Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm trying to understand prince Henrik. When someone acts irrational, it's very often because it's logical to them, so I want to understand Henriks way of thinking.

While it's more an explanation than an excuse (and God knows he might need one), I think that Henrik is very much a product of his time and culture. A man brought up in the french nobility in those days probably wasn't raised to become a person who walks a few steps behind his wife. Quite the opposite.

Two interesting comparisons are prince Philip and prince Daniel. Philip himself was born into a royal family. He knew what he was getting into when he married princess/queen Elizabeth. I think he has been a bigger support to his wife than anyone can ever imagine. He is also of the same generation as Henrik - that makes him an extra interesting person in this comparison. Prince Philiip knew what to expect when he married Elizabeth. Did count Henri know what to expect when he married Margarethe? I don't think he did.

Then there's prince Daniel. He's married to a future Queen. So far I've seen no sign that he's unhappy with a supportive role. But Daniel has been brought up in another time and culture than prince Henrik and prince Philip. Daniel is from a middle class family in Dalarna, brought up in a very gender equal context during the 1970's. That doesn't mean that prince Daniel is a better person than prince Henrik. They are both children of their times, and that reflects in the way that they embrace their supportive roles.

My take on this is that Henrik didn't truly understand what it meant when he married his wife. Maybe neither of them did. Add to that his temperament, with tantrums like a grumpy teenager, and the realization that he's getting older and still isn't king consort. That's the basic recepie for what we have today.

[...] Philip himself was born into a royal family. He knew what he was getting into when he married princess/queen Elizabeth. I think he has been a bigger support to his wife than anyone can ever imagine. He is also of the same generation as Henrik - that makes him an extra interesting person in this comparison. Prince Philiip knew what to expect when he married Elizabeth. Did count Henri know what to expect when he married Margarethe? I don't think he did. [....]

The comparison between Prince Philip and Prince Henrik does not really match.

Prince Philip was born as HRH Prince Philip of Greece of Denmark. His grandparents were a King of Greece, a Grand-Duchess of Russia, a Prince of Battenberg and a Princess of Hessen-Darmstadt. A completely royal milieu.

Henri de Laborde de Monpezat was born as a French gentilhomme. His grandparents were André de Laborde de Monpezat, Henriette Hallberg, Maurice Pierre Doursenot and Marguérite-Marthe Gay Laforest. It is nothing, in comparison with Prince Philip. A countryside gentry milieu.

From the conservative, remote and rural Cahors (in the Midi-Pyrénées) to Amalienborg in Copenhagen, Denmark is waaaaay more different than from living in Saint-Cloud or Saint-Tropez with aunt Princess George of Greece and Denmark née Marie Bonaparte, Princess Napoléon or from living with his grandmother at Kensington Palace and ending in Buckingham Palace...

No wonder that Henri de Laborde de Monpezat feels 100% like a fish in the water when he lives the life of a seigneur at the Châtau du Caÿx (picture).

Last edited:
Great post Duc. The thing that is funny to me is that between the two of them, one of them definitely acts more "grand" than the other, and it isn't the one whose lineage would warrant it.

Today on the Faroe Islands (Or Faeroe Islands. My spell-check goes up otherwise, but both are right, get it Firefox!) QMII was directly asked whether the fact that she is in the North Atlantic while PH is celebrating his birthday in France is an indication of a de facto divorse.

QMII's reply was: "Nej, bevar mig vel = Good heavens, no".
Dronning Margrethe blev spurgt til rygter: Er det reelt en skilsmisse fra Henrik?

However, in BB #24, this week, Lene Balleby wasasked about the Regent Couple's plans for celebrating their golden anniversary. Would the celebration take place at Cayx?
Lene Balleby: "That's way too early to say anything about... time will tell.
Prince Henrik realize that you as royal can't retire entirely and be completely away from public life and he does still have a long row of official tasks. But the Prince has got/been given a much less prominent role and as such both he and the Queen wish that the celebration of the golden anniversary takes place in private".

- I should perhaps add to the above posts that PH really isn't French rural gentry, he is more colonial gentry. Having lived in Vietnam most of his childhood and youth.

Last edited:
Great post Duc. The thing that is funny to me is that between the two of them, one of them definitely acts more "grand" than the other, and it isn't the one whose lineage would warrant it.

Prince Henri really does not act "more grand". He is who he is. The Pater Familias. But Prince Philip's ascetic lifestyle kept him going strong. Prince Henrik, being a gourmand, a connaisseur and living a burgundian lifestyle has explored life to the max but it took a toll on him, visible for all of us.

