The Duchess of Cornwall Current Events 13: January 2010-September 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Times' leader column has a section on Camilla's honour, further highlighting her growing popularity among the British people:

It has been a very slow rehabilitation, a gradual warming, a steady application of tact, patience and forbearance to win over a sceptical public. But the Duchess of Cornwall, once widely reviled as “the other woman”, has quietly endeared herself to the nation by her unstuffy manner, her commonsense approachability and her dedication to the many charitable causes that she has taken on.
In recognition of her work in this field, and “personal services” to the Queen, she has been appointed to the highest rank in the Royal Victorian Order, that part of the honours system within the monarch’s gift. It is an honour that makes little difference to the schedule or standing of the Duchess. But it is one that is well deserved.
In the seven years since her marriage to the Prince of Wales, she has carried out hundreds of public engagements — on her own, with Prince Charles or, increasingly, a few steps behind the Queen herself. And the more her confidence and experience have grown, the more relaxed she has appeared in situations where formality might preclude spontaneous warmth. Her recent delight at being given one of those woolly jumpers made famous by Sarah Lund revealed that she, like thousands of others, has been hooked on The Killing. And where better to say so than in Denmark?
As well as character, she has shown courage, taking on causes that others might have shied away from. As patron of Barnado’s, for example, she has given her support to the charity as it tackles the horrific cases of sexual exploitation of children. This is putting the power of her prestige to work for the public good. It is to be applauded. She has long outgrown those early image-makers. Her tact, steadiness and humour have prevailed.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/leaders/article3379112.ece

I couldn't say it better myself.

This is a wonderful tribute to Camilla. Recognition like this, both from the Queen and the media, paves an easier way for her to become Queen Consort. Thanks for posting, EIIR, it's really nice to read this.

Last edited:
A while back, I looked at the history of consorts honored with the Order of the Garter. Edward VII gave it to Queen Alexandra the year of his ascension. George V gave it to Queen Mary when he came to the throne. George VI gave it to Queen Elizabeth in his first batch of Garter recipients after he became king.

But in a slight break with tradition, George VI gave it to the Prince Philip in 1947. He did, however, give it to Princess Elizabeth a day earlier so that she would be senior to Philip. So I realized that Camilla would someday receive the Order of the Garter once Charles came to the throne, but I wondered if Queen Elizabeth would be willing to extend such an honor to Camilla.

My point (yes, I'm getting there!) is that Camilla receiving the Royal Victorian Order from the queen makes it much more likely that she might receive the Order of the Garter within the next few years. As it stands, the heir to the throne has it and so does the heir to the heir to the throne. Why not the wife of the heir after she has carried out her duties with distinction?

Delightful - and so nice that the Royal Family has these devices.

I too would like to see Camilla get the Garter from The Queen rather than wait until it is almost automatic under Charles. I don't think she will give it to her mind you but it would be lovely if she did.

I don't find it (nor do I think it) necessary that Camilla should be made a Knight of the Order of the Garter before Charles succeeds his mother. That she has now been made a GCVO does not make any future bestowment during the incumbent reign all the more likely either.

The Order of the Garter is the principal state affiliated order of chivalry. It is not in the Queen's personal gift, thus, she can not bestow it upon whomever she see's fit. The appropriate advice from within her government dictates as to who is elevated.

I personally feel that such an honour is best received by the British royal consort at a time of significant transition. I guess in a sense symbolising the arrival of a 'new guard'.

Camilla now has an official order and that will undoubtedly make do for the time being and rightly so.

Last edited:
Madame Royale said:
I don't find it (nor do I think it) necessary that Camilla should be made a Knight of the Order of the Garter before Charles succeeds his mother. That she has now been made a GCVO does not make any future bestowment during the incumbent reign all the more likely either.

The Order of the Garter is the principal state affiliated order of chivalry. It is not in the Queen's personal gift, thus, she can not bestow it upon whomever she see's fit. The appropriate advice from within her government dictates as to who is elevated.

I personally feel that such an honour is best received by the British royal consort at a time of significant transition. I guess in a sense symbolising the arrival of a 'new guard'.

Camilla now has an official order and that will undoubtedly make do for the time being and rightly so.

According to the official Royal website, while the Order of the Garter was bestowed on advice of the government from the 18th century to 1946, since then it has been in the personal gift of the monarch.

I'm pleased Camilla has been granted her honour. I agree it shows the esteem in which she is held by the Queen. It is well deserved.

The Garter is definitely in the personal gift of the monarch. There are still four honours totally within the personal gift on the monarch - The Garter, The Thistle, The Order of Merit (which she gave to former Australian PM John Howard earlier this year) and the Royal Victorian Order (which she gave to Camilla yesterday).

All other honours have to go through the PM and the cabinet.

According to the official Royal website, while the Order of the Garter was bestowed on advice of the government from the 18th century to 1946, since then it has been in the personal gift of the monarch.

I'm pleased Camilla has been granted her honour. I agree it shows the esteem in which she is held by the Queen. It is well deserved.

Always happy to be corrected if infact mistaken on such matters. I need to do a little catch up on the honours system it would appear!

Still, this does no alter my opinion on the matter in reference to Camilla.

Last edited:
I'm so glad for Camilla (and Charles for that matter.....great news!

I feel that perhaps the reason Philip got it early is because he's a male who's in the fairly unique position (particularly in those days) of being the junior partner in his marriage. George VI had to know that that's a position that most men would find difficult, and maybe gave him the Garter early to try and 'even the playing field' somewhat, particularly while Elizabeth was still a Princess.

I certainly don't feel that Camilla's likely to get the Garter until Charles is King, but I'm sure she won't have to wait long (if at all) to receive it from Charles III.

Last edited:
Camilla will inevitably be granted the Order of the Garter but there has to be a vacancy first of all and I also think that its a matter of balancing no. of royals with others (politicians, eminent people etc). It isn't just for royalty.

:previous:
Currently, there are only twenty two Knights and Ladies Companion, meaning two positions are vacant.
In addition, members of the British royal family are not included on the list of Companions: they are Royal Knights and Ladies.
Similarly, members of foreign royal families, such as the King of Norway and the Emperor of Japan, are Stranger Knights and Ladies.

Camilla could be made Royal Lady of the Order of the Garter at any time; in fact, I fully expect her to become one within the next few years. Honours are bestowed gradually, so it makes sense she was first granted the Family Order, then RVO - Garter should be next on the list.

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you for the update Artemesia - didn't realise there were current vacancies:flowers:

You are welcome. :)
The two orders - Garter and Thistle - have lately become something like a hobby for me.

:previous:

Camilla could be made Royal Lady of the Order of the Garter at any time; in fact, I fully expect her to become one within the next few years. Honours are bestowed gradually, so it makes sense she was first granted the Family Order, then RVO - Garter should be next on the list.

I ecpect she will not become a member of the Garter during the lifetime of the present Queen but Charles will bestow it her as one of the first following the precedents of Edward VII. and George V. and George VI.

:previous: Sounds logical. I think perhaps Harry may beat her to it in that case.

I wouldn't be surprised if Harry also has to wait for his father to become King.

For the Garter there are 24 regular knights but royal knights don't count - there could literally be hundreds of them (there aren't but there could be).

I think if Harry serves a further tour in Afghanistan, the Queen might take the opportunity to 'reward' him by making him a Garter Knight. Otherwise, I see him having to wait for his father to become King.

She made her own younger sons wait until their mid-40s. Why would she therefore reward her younger grandson at a younger age than she did for her own sons? It would be an insult to Andrew and Edward for Harry to get that award for doing nothing much at all while they had to work for years for the Queen to get that reward from their own mother.

I don't think serving (potentially) twice in Afghanistan could be considered 'nothing much at all'. Particularly while the Afghanistan campaign is ongoing and has cost us over 400 men and women so far, Harry's willingness to put his life on the line for the nation when he could just as easily be sitting in barracks at home, is very significant. The British people have a great deal of respect and admiration for Harry's service. I can imagine the Queen wanting to honour that while she's still around to do so.

She could give exactly the same honour she gave Andrew for his service in The Falklands campaign. He too was admired for his war service. He didn't receive any more acknowledgement than given to the rest of those who served.

What you are suggesting is that she should honour her grandson for serving his country with a greater honour than she gave her own son for the same reason - serving his country in a war.

Sorry but that is just saying that The Queen should honour her grandson more than her own son - but with no reason for doing so.

I'm also of the opinion that the Queen will stick to tradition and have Charles give Camilla the garter when he's King.

It's highly unlikely the Queen will give Harry the Garter while he is still in his 20s or 30s, regardless of whether he serves in Afghanistan or not. Considering the amount of brave men and women who have served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, it would be an insult to them to have Harry singled out for the Garter. Why not them?

The Queen made her own sons wait until their 40s, her cousins until they were in their 50s and they had many years of service to her. The Queen hasn't been overly generous with the personal honours she gives out, she seems to feel they need to be earned and gives them out sparingly.

William was a special case getting the Garter at 26, but that was so that he could have been the 1000th knight. Had he got the Garter at a later date it wouldn't have had that special number.

You are welcome. :)
The two orders - Garter and Thistle - have lately become something like a hobby for me.

Artemisia. I am continually amazed at your knowledge of all these things royal - or maybe just British Royal? And you are new to TRF, to boot. I assume this has been a life-long hobby of yours.

Last edited:
The Queen hasn't been overly generous with the personal honours she gives out, she seems to feel they need to be earned and gives them out sparingly.

An entirely sensible and admirabe system of selection! Certainly in my mind it would all but diminish the prestige of such honours otherwise.

Artemisia. I am continually amazed at your knowledge of all these things royal - or maybe just British Royal? And you are new to TRF, to boot. I assume this been a life-long hobby of yours.
Although genealogy has always been a hobby of mine, I have never been particularly interested in royals until I watched Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel's wedding. I'm mainly interested in Swedish, Norwegian and British royals, as well as non-reigning ones (mainly, from genealogical point of view). Since there was a lot to learn, I tried to go through older threads to catch up; now, in addition to genealogy, I'm positively addicted to jewellery threads.

Charlotte1 said:
I'm also of the opinion that the Queen will stick to tradition and have Charles give Camilla the garter when he's King.

It's highly unlikely the Queen will give Harry the Garter while he is still in his 20s or 30s, regardless of whether he serves in Afghanistan or not. Considering the amount of brave men and women who have served in both Iraq and Afghanistan, it would be an insult to them to have Harry singled out for the Garter. Why not them?
I believe the Queen will eventually create Camilla Royal Lady of the Order of the Garter purely because that would be the clearest and final indication of "acceptance". And for various reasons, it is quite important for Camilla's future role alongside her husband. As for Prince Harry, it seems unlikely he'll be made Royal Knight of the Order of Garter until Prince Charles is King.

Last edited:
I'm positively addicted to jewellery threads.

I am beginning to see the fascination. Never realized how beautiful such objects can be.

Interesting factoid I came across: Diamonds were only 'discovered' in something like 1710 or something. Totally new idea to me.

Also, that wearing a crown or hair/head ornamentation is falrly 'recent' for royal ladies as since the fall of Rome (up until maybe the late Renaissance, I think the poster said) women were obliged to wear a hair covering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom