may become a boomerang for JC .

For the Zarzuela situation, I do not see a major problem here. I think, that the NEW King may want to remain in their villa anyway.

And the "grey men"? Well, they will have exactly this amount of power, what the NEW King is intending to give to them.
The old king wont have any official power any more, so it is up to Felipe to decide, whether he wants to keep them or fire them.
Due to the negative "politics" in Zarzuela against the CP Couple during the last years I hope he will get rid of some of the biggest internal enemies.

BYe Bine
Old 06-05-2014, 07:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will make presentation visits during the summer.

The firsts destinations will be Portugal, France and Morocco.

On August 4, they will travel to Belgium to the commemoration of the centenary of the beginning of the First World War.

Felipe y Letizia dedicarán julio y agosto a un 'tour' para presentar su reinado. Diario de Noticias de Navarra
Old 06-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm curious about this. I know there have been rumors for several years about king JC and other women, but I've never heard anything about paternity lawsuits?

Tags
abdication, king felipe vi, king juan carlos, king juan carlos abdication