As a Béarnois from origin (the Laborde de Monpezats come from the Béarn, a region bordering Pays Basque and the Pyrenées, with quite independent attitudes), despite his youth in French Indochina, he maybe is cocky, proud and well-aware but remember: that is the man Queen Margrethe felt for. The Prince's family, his brothers, all of them looked typically Pyrenées people: hard-headed, proud, cocky.

Maybe Prince Philip is -in the eyes of Prince Henrik- a whimp, a pussycat, as he is always in the shadow of his omni- and overpresent wife. Who knows.

Last edited:
Prince Henrik, being a gourmand, a connaisseur and living a burgundian lifestyle has explored life to the max but it took a toll on him, visible for all of us.

I think he has done very well for this lifestyle. When I look at his belly I am surprised he has made it past 80. And not every ascetic living person makes it to the age of 95.

The comparison between Prince Philip and Prince Henrik does not really match.

Prince Philip was born as HRH Prince Philip of Greece of Denmark. His grandparents were a King of Greece, a Grand-Duchess of Russia, a Prince of Battenberg and a Princess of Hessen-Darmstadt. A completely royal milieu.

Henri de Laborde de Monpezat was born as a French gentilhomme. His grandparents were André de Laborde de Monpezat, Henriette Hallberg, Maurice Pierre Doursenot and Marguérite-Marthe Gay Laforest. It is nothing, in comparison with Prince Philip. A countryside gentry milieu.

From the conservative, remote and rural Cahors (in the Midi-Pyrénées) to Amalienborg in Copenhagen, Denmark is waaaaay more different than from living in Saint-Cloud or Saint-Tropez with aunt Princess George of Greece and Denmark née Marie Bonaparte, Princess Napoléon or from living with his grandmother at Kensington Palace and ending in Buckingham Palace...

No wonder that Henri de Laborde de Monpezat feels 100% like a fish in the water when he lives the life of a seigneur at the Châtau du Caÿx (picture).
Duc- How would you compare the late Prince Claus to his peers: (Phillip, Henrik, Daniel)? Did he struggle as Beatrix's consort?

Today on the Faroe Islands (Or Faeroe Islands. My spell-check goes up otherwise, but both are right, get it Firefox!) QMII was directly asked whether the fact the she in the North Atlantic while PH is celebrating his birthday in France is an indication of a de facto divorse.

QMII's reply was: "Nej, bevar mig well = Good heavens, no".
Dronning Margrethe blev spurgt til rygter: Er det reelt en skilsmisse fra Henrik?

However, in BB #24, this week, Lene Balleby wasasked about the Regent Couple's plans for celebrating their golden anniversary. Would the celebration take place at Cayx?
Lene Balleby: "That's way too early to say anything about... time will tell.
Prince Henrik realize that you as royal can't retire entirely and be completely away from public life and he does still have a long row of official tasks. But the Prince has got/been given a much less prominent role and as such both he and the Queen wish that the celebration of the golden anniversary takes place in private".

- I should perhaps to the above posts that PH really isn't French rural gentry, he is more colonial gentry. Having lived in Vietnam most of his childhood and youth.

Sorry to see that QMII is having to face these types of questions from the press.

Duc- How would you compare the late Prince Claus to his peers: (Phillip, Henrik, Daniel)? Did he struggle as Beatrix's consort?

As far as I know Prince Claus had periods of depression for a long time. Wether he always had them (as in before his marriage) I don’t know. Wether his depression became worse because of his position in life is hard to say since we don’t know what he would be like had he not married princess Beatrix. Also... he’s a very different person. Much more modest. I do know as time went along he became one of the most beloved members of the DRF and I can remember people’s reaction when he died.

Thanks to Muhler for all his post on this matter!

I feel sorry for Queen Margrethe though,very much so,such an examplary Monarch who is put up for life with this selfindulgent "I am over the top important " creature.And for his kids.

I recall Frederik saying in a speech directed to his father,if beating is a show of love,then you must love us very much....Ever since this man disgusts me.

As I've said before: I really like Queen Margrethe, but she has her faults, as I wrote in this post:
The Future of the Danish Monarchy - Page 26 - The Royal Forums

As for her (Margrethe) to be put up for life with this selfindulgent "I am over the top important" creature is for sure difficult for her, but she is actually a bit like him when it comes to "I am over the top important" behavior, and Joachim have inherit it after them.

When it comes to the relationship between Margrethe and Henrik: It seems to me that they really enjoys each others company and Margrethe has said that it is important for their relationship that they spends time apart. It has also been claimed that she agrees with Henrik in the King thing.

And yes, Henrik was a bad father, but Margrethe was a equal bad mother (she has said so herself).

Sorry to see that QMII is having to face these types of questions from the press.

Yes it is, but are there one who can handle the press, then it's Margrethe.

Last edited:
Could someone please tell me if Prince Henrik has always been the same during his married life? I actually never read much about them until this forum. Not much about any of the Royals made American news until recent years. Except for UK, of course.

:previous: Well, he sure has had his quirks. And as you know he has also had his tantrums, the most well-known when he ran off to France because he felt usurped by his son and no longer was number two in the family.

I've heard family members of mine talking about what was heard about town back in the early days of the marriage and also in the early days of QMII & PH being the Regent Couple. - That PH had a few problems about being the one who should walk behind QMII. And that Queen Ingrid had stepped in and told him where his place was in the pecking order. - With Queen Ingrid being the matron of the family, PH's upbringing would prohibit him from protesting.
Of course I can't say if that's correct, but it's believed as the gospel truth by most in the generation older than me.

However, judging from his complaints it seems pretty clear that there is something in what was said. He seems to have genuine problems about not officially being, as well being seen and treated, as the patron of the family.
I've been told that this is far from uncommon from French men of his generation and his background. - Dad is the patron, period!

I'd say PH is stuck in the 1950's.

And he has never really understood and/or accepted what it means to be Prince Consort, that you are the main support of your wife. Not the patron.
And he has never really understood/accepted Danish culture, where titles means very little. And where a dad is supposed to bring up and support his sons as independent individuals and that you have succeeded the day you and your children look each other in the eyes as equals.

Last edited:
Royal brides the world over have married into foreign royal families and have been expected to assimilate, and assume the country's culture (and drop their own on a dime). But not Henrik...different rules apply to him. :whistling:

And that Queen Ingrid had stepped in and told him where his place was in the pecking order. - With Queen Ingrid being the matron of the family, PH's upbringing would prohibit him from protesting.
Of course I can't say if that's correct, but it's believed as the gospel truth by most in the generation older than me.
I have a memory book about Queen Ingrid from mellemgaard, and in a quote under a picture of Ingrid and Henrik, it says that a newspaper (in the early 1980s) more than suggested in several articles that the relationship between them was chilly, but that she chose to deny this under a concert in 1983 where they stood close to each other, and he took his arm around her.

And I agree, Henrik is stuck in the 1950's.

Last edited:
Royal brides the world over have married into foreign royal families and have been expected to assimilate, and assume the country's culture (and drop their own on a dime). But not Henrik...different rules apply to him. :whistling:

Yes but adapting has always been normal for women. And women adapting always been normal for men. Hence Prince Philip’s comment about being the only man not being able to give his name to his children. I’m happy times are changing.

Part of me finds it a bit offensive when he complains about being the victim of sexism. Is he kidding?? The sexism part is where king still ranks higher than queen.

A Queen Regnant is the same rank as King.

Thanks Muhler! Funny enough, the one who would deserve it (Prince Philip), with regard to his service, sense of duty and effort, would be humble enough to decline!

Prince Philip doesn't even have the title of Prince Consort. I was told that the reason for this is because Elizabeth the Queen Mother told her daughter not to give him it. She didn't really like Philip and referred to him as "the Hun."

Prince Henrik stated that in Scotland the husbands of Queens were always given the title King but this is not so. Scotland has had six Queen Regnants, Queen Margaret died as a child and was never married. Queen Mary I did give Lord Darnley the title although he is never referred to as King. Queen Mary II was equal monarch with her husband William of Orange and the husbands of Queens Anne, Victoria and Elizabeth had/have the title Prince.

Last edited by a moderator:
A Queen Regnant is the same rank as King.

I know. But the title of queen should be equal to that of king. And the mere fact that it is not is why PH can't become king. The idea that a woman needs an extra title to prove she is queen in her own right and not because she married is silly and offensive. Dump queen consort and make every spouse prince(ess) consort. And drop the regnant behind queen.

:previous: While I agree with you, Elenath, that queen traditionally is not equal to king, I don't think we in the holy name of gender equality should abolish the concept of queen (consort) just because one man can't accept his role.

The whole concept of royalty is very much about inequality. It's also very much about traditional roles, also in regards to gender-related roles.

So as I see it, men who marry future monarchs just have to accept they'll never become majesties and that their titles will "only" be prince. And if they can't accept that, well bou hou.

It's a title. You may call a spade "a manually operated digging tool" but it's still a spade.

Personally I want to see Mary as queen (I think she deserves the title). I don't want to see her demoted to princess-consort - just because of gender-equality. That I think also ruins some of the magic.

PH is a high as he can get here in DK. He holds second place in protocol issues. He's entered Danish history. He'll be buried at Roskilde among kings and queens.
QMII chose him as her husband, but the Danish state did not select him as a kind of Bernadotte.

Last edited:
In English perhaps.

But certainly in Scandinavia they are full queen and majesty, even if they are really "only" queen-consorts. I imagine it's because according to the Constitution and the Law of Succession, the king is the monarch.
In other words QMII's title really ought to be King Margrethe II of Denmark.
That is interesting. I never realised that there was a difference between countries. In the Netherlands too Beatrix formally was King AND Queen.

And as pointed out by quite a few commentators here in DK, if we are to be absolutely in accordance with the Constitution and equal rights, PH's title really ought to be Queen Henrik of Denmark. - Somehow I don't think he would like that option... But he would be majesty rather than HRH.
Hahaha!!

Henri de Laborde de Monpezat was countryside gentry, as we have seen. But then rough,rural, rocky Pyrenées countryside.

His contemporary Claus von Amsberg was countryside nobility. His grandparents were Wilhelm von Amsberg (Briefadel from Mecklenburg), Elise von Vieregge (Uradel from Mecklenburg), Georg Freiherr von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen (Uradel from Westphalia) and Gabrielle Marie Freiin von dem Bussche-Ippenburg (Uradel from Westphalia).

The transformation of Henri (from Vietnam and the French Pyrenées to Copenhagen) seems bigger than the transformation of Claus (from Mecklenburg to The Hague). But in reality we can say nothing because Prince Henrik seems a guy enjoying the good things of life and he seems in good spirits too. Prince Claus suffered severe depressions since the beginning of the Eighties. He never healed and got more physical problems (Parkinson).

Thanks, to all the posters on this topic. I've found it a very interesting, many-faceted discussion.?

:previous: Well, he sure has had his quirks. And as you know he has also had his tantrums, the most well-known when he ran off to France because he felt usurped by his son and no longer was number two in the family.

I've heard family members of mine talking about what was heard about town back in the early days of the marriage and also in the early days of QMII & PH being the Regent Couple. - That PH had a few problems about being the one who should walk behind QMII. And that Queen Ingrid had stepped in and told him where his place was in the pecking order. - With Queen Ingrid being the matron of the family, PH's upbringing would prohibit him from protesting.

However, judging from his complaints it seems pretty clear that there is something in what was said. He seems to have genuine problems about not officially being, as well being seen and treated, as the patron of the family.
I've been told that this is far from uncommon from French men of his generation and his background. - Dad is the patron, period!

I'd say PH is stuck in the 1950's.

And he has never really understood and/or accepted what it means to be Prince Consort, that you are the main support of your wife. Not the patron.
And he has never really understood/accepted Danish culture, where titles means very little. And where a dad is supposed to bring up and support his sons as independent individuals and that you have succeeded the day you and your children look each other in the eyes as equals.

The dashing off to France bit was at the time of the wedding of QM II's godchild Willem-Alexanders wedding with Máxima in 2002.He left her then and there and took off just like that,no sense of whats what and how things are done in Royal circles whatshowever,just his own circle,me moi et moi.I dare say he's a bit of a spectacle to put it mildly.A travesty.

While PH certainly has his faults, we should also remember that he has his good sides as well.

On the positive side he has always, until recently that is, done his duty.
And he and QMII have always been very fond of each other - even if, repeat if, they have now grown apart.
There has never been any rumors that he has been chasing other women. And that to the point that he called a LiW his "mistress" without anyone battering an eyelid.
He's a good people's person, in the sense that he can talk and joke with anyone.
He's entertaining! Just look at the way he dress - no other royal come anywhere near him! And on the job, he usually goof a little so the photographers have something and to ease the mood.
QMII, at least until recently, had a tendency to become a giggling blushing schoolgirl in love when they are on the job together.
His art is certainly not uninteresting and his poems... I mean anyone who can write love-poems to his dogs is special.
His open and unorthodox.
And he is a loving grandad.

On the other hand he is very self-centered.
Has a tendency to feel sorry for himself.
Feels he's the most important person present - regardless of where and with whom.
He's conservative to the point of being an anachronism. - He would be perfectly at home in the French nobility anno 1740.

But first and foremost he is human. And that's why this thread is so alive and well.
PH often give me a good chuckle and five minutes later I just want to put him in a box and ship him to: The Second Atol to the Left, Palau Nowhere, The Pacific! - No return address...

I have a soft spot for Prince Henrik. He is a colourful figure. Margrethe still seems to swoon over him. When the family is at Caÿx, he really seems to be the Pater Familias and Margrethe seems to enjoy the role "I am just the wife, you know". So laid-back, so easygoing. I think the retirement of the Prince is well earned and is probably rooted in a decline in his physical abilities.

It just dawned on me, reading this paragraph that dealt with the Prince Consort's "retirement" in the Queen speech:

"Tonight, however, I would like to extend my best thanks to the Prince Consort. My husband has made the decision that the time has now come for him to slow down or, if I may use a common Danish term to retire. Going forward, the Prince Consort will therefore only to a very limited extent partake in the official events, which for so many years have been a natural part of his life. It is his decision, which I understand and respect. I am deeply grateful for all the support, help and inspiration he has given me over the years. I look forward to continuing to carry out my duties with the support of my husband, though it will be less visible."

If the phrase, "or if I may use a common Danish term to retire" had not been added by way of explanation from the Queen, the whole 26-page long debate (and counting) on this forum and others as to the real reason behind the "retirement" would and could have been avoided. Hindsight is twenty-twenty.

While PH certainly has his faults, we should also remember that he has his good sides as well.

On the positive side he has always, until recently that is, done his duty.
And he and QMII have always been very fond of each other - even if, repeat if, they have now grown apart.
There has never been any rumors that he has been chasing other women. And that to the point that he called a LiW his "mistress" without anyone battering an eyelid.
He's a good people's person, in the sense that he can talk and joke with anyone.
He's entertaining! Just look at the way he dress - no other royal come anywhere near him! And on the job, he usually goof a little so the photographers have something and to ease the mood.
QMII, at least until recently, had a tendency to become a giggling blushing schoolgirl in love when they are on the job together.
His art is certainly not uninteresting and his poems... I mean anyone who can write love-poems to his dogs is special.
His open and unorthodox.
And he is a loving grandad.

On the other hand he is very self-centered.
Has a tendency to feel sorry for himself.
Feels he's the most important person present - regardless of where and with whom.
He's conservative to the point of being an anachronism. - He would be perfectly at home in the French nobility anno 1740.

But first and foremost he is human. And that's why this thread is so alive and well.
PH often give me a good chuckle and five minutes later I just want to put him in a box and ship him to: The Second Atol to the Left, Palau Nowhere, The Pacific! - No return address...

That's a great post and really at his age I suppose we should be all free to do what we want just like he is doing.

If the phrase, "or if I may use a common Danish term to retire" had not been added by way of explanation from the Queen, the whole 26-page long debate (and counting) on this forum and others as to the real reason behind the "retirement" would and could have been avoided. Hindsight is twenty-twenty.

You make an excellent point here. Now I'm going to pose a question and hopefully get a bit of feedback on it. Its a "what if" kind of thing.

What if both Margrethe and Henrik put their heads together and figured out that maybe with Henrik "slowing down" or "retiring" it opens the gates for Margrethe to take a breather when she needed to just recoup and rest and no one would complain with the reason given that she was spending time with her husband and family?

:previous: As in taking an indefinite leave?

Within 24 hours everyone would be using the word abdication!
That would be followed by wild speculations as to whether QMII and/or PH are seriously ill.
Within a month there would be a serious public discussion as to whether QMII should abdicate and whether this is an unofficial abdication.
Within two months it would be considered a de facto regency and serious calls would be aired urging/suggesting QMII to abdicate since she has basically retired anyway.
After six months M&F are the Regent Couple, and there will be no turning back.

- Not because people are dissatisfied with her. Oh no! But because M&F are seen to be ready to take over.

Ahhh Gotcha.

I just thought it might be a plausible reason for Margrethe to get the flu and not feel 100% and whisk off to where Henrik is at the time.

I do come up with silly stuff sometimes. ;)

:previous: As in taking an indefinite leave?

Within 24 hours everyone would be using the word abdication!
That would be followed by wild speculations as to whether QMII and/or PH are seriously ill.
Within a month there would be a serious public discussion as to whether QMII should abdicate and whether this is an unofficial abdication.
Within two months it would be considered a de facto regency and serious calls would be aired urging/suggesting QMII to abdicate since she has basically retired anyway.
After six months M&F are the Regent Couple, and there will be no turning back.

- Not because people are dissatisfied with her. Oh no! But because M&F are seen to be ready to take over.

Not an indefinite leave but she could very well take much more time off, travel the word with her husband, stay at Cayx with him and so on.

The next in line is perfectly capable of handling things in her abscense.
Are there things that QM has to do and that only she can do? If Frederik is regent, is he not then the "King" ?

Back
Top Bottom