The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Denmark > Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
And the saga continues.
Various excerpts from the BT interview is surfacing.

Prins Henrik taler ud i eksklusivt interview: Jeg har gjort det bedste, jeg kunne for Danmark

Prins Henrik: "Jeg har gjort det bedste, jeg kunne for Danmark" - Avisen.dk

Prins Henrik : Jeg er ikke gået på pension - Herognu

The quotes in no particular order reads:
Q: Is it a part of You going on some sort retirement, that You have turned down the number of official duties?
PH: "No, we are not discussing it/talking about it, but as I say: It's not a retirement, but I've decided not take as much part any more. To be discreet. And not doing anything official".

"I've done the best I could for Denmark. That is my duty, which I'm very fond of/pleased with".

"Well, You call it being retired, but you are not going on retirement, when you are royal".

But does he prefer to stay at Cayx on his birthday?
PH: "Well, I don't necessarily prefer that. I miss being on the Faeroe Islands tomorrow, where Dannebrog is on official visit, because I like the Faeroe Islands and I like the Faeorese. But You know.. I find peace and quiet here, and I'm here at Cayx for some weeks or some time alone - Away from everything".

At the same time in May alone, PH had eleven engagements, mainly with his own protections.

Thanks Muhler

He sounds disappointed in not being able to go, and indicating that it wasn't his decision.....or is he just trying to get some attention again?

You can't have it both ways PH!

Old 06-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think he appears particularly depressed. I think Henrik wants what Henrik likes. He enjoys warmth and the sun and therefore he's passing on going on the yacht and having the Faroe Islands experience. What does seem quite noticeable though, is that he seems to have rejected not just his wife but his family in this journey towards finding peace and contentment. Most very old people enjoy being with grandchildren and relaxing in the bosom of their family but he has gone in very much the other direction. It's very strange, really.
Very much agree with what you wrote. However, Henrik strikes me as a selfish being. He is living a life with extreme privileges and utter luxuries. Yes he is a senior, however so is his wife. He signed up to be a consort and with this comes specific obligations. This may be harsh, but there are many current and previous consorts that have dedicated their lives to their birth or adopted country and position. His legacy is one of him complaining of his wife's and eldest son's birthright.

I feel sorry for QMII.

Old 06-13-2016, 06:59 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
No family photoshot in Gârsten this year ?
That's a really good question!

That'll be interesting to see!

I think if PH is not there, then the Berleburgs will show up in force to support QMII, and M&F and J&M are bound to show up as well, regardless of other plans - otherwise the press would have field day! (They still would!)
Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

BB confirmed on their Facebook site last week that Frederik, Mary and children will stay on Gråsten during their summer vacation again this year (as they did last year).

So I guess we will see a family photoshoot like last year, And I'm quite sure we will see Henrik there as well.

Last year's photo session was by the way one of the best and most relaxed we've ever seen. So I guess it will be the same this year, and with Henrik there. I can't see why he shouldn't attend. But okay, you never know with him...
Old 06-14-2016, 07:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestMom View Post
If I may offer an observation: my husband was 71 when he died. As he got older (and sicker) he seemed to 'return to his roots' as I thought of it. He became more like his mother - in opinions, especially. Henrik realizes that most of his life is behind him. Maybe withdrawing somewhat is the way he handles it.

Thank you for the translation, Muhler.
Yes, that is what one often observes. The last stadium of life, looking back in retrospect, it can have a profound effect on a person.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:07 AM
Commoner

It seems to me that PH has painful physical limitations, and perhaps he was finding it difficult to be seen to having to be assisted. It may be one factor in his fairly public discontent with his situation.

Thanks for the info, Muhler!🤗
Old 06-14-2016, 08:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Mr Muhler , last year Joachim and Marie were not on the Gärsten photo picture. Why?
Thanks for your interesting threads.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:45 AM
Heir Apparent

There have been several Gråsten summer photo shoots where they have not been there. We always see Queen Margrethe/Prince Henrik and the Crown Prince family there, while other royals (The Berleburgs, Joakim's family, the Greek family etc.) seems to participate varies from year to year... Queen Margrethe/Prince Henrik and Frederik, Mary and children lives each summer 2 weeks at Gråsten. Last year the Crown Prince Family spend their entire summer vacation there with the Regent Couple the last weeks. The other royals seems to come and visits some days if it fits into their summer plans :)

BTW: Billedbladet last week confirmed that Crown Prince Family again this year will spend their summer vacation on Gråsten.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:24 AM
Majesty

You are welcome, Marie-Olivia & Alicia.

IIRC J&M were on holiday with our Marie's French relatives at the time of the Gråsten shoot.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibrarianDaisy View Post
The Queen did seem really happy and relaxed during this first leg of the summer cruise so maybe you're right!
Didn't he.
Old 06-14-2016, 11:06 AM
Heir Apparent

She must be relieved to not have to deal with him right now. I am leaning toward the doesn't like to be seen needing assistance angle, his pride seems to be his main focus
Old 06-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
We most likely will never be given the exact reasons for why he's retired/slowing down/picking and choosing. If it is something physical or mental such as bad arthritis or early stage Alzheimer's or anything else, its not something a person would want made public. With that in mind, I'm going to just opt for the belief that he has good days and bad days and now has the freedom to deal with them as he sees fit.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 06-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
She must be relieved to not have to deal with him right now. I am leaning toward the doesn't like to be seen needing assistance angle, his pride seems to be his main focus
The Queen has been married to him almost 50 years. She knows him from A to Z, and he knows her from Z to A. Together they always seem to have great fun, true soulmates. Everyone who sees the Prince sees his physical limitations, his problems with mobility, the strain he has put on his body for years living a grand burgundian lifestyle. Yes he is a proud man. He is French, after all... nothing new under the sun.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:45 PM
Majesty

PH is indeed officially out of the picture.

QMII send a letter of condolences to President Obama after the shooting in Orlando.
And in there she says I, not the Prince Consort and I.

Dronningen sender offentligt besked til Obama - Herognu
Old 06-14-2016, 01:42 PM
Courtier

That does make me sad. In spite of his humours he does seem to have been a big support for QM all these years.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:27 PM
Gentry

Interesting. After the Brussels attacks in March, a statement from both of them was issued.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:47 PM
Courtier

Henrik's "retirement" saga seems to me to have been needlessly complicated from the start. I don't understand why they couldn't have put out a straightforward notice that Henrik would be slowing down and participating in fewer events and have that be the end of it. I think most Danes would understand that many people don't have the stamina and energy in their 80s that they did when they were younger. Henrik could have shown up to events when he felt able and stayed home when he didn't while still remaining an official part of the RF. There wouldn't have been any need for the title change or the change in signing official letters, (like the letter of condolence), and there wouldn't be the ongoing speculation about what's really happening.
Old 06-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Yes, that would have been the easiest option by far, so it's all the more surprising/mysterious/telling (depending on how you look at it) that they didn't choose that route
Old 06-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
PH is indeed officially out of the picture.

QMII send a letter of condolences to President Obama after the shooting in Orlando.
And in there she says I, not the Prince Consort and I.

Dronningen sender offentligt besked til Obama - Herognu
Well there it is. Very telling.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Majesty

Yes, Camelot23ca, the first thought that ran through my mind was that the retirement had not been planned long before the announcement.