Queen Paola´s 70th birthday; September 11, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the documentary 'the voice of the queen', made by Jan Becaus on 'één' is mentioned here. The queen talks to friends instead of giving a real interview. It was made very professional and nice to watch.

I can't remember Paola gave an interview for her 65 anniversary...

BTW: Philippe gives interviews all the time when he is on economic mission. Of course you never get to know something from his personal feelings or thoughts... (exept the interview with Van Raak in China about Vlaams Belang, which the prince won't do again)

It's sad the whole royal family thinks an interview is torture, they realy don't like it. A pitty, they could be more accepted if they did. It would shut the rumours down...

Queen Paola did give a writen interview for her 65 anniversery. She agreed to answer questions from journalists of several papers, they had to send them in writing to the palace and they got the answers back on paper. These answers had to be to disposal to all media.

The whole interview in Dutch kan be found here:
http://www.gva.be/dossiers/-k/koningshuis/actua2000/actua183.asp

In the interviews to announce the documentary 'the voice of the queen', Jan Becaus told that Queen Paola was willing to give an interview, but the 'entourage' said: "No madam, that is not possibel". Queen Paola seemed not very pleased with that advice but she folowed it. So this nice documentary maybe wasn't the first option, but it has appeared a great solution after all in my opinion.

Why wouldn't they advice her to do an interview? Though I have to say that the television portrait was lovely too.

My birthdate is the day before hers, COOL.

´Het Nieuwsblad´ had a nice interview with somebody who is attending the birthday celebration of Queen Paola. The article can be found here (Dutch only)

I kind of think it's better that the Queen doesn't have to do an actual sit down interview. I mean there are plenty of ways for Belgium to cover the story and look at the past 70 years of her life by doing documentaries or other types of features on her. I think it kind of adds mystery and charm to royalty when they aren't constantly granting interviews. Besides Belgium has some political problems right now doing an interview could be awkward.

The Flemish broadcaster will air a TV documentary on Queen Paola (VTM Royalty: "Koningin Paola 70", 09/09, 17:55). Most likely the programme will be online afterwards.

The documentary highlights her life as queen, how she managed the complete turnaround in her life after Baudouin´s death and her deep consternation during the Dutroux scandal. There will be interviews with confidents: e.g. on Paola´s youth with the Marchionesses Antonella, Giovanna and Emanuela San Martino di San Germano (close relatives), or with a paparazzi who follows Paola since the late 1950ties.

VTM revealed some details about the persons who have been interviewed for the documentary on Queen Paola:
- Marchionesses Giovanna, Antonella and Emanuela San Martino di San Germano, daughters of Paola´s sister Maria Christina and very close to Paola.
- Donna Claudia Ruffo di Calabria: daughter of Paola´s brother Antonello.
- Rino Barillari, aka "King of Paparazzi"
- Mariana Poswick: school day friend and daughter of Prosper Poswick, Belgian ambassador to the Vatican from 1957 tot 1968. She witnessed the first meeting of Albert and Paola in Italy.
- And Luisella Maria Capasso, Countess Arcangela di Sanbuy and Princess Maria Camilla Pallavicini also school day friends of Paola.

Good grief, the names of those people. I want to take the first flight to Rome while even just reading them!

Thanks for the info Johann, it seems that it will be a rather interesting programme.

I would like to send a card to Paola wishing her a happy birthday, but I'm a little confused about where to send it. According to monarchie.be, this is how I should address the envelope:

Royal Palace
Department Petitions
Rue Bréderode 16 Brederodestraat
B-1000 Bruxelles - Brussel

Should I put "HM the Queen" somewhere so they know who the card is for? Thanks!

Thanks Stephanie. It seems the King and Queen sat down to some sort of interview, they are on chairs in a cricle with cameras around the, Do yo have any idea what it was? It also seems that Paola made a little speech.

Nice to see the small Belgian royals again btw.

I have seen a report on television

A big part of the royal family was there:
*The king
* The queen
* Princess Mathilde
* Prince Filip
* Princess Claire
* Prince Laurent
*Princess Louise
* Prince Aymeric
* Prince Nicolas
* Princess Leatitia Maria
* Princess Louisa Maria

This are the ones I have seen on television
They said Astrid was not there because she is in England and Queen Fabiola calles this morning that she was sick so she was not there.

Princess Claire with Niolas
Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

Princess Leatitia Maria and princess Louise

Queen Paola with Princess Leatitia Maria and princess Louise

Princess Louise

Queen Paola with Princess Leatitia and princess Louisa Maria

Queen Paola and King Albert

Queen Paola and King Albert

Last edited:
Last edited:
Queen Paola is truly lovely and understated--a very gracious queen and credit to her county.
Was Fabiola not able to attend? I didn't see any pics of her--

She called in sick, accroding to the Flemish television news.

The King has aged quite a lot and looks very frail!

I think the complicated political stalemate in his country, with the French and Dutch speaking communties drifting apart and uncontrollable centrifugal (separatistic) powers at the cost of the federal state have a high toll on the plagued Sovereign.

:ermm:

I think everyone looks wonderful. The Queen looks lovely and the King looks very nice as well. He seems to be progressing well after his recent leg/knee issues. I always notice that there are pics of the King laughing and having a jolly good time. The word jolly always comes to mind when I think of King Albert. I love Mathilde's dress! Wonder why the children of Philippe and Mathilde weren't there? Maybe I missed the reasoning from a previous post though.

Thanks so much Stephanievl for providing such great links. When it comes to keeping up with the Belgian RF, I'm not sure what we do sometimes without you!

I love the pictures of Louise and Laetitia-Maria together - they look like they're such good friends.

Paola looks marvellous for 70. And despite being a bit frail after surgery, the king looks rather good as well.

I just saw the Flemish news, Paola was thanking her guests during a small speech. She said that the most beautiful gift she could receive was that those people were involved in protecting children, day in day out.

The Queen seemed a bit nervous while she was speeching, I think she doesn´t like to be in the center of attention.

happy 70 birthday

happy birthday for here majesty .....................it will be sooooo nice celebration

I saw that Paul and Betty Marshal, parents of the murdered Ann Marchal were there too, they even talked to the King for a while.

In the mean time, does anybody know what Astrid and Lorenz are doing in the UK?

Funny that little Louise and Laeticia-Marie were helping the Queen with the opening of the gifts. A pity that more grandchildren couldn´t make it but I am still hoping for a nice grouppicture on her actual birthday.

Mathilde´s skirt.... sigh. While she usually gets it right.

In the mean time, does anybody know what Astrid and Lorenz are doing in the UK?

It is because they left accompanied Joachim for his school "entry" in England

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom